Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Films that make men cry

With all the recent furore about Toy Story 3 supposedly reducing grown men to gibbering heaps (I've seen it - didn't make me even whimper, though it was excellent), have any Lifers got films that always make them cry? You know - films where you watch them and tell yourself that you won't cry, no matter what... but always end up bawling?

I'll start it off - there are two for me. The first isn't actually a film, but, bizarrely, an episode of Futurama. Anyone who watches the show will know the episode I mean - it's the one with Fry's dog. The end scene makes me blub every time - it's fantastically well done.

Equally as bizarre is my reaction to the film 'Silent Running' - seventies sci-fi hokum with Bruce Dern about the last forests on Earth being sent into space to save them, but the company charged with their upkeep pulling the plug because it's too expensive to keep them running. There are three little robots in the film - I won't spoil the ending for anyone lame enough to want to see it, but suffice it to say that, no matter how many times I see it, I can't help crying.

Comments

• Options
    Saving Private Ryan - The bit where the old Ryan breaks down in tears at the end. I think its the music that does me in as well.

Gladiator - Also the Hans Zimmer music, when Russel Crowe is walking through the field of wheat to his murdered wife and kid.

Nothing wrong with having a good weep to a film. Shows you got emotions.....well thats what i tell everyone.
  • Options
    The Green Mile - Gets me every time!
  • Options
    Green Mile
    UP
    Click
  • Options
    The Green Mile - I blubbed like a bitch. And this was at a packed cinema

Pursuit of Happyness - The relationship between father and son really got me going a few times.
  • Options
    Schindlers list;
    The boy in the striped PJ's;
    Life Is Beautiful.

...and Bambi of course!
  • Options
    The Green Mile and not a film but and episode of Oz in the final series had me bawling like a baby.
  • Options
    Technically doesn't count, but...

a TV programme: The littlest Hobo.

As soon as that theme tune kicks in I'm welling up like there's no tomorrow.
  • Options
    As soon as I read the title of this thread I thought of 'The Green Mile' - fantastic film

Been told 'Up' is emotional but not seen it yet

As I've only repeated what has already been said, one that I'd like to add to the list myself is 'Man on Fire'
  • Options
    This thread makes me feel allot better about myself!
  • Options
    Armageddon.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oh, and Big Daddy.
  • Options
    Green Mile
    The Pursuit of Happyness
    The Kite Runner

All made me blub like a baby!
  • Options
    Of recent films, The Road got me at the end. Did watch it with a terrible hangover though.
  • Options
    Clearly i'm just void of all emotion then because none of the films mentioned above have made me cry. Grow up you big wusses!!
    Haven't seen Toy Story 3 or Up though.............
  • Options
    Oh - and, of course, the all-time winner in the blub stakes - 'The Champ'
  • Options
    The last episode of Extra's always gets me.

Don't see how Toy Story 3 can make anyone cry.

As for films, I'm gonna show myself up and say P.S I Love You. Got forced into watching this a while back by the girlfriend and as much as I tried not to, I couldn't keep the tears away!
  • Options
    the knowing (nick cage) got me , coz he had to let his young son leave the world to start a new world really sad, i have two little kids thats why i blubbed!!
  • Options
    The Notebook.
  • Options
    i watched toy story on fri n waited for the blubbering part and then it finished!
  • Options
    brokeback mountain and sexlives of the potato men
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    too much Testosterone in this thread...

Grenn Mile

Titanic, although was only young dont think it would now
  • Options
    There is a scene in Mike Leighs 'Life is Sweet' where Alison Steadman is dusting nick-nacks and telling Jane Horrocks (BOLLOCKS TO THE POLL TAX) how upset the family got thinking they would lose her because of her bulimia that gets me every time. I really love all of Mike Leighs films, am I the only addick who does? In the theatre there are a few scenes in Chekhovs plays that usually get me if played well, and of course there are some ace Shakespeare moments that also work to get the wet eyes and sniffing from me.
  • Options
    The Crying Game - hadnt heard about the twist.
    Brought tears to my eyes thinking about it !!!
  • Options
    The only film that's ever come close to making me cry is Click. The scene where Adam Sandler goes after his son at the hospital. A very deceptive film!
  • Options
    Empire of the Sun, the last scene gets me every time
  • Options
    The Champ
  • Options
    The first 15-20 mins of Up! was brutal. Amazing how an animation could be so moving. If you havent seen it, I recommend it.
    [cite]Posted By: The Red Robin[/cite]Don't see how Toy Story 3 can make anyone cry...

Trust me, without spoiling it for anyone that hasnt seen it, when you've got a 4 year old jumping on your lap, bawling her eyes out at a particular point, its a bit difficult not too ;-) My little one was devasated and was still crying 30 mins after the film finished bless her.

Forest Gump was a bit sad, where his wife died.
  • Options
    The second half of Championship Goals 2007-2009 always gets me a bit weepy.
  • Options
    I must be devoid of emotions, films are not real life.
    Although The Road nearly had me crying, I hate wasting my life.
  • Options
    An oldie but classic, Goodbye Mr Chips.