Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

NEW ARTICLE: Completely disillusioned

Comments

• Options
    What total confusion !!

couple of weeks back anyone who thought Parky was crap(he was) was not geting behind the team---some even suggested people not behind Parky should go elsewhere----------------many had startd to do just that.

Muzza had no money---nothing left-----we were potless.

Yet within a few days of geting new owners the same people who were slagging people off for not backing Parky are calling the new owners liars and threeating to walk away if Denis Wise gets the managers job !!!

The Charlton Way ????????? its the fans--yes the ones that boo and the ones that dont. Its the fans who cleared the ground of weeds all those years ago-its the fans who started Valley Party-----------its the Fans Director and possibly the Trust. The Charlton Way is about us -------how we helped save the club and how the club treated us. This started dying along tome before the new owners.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]
    couple of weeks back anyone who thought Parky was crap(he was) was not geting behind the team...yet within a few days of geting new owners the same people who were slagging people off for not backing Parky are calling the new owners liars and threating to walk away if Denis Wise gets the managers job !!!

Perhaps those who are calling the new owners ''liars'' should read Richard Murray's words:

'I think we've found the right people - football people who have also got the money to stabilise the club and give us a good future. Of course we know what a good guy Peter is and what a good job he's done for the club... iIf you ask me 'why Michael and Tony?', I wanted it to be football people. People who will take a long-term view. People who have the necessary money to make this club stable. 'That doesn't mean throwing money at it like some clubs have done, but enough to make sure we're in business and that we're a solid club.''
  • Options
    I'm struggling to find a lot of evidence to support the description of Slater and Jiminez as 'football people'. But if RM says it, then maybe it's true.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]I'm struggling to find a lot of evidence to support the description of Slater and Jiminez as 'football people'. But if RM says it, then maybe it's true.

Must admit I also thought that when it was mentioned ... Jiminez to an extent I guess, but Slater?
  • Options
    Ormiston, you really need stop being so over the top.

So, we are not allowed to criticise our manager? If we can see with the evidence of our own eyes that he appears to have no idea what to do (see Red5's post) as a another disappointing result unfolds before us?

We must be deferential and doff our caps to those with 'football experience' who live in a richly rewarded, cosseted world that the rest of us with real jobs in the real world can only dream of? Parky was not up to the task in hand as he demonstrated again and again and we simply said it as we saw it. He will now leave us with our best wishes and another pay-off, despite failure to achieve what he was (well) paid to do. He will get another job elsewhere before long and another club will be the beneficiary of his dubious brand of football. I bet that there are unemployed Charlton fans who have just lost their jobs who would love to be in a position like that. I would too.

On Monday night, our new owners were publicly humiliated and the fans voted with their feet. So, it was clear the fans had had enough and the players could not be arsed to put in a perfromance to stop Parky getting the sack...never mind, they probably had nice dinner dates later that evening and were too busy thinking about what to have from the wine list. His team were once again playing the kind of rubbish football that has seen our fans gradually draining away, unable to inflict such a depressing punishment upon themselves in a game that is supposed to be a form of 'entertainment'. They saw the ball being lumped up to the managers biggest signing in a completely uneffective manner that also made that player, rightly or wrongly, look useless and a waste of money. Add to this the sight of our manager stood on the touchline, arms folded, looking for all the world like a man devoid of ideas who had thrown in the towel. So when they are thinking about handing him money to spend on new players the next day, it is fair to say that they probably started to have second thoughts.

Honestly, what did you really expect to happen?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Excellent post HI, sums up my own stance perfectly.

As an aside, can we try and refrain from the term 'Parky haters' ? I don't think anyone hated Parky. Didn't think he was good enough as manager, yes, but hate ? Don't think so.

Ps. Would happily put myself up for Chairman of the Wise Hating Committee

Fair enough AFKA but I continue to believe that the way Parkinson has been talked about on here by certain individuals is an absolute bloody disgrace and an embarrassment.

Fine to criticise him and his performance in reasonable terms but some of the comments were way out line and totally disrepectful to a man who has spent a lifetime in the professional game. Do these people visit their GP and if unhappy with their consultation tell him to his face that he is "technically inept" or "clueless"?

