Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Any Songs You Wish We Wouldn't Sing?

edited August 2010 in General Charlton
I was just wondering if there were any chants that we sing on a regular basis that people don't like as I was thinking that I'm really not a fan of:

The Incest Song
Goodbye Horse
Oh South London

Comments

• Yeah get rid of Valley Floyd Road & Red Army as well, then we can all sit in silence instead.
  • Incest Song has had its day, I laughed the first time!
  • the Incest Song. It's pathetic and purile.
  • I think the drummer has had his day
  • edited August 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]Yeah get rid of Valley Floyd Road & Red Army as well, then we can all sit in silence instead.
    [cite]Posted By: bibble[/cite]Incest Song has had its day, I laughed the first time!
    What Ketters Said

As for the incest song Norwich Fan i work with could not see why our lot make so much fuss about it, said it was all good harmless banter and we should chill out a bit
  • I think the West Stand has had its day
  • I blame the fans.
  • edited August 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]Yeah get rid of Valley Floyd Road & Red Army as well, then we can all sit in silence instead.

Haha I'm not quite asking for that but I just wish our supporters could be more imaginative and come up with some better stuff, not saying I have anything better but I don't like these songs because:

The Incest Song - Overkill doesn't even begin to describe what our supporters have done to this song, admittedly I used to love it and think it was funny when we did it occassionally, but doing it EVERY single week to EVERY single team is just ridiculous and its gotten to the point where I now just look in resentment of anyone I see singing it.

Goodbye Horse - I really don't care about a policeman falling off his horse a 100 years ago(and yes I know its not a literal 100 years but it might as well be) I think theres much more meaningful things we could chant about that the team have achieved on the pitch like the 98 playoff final or winning division 1 or hell even the FA Cup final than some copper taking a tumble.

Oh South London - Not only would I feel uncomfortable singing the song as I sit next to and go with my dad every week but if you break the song down: 1. South London isn't wonderful, its a shithole 2. The 'tits and fanny' of South London isnt that great 3. I'm sure that the majority of the people that sing this song arnt getting any of the said 'tits and fanny'.
  • The Incest song might be amusing if sung to say, East Anglians who have a rep forthat sort of thing, but looses its effect when sung to anyone.
  • i think the drummer is a must for an all seater stadium. Don't like the 'stand up if you love....' it's a bit - tried to find a more PC word for it, but quite frankly it's a bit 'gay'.
  • Sponsored links:

• What's wrong with the Goodbye Horse song?
  • Incest song would be banter if we only used it now and again. I think what annoys me most about it is that it gets more people to join in than any other song bar Valley Floyd Road.

In answer to the question, I don't have any big problem with the songs that we sing, but would prefer if we gave them all fairly equal attention, instead of the endless CAFC
  • [cite]Posted By: harveys gardener[/cite]The Incest song might be amusing if sung to say, East Anglians who have a rep forthat sort of thing, but looses its effect when sung to anyone.

I thinks it works on an ironic level when sung to fans from other London clubs, if that is how it is meant.
  • Incest song Is embarrassing and the irony is lost on some of the people who sing it.
  • edited August 2010
    I may be in a minority of 1, but I can't stand Mull of Kintyre and therefore don't like Valley Floyd Road! Over the years I suppose I have softened to it, but I do so wish another tune had been picked.

MoK is up there with the Frog Song as two of the worst songs written by Macca IMHO. Is IMHO banned on this site BTW? Oh, come to that, is BTW?

I don't like the incest song either...
  • [cite]Posted By: forzajuve_27[/cite]Not only would I feel uncomfortable singing the song as I sit next to and go with my dad every week

WTF part 1
    [cite]Posted By: forzajuve_27[/cite]South London isn't wonderful, its a shithole

WTF part 2
  • oh dear

So the vibe im getting is you lot dont like much

ha ha i do find it amusing
  • [cite]Posted By: forzajuve_27[/cite]
    Oh South London - Not only would I feel uncomfortable singing the song as I sit next to and go with my dad every week but if you break the song down: 1. South London isn't wonderful, its a shithole 2. The 'tits and fanny' of South London isnt that great 3. I'm sure that the majority of the people that sing this song arnt getting any of the said 'tits and fanny'.

