Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton turn down Spurs friendly

124»

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Airman Brown[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]not to worry. Playing Leyton Orient now. Orient handing them 3,000 tickets at £15 a pop. Will be interesting to see how many they sell. Remind me, what league are Orient in ??

Large,

It would cost £50k in policing and stewarding/casual staffing costs for us to entertain Spurs at The Valley, because there is a particular issue between a group of Charlton fans and a group of Spurs fans that means the match would be the highest security rating. Some people on here know what that's about. Whatever you think about it, that's the cost. It doesn't apply to a match between Spurs and Orient.

Typically our pre-season crowds are about 40 per cent freebies, so they are an unreliable guide. Let's say a match at The Valley attracts a 10,000 paying spectators at £10 and £5 admission. Say we get 50-60 per cent adults and the rest concessions. That's a maximum of £80k in revenue, £68k net of VAT. Spurs also want paying.

Yes, we could charge more and people wil argue that more paying fans might attend, but there is no certainty of that. Our judgement is that it's unlikely.

On the other side of the equation, people are being made redundant at the club to save four figure sums, when the cost of redundancy is taken into account.

The balance of risk, in order to stage a meaningless match with a heavy police presence, dictates that it doesn't happen. How many people's jobs do you think it is worth?

Airman,

obviously wasn't aware of this particular issue between some Spurs and Charlton fans and that the game would be of the highest security rating. Of course staging the game isn't worth a single person's job and I wouldn't for one moment expect it to. My post was meant to be tongue in cheek. Please don't waste your time replying to my inane comments just ignore me, everyone else does !!
  • Options
    Airman, as a rule of thumb, Palace (whose crowds are pony) got 21,500 for their game with Chelsea.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]Airman, as a rule of thumb, Palace (whose crowds are pony) got 21,500 for their game with Chelsea.[/quote]

I bet Chelsea took over 7 thousand to the game which boosted the attendance.
  • Options
    I don't know the answer to this, but if you were managing a team with the number of new players and trialists we've got at the moment, would you find out more and present less of an injury risk playing a team like Kettering v a team like Spurs?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]obviously wasn't aware of this particular issue between some Spurs and Charlton fans and that the game would be of the highest security rating.

Yeah, how was you to know, it's only been mentioned several times in this very thread.....