He was a decent man working his bollocks off for the club and did not deserve the vitriol he got, most of which came about solely because of his association with Pardew.

If Wise joins then I will be vice-chairman of that committee.

Parkinson didn't get vitriol because "he was a decent man working his bollocks off for the club" he got it because he had been promoted to a level of incompetence. He didn't have the decency to resign, with dignity, when it was clear that every system he tried had failed and that the signings he made had not come up to expectation.

The best advice you can give a football manager is "leave before you're sacked". A sacked manager gets financially compensated but bears the scars of a tarnished reputation.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Parkinson gets 6 months pay and may or maynot find a job immediately or in the close season - good luck to him I say as he's left the club in a better position than any of his predecessors since curbs... lower league yes but serious chances of promotion and without thousands going out every week on players nowhere near the first team, i.e., a great platform - IMHO he's been a great servant to Richard Murray and the club building stability out of the Pardew/Dowie mess - so basically assisting in the sale of the club

He had to go now because we are running out of time to make this season a success

We are all disillusioned - I gave up buying season tickets two years back! But I'll be straight back with a half season ticket if the new crowd make the right moves on and off the pitch
  • Options
    You can only judge people on not what they say but what they actually do. They have sacked the manager after witnessing the same crap football we have all watched for the last seven or eight games. I think we all need to take a step back see who they actually appoint because they still have not appointed anyone have they everyone has just guessed. Also we need to wait & see who we sign as well & the calibre of player we get, we will then and only then know where we are & where we are going. Far too much speculation let's just wait & see.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Full Metal Addick wrote;- ' The best advice you can give a football manager is "leave before you're sacked". A sacked manager gets financially compensated but bears the scars of a tarnished reputation.'

One of the consolations for me has been that I do not think that Parky will find his reputation tarnished. He has made a lot of friends, and has been sacked in what is widely seen as a ridiculous season for the number of managers sacked. We on the other hand may yet come to be seen as the 'tarnished ones'. From the article by Richard Bevan below, the sacking of Parky is portrayed in a very different way. There exist also I suspect, a few stories, which, if they come to light, will enhance Parky's reputation.

Richard Bevan, chief executive of the LMA said,

It is extremely disappointing that Phil has become the next manager to get the sack in this new year period. It is even more remarkable given Charlton currently sit 5th in npower league one, only three points from the automatic promotion places. Phil was awarded the npower manager of the month award as recently as November, testament to the outstanding work he has done with his squad so far this season, following a summer that saw the turnover of over 30 players in his playing staff. Charlton are losing a young, talented manager, whom at the age of 43 has already managed over 300 games. Without a doubt Phil will take his knowledge and skills to another club where I am certain he will be a success. Phil’s departure will be a big loss to Charlton Athletic Football club, its players and its fans.
    Notes to editors:
    Phil Parkinson was appointed manager of Charlton Athletic in December 2008 after a spell as caretaker manager.

Phil leaves the Valley with the club placed in 5th position in npower League One, just three points adrift of the automatic promotion places. This season Phil also led Charlton to the third round of The FA Cup where they will face Tottenham Hotspur at White Hart Lane.

In his first full season he guided Charlton to the play-off places in League One, where his side narrowly missed out on the final on penalties to Swindon. Earlier in the season, Parkinson guided the club to the top of the league with six straight wins at the start of the season, which earned him the manager of the month award for August 2009.

Phil, a holder of the UEFA Pro License was initially appointed as assistant manager to Alan Pardew on January 5th, 2007. He has also previously managed Colchester United and Hull City.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: stilladdicted[/cite]Full Metal Addick wrote;- ' The best advice you can give a football manager is "leave before you're sacked". A sacked manager gets financially compensated but bears the scars of a tarnished reputation.'

One of the consolations for me has been that I do not think that Parky will find his reputation tarnished. He has made a lot of friends, and has been sacked in what is widely seen as a ridiculous season for the number of managers sacked. We on the other hand may yet come to be seen as the 'tarnished ones'. From the article by Richard Bevan below, the sacking of Parky is portrayed in a very different way.

