Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

NEW ARTICLE: Completely disillusioned

Comments

• Options
    don't know you chizz but i'd try some prozac if i were you - its only a bloody game - it's football which involves winning, losing, banter, laughs, beer, peaks, troughs and all that. christ, i feel far more optimistic now than i did before the takeover was announced and the sacking of parky has cheered me up even more. i'm buzzing with this takeover lark.
  • Options
    Clubcall - oh yes.With my mate Pete Burrowes doing the interviews.

''Well Lennie, is everyone looking forward to Saturday's game?''

And that was one of his more incisive questions!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Bournemouth Addick[/cite]You're obviously hurting Chizz and you should take Dave's excellent advice to heart.You might be despondent about things now but whatever happens youdocare and you will be riding the rollercoaster along with the rest of us for years to come of that I'm sure. It's just not that easy to stop caring about a such a huge part of our lives.

I'm one of the most pessimistic people I know but I have to say the last week has lifted my mood hugely and in hindsight I think that's as much an indication of just how depressed I was about where our club was going as it is about where we might go under new ownership. Yes, it might all go belly up. It's a possibility, agreed. But equally it might all work out as well in which case we'll all look back on the dark days of the last few years, like we do at other periods in our history, with a certain sense of pride that we were still there for our club when it needed our support most.

hurting about what?
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    [cite]Posted By: TEL[/cite]I did that at Selhurst when there were just 3-4,000 of us....we havent stooped quite that low yet SECAFC :-)

selhurst park - getting hammered and humiliated by millwall 3-0 with no ground of our own and a pitiful home attendance - thats pain - this is positive luxury and has been ever sincewe returned to the valley - the only time i will ever be sad is if they try to move us from the valley again anything else - bring it on i say - whats the worst that can happen - go into administration - so what, everyones at it - io'd sooner have a rollercoaster ride than the slow boring death that we've been experiencing.
  • Options
    If anyone needs the number for a good therapist, send me a whisper...Jeez.
  • Options
    sensitive souls on here
  • Options
    This isn't an "article" and someone should spell check the title!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]This isn't an "article" and someone should spell check the title!

Yes, I did wonder. Reads more like a whisper gone wrong than an article...

Hopefully Chizz will be back here in a day or two, answering his own question and reassuring us that the black mood has indeed passed.

Take care, Chizz.
  • Options
    I think I understand where Chizz is coming from. I can't help but feel that a bit of the club I love has died. Maybe I'm just naive but I've always thought of us as a bit different to other clubs - a club with morals - better than any other club. But I'm not sure that I feel that way anymore. Sadly I think the real world has caught up with us and we'll never be the same cosy family club again. Now if this means that we'll be able to compete with the rest and and maybe get close to the best then I suppose it will be worth it. But at the moment the jury is very much out. These are very uncertain times.
  • Options
    Feeling the complete opposite to Chizz at the moment, sure it could come crashing down on the new administration like a pack of cards & there will be people on here to say "told you so", but on the other hand they might just have a cunning plan......................
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]Feeling the complete opposite to Chizz at the moment, sure it could come crashing down on the new administration like a pack of cards & there will be people on here to say "told you so", but on the other hand they might just have a cunning plan......................

spot on

the old charlton died when we got back to the prem as champions from the chumpionship. we sold our soul to the devil and in return we got rewarded with i cant remember if it was 6 or 7 seasons in the big league, dining at the tables and beating them to their dinner at times against arguably the best teams in europe and you could say the world.

we sacked Dowie,Reed in 1 season like it was nothing and no reasons given that was by a man i trust and respect. We got pardew we gave him time for his 2year plan it didnt work we sacked him, we gave parkinson a chance 2years later and a league lower he gets sacked

whats the big deal i dont get it at all
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]Feeling the complete opposite to Chizz at the moment, sure it could come crashing down on the new administration like a pack of cards & there will be people on here to say "told you so", but on the other hand they might just have a cunning plan......................

spot on

the old charlton died when we got back to the prem as champions from the chumpionship. we sold our soul to the devil and in return we got rewarded with i cant remember if it was 6 or 7 seasons in the big league, dining at the tables and beating them to their dinner at times against arguably the best teams in europe and you could say the world.

