Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton vs. Colchester - Just a poll today, you do your own previews!

Comments

• edited April 2010
    Akpo and Forster up front.

Bailey on the left , Semedo, Shelvey, Sam as a 4 man midfield.

Shelvey defensively is no worse than Racon and considerably better as an attacking force.
  • Cheers, Exiled.
    [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]I like both Bailey and Racon in their different ways but, for whatever reason, they've both rarely looked liked really stamping their authority on the midfield in 2010

Somebody posted recently that we've got several players who are each very good in parts but lacking in that something that would make them a complete player.

Bailey, all huff & puff, and gung-ho ........ goals, too - but his touch on the ball can be far too heavy at times.
    Racon has a delightful touch but a bit lightweight,and doesn't seem to have the drive to compliment his talent.
    If only we could combine the two!

Sam, good 1st touch, possession and trickery + allied to Reid's pace and directness = what a player!

But then we're in the Third Division - and these players play in this League for a reason.
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Thinking about Jonjo ..... and where to play him to get the best out of him, so just musing:

Back in the glorious Pardew era, the team had been entrenched in 5th place but were determined to finish 11th.
    We went to Barnsley, and 16 year old Jonjo made his debut.

Jonjo was picked alongside his old mentor Matty Holland at CM; Matty sat and held the position, allowing Jonjo freedom on the ball - and Jonjo produced some stunning stuff and pulled strings.

He did the same when we beat Coventry 4-1 in the next game.

Maybe Jonjo's now ready to take a CM role alongside Semedo, who will sit and hold the position in the same way as Matty did?

I know it creates another team selection situation especially with Racon and Bailey, but would allow us to play the desperately needed 2 up front. It's just food for thought.

I hear ya brother.

Racon hasn't done enough for me lately but Jonjo isn't going to do enough behind the front man. Colchester's defenders will need a physical challenge and Akpo is the man to do this. Forster can feed on scraps.

I'd play Jonjo as playmaker in with Semedo holding. Jonjo can handle Kemi Izzet and Semedo should have Prutton in his pocket

I'd also be inclined to play Bailey as a tight left midfielder so we are not overrun in the centre of the park. Lets face it though - Colchester don't tend to use the midfield too much.

With that in mind I'm not sure is Sam's form or defensive qualities are good enough at the moment to play as the only outlet so maybe Bailey as tight right and Kyel as the only recognised winger out on the left.

Hmm - decisions decisions huh!!
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Cheers, Exiled.
    [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]I like both Bailey and Racon in their different ways but, for whatever reason, they've both rarely looked liked really stamping their authority on the midfield in 2010

Somebody posted recently that we've got several players who are each very good in parts but lacking in that something that would make them a complete player.

Bailey, all huff & puff, and gung-ho ........ goals, too - but his touch on the ball can be far too heavy at times.
    Racon has a delightful touch but a bit lightweight,and doesn't seem to have the drive to compliment his talent.
    If only we could combine the two!

Sam, good 1st touch, possession and trickery + allied to Reid's pace and directness = what a player!

But then we're in the Third Division - and these players play in this League for a reason.

I've often mused this very same thing this season.

This division tends to have a lot of players who appear imo to be stealing a living. There are also a fair few that are genuinely just a small improvement to being very very good players.
    Some seem to have the aptitute to push themselves and others seem happy to plod along

Your analysis of Racon is spot on. He has superb feet and a good eye for a pass. His tackling can be excellent at times but his pace is not good enough and his fitness must be questioned imo
    Reid could be devastating with his pace, shooting power and tenacity but he lets himself down by being too greedy at times and not placing his shots - preferring to try to rip the net.
    Lloyd has everything a winger needs except confidence and a footballing brain. He certainly has the skill, pace and ability though.

Shelvey has superb touch, vision and technique but is not the quickest and is currently looking positionally deficient because he doesn't seem to know where to play.

It's a shame we are going to lose a lot of players this summer if we stay in this league but, I have to say the calibre of players Parky has brought in with his resources leave me confident that we are in pretty safe hands.
  • Leeds are away at Carlisle and could very easily lose that.
    Millwall go to Yeovil - dropping points not out the question
    Swindon home to Exeter tonight, will be watching in hope but i suspect 3 points for the home side.
    Huddersfield should win at home.