Richard Bevan, chief executive of the LMA said,

It is extremely disappointing that Phil has become the next manager to get the sack in this new year period. It is even more remarkable given Charlton currently sit 5th in npower league one, only three points from the automatic promotion places. Phil was awarded the npower manager of the month award as recently as November, testament to the outstanding work he has done with his squad so far this season, following a summer that saw the turnover of over 30 players in his playing staff. Charlton are losing a young, talented manager, whom at the age of 43 has already managed over 300 games. Without a doubt Phil will take his knowledge and skills to another club where I am certain he will be a success. Phil’s departure will be a big loss to Charlton Athletic Football club, its players and its fans.
    Notes to editors:
    Phil Parkinson was appointed manager of Charlton Athletic in December 2008 after a spell as caretaker manager.

Phil leaves the Valley with the club placed in 5th position in npower League One, just three points adrift of the automatic promotion places. This season Phil also led Charlton to the third round of The FA Cup where they will face Tottenham Hotspur at White Hart Lane.

In his first full season he guided Charlton to the play-off places in League One, where his side narrowly missed out on the final on penalties to Swindon. Earlier in the season, Parkinson guided the club to the top of the league with six straight wins at the start of the season, which earned him the manager of the month award for August 2009.

Phil, a holder of the UEFA Pro License was initially appointed as assistant manager to Alan Pardew on January 5th, 2007. He has also previously managed Colchester United and Hull City.

Chief of managers union in support of sacked manager shock!

Perhaps if he had to pay to watch patchy (at very best) perfomances week in week out he might be a bit more understanding of the decision but since he doesn't...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm not disagreeing with the decision, merely pointing out that it may be portrayed in very different ways.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Full Metal Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Excellent post HI, sums up my own stance perfectly.

As an aside, can we try and refrain from the term 'Parky haters' ? I don't think anyone hated Parky. Didn't think he was good enough as manager, yes, but hate ? Don't think so.

Ps. Would happily put myself up for Chairman of the Wise Hating Committee

Fair enough AFKA but I continue to believe that the way Parkinson has been talked about on here by certain individuals is an absolute bloody disgrace and an embarrassment.

Fine to criticise him and his performance in reasonable terms but some of the comments were way out line and totally disrepectful to a man who has spent a lifetime in the professional game. Do these people visit their GP and if unhappy with their consultation tell him to his face that he is "technically inept" or "clueless"?

He was a decent man working his bollocks off for the club and did not deserve the vitriol he got, most of which came about solely because of his association with Pardew.

If Wise joins then I will be vice-chairman of that committee.

Parkinson didn't get vitriol because "he was a decent man working his bollocks off for the club" he got it because he had been promoted to a level of incompetence. He didn't have the decency to resign, with dignity, when it was clear that every system he tried had failed and that the signings he made had not come up to expectation.

The best advice you can give a football manager is "leave before you're sacked". A sacked manager gets financially compensated but bears the scars of a tarnished reputation.

Thanks for proving my point for me so well.

How can any logical person make a claim like that and expect to be take seriously? How can you claim that Parkinson had been "promoted to a level of incompetence" - that is a shockingly juvenile thing to say about the bloke.

Let's see now, if Basey/Elliott had not combined to feck up and allow Dave Martin to equalise for Millwall in injury time last year and deny us a 4-3 win then we would have gone up automatically. If McCleod scores at Carrow Rd to make it 3-1 then the same applies. Would Parkinson have been "incompetent" then? How about "technically inept"?

The key thing is would you have the balls to say that to Parkinson's face? Not a chance in hell.

Read Henry Irving's post on another thread where he explains why he thought that Parkinson had reached the end of the road, that was a well-reasoned, thoughtful argument with no pathetic name-calling involved and certainly made me re-examine my own views that PP had been badly done by.

Bigstemarra claims that I am saying that we should not ever criticise the manager - where did I ever, ever say that? I didn't. What I said was that people should criticise without insulting and belittling someone with ridiculous claims.

