Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton turn down Spurs friendly

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]I can't believe some of the reaction from posters on here. When you go to home games do you watch the opposition, and does the opposition dictate weather you attend or not? Bizarre.

The opposition does not dictate whether I attend or not but that said I would rather watch us play Tottenham than Dagenham.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: CHG[/cite]Very strange comments from some, couldn't care a less about Spurs in a pre-season friendly to be honest, I think we have more important issues to be worried about, the next 2-3 weeks are going to be tough, worrying about a pre-season friendly is not top of my priorities at the moment.

I'm not that bothered either this year but that said cannot help but wonder when (if ever) I will see top level football at The Valley again.

Not for a little while yet, but you never know what is round the corner, enjoy this new season, get behind the boys and hope that we are one step closer this time next year.
  • Options
    The only pre-season I go to is Welling. If this story is true then the club have done their maths and if we are not going to make money or indeed lose money then its a no-brainer, I dont know what all the fuss is about. Not forgetting that most of us don't go to watch the opposition, I'm only interested in CAFC. I couldnt care less who we played in pre-season as long as we have a match fit squad come the season kick off.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Saga Lout[/cite]We'd be lucky to get more than 5000 at a Spurs friendly - can't see their fans turning up in numbers (or ours).

I think you're very wrong, i think they'd easily fill the away end as you'd get the casual Spurs fans who can't get tickets or just don't bother going to league games. That said i'm not sure we'd get much more home fans so i doubt it'd break 10k.

Regarding Spurs playing down at Bournemouth, i just looked and the game is on July 10th so i'd imagine it's a Spurs reserve/youth team going down there as pretty much all of their first team will probably still be on their summer holidays.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]I can't believe some of the reaction from posters on here. When you go to home games do you watch the opposition, and does the opposition dictate weather you attend or not? Bizarre.

So you think the crowd down at the Valley would be the same for a game against Tottenham as it would be for a game against Crewe?
    It goes without saying that for the hardcore Charlton fans the opposition doesn't matter, but of course you get bigger crowds depending on the opposition.
  • Options
    I would never go to another friendly as they are just awful and even if we had Tottenham at home I still wouldn't go.
  • Options
    Saying that I would prob only go if we played Rangers at home but that would be the only time!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: CHG[/cite]Very strange comments from some, couldn't care a less about Spurs in a pre-season friendly to be honest, I think we have more important issues to be worried about, the next 2-3 weeks are going to be tough, worrying about a pre-season friendly is not top of my priorities at the moment.

I'm not that bothered either this year but that said cannot help but wonder when (if ever) I will see top level football at The Valley again.

Get a grip Len...
  • Options
    Having spoken to Mick Everett, it appears there are specific issues attached to playing Spurs at The Valley that would dramatically inflate the police bill. Spurs were also looking for a return that we could not guarantee would be there.

We tried to line up another Prem club that in my view would have been just as attractive and the numbers on that stacked up, but it fell through.
  • Options
    My point in putting up the sort of friendlies that Bournemouth have lined up is only to illustrate just how much in the financial do do we must be.

I get the point about AFCB's overheads being less of course, that goes without reason, if not only because they have a 3 sided ground but presumably they also have an income significantly less than ours too to match it? I don't agree they'd get more fans attending than we could at all.

Whatever, someone at CAFC has done the sums and, rightly IMO, decided that on balance it is not worth it and perhaps we should be grateful for that in the longer term.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Spurs looking for a return that we could not guarantee would be there..... A team in the Champions League wants a guaranteed amount from a friendly against an impoverished Third Division neighbour. The greed & self interest of PL teams gets ever more staggering.

I would have thought they would have been delighted with a decent work out in readiness for the new season. Hopefully their venture into the CL will be as brief as Everton's.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Red God[/cite]Spurs looking for a return that we could not guarantee would be there..... A team in the Champions League wants a guaranteed amount from a friendly against an impoverished Third Division neighbour. The greed & self interest of PL teams gets ever more staggering.

I would have thought they would have been delighted with a decent work out in readiness for the new season. Hopefully their venture into the CL will be as brief as Everton's.

exactly what I was just thinking myself....do they REALLY need the money !!!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]

So you think the crowd down at the Valley would be the same for a game against Tottenham as it would be for a game against Crewe?
    It goes without saying that for the hardcore Charlton fans the opposition doesn't matter, but of course you get bigger crowds depending on the opposition.

Exactly. Otherwise you'd still be getting sell out crowds like you did in the premiership.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Airman Brown[/cite]Having spoken to Mick Rick Everett
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Airman Brown[/cite]Having spoken to Mick Everett, it appears there are specific issues attached to playing Spurs at The Valley that would dramatically inflate the police bill. Spurs were also looking for a return that we could not guarantee would be there.

