Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

does anyone know where this is?

edited April 2010 in General Charlton
just found this, the only info iv found is "Behind the houses on the right is Charlton Athletic football ground. The lefthand side of the road was the Siemens factory"

any idea of the year?
is it woolwich road?

lack of traffic

Comments

• I think thats Henry on the bike
  • Mr and mrs mogs bike and side car too... ;-)

I'm sure there's a few tram spotters on here who will be able to help.

As a local, all I can think of judging the slight hill and bend to the left is that it could be up by where the albion pub is and the adventure playground, that slopes up and bends left.

Will ask my old man he will know.
  • edited April 2010
    also just found this from wartime valley dec 1940,

"When crowds of people were gathered together during the war, even for football matches, it was a good idea to have someone on duty to watch out for enemy planes and warn in case of air raids. The photo shows a spotter at work at the Charlton Athletic ground, The Valley, in December 1940."

not much of a crowd there by the look of it
  • [cite]Posted By: Shag[/cite]I think thats Henry on the bike

It cant be Henry i'm sure he's not wearing a cardy
  • Its Woolwich Rd. Siemens had a factory to the north of Woolwich rd i think.
  • [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Shag[/cite]I think thats Henry on the bike

It cant be Henry i'm sure he's not wearing a cardy

Good spot Unc , but I don't think they were invented back in the good old days
  • JTJT
    edited April 2010
    All wrong so far
  • It looks like Woolwich Road.

The tram dates the picture as pre-1952, but March 51 will know! ;o)

The motorbike & combo might also be a clue to dating it, and the fact there is no other traffic might indicate a time early during the war (or a Sunday) as there seems to be no bomb damage.
  • Picture taken 1st July 1951.

link (if it works) plus other pics;

dewi.ca/trains/london/trams.html
  • [cite]Posted By: HardyAddick[/cite]Its Woolwich Rd. Siemens had a factory to the north of Woolwich rd i think.

That's right, they did.

Fairly certain pic is Woolwich Road. However, Charlton are not behind the houses, looks like this was taken further down Woolwich Road and where Siemens were actually situated. In any event, Siemens and the Valley were not on direct opposite sides of the road.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: HardyAddick[/cite]Picture taken 1st July 1951.

link (if it works) plus other pics;

dewi.ca/trains/london/trams.html

51 is it? thought it was a lot older than that like the 20's
  • maybe they have got the siemens factory being on the lefthand side of the road wrong and maybe the valley is to the right which would make it just up from the anti wouldnt it?
  • The houses on Woolwich Rd with The Valley behind them, were mainly taller 3-storey houses and shops - if I remember correctly, torn down in the 70s.

So in the picture, they'd be top left.
  • Pic of the factory from maryon park (apparently)
  • So would the valley be to the left of this picture?
  • Some interesting reading regarding siemens brothers.
    Not only were they laying pipelines from england to france to supply oil to our troops but they were involved in actually building aushwitz and using slave labour from the concentration camps!
    Cake and eat it springs to mind.
  • If the info about Siemens being on the left hand side of the picture is correct, that does make this Woolwich Road ... looking towards Woolwich, just past the Horse and Groom at the bottom of Charlton Lane and before Warspite Road. The Valley was not directly opposite Siemens ... more towards Greenwich, but on the right side of this picture.

I lived close to that area during the late 50's and early 60's and I don't recognise the picture, so it either pre-dates that or it's somewhere else.

Oggy's right about the houses between The Valley and Woolwich Road (opposite where the retail park/Travis Perkins etc is now - the old Stone's sports ground). They were quite tall, grand affairs with a fairly long front garden. I can't imagine them having replaced the houses we see in the picture, so that would support the fact that this shot is nearer towards Woolwich.
  • [cite]Posted By: creepyaddick[/cite]So would the valley be to the left of this picture?

Yes, that Cox's Mount in the foreground (Gilbert's Pit area), so The Valley is to the left of this picture
  • So if you're at the Valley, looking towards the river, the Siemens factory would be on the right further towards Woolwich?
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Dave Rudd[/cite]If the info about Siemens being on the left hand side of the picture is correct, that does make this Woolwich Road ... looking towards Woolwich, just past the Horse and Groom at the bottom of Charlton Lane and before Warspite Road. The Valley was not directly opposite Siemens ... more towards Greenwich, but on the right side of this picture.

I lived close to that area during the late 50's and early 60's and I don't recognise the picture, so it either pre-dates that or it's somewhere else.

Oggy's right about the houses between The Valley and Woolwich Road (opposite where the retail park/Travis Perkins etc is now - the old Stone's sports ground). They were quite tall, grand affairs with a fairly long front garden. I can't imagine them having replaced the houses we see in the picture, so that would support the fact that this shot is nearer towards Woolwich.

Not sure if it is that stretch of Woolwich Road. My great aunt used to live pretty much opposite Eastmoor Street before the road was widened and the houses don't look right. I'm fairly sure they were built early 1900's.
  • [cite]Posted By: creepyaddick[/cite]So if you're at the Valley, looking towards the river, the Siemens factory would be on the right further towards Woolwich?

Correct
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: creepyaddick[/cite]Some interesting reading regarding siemens brothers.
    Not only were they laying pipelines from england to france to supply oil to our troops but they were involved in actually building aushwitz and using slave labour from the concentration camps!
    Cake and eat it springs to mind.[/quote]

Not quite that simple Creepy - Siemens was and is originally a German company, hence the Auschwitz connection but Siemens UK became a wholly British company in 1914 when the shares were confiscated by the British Government on the outbreak of the Great War. It wasn't until sometime post World War 2 that the company was re-integrated with the German parent, although I don't know if any of the German management responsible for the work for the Nazis were still involved by the time (as they were at Krupps for example.)
  • Thanks TH.
    All because of one photo I found some very interesting historical facts today.
    Cheers!
  • Are we sure this is Woolwich Road?

Looks too steep to me although I accept cameras can lie.

I wondered if it was Victoria Way or similar.
  • i think you can see from the rooftops that there is a definate slope. did trams used to run down victoria way though or could it be up past waspite road where the albion is before woolwich dockyard
  • Not Victoria Way - I lived there as a kid and looks very different. I am still certain it is Woolwich Road.
  • [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]Not Victoria Way - I lived there as a kid and looks very different. I am still certain it is Woolwich Road.

It's definitely not Victoria Way. There were never tram lines in Victoria Way.

stonemuse - were we neighbours? My guess is that you were on Cash in the Attic or something last year?
  • It looks to me like Woolwich Road looking towards Woolwich from roughly around the roundabout at Warspite Road with Prospect Vale up on the right.

That would fit in with the description of the Siemens factory being to the left (although it was quite a distance from the road) and the Valley being generally to the right but not directly behind the houses - rather some distance away too.