How can someone who sits on their fat arse in the stands and has never played/coached in the professional game call Parkinson "tactically inept" - do they know how stupid that makes them sound? Still, that is part of the Talkback culture where every Tom, Dick or Harry thinks they are bloody Jose Mourinho because they play a few games of Football Manager on their Playstation.

Regardless, we have now become a "sacking" club again, after our proud record of having just two managers in 22 years we are now on course for our sixth manager in five years. Great.
  • Options
    Six managers in five years is absolutely fine if that's what it takes to get it right.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    How can any logical person make a claim like that and expect to be take seriously? How can you claim that Parkinson had been "promoted to a level of incompetence" - that is a shockingly juvenile thing to say about the bloke.

You really do need to calm down, Ormiston. I don't particularly agree with the poster who came out with the ''shocking level of incompetence'' statement. But it's a fair view and you should not be denigrating in such insulting terms.

The key thing is would you have the balls to say that to Parkinson's face? Not a chance in hell.

Again, that's very tendentious and you shouldn't assasinate someone's character like that. I thought character assasination was the very thing you were getting all hot under the collar about?

Can't speak for the poster you are haranguing. But personally yes, I would have quite happily at any stage have told Parkinson to his face that I thought he was often guilty of poor tactical thinking and, in my opinion, was never up to the job and should not have been given it.

Bigstemarra claims that I am saying that we should not ever criticise the manager - where did I ever, ever say that? I didn't. What I said was that people should criticise without insulting and belittling someone with ridiculous claims.

To be fair to Bigstemerra, you came very close - and then made a very strange deferential analogy about how you wouldn't question the judgement of a doctor. Which I most certainly would, if I thought he was wrong.

How can someone who sits on their fat arse in the stands and has never played/coached in the professional game call Parkinson "tactically inept" - do they know how stupid that makes them sound?

Really not worthy of you. Are you saying only those who have played/coached in the pro game can have an opinion? Take a happy pill. Or pour yourself a drink. Anything to calm down a bit - and I say that as someone who respects you and remembers you (if you are who I think you are) when I was stewarding on Junior Reds trips more than 20 years ago.
  • Options
    Sorry, Nigel, but I think we shall continue having to be on opposing sides of this argument.

Don't really fancy a drink at 6.20AM either!

As for the Junior Reds days, I think we have discussed this before and that you had mistaken me for someone else.

My JR glory days were between 87-89 and the leaders were Jackie Monaghan, Eve Waterman and a gentleman called Graham who used to have a real bee in his bonnet about how crap Robert Lee was!
  • Options
    edited January 2011

My JR glory days were between 87-89 and the leaders were Jackie Monaghan, Eve Waterman and a gentleman called Graham who used to have a real bee in his bonnet about how crap Robert Lee was!

Indeed. That is the very period I used to help out on the JR away trips at Jackie Monahan's request when they were short on the adults-to-juniors ratio and I remember you well.
  • Options
    Posted By: Ormiston Addick: "The key thing is would you have the balls to say that to Parkinson's face?"

Yes, most definitely!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: incorruptible addick[/cite]

Indeed. That is the very period I used to help out on the JR away trips at Jackie Monahan's request when they were short on the adults-to-juniors ratio and I remember you well.

Really? I thought we had ruled that out earlier?

You're not "Graham" are you? He was in is early 40's then, dark hair going slightly grey? Went off his rocker at Coventry in 1988 when Robert Lee missed an open goal!!!!

If you remember me, then you will recall that I came as a pair with my twin brother, Steven. We were helpfully nicknamed "Igor" and "Lurch" by JR ringleader Jamie Abbott on account of us being 6ft tall and 14st by the time we were 15.

My favorite memories are of one of the elder "helpers", an older gentleman with brylcreemed hair who was one of the JR's grandfathers, being terrorised by the behaviour of the elder JR's on some of the coach trips home, especially the "bundles" on the back seat.

I also remember an infamous pitch invasion - inevitably led by Jamie (whose old man was a copper!) - at Nottingham Forest when the Junior Reds Under 13's side beat the Junior Forest side on a pitch next to the Trent!

