Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The week that was. 29th January 2000 Coventry 2 Charlton 3

Comments

• This was a cracking day, didnt the club do face painting at service stations on the way up or something, remember the Cov fan in our end tatood and bald, also remember Premier League, your having a laugh throughout half time, it was more of an away side than end though wasn't it?

was the QPR game the round before the one where we all met in the pub near Charing Cross beforehand, a few likely lads (little Mark from Dartford was one) helped them selves to a framed display of 19th Century fireworks off the wall? North Stand Steve you were there with me!
  • Superb, superb day. I was 14 at the time, had not been to an away game without my old man before, my older brother was going up but my dad couldnt go, I whined and moaned for ages and persuaded parents to let me go up too so got ticket at the last min.

Was sat on my own away from my brother right by the Cov fans who were segregated only by a small barrier. One of our fans, oldish fella was arguing throughout the first 15 minutes with a couple of mid-twenties Cov fans, when they scored it kicked off across the barriers, and one of our fans, tallish skinhead fella I still see him at games today (may well be on here) surged along the row from about 10 seats along and just opened his arms out to create what seemed like a fairly menacing shield between the cov fans and stewards who had piled in by that point and our old fella. Added a bit extra motivation / atmos to the game.

Superb atmos, in the thick of our winning run and had so much self-belief, those two goals at the end of the 1st half were incredible, then that late late winner the place went berserk.

As said above, one of if not my favourite ever away (missed the 4-3 villa and 4-2 at highbury), the magic of the cup element added to it.

Was absolutely gutted on way back from Valley beamback of the Bolton QF when we peppered their goal but couldnt score and missed out on a Wembley semi which I had set my heart on.
  • 12 years ago?! Jesus where has that time gone? Remember it well even though I was only 12 at the time, saw quite a bit of trouble after the game and was terrified but also floating all the way home after the result. Getting The Pink paper (I think that's what it was called?) at the station with a lovely pic of Andy Hunt on the front and reading it about 20 times on the way home.

Still one of my favourite ever away days.
  • Have a feeling I might have been with Clem for this game. Absolutely brilliant away day, does memory blur or did we sing 'can we play you every week' throughout half time? Absolutely destroyed for 20 minutes, then came back before half time and won resoundingly.
  • Remember we were the better team in the 2nd half and they were gutted when Hunt got the winner.
  • 15 years and counting.
  • One of my top 10 games ever!
  • Andy Todd had a great game when he came on. A deceptively good midfielder , for one with no pace
  • cafckev said:

One of my top 10 games ever!

Definitely. Will never forgot this day out. I was only 14 at the time and stood on my own as we couldn't all get tickets together.

This was that odd season when they moved the 3rd round forward to early December with 4th round at beginning of Jan. Weird.
  • wmcf123 said:

Andy Todd had a great game when he came on. A deceptively good midfielder , for one with no pace

I know he filled in a bit as a defensive midfielder but he was mainly a centre half for us wasn't he?
  • Sponsored links:

• your supposed to be at home.

brilliant...deffo remember sitting along one side and that being the side Newton decided to become unplayable (if memory serves me right it was the last 25 mins of the first half and they couldnt stop Shaun), he absolutely ruined them that day.
  • Stopped liostening to the wireless at 2-0, a bit like leaving the ground early!!
  • edited January 2015
    It strikes me that we don't realise how special some games and, especially, some teams (group of players) are until years later.

This squad, all be it not the most technically gifted, was probably the best I have had the pleasure of watching. What we'd give, now, for a Dean Kiely, a Steve Brown, a Chris Powell, a John Robinson, a Paul Konchesky, a Shaun Newton, an Andy Todd, a Graham Stuart an Andy Hunt and especially a Mark Kinsella or a Richard Rufus?

It's no surprise that we walked the First Division that season. I suspect that none of our current team would have got more than half a dozen games that season. There were also great players in the squad that weren't involved that day.
  • Al, wernt this the subway game where we got split up and they came at us with for sale signs on the duel carriage way, me you fat rob etc

We met the sims twins at the station in London on the way who told us that coventry were waiting for us??
  • cafckev said:

One of my top 10 games ever!

Definitely. Will never forgot this day out. I was only 14 at the time and stood on my own as we couldn't all get tickets together.

This was that odd season when they moved the 3rd round forward to early December with 4th round at beginning of Jan. Weird.
    And no Man Utd.

Didn't we take 4k to this one?

• was a long walk back to the station that day...
  • wmcf123 said:

Andy Todd had a great game when he came on. A deceptively good midfielder , for one with no pace

I know he filled in a bit as a defensive midfielder but he was mainly a centre half for us wasn't he?
    In his first season, he was mainly used as a holding midfielder. I think Kinsella was injured and Toddy filled in, coinciding with us winning 12 or so games in a row. The year after, he played really well alongside Rufus at centre back
  • I loved that game, I was only 13 and was fearing the worst after 2 down, can still remember it all so well. When the final whistle went, all I could think about was getting home quickly because we might be a main game on match of the day.

Sadly I temember an old fella being carried through the crowd on a stretcher with breathing equipment.
  • As usual the Programme can be seen here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/addicks7-6/7406453690

Want to see more Charlton Programmes, then visit

http://www.flickr.com/photos/addicks7-6/sets/
  • Al, wernt this the subway game where we got split up and they came at us with for sale signs on the duel carriage way, me you fat rob etc

We met the sims twins at the station in London on the way who told us that coventry were waiting for us??

They came out a pub on the way back, alongside the dual carriageway. We fought them off.

Ok we didn't, we legged it back to the station :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Brilliant day out. These are the days that get you through the ordure we are getting now. That team was so committed to the cause.
  • One of my all-time top Charlton games. Great day with a proper team who gave their all for the shirt, cup game or not.
  • and I was there with my coventry supporting mate who was as sick as a parrot afterwards;-))
  • Anyone got highlights of the game?
  • Anyone got highlights of the game?

Try Paulie.
  • Can't believe this was 15 years ago.

Was early 20s then and feel lucky that my era for properly following the Club H+A religiously was SUCH a good era.
  • Mate quality days quality people
  • edited January 2015
    Wasn't there a punch up in the away end that day? I seem to remember a couple of Coventry fans celebrating when they scored and it didn't go down too well...
  • A few charlton fought amongst themselves at 2nil
  • A few charlton fought amongst themselves at 2nil

Must have been some Mill came up for the day out.....