Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton's No. 10

13»

Comments

• Options
    didnt the OS say that parky said it would be a familliar face!!!! i mite be wrong
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Richard J[/cite]I've just listened to the interview on iplayer and the trilalist who is possibly on the bench on Saturday is not necesarily the Dutchman, he talks about oneon the bench and then says we're still looking and have just got someone over from Holland.

And as quoted on the OS:

"But the Addicks boss told the media a Dutch striker had arrived for a trial and hinted the teamsheet might have an unfamiliar name on Saturday.

"We've got plenty of others [triallists],” laughed Phil. "We might have a few surprises up our sleeves and one could be on the bench on Saturday. We could sign a player on a non-contract basis.

"We've brought a striker in today from Holland to have a look at him, and we will continue to do those sorts of things. We can't afford not to, because we haven't got a great deal of money.”
    [cite]Posted By: Stebo[/cite]according to his wiki entry, Orlando Smeekes is on trial with us -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orlando_Smeekes

he has just finished a trial at coventry where he did alright, but obviously coventry aren't short on strikers so they didn't offer him a contract.

Somebody seems to know something if they've already put it on Wiki ..... ?
    And Wiki's never wrong, is it?

PS: How's the Paul McCartney takeover bid progressing - any news?

;o)
  • Options
    Orlando Smeekes

Now i dont read dutch...but should we really be signing anyone associated with the phrase 'StinkFinger'
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    it's a story about him getting fined after sticking his finger up at the fans
  • Options
    Someone in work has jokingly said "Dennis Bergkamp"
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]Wasn't that a bad translation and he was actually talking about Bobby Charlton?

No, his Uncle supported Charlton and took him to a few games when he was a kid.
  • Options
    JFH must win the award for the least useful but most talked about player we've ever had!
  • Options
    Don't think there is any surprise afoot, they looked at Le Fondre who was too dear, they have tried for Benson Three times & failed three times, they have a couple of other possibilities but I would not expect it to be anything earth shattering.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stebo[/cite]it's a story about him getting fined after sticking his finger up at the fans

How's he gonna react when he gets booed warming up then! Kung-fu kick into the North Lower I think!
  • Options
    Is it Johnny Rep?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Heard another Lee Martin rumour, but that's all it is.
  • Options
    CommentAuthorSaga Lout CommentTime7 minutes ago quote# 68
    JFH must win the award for the least useful but most talked about player we've ever had!

Dave Mooney?
  • Options
    Lee Martin would be good signing, wont be our No.10 though.
  • Options
    You sure it wasnt Martin Lee?
  • Options
    We do get carried away sometimes, lol

All Parky said was that we've still got a number of triallists around .... and there could be a surprise inclusion on the bench on Saturday, as they might sign one of them on a non-contract basis to make him eligible to play.

Parky did the same with Wade Small last year.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Brunello[/cite]You sure it wasnt Martin Lee?
    Could've been Jason Lee to be honest!
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Heard another Lee Martin rumour, but that's all it is.

Not sure if we can afford to pay his wages which are probably about 4 times the going rate of what we are paying.
  • Options
    Here's a clip of Smeekes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUxpoxg0EEo

Scored regularly in the German 3rd div last year.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stebo[/cite]according to his wiki entry, Orlando Smeekes is on trial with us -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orlando_Smeekes

he has just finished a trial at coventry where he did alright, but obviously coventry aren't short on strikers so they didn't offer him a contract.

he stats are appalling which means he will probably sign.
    [cite]Posted By: sam3110[/cite]That's what I think, It will be a Dutch trialist, someone young and unproven, and an older face looking for a fresh challenge, like James going to Brizzle, or Raul to Schalke........

With regards to the strikers, we will have Sodje starting and Abbott and Tuna on the bench, and play 451. We can accomodate the first week or so without more, but he'll be looking into getting them by tuesday. I believe the trialist dude will play in the CC, as well as Abbott getting a start, just to start gelling the squad and building chemistry

why Abbott on the bench. Play Abbott even in a 4-5-1, he knows where the net is as opposed to Akpo who apperas to not know even which way we are kicking.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm on a roll with Orlando .......here's another Youtube vid - there's a few stills, mixed in with action footage....... of his days as a Kyle Reid type winger.

Linky:Orlando Smeekes as a winger

He's strong and fast, takes the ball to the line and whips in the cross or picks out players with a pull back.
    Another thing, he plays to the crowd ...... goes over to the stand and whips them up into full voice.

Large (above) says Smeekes' stats are 'appalling' .......but he doesn't seem to have done his homework.
    Smeekes has always played as a direct right winger, Kyle Reid stylee, until he moved to FC Carl Zeiss last year and was converted into a channel running striker, scoring 17 goals.

So a player that can either play as a channel running striker (Garry Nelson, Darren Bent, Luke Varney, etc) or as a pacy direct winger (Kyle Reid type) who loves to take his man on and get to the byeline..... but according to the YouTube vid, he's got pace to burn.

Youtube's great ..... shows all the best bits of what a player can do. Let's hope Pardew's not in front of his computer this morning.
  • Options
    If it's a familiar face, perhaps it's Matt Holland....not the country!
  • Options
    I know it's YouTube, but that second video puts him in great light, Oggy Red. Passionate, which is probably why he has a bad disciplinary record, but pace to burn, commitment and decent crosses.

Would he be our first Dutch Antillean player? If so, snap him up fast, because the Netherlands Antilles are set to be dissolved in October.
  • Options
    Well, you know Parky's mantra for signing new players ........competitive, hungry to do well - and bust a gut for the cause.