we sacked Dowie,Reed in 1 season like it was nothing and no reasons given that was by a man i trust and respect. We got pardew we gave him time for his 2year plan it didnt work we sacked him, we gave parkinson a chance 2years later and a league lower he gets sacked

whats the big deal i dont get it at all

Simples !
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By:Salad[/cite]This isn't an "article" and someone should spell check the title!
    [cite]Posted By:incorruptible addick[/cite]Yes, I did wonder. Reads more like a whisper gone wrong than an article...

Hopefully Chizz will be back here in a day or two, answering his own question and reassuring us that the black mood has indeed passed.

Take care, Chizz.

Chizz didn't submit it as an article. Nor did RodneyCharltonTrotta. Why ? Because they both took the time to eloquently put forward posts that offering differing viewpoints that help provide balance in summing up what different people are feeling.

Do we really have to get to the stage where we have to analyse and be critical of other people's posts ?

IA, i enjoy your inputs, but from an outsider view they are increasingly becoming laced with sarcasm and picking the pieces out of other people's views. You put forward your own views eloquently enough, you don't need to do the other things, and reading it detracts from whatever it is you put forward.

Please lets all just have a bit more respect for other people's contributions, whether you agree / disagree with them. Its not a competition.
  • Options
    Martomoto I dont understand how you think we are a less "moral" club in the last week?

How is this week's dismissal any less moral than than Les "real proper Charlton man" Reed's.

Varney and Murray will have had involvement or at least awareness in both. If we hadnt got humilated again on Monday then perhaps it would have been different but maybe a decision was taken that rather than giving Parkinson any more of Charlton's money it would be better allocated to someone else in the transfer window.
  • Options
    Chizz, nicely put.

I can relate a lot to what you are feeling. I've growingly felt we've been losing our unique identity amid the downturn, and i've a concern our integrity is starting to diminish as well. Some people will be pleased with that as they despise the 'nice' Charlton approach, others not so much so. I'm in the latter group.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Bexley Dan[/cite]Selhurst park - getting hammered and humiliated by millwall 3-0 with no ground of our own and a pitiful home attendance - thats pain - this is positive luxury and has been ever sincewe returned to the valley - the only time i will ever be sad is if they try to move us from the valley again anything else - bring it on i say - whats the worst that can happen - go into administration - so what, everyones at it - io'd sooner have a rollercoaster ride than the slow boring death that we've been experiencing.

Yep, but that Millwall game was a blip, as proved by their brief dalliance in the old Div'1. We had Top Flight football, hardworking players, an excellent manager, John Humphrey, Robert Lee, Colin Walsh, Paul Williams Peter Shirtliff, AND a trip to Wembley! :-)

Truly awful being away from The Valley, but at least the players gave their best, whatever the ground we were playing at & conjured up some magical memories over that particular time period. Victories over Man Utd, Chelsea, Everton, Spurs, & Play-Off joy. For all the crap tied to having no ground, the club refused to die, the team & manager were fighters, & there was a great spirit within the die-hard ranks who braved the trip to Selhurchwitz every other week. Never want to leave The Valley again though, that's for sure!
  • Options
    people that get sacked in football effectively hit the jackpot - this isn't the real world - it's football. the honourable thing for a chairman is to sack a manager rather than force him to resign - sounds crazy but is true so whilst i respect everybody elses right to have a whinge, a cry and all the rest of it - i think its a bit misplaced.
  • Options
    i liked the nice old charlton approach i really bought into it but in a world of football so corupt and nasty we will be in league 1 and 2 by staying with it and i cant watch this dross anymore i really cant
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    [cite]Posted By: Stefco[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Bexley Dan[/cite]Selhurst park - getting hammered and humiliated by millwall 3-0 with no ground of our own and a pitiful home attendance - thats pain - this is positive luxury and has been ever sincewe returned to the valley - the only time i will ever be sad is if they try to move us from the valley again anything else - bring it on i say - whats the worst that can happen - go into administration - so what, everyones at it - io'd sooner have a rollercoaster ride than the slow boring death that we've been experiencing.