A massive, massive 3 points at stake here.
  • My team would be:
    Randolph
    Richardson, Dailly, Sodje, Boroowdale
    Sam, Bailey, Shelvey, Reid
    A.Sodje, Forster

Swap akpo if burton is fit. but of not would choose over mooney as 1) more of a physical pressence, 2) been doing ok coming on recently, 3) need someone to win headers and forster to play of
    Semedo not been playing bad but as always when at home i think we should do the attacking and not worry about other sides coming at us! this side i think would score quite a few goals, probably concede a couple too but i think we would score more then we concede

COME ON YOU REDSSSSSS!!!!!
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Somebody posted recently that we've got several players who are each very good in parts but lacking in that something that would make them a complete player.

That was me! Perhaps we should start a mutual appreciation society! ;-)
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]With that in mind I'm not sure is Sam's form or defensive qualities are good enough at the moment to play as the only outlet so maybe Bailey as tight right and Kyel as the only recognised winger out on the left.

Hmm - decisions decisions huh!!

Sam and Reid for me. Bit risky defensively maybe but, as Scoham says, I think we need to paly with width to stretch the game and make space for Jonjo to do his stuff in. I think we had a superior midfield to Saints on Saturday, in terms of technique, but it was so congested we couldn't really make that pay. Colchester will no doubt be in our faces at every opportunity so lets not make it any easier for them to get amoungst us.
  • Each game gets more important week by week. It's all about results, nothing else matters. Don't think many could complain about the Huddersfield, MK Don's or Carlisle points return. The Southampton result though just proves what we already knew, we are not good enough to genuinely challenge for the Top Two. Would like to beat this lot if only to repay the drubbing we got there earlier this season.
  • Against Colchester, I do think we need to make room for Jonjo ....... but not in the hole.

I'll stick my neck out, and make myself unpopular: maybe bench Reid, and have an extra playmaker in midfield.
    Bring on Reid after an hour as the game opens up.

Space and his pace in combination with tiring defenders, could be a masterstroke - the Waggy effect.
    In fact Reid himself was just this type of matchwinning sub away to Southend.
  • [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]Your analysis of Racon is spot on. He has superb feet and a good eye for a pass. His tackling can be excellent at times but his pace is not good enough and his fitness must be questioned imo
    I've never really seen Racon as having a good eye for a pass. Like Bailey he picks out some good passes now and then, but to me he's more about his quick feet making space for himself, which is something Bailey can't really do. Racon keeps his passing on the floor and usually short, usually very accurate, while Bailey will look for more 'Hollywood passes'. Jonjo can do the short accurate passing like Racon and the long range passes better than Bailey.

As for pace isn't Racon probably the quickest central midfielder? He has that bit of acceleration the other don't have which goes well with his quick feet. Of course he's not quick but none of our CMs really are.
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Shelvey defensively is no worse than Racon and considerably better as an attacking force.
    Perhaps not, but the difference is Racon is far more willing to hold his position, Jonjo does and needs to roam, find space and play with more freedom.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]The Southampton result though just proves what we already knew, we are not good enough to genuinely challenge for the Top Two.

You had to be at St Mary's though Ketters, to know the game could easily have gone either way.

Having said that, compared to the rest of the Division, we are more or less good enough - but need to grab a game by the scruff of the neck - and make it count.
  • Randolph

Richardson
    Dailly
    Sodje S
    Borrowdale

Sam
    Semedo
    Shelvey
    Bailey

Sodje A (I am assuming Burton still unfit)
    Forster

Subs:

Warner
    Solly
    Llera
    Racon
    Reid
    Wagstaff
    Mooney
  • Could be Borrowdale's last game tomorrow ..... unless we can borrowdale him again for the rest of the season.
  • edited April 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]You had to be at St Mary's though Ketters, to know the game could easily have gone either way.
    Definitely, and 4-4-2 from the start may have made that difference. Parky set up the team to keep it a tight and close game, hopefully nick a goal. Unfortunately once Southampton scored we needed 4-4-2 even more, it was much more of a flat 4-5-1 without Jonjo there and we struggled to attack.
  • won't playing Akpo from the start just encourage us to lump balls up front where their 2 giant centre halves will lap it up (and the crowd will immediately moan)...play Forster with Shelvey in the hole and lets pass it around them lumps. They basically have 2 huge blokes at the back and 2 up front and just smash the ball between them.

Keep Reid on the left and play Bailey on the right (sorry Sam), encouraging Richardson to overlap him at any opportunity. That keeps Racon and Semedo in the middle with Semedo doing the holding role.

Akpo for the last half hour if things aren't going our way (he looked excellent when he came on in the last game)
  • Maybe but there will always be some long balls and clearances, and they all come straight back at us without Akpo or Burton up there. I'd rather we grind out 1-0 wins with Akpo charging down defenders to win throw ins, it's about results at the moment. The crowd will always find something to moan about whoever plays (or doesn't).