They were great days.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Happy memories - and yes I remember Jamie Abbott. I'd forgotten the nicknames, though!.

I only ever helped out on the coach half a dozen times, as I said before, if you remember the discussion we had a year or two back. I always prefered to take my own car with my two sons, because we liked to do other things and make it a family day out (I remember taking them round HMS Victory before a game at Fratton Park, for example). But we came on the coach when Jackie requested, if she was short on whatever the legal ratio of adults to juniors was.

And no - I was definitely not ''Graham''. I remember his thing about Robert Lee , although Idon't think it was simply that he didn't rate him as a player. My memory is that he thought he shouldn't be played as a striker and was a natural winger. I remember a game at Plough Lane circa '86 on a Sunday lunchtime when Lee fell over when he only had Beasant to beat, right in front of us on that pokey little away terrace they had - and ''Graham'' went absolutely bloody berserk. (ps - I think your hero Dennis Wise may have been playing that day!).

Great times. I've gone all misty-eyed now...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: incorruptible addick[/cite]Happy memories - and yes I remember Jamie Abbott. I'd forgotten the nicknames, though!.

I only ever helped out on the coach half a dozen times, as I said before, if you remember the discussion we had a year or two back. I always prefered to take my own car with my two sons, because we liked to do other things and make it a family day out (I remember taking them round HMS Victory before a game at Fratton Park, for example). But we came on the coach when Jackie requested, if she was short on whatever the legal ratio of adults to juniors was.

And no - I was definitely not ''Graham''. I remember his thing about Robert Lee , although Idon't think it was simply that he didn't rate him as a player. My memory is that he thought he shouldn't be played as a striker and was a natural winger. I remember a game at Plough Lane circa '86 on a Sunday lunchtime when Lee fell over when he only had Beasant to beat, right in front of us on that pokey little away terrace they had - and ''Graham'' went absolutely bloody berserk. (ps - I think your hero Dennis Wise may have been playing that day!).

Great times. I've gone all misty-eyed now...

His rant at Coventry City in 1988 was legendary amongst the JR's, it was in the 0-0 draw we had there and, as I recall, the ball came across the six yard line to Lee who somehow put the ball back across the face of goal and hit the post!

On that old away terrace in the corner of Highfield Road we all thought Graham was about to spontaneously combust with rage.

Mind you, that 0-0 was not a bad result, the next time we went there we got smashed 3-0 and Gritty took over in goal after Bolder went off injured.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm at a loss really over the 'we've lost our good old Charlton' and 'the new owners have lied to us' type comments. The takeover was completed on a Friday and we had two very important games over the next three days. If they had come out and said that day 'We havn't told him yet but we are sacking Parky next Tuesday' then people on here would have been up in arms. And that is if you think they were going to sack him. Personally I don't think they were intending to necessarily. They had either seen us for themselves in the month since the initial offer, or received reports from someone, and maybe were in two minds over Phil's future. If so then those two games tipped them over the edge. I don't think they lied to us, or at least never intended to. And before we get all high and mighty over this then there have certainly been other occasions in the last couple of years when those in charge HAVE lied to us and whether that is in a press announcement or in front of 100 people at a meeting is irrespective. What would the reaction have been if Parky had been sacked at the end of one of the last two seasons ? Barely a wimper. Because it's new owners it's suddenly an outrage. RM and PV think these owners are the right people and Keith Peacock called it a 'momentous' day. After the last three or four years I'll settle for that.

With regard to Parky, is calling him 'clueless' or 'tactically inept' a personal insult ? Not in my book. It's just a criticism of his ability to do the job. If I called him 'an ugly northern twat' then that is a personal insult. Unfortunately or fortunately, whichever way you view it, criticism is a way of life for a football manager. To call people 'Parky haters' is, as AFKA rightly said, not fair. I've never met him, I don't hate him. But I'm damn glad he's gone.
  • Options
    May be right Large.

However, what happens if we say get Dennis Wise in who I am pretty certain will aleniate a fair section of our support and we then lose 3 on the spin and those fans get on his back.

We have seen that it only takes a game or two to change the minds of the current leaders.

