Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pub Help Required

Comments

• Options
    The Bulls ok mate, just dont tell the landlord I said so. ; )
    We recently told the Guvnor he had been awarded the runners up place in the in the "Pub of the year" as voted for by the punters, and he was only beaten by 10 votes by .......................The Welcome Inn : )
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Alex Wright[/cite]The Black Boy in Avery Hill used to be OK, but I haven't been there in many years

that is a serious no
    As I said, haven't been there in yonks.
  • Options
    Imperial arms = wall. Black boy, (sorry henry) take your donor card with you sir.
  • Options
    The Ramblers Rest was excellent. A perfect fit.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]The Ramblers Rest was excellent. A perfect fit.

Good. Glad you enjoyed it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: sam3110[/cite]Jolly Farmers in Lewisham used to do Gravity pulled Real Ales, not sure if it still does though........

The Jolly Farmers used to be a fantastic little boozer - had many a good night in there. No idea what it's like now though.

Chirpy, sounds to me like you've already done the best ones in the area you're looking at. I would give the Charcoal Burner a miss - it reminds me of a 70's social club - but The Alma is well worth a trip.
  • Options
    If it is good ale you want then try The White Cross North Cray Road good crowd no music,or tvs but it does food,sorry.The Charcoal Burner i would give amiss to must have the dearest beer in town and its like sitting in your front - room.The Alma only has two real ale pumps but is a good pub,John the owner is a Millwall fan but is okay.Hope you find a pub.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Yer Black Horse (on Albert Road, Bexley Village) just round the corner from my house is a great pub. However if it's real ale you're after then going a bit further afield to the Bull in Horton Kirby is a must. Best real ale pub in Kent!

The Bull does do food but doesn't shove plastic menu's in your face, and if you want a good meal you can pick up a freshly made curry or fish and chips for next to nothing (I'm talking like £2, £3) and it's really great nosh.
  • Options
    the jolly farmers in lewisham is still a great pub,never packed and serves ale and german lagers,gem of a pub
  • Options
    had a few beers last night in the Robin Hood and Little John in Lion Road, Bexleyheath, cracking little pub - never been before.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2010
    I'll second Curb_It's suggestion of the Dog and Bell in Deptford - very quiet and they love their real ale in there. I reckon you'll enjoy the British Oak too.

The Ashburnham Arms in west Greenwich is worth a look, too, as is the Red Lion in Bromley.
  • Options
    Last time I went to the Ashburnham I was unimpressed - it had been given a "trendy" makeover and the beer was disgusting - tasted like cleaning fluid (and probably was!)
  • Options
    The Blythe Hill Tavern, on the south circular between Catford and Brockley Rise. They also won the CAMRA pub of the year last year.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I was impressed with the Red Lion, Bromley, reviews until I saw it was Green King. I hate the stuff.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]I was impressed with the Red Lion, Bromley, reviews until I saw it was Green King. I hate the stuff.

There's always a good choice of guest beers on in there, though, so you can avoid that stuff.

[cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Last time I went to the Ashburnham I was unimpressed - it had been given a "trendy" makeover and the beer was disgusting - tasted like cleaning fluid (and probably was!)

Ick. That's unfortunate. I like the Ashburnham, but I'm no fan of Shepherd Neame since they shut a neighbouring pub, the Royal George, to sell for redevelopment.
  • Options
    Pelton Arms in Greenwich.
  • Options
    I didnt suggest the Pelton as they have a lot of live music on and think that was one of the no nos.. plus food.

Be gone you evil food!
  • Options
    Apart from the food and the live music (not sure about the real ale) it would be perfect! ;o)
  • Options
    Does anyone else find the smell of chips and vineger the most off putting thing when walking into a pub?
    If you want to eat, go to a cafe!
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Valley_floyd_red[/cite]The Blythe Hill Tavern, on the south circular between Catford and Brockley Rise. They also won the CAMRA pub of the year last year.[/quote]

That's my Mum & Dad's local...jeez I never knew it sold real ale!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    probably little more than 5 miles but Chequers in farnigham is good -
  • Options
    I have drunk in the Red Lion on Shooters Hill for 15 years and no way is it clicky a bit pricey yes, clicky no and terry dont do a bad pint of beer either.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    [cite]Posted By: fatrob[/cite]I have drunk in the Red Lion on Shooters Hill for 15 years and no way is it clicky a bit pricey yes, clicky no and terry dont do a bad pint of beer either.

Good to hear Terry's still there. I'll definately check it out soon. Do they still do Courage Directors bitter?
  • Options
    Just been to the Robin Hood, for a pint,

Gem of a pub, excellent pint, freindly staff, someone ordered a club sandwich which looked awsome!.

At this rate I am going to have to revise my opinion about Bexleyheath!......
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ken from bexley[/cite]Just been to the Robin Hood, for a pint,

Gem of a pub, excellent pint, freindly staff, someone ordered a club sandwich which looked awsome!.

I didn't even know it was there until I drove past it last week, decided to try it out sat night for a few...the framed CAFC shirt on the wall also helped my opinion of it !
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Elthamaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ken from bexley[/cite]Just been to the Robin Hood, for a pint,

I didn't even know it was there until I drove past it last week, decided to try it out sat night for a few...the framed CAFC shirt on the wall also helped my opinion of it !

All our work vans have trackers fitted to them, one of lads goes in there sometimes. In fact it comes up as his third most popular location.
  • Options
    I grew up round the corner from there. My cat Tim used to follow my parents up there and sit on the wall opposite and wait for them to come out... some hours later. Nice little pub and now even more popular. Keeps old sunday hours and shuts at 4 in the day - i know on the weekends anyway. Im sure thats been mentioend on here several times before. I dont think its for under 30s to be honest.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    It's that time again....

Thinking abut Cutty Sark tonight. Used to be good. Anyone been in there recently?
  • Options
    Only go on a hot day to sit outside.

and then you can also try the Pelton out around the corner if you dont like it.
  • Options
    I used to go in The Pelton 20 odd years ago when I worked in Trafalgar Road. Just read reviews on it, seems very good. Do you rate it Curb_it?