Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

+++Shelvey to sign for Liverpool - Confirmed+++

Comments

• Options
    i can't be bothered to be annoyed/dissapointed/angry at the terms of the deal. if this keeps us solvent then that's enough. It's rich to be blaming parky though.

shelvey, you've shown real class and professionalism throughout your time here. i'm gutted you won't be playing in a charlton shirt, but i'll be immensily proud seeing you in the premiership, and hopefully one day, for england.

Best of luck.

this is the same horrible parker feeling. but in some ways worse - i can completly understand his reasons for leaving, it's just that now we're plainly not good enough for him. not, like parker, who considered he was too good for us.

so, now he's going to a big club - will he be on the plane to south africa? *cheeky winky thingy*
  • Options
    Eh Unc.Carm down.carm down! ;-)
  • Options
    In that case it is strange but I'm not too sure teling a 17/18 year old youngster that Liverpool are sniffing around is a great idea during a season where you want the squad to remain focussed
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BrentfordAddick[/cite]Good luck to the fella. In their own way Liverpool are almost as skint as we are and it might be good for the 'English Game', whatever that is, if clubs like Liverpool start taking a punt on useful UK youngsters rather than overrated Europeans.

Liverpool are one of the world's great clubs and his family should be very proud of him.

We are mate ...Very proud indeed just as we was when he signed for Charlton
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: carly burn[/cite]Eh Unc.Carm down.carm down! ;-)

Ha ha not sure i could chat on their sites i think it would drive me insane
  • Options
    JTJT
    edited April 2010
    ...and West Ham have stayed up [somehow!]

Good week all round for the Shelvey's
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: stevietwells[/cite]Assuming the deal is anything like what’s being speculated then the board are to be congratulated. We ain’t Premier League no-more, 3rd division clubs have got no bargaining power or influence! I wonder what people thing we’ll get for Bailey or Sam if we don’t get promoted. Bet it won’t top £1m each or £1.5m the pair!

you will get NOTHING for Sam if he goes, he's out of contract.
  • Options
    I'm assuming uncle has some sort of connection to the board? Sorry have not read the thread in detail as I've just got back from work and wanted to post my best wishes to Jonjo.

It will be good if we can use 500k-1mil of that for transfers next season. Will he be available for play offs?
  • Options
    Go out tomorrow unc and get the boy a stick on tash, mop wig and a dodgy tracksuit
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: CrayAddick[/cite]I'm assuming uncle has some sort of connection to the board?

eh? he's the boy's uncle funnily enough!

and no play-offs i'd imagine
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Didn't realise, Large. Well, at least that'll be the last of the overpaid, underachievers!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: CrayAddick[/cite]I'm assuming uncle has some sort of connection to the board? Sorry have not read the thread in detail as I've just got back from work and wanted to post my best wishes to Jonjo.

It will be good if we can use 500k-1mil of that for transfers next season. Will he be available for play offs?

no Uncle is Jonjo's uncle
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]
    [cite aria-level=0 aria-posinset=0 aria-setsize=0]Posted By: stevietwells[/cite]Assuming the deal is anything like what’s being speculated then the board are to be congratulated. We ain’t Premier League no-more, 3rd division clubs have got no bargaining power or influence! I wonder what people thing we’ll get for Bailey or Sam if we don’t get promoted. Bet it won’t top £1m each or £1.5m the pair!

you will get NOTHING for Sam if he goes, he's out of contract.

Hopefully watching this Shelvey episode unfold will give Sam the kick up the backside he needs.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: CrayAddick[/cite]I'm assuming uncle has some sort of connection to the board? ?

To the board with the family tree attached....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: stevietwells[/cite]Didn't realise, Large. Well, at least that'll be the last of the overpaid, underachievers!

I'm not his greatest fan but that is more than a little harsh imo, and I doubt he's that overpaid either.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: No.1 in South London[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: IA[/cite]I don't understand why the OS would keep the £5m figure quiet

It only says an "initial" £1.7M, so maybe more in a month, 3 months .............. they'll tell us soon enough.

The OS says "Liverpool will pay an initial £1.7m for the England youth international, with further potential payments depending on domestic and international appearances."

which to me says that any further money depends on what may happen, not guaranteed payments down the line. If it was a £5 million payment immediately, I imagine our OS would be stating that, after all I think we could all then understand why he's gone now as opposed to after the playoffs.
  • Options
    Uncle, if a player imposes himself on a division he regularly shows himself to be amoungst the best in it. Only Dailly, Semedo, Bailey and Burton have come close to that for us, imo, and only Dailly and Semedo have done it all season long. Jonjo has shown flashes of being better than this league but he's got lost in games too (to repeat, that's perfect acceptable from an 18 year old) that's why he a people like Racon haven't played more. Of course he's at League 1 level and I never said he wasn't, but is he too important to our first team to make selling him unthinkable, no he isn't - this isn't like when we folded and sold Parker and Reid. That's all I'm saying and I don't think it's unreasonable.