How about a song about Bermondsey/Croyden instead 'It smells of Shit' and 'it's full of Guns, muggers and knife crime'?

Don't mind the oh South London one tbh, but the Incest song has had it's day imho.

The repertoire needs a general overhaul - we need some songs about some of our players and a few choruses of 'Phil Parkinson's red and White Army' wouldn't go amis either imo.
  • I agree Exiled - it would be good to get some new songs started for our new "stars".
  • Sponsored links:

• I would just stay at home mate.
  • edited August 2010
    [cite]Posted By: se9addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: forzajuve_27[/cite]Not only would I feel uncomfortable singing the song as I sit next to and go with my dad every week

WTF part 1
    [cite]Posted By: forzajuve_27[/cite]South London isn't wonderful, its a shithole

WTF part 2

1. Don't particularly like chanting about tits and fanny infront of my dad

2. I'll give you some parts of Greenwich and of course The Valley as being nice places, other than that it is a pure shithole

[cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]
    How about a song about Bermondsey/Croyden instead 'It smells of Shit' and 'it's full of Guns, muggers and knife crime'?

Lmao that would have been perfect for when we played millwall last season
  • The incest song week in week out just shows how lacking in creativity we are. We sing to every club, every week.

If you can't work out when its relevant and when its not then best not to sign it at all.

I'm not a massive fans of Oh South Love. A) Because lets face it South London as a location isn't actually wonderful (just look at how many fans actually live in Charlton). And B there are not a load of dismembered Tits and fannies walking around the place.
  • do me a favour people

dont think i can come back to this thread as some of you are amazing
  • Anoraks of the world unite on this thread
  • edited August 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Bexley Dan[/cite]i think the drummer is a must for an all seater stadium. Don't like the 'stand up if you love....' it's a bit - tried to find a more PC word for it, but quite frankly it's a bit 'gay'.
    I just think that he kills other people off from singing that dont want to red army, cafc etc. Maybe im worng
  • [cite]Posted By: C.Walsh'sLoveChild[/cite]Gordon bennet

Shouldn't this be in the rumours thread?
  • edited August 2010
    [cite]Posted By: CAFCBourne[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Bexley Dan[/cite]i think the drummer is a must for an all seater stadium. Don't like the 'stand up if you love....' it's a bit - tried to find a more PC word for it, but quite frankly it's a bit 'gay'.

I just think that he kills other people off from singing that dont want to red army, cafc etc. Maybe im worng

You may be right and maybe it needs time for people to get used to not waiting for the drum but in the short term it kills the atmosphere when it's not there as the drum unites the singing - otherwise you get a load of different songs going on at once. Don't see the drum as the problem - just need a bit more imagination amongst those who start off the singing in that area. Not a dig as the effort is good.
  • The incest song is offensive and not even funny.

Oh South London is ok until it gets to the part about women. I have heard extra verses at Millwall that make this very offensive.Maybe we could create a new verse for it.

I'm also glad Christian Dailly has got his song back ( you could say it is a cover version of the old Wham version ).
  • As has been said by many already, the incest song is only inappropriate for singing at the likes of Ipswich, Norwich etc. To sing it every week at anyone and everyone is tedious and shows a complete lack of imagination and, for that matter, a very poor understanding of regional stereotypes.

If you must spend the entire game taking the p!ss out of the oppo, which I don't have any particular problem with, at least show a little creativity.

Is your tractor parked outside?
    Is that all you take away?
    In your Liverpool/Birmingham slums

Atmosphere at The Valley is woeful these days, and has been ever since they rebuilt the Covered End. Back in the good old days we used to have a different song or chant for pretty much every player. Things have got so poor now that I believe the Bailey song about letting him have a ride on your wife has now been transferred to another player.