Yep, but that Millwall game was a blip, as proved by their brief dalliance in the old Div'1. We had Top Flight football, hardworking players, an excellent manager, John Humphrey, Robert Lee, Colin Walsh, Paul Williams Peter Shirtliff, AND a trip to Wembley! :-)

Truly awful being away from The Valley, but at least the players gave their best, whatever the ground we were playing at & conjured up some magical memories over that particular time period. Victories over Man Utd, Chelsea, Everton, Spurs, & Play-Off joy. For all the crap tied to having no ground, the club refused to die, the team & manager were fighters, & there was a great spirit within the die-hard ranks who braved the trip to Selhurchwitz every other week. Never want to leave The Valley again though, that's for sure!

exactly - and that is why we should now be happy - we've stopped treading water and now we can start striving for something again.
  • Options
    In retrospect I'd say a big part of our clun disappeared with Dowie's appointment and the signing of players who just weren't good enough at other clubs. The signing was just a hissy fit from the Chairman and the players, well, you know.

I guess I am the only person bothered that we don't know who owns our club. We might not have liked Fryer but at least we knew who he was. So, yeah, I'm worried. Oh, and we've all been lied to by the bloke in charge, which is nice. My guess, for which I have no evidence at all, is that everyone knew the writing on the wall before Monday evening and the players couldn't be bothered playing for a boss they knew was on his toes.

An owner we don't know, managed by Dennis Wise. Living the dream.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think it boils down to one simple question, did we go forwards or backwards under Parky? Perhaps Chizz you thought we were making progress? When I witnessed those performances against Colchester and Swindon it really confirmed what I had been told but didn't want to believe. The quality of football has gone a long way backwards, the crowd has gone backwards, even good promising players like Wagstaff, Reid and Racon have gone backwards. How on earth we managed to get so high in the table is a complete mystery to me, we looked more like a relegation team. On that basis I don't know how anyone could expect Parky to continue. I think perhaps some of our fans have become immune to failure, perhaps they'd still be happy if we were playing in front of 5000 fans because that's where we were heading.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    AFKA, did you read my post? You quoted it, so I assume you did!

It said ''Hopefully Chizz will be back here in a day or two, answering his own question and reassuring us that the black mood has passed.''

Chizz told us he's so sick of the club he doesn't care what happens at the moment and then asked us if this mood will pass.

Hence my reply, hoping for his sake that it will.

Is that ''picking the pieces out of other people's views'' or showing a lack of ''respect for other people's contributions''?

Think you seriously misread that one, friend.
  • Options
    Now I know I sometimes post a little light heartedly but seriously I think things all started to go wrong when Brian Cole got sacked.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Chizz, nicely put.

I can relate a lot to what you are feeling. I've growingly felt we've been losing our unique identity amid the downturn, and i've a concern our integrity is starting to diminish as well. Some people will be pleased with that as they despise the 'nice' Charlton approach, others not so much so. I'm in the latter group.

If by integrity AFKA you mean the sudden dismissal or Parky despite assurances otherwise, it's sadly nothing new at Charlton.

I cannot really bring myself to feel too sorry for football managers, if they want a more secure job after quitting the playing side, they could run a pub or drive a taxi. It's undeniably great that people like Parky choose to put something back into the game & I admire them hugely for stepping into the firing line - but it is exactly that, a firing line & sooner or later they are going to get shot. The really talented ones will prosper or find their niche, most will persih under the burden of fans expectations or boardroom machinations - always have, always will.

We could argue til the moon turns blue about whether it was the right decision based on Parky's achievements - personally I feel he got a pretty fair crack of the whip - how many other clubs would stick by their manager after relegation, a failed promotion bid & the shakiness of this season's results. I mean look at Burnley, Laws took them down under somewhat similar circumstances to Parky, he barely lasted half a season after relegation & he was a rarity in that he survived the drop.