We've got to try and play football on the floor but Saturday Akpo improved things simply because we had someone challenging for headers and making things hard for the defenders.
  • good to see no one is monopolising this thread
  • Randolph

Richardson
    Dailly
    Sodje S
    Borrowdale

Sam
    Semedo
    Shelvey
    Reid

Mooney
    Forster

Playing Mooney is controversial but he shows for the ball and encourages our midfield to play to feet.
  • [cite]Posted By: Elthamaddick[/cite]won't playing Akpo from the start just encourage us to lump balls up front where their 2 giant centre halves will lap it up (and the crowd will immediately moan)...play Forster with Shelvey in the hole and lets pass it around them lumps. They basically have 2 huge blokes at the back and 2 up front and just smash the ball between them.

Keep Reid on the left and play Bailey on the right (sorry Sam), encouraging Richardson to overlap him at any opportunity. That keeps Racon and Semedo in the middle with Semedo doing the holding role.

Akpo for the last half hour if things aren't going our way (he looked excellent when he came on in the last game)

I wholeheartedly agree we should play to feet rather than "lump" it.

However, as you say, Colchester are physically big and even the likes of Lisbie, although not big, can jump and compete in the air.

We are a small team so perhaps need Akpo's physical presence to prevent us being done at set pieces.
  • Agree Len, we need to try very hard to guard against getting dragged down to Colchester's level of long ball football, but we also need some big strong players on the pitch to help combat their style as best we can. Their hustle and bustle style will also mean there will be a few hurried clearances by our back 4, so playing to feet won't always be an option, although we should be looking to do it as much as possible, regardless of who pays up front.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Randolph

Richardson
    Dailly
    Sodje S
    Borrowdale

Sam
    Semedo
    Shelvey
    Bailey

Sodje A (I am assuming Burton still unfit)
    Forster

Subs:

Warner
    Solly
    Llera
    Racon
    Reid
    Wagstaff
    Mooney

I'd be happy to start with that team and maybe bring Reid on for the last half hour if we are still chasing the game. I think JJ showed on Saturday that he brings the ability to open up teams on his day and was very unlucky with a decision with a ball putting Akpo clean through. This is a game we simply have to win and I think we need to take the game to them rather than sit tight and hope to hit them on the break with two wingers both with a 'mixed' end product shall we say.
  • Still think Reid has to start. When he plays well. we look far more dangerous. He didnt play particularly well on saturday but he was still our biggest threat in possesion.
  • [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]Still think Reid has to start. When he plays well. we look far more dangerous. He didnt play particularly well on saturday but he was still our biggest threat in possesion.

I haven't seen as much of Reid as Sam and there's a fag paper between them for me at the moment as neither seem to be consistantly producing the goods. Either way if we are fitting JJ into the team, and I think we must now, it's one of them that makes way.
  • Reid has been miles better than Sam since he's joined.
  • Start with Sam right, Shelvey leftish, bring Reid on far Sam after an hour and move Shelvey right?
  • Dont see why all three cant play. Wouldnt start Akpo. I actually thought Forster worked the frontline well at the weekend. Plus it would encourage us to use our wide players more, rather than having Akpo up front, meaning we would simply lump it. Plus Akpo is pony imo.
  • [cite]Posted By: aliwibble[/cite]Start with Sam right, Shelvey leftish, bring Reid on far Sam after an hour and move Shelvey right?

dis-agree completely, has he even played rm at all? so no point playing him out of position again, reid could be good impact player imo but on the left where his game is better suited. haven't seen him have a good game at RM yet, so if anyone to come on as Sam is in-effective as has been of late then would be waggy fogr me
  • A no bottle performance, 0-1 to Colchester
  • As much as I hate Pardew, I though that he made some very pertinent pre match comments, saying that Parky's teams tend to play very conservatively.
    I really think that some of our players have far more to offer than they have been allowed to show, and it's time now for Parky to loosen the shackles and let them play good open passing football.
    Why has Semedo not had a run through on goal since Tranmere away? Why has Sam not got through on goal far more often in the way he was earlier in the season?
    How can Millwall find it so easy to score goals, when, player for player, they are no better than us? It has to be down to restrictive tactics.
    I'd love to see Shelvey in a 442 as Oggy suggested. We need some vision and passing ability in there. But we also need strength, so I'd go for Akpo alongside Forster.
    We have to really step up a gear now and to do that Parky needs to be brave and change his approach.
  • I think at times we're so worried about losing that the team won't push and commit people forward.
    It's not until the other team has scored that we realise we need to go forward and get something.