Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The 2010 FA Cup Final

The Cup Final used to be such a big thing and the build up seemed to go on for weeks.

I still have a place in my heart for the Cup despite it not being quite the event it was.

Focusing on Friday and Monday but looking forward to Saturday as well.

I'll be supporting the underdog even if Pompey are a prime example of how overspending can damage clubs as it is against Chelsea.

If Portsmouth win it will be the biggest upset since 2nd Division Sunderland beating Leeds in 73 or maybe 2nd Div West Ham beating Arsenal in 81.

Don't fall for the fallacy from the commentators' that Wimbledon beating Liverpool was a big upset. Liverpool might have been champions and favourites but Wimbledon were a top flight club and had finished 7th that year. They had drawn at home with Liverpool and only lost 2 -1 at Anfield. The year before they had won the league match at Anfield after their players gobbed on the "This is Anfield" sign before the Liverpool players touched it for luck.

My prediction. Chelsea 3 - 0 Pompey but England world cup player goes off injured.

Comments

• Yea cup final day is always a good laugh no matter what but the magic has gone with the predictableness of football. Long gone are the days of cup upsets yea Chelsea will win 3/4/5/6/7/8/- 0 they are free scoring atm so they could even rack up double figures vs a team like pompey. Its teams like Chelsea who have ruined this tournement and everyone thinks European football is more important its all about the money.
  • Love the cup

Come on Pompey
  • I reckon the EU have made a new law that TV companies must show at least 7 shots of that Pompey fan with the bell and tattoos at every televised Portsmouth game.
  • Used to love cup final day when I was younger, cup final question of sport and cup final saint & greavsie etc....will watch it saturday after the millwall / hudds game, would like to see pompey win but if chelsea score in the first 10 / 15 mins I could see another 7 / 8 nil scoreline.
  • 6 - 0 I think the record cup final score is.

Bury v Derby or similar in the 1900s ??????

Would be funny to see that beaten but bad for the Cup long term.
  • Chelsea could easily beat that record score as long as they don't take their foot off the gas if they go 2 or 3 up.

Agree wouldn't be a great advert around the world if they just smash them.
  • John Westwood is the fan you refer to Henry, very middle class & proprietor of a bookshop believe it or not.

The Cup has largely lost its magic because of the wall-to-wall coverage now on tv,whereas the Final used to be one of very few games shown live.

Still trying to get my head round how Pompey were punished by the PL for going into administration but got off scot free in the FAC. If they had fielded an ineligible player as a sub for the last 10 minutes when 3-0 up, they would have been kicked-out of the competition, but escape any punislment for a far more serious 'crime'. Don't think they should be in the competition so it's Chelsea for me.
  • [cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite]Long gone are the days of cup upsets

Mate, I think we're the last team to say the days of cup upsets are gone after this year !!!
  • [cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite] Long gone are the days of cup upsets

Man Utd 0 Leeds 1
    Northwich 1 Charlton 0
    Stoke 3 Arsenal 1
    Palace 3 Wolves 1
    Liverpool 1 Reading 2
    Spurs 0 Portsmouth 2

Just some of the upsets from this years competition.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: se9addick[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite]Long gone are the days of cup upsets[/quote]

Mate, I think we're the last team to say the days of cup upsets are gone after this year !!![/quote]

and the year before, and the one before that......

what happened to chelseas transfer embargo for the tapping up anyway, all seems to have gone quiet on that front
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: ads[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: se9addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite]Long gone are the days of cup upsets

Mate, I think we're the last team to say the days of cup upsets are gone after this year !!!

and the year before, and the one before that......

what happened to chelseas transfer embargo for the tapping up anyway, all seems to have gone quiet on that front

It was over turned.
  • If Chelsea are out of sight by half time, it'll turn into a turkey shoot
  • Been a great FA cup year for the neutral, lots of upsets and some fine games. Just a pity the only channel to show it are ITV as their coverage is generally awful.

Maybe there will be one more upset, can't see it though and this could be another cricket score for Chelsea.
  • I don't think I have felt so little interest in this years FA Cup Final since....Well last years I guess.
    Without really thinking hard I cannot even remember last years, oh yes Chelsea V Everton I think.
    I can run off results and winning goalscorers from 1970 to about 1996/7 I reckon without too much trouble. After that they are just a blur.
    I do know for sure that West ham beat Arsenal in 1980 though and not '81 as quoted earlier in the thread. I won't make a scene about it though, not like some do.
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]I reckon the EU have made a new law that TV companies must show at least 7 shots of that Pompey fan with the bell and tattoos at every televised Portsmouth game.