In the current circumstances with the new owners, I dont think we can judge them by what they just did, but we sure will be able to by what they are about to do.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: tangoflash[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Dave Rudd[/cite]Not only will it pass, but you'll look back on it as a watershed in your Charlton education.

Learn this:

Nothing that this Club does will ever be easy. Nor will it generally make sense. Nor will it bear any real resemblance to your hopes and dreams.

But, as the true fan, you will feed off this misery. You will resolve to stay with it so that you and the Club can come through the other side into the glorious, sunlit future where Charlton win the Champions League and offer fans free half-time beer and a freshly-ironed programme.

Yoy say that you don't care about Sunday. Trust me - you will. Your stomach will knot just the same as always. You will search out updates and tweets. Your heart will soar when we take the lead ... then plummet as we concede 7 (yes, seven) hotly-disputed and grossly-unfair goals.

But above all else, you will rejoice in being part of a community that is proud of SE7 and all that our Club's history and fine standing offers.

You are Charlton, Chizz. Not the Board. Not the owners. Not the players.

You.

Bloody hell. If parky gave team talks like this, not only would he still be in a job but we'd have the title sewn up by now. :-)

Most kind - thank you.

Apparently I'm now down to 200/1 with Sky Bet.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Chizz, nicely put.

[cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]i liked the nice old charlton approach i really bought into it but in a world of football so corupt and nasty we will be in league 1 and 2 by staying with it and i cant watch this dross anymore i really cant

I know b***** all, but maybe it was our niceness that whoever stands behind J & S bought into?
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]Now I know I sometimes post a little light heartedly but seriously I think things all started to go wrong when Brian Cole got sacked.

I know what you mean. We're stuck with BDL now.
  • Options
    You may be 100% right but I reckon it was a very small part of their reasoning
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BrentfordAddick[/cite]I guess I am the only person bothered that we don't know who owns our club. We might not have liked Fryer but at least we knew who he was. So, yeah, I'm worried. Oh, and we've all been lied to by the bloke in charge, which is nice. My guess, for which I have no evidence at all, is that everyone knew the writing on the wall before Monday evening and the players couldn't be bothered playing for a boss they knew was on his toes.

An owner we don't know, managed by Dennis Wise. Living the dream.
    You're not the only one bothered that we don't know who owns our club. Come on people, have you all forgotten what happened with Notts County's mystery backers? Slater is a totally unknown quantity and Jiminez hardly has a proven track record. I'm not saying we should man the barricades right now, but a degree of wariness is natural, and I'd argue sensible.

Regardless of whether you think sacking Parky was the right idea, the rapid u-turn from "It's certainly not our intention to make any change...Phil's done a great job. We're third in the league and that speaks for itself, so we're going to have a sit down with Phil over the next few days and we'll give him every support" on Friday to "Clearly, improvement is needed on the field. The team has not won in the league since November and recent performances have simply not been good enough" on Tuesday does rather mean that any future pronouncements from Slater are going to be taken with a pinch of salt. If Wise gets involved with the club, then he's going to have a major credibility problem.
  • Options
    Aliwibble, I can't see Slater had any option in what he said on day one - and we don't actually know what then changed. The performance on Monday night suggested the players were not prepared to go out there and lay down their lives for their manager, and that may have forced Slater's hand as much as the actual result.

In many ways, Slater's behaviour fits a recent pattern at Charlton. Don't forget when Parky was appointed caretaker, we had a chairman who said he'd be judged on results. Eight winless games later, he got the job. Then there was Varney's support of Les Reed just before he was sacked. So the old Charlton board didn't exactly have a good track record of their actions being consistent with their pronouncements.
  • Options
    IA, Chappell's "Parky will be judged on results" was an off the cuff remark at a private fan meeting, so shouldn't be judged under the same scrutiny as a public statement to the media. Varney's public support for Les was unfortunate, although if I recall Airman's comments correctly, internally he was always considered a caretaker, so the situation was a bit different. But the point is, that's two instances in the many many public comments in 15 year's tenure - hardly a bad track record, and certainly not comparable with such a massive u-turn in less than a week. If Wise turns up before the end of the transfer window, it'll be two in the space of a month.