My big concern is that despite what Richard Murray says, these people arent football people at all, let alone Charlton people.

Time will tell I suppose.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Large said 'To call people 'Parky haters' is, as AFKA rightly said, not fair. I've never met him, I don't hate him. But I'm damn glad he's gone.'

I suspect that is a widely shared view, and in all honesty, I am relieved that they have all gone, but far from happy. I think we all wish that we could have had a clean sweep post Pardew, but finances didn't allow that. My problem has always been with the lack of understanding that some have shown. He wasn't clueless, far from it, a lot went on behind the scenes that supporters didn't know about, but given that they didn't know, misconceptions were inevitable and any manager has to take that on the chin. Parky understood that very well, but I bet that a bit of him is burning to tell his side of the story. I just wish that some supporters had been more realistic about the financial mess we were in and got behind Parky and the team instead of constantly sniping. The abuse wore me down more than watching the football and I almost ache with the hope that I may yet hear the Valley singing out once more.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: stilladdicted[/cite]Large said 'To call people 'Parky haters' is, as AFKA rightly said, not fair. I've never met him, I don't hate him. But I'm damn glad he's gone.'

I suspect that is a widely shared view, and in all honesty, I am relieved that they have all gone, but far from happy. I think we all wish that we could have had a clean sweep post Pardew, but finances didn't allow that. My problem has always been with the lack of understanding that some have shown. He wasn't clueless, far from it, a lot went on behind the scenes that supporters didn't know about, but given that they didn't know, misconceptions were inevitable and any manager has to take that on the chin. Parky understood that very well, but I bet that a bit of him is burning to tell his side of the story. I just wish that some supporters had been more realistic about the financial mess we were in and got behind Parky and the team instead of constantly sniping. The abuse wore me down more than watching the football and I almost ache with the hope that I may yet hear the Valley singing out once more.

Great post, but sadly a lot of people have made their minds up about Parkinson and won't be swayed no matter what. That's just the way it is.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]sadly a lot of people have made their minds up about Parkinson and won't be swayed no matter what. That's just the way it is.

No , I don't think that is the way it is. The new owners made their minds up about Parkinson - and their opinion that he was not the man to realise their ambitions for the club is one that many - probably a majority - of fans had already arrived at. We don't need to be ''swayed'' about him. It no longer matters what any of us think about him. He's gone and Keith Peacock is now (temporarily) the man we have to get behind. And after that we will get behind whoever is given the job of getting us playing decent football again.

Parkinson has been generously given six months money for nowt and he's history. I do hope we're not going to have people spending the next five years pining for him to come back, like Curbs!

Move on - and hopefully up, too...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: incorruptible addick[/cite]Move on - and hopefully up, too..

amen to that
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]sadly a lot of people have made their minds up about Parkinson and won't be swayed no matter what. That's just the way it is.

No , I don't think that is the way it is. The new owners made their minds up about Parkinson - and their opinion that he was not the man to realise their ambitions for the club is one that many - probably a majority - of fans had already arrived at. We don't need to be ''swayed'' about him. It no longer matters what any of us think about him. He's gone and Keith Peacock is now (temporarily) the man we have to get behind. And after that we will get behind whoever is given the job of getting us playing decent football again.

Parkinson has been generously given six months money for nowt and he's history. I do hope we're not going to have people spending the next five years pining for him to come back, like Curbs!

Come on Nigel! You know we are never going to agree on this one!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: stilladdicted[/cite]The abuse wore me down more than watching the football and I almost ache with the hope that I may yet hear the Valley singing out once more.

What you say there really resonated with me, StillAddicted.
  • Options

Come on Nigel! You know we are never going to agree on this one!

No. But I did hope that we might be able to agree that the time has come to move on. And I also hoped you might have reassured me that we are not going to have five years of ''come back Parky'' !
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: stilladdicted[/cite]The abuse wore me down more than watching the football and I almost ache with the hope that I may yet hear the Valley singing out once more.

What you say there really resonated with me, StillAddicted.

Me too. But if Wise is appointed, we could be aching for a long, long time.