LOL" Mr John Portsmouth Football Club Westwood" i have met him, breifly, hes a nice guy, a bit opsessed but a nice enough bloke.
  • Used to love cup final day, watching all the build up from midday onwards, teams leaving the hotel, the coach journey to Wembley etc, now i couldn't care less and probably won't even watch it. Might have watched it if it was Spurs instead of Pompey but doesn't bother me now as it'll be a good 3/4/5-0.
  • edited May 2010
    Can't say i've ever been that excited by the cuip final. It was before my time when it was the only game on TV and you had days of build up.

Apart from a few exceptions (Liverpool v Westham) most of them are incredibly dull. I think the earlier rounds are where all the excitment is when you get a chance for a giant killing.

Usually the final is an oppurtunity for one of the big teams to win a trophy they don't really care about.

Not going to bother watching the one on the weekend.
  • [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite]Long gone are the days of cup upsets

Man Utd 0 Leeds 1
    Northwich 1 Charlton 0
    Stoke 3 Arsenal 1
    Palace 3 Wolves 1
    Liverpool 1 Reading 2
    Spurs 0 Portsmouth 2

Just some of the upsets from this years competition.

When you look at the teams fielded on the day they are not really upsets tbh Stoke beat an under 21s side 3-1. Reading was an upset but our game i expeced us to loose.
  • Apparently the FA have asked Chelsea to "stop" at four goals as they don't want the occasion to be trivialised.Shocking.
  • All these people saying they won't watch it surprises me a little, I may be a little obsessed but if there is football on TV I will watch it I don't really care who is playing but I will definitely watch the cup final, just has to be done whoever it is.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]I reckon the EU have made a new law that TV companies must show at least 7 shots of that Pompey fan with the bell and tattoos at every televised Portsmouth game.

Saw him on a TV interview some weeks ago and I was taken aback as to how intelligent and articulate he was.

I expected to him to be a right thicko.
  • [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]I reckon the EU have made a new law that TV companies must show at least 7 shots of that Pompey fan with the bell and tattoos at every televised Portsmouth game.

Saw him on a TV interview some weeks ago and I was taken aback as to how intelligent and articulate he was.

He is actually genuinley quiet intelligent hence running a book store when i met him he surprised me allot fair play to him.
  • It could be a long day if Chelsea get an early goal.

I personally don't think I will be able to watch anymore if the game is still 0-0 at the start of the 2nd half.

Might put a £10 bet on Skates to win it, win/win for me.
  • Cup Final day every year has involved a big meet up of friends & a day out on the lash for as long as I can remember, this year for the first time ever we are not bothering.
  • [cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]I reckon the EU have made a new law that TV companies must show at least 7 shots of that Pompey fan with the bell and tattoos at every televised Portsmouth game.

He is actually genuinley quiet intelligent hence running a book store when i met him he surprised me allot fair play to him.

Still looks a prat though
  • edited May 2010
    It's a good point Henry, and was wondering the same earlier this week. The Cup final build up used to be huge but you could be forgiven for thinking there is no game this year. Perhaps it's due to clubs fielding weak teams in recent years, The FA asking Utd to pull out of the competetion, the relatively low financial gains, or maybe just the predicability of this years final. Whatever the reason I still get excited about the final and still it as see as one of, if not the biggest day in English football.
  • I think the fact that it's not on Sky means they almost ignore it as they do for most non-sky events (wait for the world cup)

Similar for BBC. ITV are awful on football but it's still the Cup Final.
  • [cite]Posted By: DaveMehmet[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]

Still looks a prat though

Its not all about looks though is it. Cant judge a book by its cover mate and all that rubbish :-)
  • [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]I don't think I have felt so little interest in this years FA Cup Final since....Well last years I guess.

Same here, no real interest in it. Will probably do the garden instead.

What's your main FA Cup final memories from when you were younger ?

Mine i reckon were the Cov v Spurs final, brilliant game and occassion, and individual moment, Moran being distraught for Man U when getting sent off
  • edited May 2010
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]I don't think I have felt so little interest in this years FA Cup Final since....Well last years I guess.

What's your main FA Cup final memories from when you were younger ?

The Coventry-Spurs final was the first one i really remember. Also Wimbledon shocking Liverpool a year later.