Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

does anyone know where this is?

Comments

• [cite]Posted By: sporaddick[/cite]It looks to me like Woolwich Road looking towards Woolwich from roughly around the roundabout at Warspite Road with Prospect Vale up on the right.

That would fit in with the description of the Siemens factory being to the left (although it was quite a distance from the road) and the Valley being generally to the right but not directly behind the houses - rather some distance away too.

I think you might have nailed it.
  • edited April 2010
    [cite]Posted By: creepyaddick[/cite]What's the pub?

That's what was the Ship and Billet on the corner of Blackwall Lane and Woolwich Road - more latterly called the Frog and Radiator.
  • Clever clogs Tony!
  • [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]Clever clogs Tony!

I think I've lived in this area too long! :-)
  • Agreed that it's looking back towards Woolwich from the Prospect Vale area. Woolwich Dockyard station would be behind the houses on the right rather than the Valley!I think the motorcycle could be the big 600c.c single cylinder Panther, one of the favourites for sidecar work. The tram has just changed from the overhead wires to the underground pick-up at the Beresford Street change pit.
  • [cite]Posted By: March51[/cite]The tram has just changed from the overhead wires to the underground pick-up at the Beresford Street change pit.

I knew we could rely on you for the tram info, Terry!

:o)
  • edited April 2010
    From my memories I'd say that was Woolwich Church Street, roughly where the CO-OP was with the massive chimney, at the bottom of that hill is where the Albion now stands/stood...

I used to travel on the 163 to Camberwell practically every week to visit relatives and those houses seem quite familiar...
  • Good call redzed, that would mean where the houses are, now stands the adventure playground
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: creepyaddick[/cite]Thanks TH.
    All because of one photo I found some very interesting historical facts today.
    Cheers![/quote]

No problem! You're right about companies wanting their cake and eating it in wartime though - some of the first incendiary bombs dropped by the Luftwaffe on England in 1940 were stamped 'Made in Islington!" The arms trade in particular have no scruples about who they sell their gear to.

Going back to Siemens, my sister tells me that my Nan used to work down there in the 1930s!
  • Sponsored links:

• More than 40 posts about an old street photo ....... fascinating thread!

And on a football message board too, lol
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]More than 40 posts about an old street photo ....... fascinating thread!

And on a football message board too, lol

Not quite up to a 'shaggin a horse thread' standards yet Oggy ;-)
  • [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]Not quite up to a 'shaggin a horse thread' standards yet Oggy ;-)

LOL .........you'll notice I passed on that one, Gary!!
  • Going back to the big chimney in Church Street, if it's still there, when the Who had their first concert at the Valley a couple of blokes climbed up it, got stuck and had to be rescued by helicopter....
  • The picture is of what we called Albion Hill with the Albion pub on the right looking up the hill and Commonwealth Buildings opposite.
    At the top on the right was a pub called the Havelock.
  • [cite]Posted By: Tom Hovi[/cite]...
    Going back to Siemens, my sister tells me that my Nan used to work down there in the 1930s!

My grandad worked there from the 30's through until it closed down and my dad started his apprenticeship there. I've been told that there was considerable bouts of 'illness' when CAFC played a midweek game before the days of floodlights...
  • Dave Rudd, lived with parents in upstairs flat at 99 victoria way until 1965 then we moved upwards ... To Cherry Orchard Estate ;-)
  • edited April 2010
    [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]Dave Rudd, lived with parents in upstairs flat at 99 victoria way until 1965 then we moved

all true charlton fans lived at this exact address!
  • [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]Dave Rudd, lived with parents in upstairs flat at 99 victoria way until 1965 then we moved upwards ... To Cherry Orchard Estate ;-)

Ah, Victoria Way. Home of all true Charlton fans. You could leave for the ground at 2.45 and be in your place before kick-off.

Anyway, came across this the other day. Quite fascinating.

http://charltonaverage.blogspot.com/2009/01/history-of-floyd-road-part-1-1867.html
  • [cite]Posted By: Dave Rudd[/cite]Anyway, came across this the other day. Quite fascinating.

http://charltonaverage.blogspot.com/2009/01/history-of-floyd-road-part-1-1867.html

One of the gardens where the junction of Charlton Church Lane/Floyd Road is today, referred to in the blog - is obviously the original large garden of that interesting nigh-on 200 year old house on the corner, wantonly torn down last year.

The bridge under the railway/footpath evidently was the route of the horse drawn tramway that ran from the gravel pits (where The Valley is now) right down to the quayside for loading ballast in to Thames barges, etc.

I believe the extension of the main railway from it's original terminus at Greenwich, through Woolwich and Dartford to Gravesend was built around 1849, so was well established at the time of that 1867 map.

Fascinating .... you never know, might be an early photo from the last quarter of the 19th century still existing.
    Otherwise, seeing surviving early buildings and landmarks, it doesn't take too much imagination to picture how the area once looked in more rural times.
  • Sponsored links:

• All true fans walked this way from Kent through woolwich in the late 70s to have enough money to buy 10 No6 to pollute their lungs and a wagon wheel, proper size of course.
  • edited April 2010
    My Grandad lived in one of those :) the reason why my dad and as a result, me support Charlton. Wouldn't change my team for any other in the land, and im so glad my dad brainwashed me from an early age!
    Up the Charlton!
  • Dave Rudd
    Ah Victoria Way home of all true Charlton fans.
    My gran-parents lived at number 27 Victoria Way ,and my father was born at that address also worked in Victoria Way
    for Johnson and Phillips.Does that make me a true fan aswell.
  • edited April 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Lewis Coaches[/cite]Dave Rudd
    My gran-parents lived at number 27 Victoria Way ,and my father was born at that address also worked in Victoria Way

Used to work for Delta cables (J&P) many moons ago.
  • [cite]Posted By: Lewis Coaches[/cite]Dave Rudd

No. 27, eh? That'll be somewhere near the Warner family then. The old boy drove a coal lorry. His son, Freddy, was about my age.

We lived at No. 7.
  • I lived (briefly) as a baby in the block opposite Harold Gibbons Court on Victoria Way, and I was christened in St Lukes in Charlton Village, my uncle still lives in Harold Gibbons, therefore, I am officially declaring myself pwoper Charlton based on those facts.
  • Blimey, there's a lot of us from Victoria Way!
  • My sister lives there now.
  • edited April 2010
    And my first house from birth was 135 Victoria way . Best I start supporting Charlton then.