We tried to line up another Prem club that in my view would have been just as attractive and the numbers on that stacked up, but it fell through.

No doubt the specific issue is the potential for their firm to come mob handed to renew acquaintances with a firm from Millwall for the first time since 2001.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]We are in a situation (it seems), that we can have X list celebs running about our pitch but not Premiership football teams?

Seems nuts to me.

The organisers of that tournament would've hired the ground & most likely paid for the stewarding, security, etc & maybe even cover the costs of our regular staff.(well, the price we charged them would've certainly covered our staff)
    I may be wrong, but not all sides of the ground were open either, so that would also mean way less costs.

Difference is, with the 6-aside, we would've been guaranteed a profit, with Spuds, there is no guarantee of even breaking even. No-brainer for me!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Red God[/cite]Spurs looking for a return that we could not guarantee would be there..... A team in the Champions League wants a guaranteed amount from a friendly against an impoverished Third Division neighbour. The greed & self interest of PL teams gets ever more staggering.

Totally agree with this post.
  • Options
    Very glad we're not playing Spurs. If they'd smashed us I'd never have heard the end of it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Sparrows Lane Lion[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Airman Brown[/cite]Having spoken to Mick Everett, it appears there are specific issues attached to playing Spurs at The Valley that would dramatically inflate the police bill. Spurs were also looking for a return that we could not guarantee would be there.

No doubt the specific issue is the potential for their firm to come mob handed to renew acquaintances with a firm from Millwall for the first time since 2001.
    Thanks for giving the police's side PC Lion.

Crowds are down because mainly because the casual non-Charlton fans have stopped going since we got relegated from the premiership.
  • Options
    anyone who think that the yid army wouldnt bring 3k to us are mad there is so many sth london spurs that the 3k could be taken up by them alone let alone the morons over here
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oh god someone buy our club soon....
  • Options
    Oh god someone buy our club soon....
  • Options
    SE9SE9
    edited June 2010
    quote# 76
    Posted By: Airman Brown
    Having spoken to Mick Everett, it appears there are specific issues attached to playing Spurs at The Valley that would dramatically inflate the police bill. Spurs were also looking for a return that we could not guarantee would be there.

I dont think so mate as they have been to the valley 5/6 times since 2001. There are other factors for this.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SE9[/cite]quote# 76
    Posted By: Airman Brown

I dont think so mate as they have been to the valley 5/6 times since 2001. There are other factors for this.

Fair enough, not sure what other factors would drive the police bill up though?

(those other tottenham visits by the way, we probably were playing away plus it wouldn't be easy for their firm to get tickets either plus a premier league game means a higher police presence than a 10,000 friendly)
  • Options
    i cant stand tottenham,glad we are not hosting them in a friendly
  • Options
    not to worry. Playing Leyton Orient now. Orient handing them 3,000 tickets at £15 a pop. Will be interesting to see how many they sell. Remind me, what league are Orient in ??
  • Options
    spurs will sell out whatever orient give them
  • Options
    spurs would sell anything they were given at charlton,anyway kettering looks tasty
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]not to worry. Playing Leyton Orient now. Orient handing them 3,000 tickets at £15 a pop. Will be interesting to see how many they sell. Remind me, what league are Orient in ??

Large,

It would cost £50k in policing and stewarding/casual staffing costs for us to entertain Spurs at The Valley, because there is a particular issue between a group of Charlton fans and a group of Spurs fans that means the match would be the highest security rating. Some people on here know what that's about. Whatever you think about it, that's the cost. It doesn't apply to a match between Spurs and Orient. It wouldn't apply to a match between Charlton and Arsenal.

Typically our pre-season crowds are about 40 per cent freebies, so they are an unreliable guide. Let's say a match at The Valley attracts 10,000 paying spectators at £10 and £5 admission. Say we get 50-60 per cent adults and the rest concessions. That's a maximum of £80k in revenue, £68k net of VAT. Spurs also want paying.

Yes, we could charge more and people wil argue that more paying fans might attend, but there is no certainty of that. Our judgement is that it's unlikely.

On the other side of the equation, people are being made redundant at the club to save four figure sums, when the cost of redundancy is taken into account.

The balance of risk, in order to stage a meaningless match with a heavy police presence, dictates that it doesn't happen. How many people's jobs do you think it is worth?
  • Options
    All very interesting Airman but Orient are in League One like us so I'm going to ignore all all as it doesn't fit into my world view right now.

: - (