Anyway, I don't want to turn this into an argument. Good luck to Jonjo and I hope you and the rest of his family get many happy years watching his career progress. Just try and stay out of The Sun! ;-)
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: stevietwells[/cite]Didn't realise, Large. Well, at least that'll be the last of the overpaid, underachievers![/quote]

I'm not his greatest fan but that is more than a little harsh imo, and I doubt he's that overpaid either.[/quote]

Bet he's comfortably one of the highest paid players in the div. Final ball/shot too feeble, too often. As with Jonjo, was really hoping he'd be a class above in this div. Don't think you could say he was.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]Uncle, if a player imposes himself on a division he regularly shows himself to be amoungst the best in it. Only Dailly, Semedo, Bailey and Burton have come close to that for us, imo, and only Dailly and Semedo have done it all season long. Jonjo has shown flashes of being better than this league but he's got lost in games too (to repeat, that's perfect acceptable from an 18 year old) that's why he a people like Racon haven't played more. Of course he's at League 1 level and I never said he wasn't, but is he too important to our first team to make selling him unthinkable, no he isn't - this isn't like when we folded and sold Parker and Reid. That's all I'm saying and I don't think it's unreasonable.

Anyway, I don't want to turn this into an argument. Good luck to Jonjo and I hope you and the rest of his family get many happy years watching his career progress. Just try and stay out of The Sun! ;-)

Are you sure.I can think of more than one occasion this season where Semedo has been absolute toilet.
  • Options
    isn't the point though Exiled that he should have played much more and would have gained that experience as he went along. We are in Tier 3 as people keep pointing out and not the PL and as a result Jonjo should have played far more often than he has.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The only reason to sell now is that we need the money now.

The fact that we couldn't wait until the end of the play-offs speaks volumes for our financial position, which must be desperate.

This may be enough to keep us going, but there has to be an impact on team morale, and the fact that Jonjo won't be available for a game-changing substitute appearance in the semis or at Wembley is another blow.

The performance against Leeds will tell us a lot. There are still plausible scenarios for us to go up automatically, but the players have to be up for it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: allez les addicks[/cite]If it was a £5 million payment immediately, I imagine our OS would be stating that, after all I think we could all then understand why he's gone now as opposed to after the playoffs.

It will be an initial £1.7m rising to £4m in total over the years.
  • Options
    All the very best in your future career, Jonjo. Proud that you started out with us, and hope you go on to achieve all that you are capable of.

A little disappointed in the initial fee, but beggars can't be choosers - If this is a Robert Lee moment, and keeps us in business (or in the hunt for a takoevoer), then sometimes we have to consider the bigger picture, and appreciate that the board have to make such decisions.

Pretty much confirmed by Parky tonight, I believe, that we won't see him at Charlton again - so no involvement in the playoffs :-(
  • Options
    Started reading the thread but got bored.

Good luck Jonjo

(only pain in the arse is I just learnt the words to palcafc's Jonjo song, what a waste of time that was)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: allez les addicks[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: No.1 in South London[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: IA[/cite]I don't understand why the OS would keep the £5m figure quiet

It only says an "initial" £1.7M, so maybe more in a month, 3 months .............. they'll tell us soon enough.

The OS says "Liverpool will pay an initial £1.7m for the England youth international, with further potential payments depending on domestic and international appearances."

which to me says that any further money depends on what may happen, not guaranteed payments down the line. If it was a £5 million payment immediately, I imagine our OS would be stating that, after all I think we could all then understand why he's gone now as opposed to after the playoffs.

Ok then your right
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]
    Pretty much confirmed by Parky tonight, I believe, that we won't see him at Charlton again

PARKY OUT - lacks ambition to get us back in the Premiership :o)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: stevietwells[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: stevietwells[/cite]Didn't realise, Large. Well, at least that'll be the last of the overpaid, underachievers!

I'm not his greatest fan but that is more than a little harsh imo, and I doubt he's that overpaid either.

Bet he's comfortably one of the highest paid players in the div. Final ball/shot too feeble, too often. As with Jonjo, was really hoping he'd be a class above in this div. Don't think you could say he was.
    Probably is, but that's his contract back from when Dowie had just came in, it's to be expected.

He's inconsistent yes, so underachieving to an extent, but 9 assists and 4 goals is a decent (not great) return.

I'd actually say Sam isn't quite as talented as often made out. There are plenty of wingers with a bit of pace and skill. The better wingers in the Championship surely have more to their game than he does, either set up and/or score more regularly, have a better football brain and that bit more pace. Often pointed out he's not the fittest player around either.
  • Options
    Alan Simonsen played for us many years ago and at times looked ordinary in division 2 partly because the likes of dear old Martin Robinson (a player I admired by the way) and others were not good enough to appreciate what he was trying to do.

I'm not suggesting Jonjo is on a par with a European footballer of the year (although hopefully one day he may be) but the point stands that his footballing intelligence was better than the players around him and so he too would look ordinary at times.

I don't know whether Racon has some dodgy photos of Parky in his possession but if, as appears from uncles comments, Parky wasn't ordered not to play Jonjo it is a mystery to me why he did not!
  • Options
    I can't see how the club would settle for 1.7m initial.

Definitely more to it.
  • Options
    Always been of the opinion that we were never going to see the best of Shelvey here and he was always leaving sooner rather than later. Saying that imo of what I've seen of him this season he still needs alot of work to be anywhere near a Premier League team currently.

Whether or not we would've done better with him in the team over the last few months will remain a mystery.

Why is announced now is a tad weird. Only a month ago the board were shelling out for more loan signings.