Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton vs. Colchester - Just a poll today, you do your own previews!

WSSWSS
edited April 2010 in General Charlton
A win would more or less confirm our play off place, a defeat would make it squeaky bum time.

How would your team line up? Would Jonjo come back in the fold? Would you move to two up front?

Easy 2-0 win for me...

Comments

• haha someones not happy ' do your own previews!!' lol dont blame you

Well win 2-1 to all but seal a play off spot
    Goals from Bailey & Forster
  • Win to get a play off place!

And hopefully other results go our way!
  • A narrow nervy win against our bogey side, 2-1 (Lisbie for them)

Leeds win at Carlisle and Millwall win at Yeovil. Saturday is when we narrow the gap.
  • a draw to leave us with zero chance of going up automatically and a very small chance of missing the play offs ... it's the charlton way !

elliot back in for randolph if he's fit
  • I think automatic is now gone and this is basically a play off preliminary round. Win tomorrow and the play offs are almost guaranteed. Lose, and with Norwich to come on saturday, we could be in a bit of trouble.
    2-1 to us.
  • edited April 2010
    Couldn't make it on Saturday, just hope we can build on what sounded like an improved performance despite the result.

A strong defensive display is the most important ingrediant, how we deal with their pace, power and direct play as that is where we come unstuck at theirs earlier in the season.

More than anything though, i'm looking for some spark and some form to come from up front. If we are either going to have a charge at the last few games, or go into the play-offs with some belief, we need to have at least one attacking player on form and scoring goals.

My fear is a draw though
  • From afar, reading reviews of matches, it appears we either play well and lose, play badly and lose or play badly and sneak a win. Has there been a good performance when we won since the Brentford game?
  • Colchester are one of those teams I can't see us beating for some reason, so I'm not confident.

Even if Burton's back I wouldn't risk starting him, so Akpo and Forster up front for me. Want to see Jonjo in there somewhere but not sure how to fit him in. Guess we could play him or Bailey on the right, not like Sam is playing well anyway. We to play with two strikers, only Burton can play on his own and it'll help the rest of the team get forward.
  • If we can rediscover our passing game we'll win.
  • Think if we play like we did saturday then we should win. 2-0 us.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]elliot back in for randolph if he's fit

You are a WUM, Ooh Aah.
    We know you don't rate Rob Elliot at all! ;o)

For the record, Randolph had a decent game at Southampton.
    Looked pretty competent.
  • try to contain colchester and maybe grind out a nil nil and eek ever closer to the play offs. if colchester do manage to score then our plans are in complete tatters and we'll just have to hope that the crowd are all thinking positive thoughts and some sort of divine intervention will happen for us.
  • I think it is about time we gave someone a spanking and Colchester's current indifferent form means they could be on the receiving end.

They are strong and physical - something we don't tend to cope too well with, but provided we don't get drawn into a long ball battle (which we would lose) I think we should win this if we stick to playing good football. the pitch should facilitate that and we certainly have the players who owe us a performance or two.

The final push starts here!

Prediction

2-0
  • [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]I think it is about time we gave someone a spanking and Colchester's current indifferent form means they could be on the receiving end.

After smashing Swindon 3-0 it looks like they may be over their indifferent form.
  • [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]Even if Burton's back I wouldn't risk starting him, so Akpo and Forster up front for me. Want to see Jonjo in there somewhere but not sure how to fit him in. Guess we could play him or Bailey on the right, not like Sam is playing well anyway. We to play with two strikers, only Burton can play on his own and it'll help the rest of the team get forward.

I'd also start with Akpo and Forster in tandem.

And as Colchester are physical, we could do with Akpo's height and strength dropping back to help defend corners conceded.

Jonjo put in a very useful cameo for 15 mins at Southampton; composed, good vision and passing - could have made a big impact if he was on longer. But he played more or less left side, drifting inside a little.
    As Scoham says, where to fit him in?

Bailey was all huff and puff, and desperately needed to put his foot on the ball at times.
    But he was also everywhere chasing the ball, and not holding the 'in the hole' position.

Yet he still came up with several goal bound efforts, but mainly from set pieces or when Southampton were defending under pressure - he'd do that anyway, whichever position he was playing - and not from quick break, cut and thrust creative play.

IMO, we lacked that little bit of nous and vision to link up Forster, who is superb receiving ball to feet under pressure situations. Mooney can do that at times, but I reckon Jonjo still forms the best option as our attacking CM, in that creative role pulling the strings.

We are so much a better team when we play the ball on the floor, as long as we don't overcook the passing game and get squeezed into tight spaces. We have the players, so why don't we play it?
  • 1st goal will be crucial in this one. My feeling is whoever gets it wins. Not predicting who though.
  • edited April 2010
    Is this the time to start Jonjo in the middle in a 4-4-2? Might be worth a try. Semedo and Racon have both been playing pretty well in recent weeks but we lack the range of passing that will open teams up and this is a bit of a must win game so maybe know is the time to take the gamble.

4-4-2

Randolph
    Richo
    Smodje
    Dailly
    Borrowdale
    Sam
    Semedo
    Jonjo
    Reid
    Akpodje
    Forster
  • 3-0

[align=center]RANDOLPH
    RICHARDSON DAILLY SODJE BORROWDALE
    BAILEY RACON SEMEDO REID
    SHELVEY
    FORSTER[/align]
  • I'd agree there Choice.
  • Is Burton fit or anywhere near being fit?

If he can start I'd see him and Forster up front.
  • Sponsored links:

• Thinking about Jonjo ..... and where to play him to get the best out of him, so just musing:

Back in the glorious Pardew era, the team had been entrenched in 5th place but were determined to finish 11th.
    We went to Barnsley, and 16 year old Jonjo made his debut.

Jonjo was picked alongside his old mentor Matty Holland at CM; Matty sat and held the position, allowing Jonjo freedom on the ball - and Jonjo produced some stunning stuff and pulled strings.

He did the same when we beat Coventry 4-1 in the next game.

Maybe Jonjo's now ready to take a CM role alongside Semedo, who will sit and hold the position in the same way as Matty did?

I know it creates another team selection situation especially with Racon and Bailey, but would allow us to play the desperately needed 2 up front. It's just food for thought.
  • [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]Is this the time to start Jonjo in the middle in a 4-4-2? Might be worth a try. Semedo and Racon have both been playing pretty well in recent weeks but we lack the range of passing that will open teams up and this is a bit of a must win game so maybe know is the time to take the gamble.

Since I started writing my previous post, you've beaten me to it - and said much the same thing!
  • Agree with Choice on the team, 2-1 Charlton Forster and Bailey ... both assists from Jonjo
  • I'd be tempted, perhaps with Bailey on the right to help defensively, Sam does defend well enough but Bailey is more "solid" in that way. But then with Jonjo's passing you probably want some width.

Eventually Shelvey will surely step up and play regularly in CM, had hoped it would be this season. Not sure Parky feels comfortable playing him there though.
  • I know a lot of people are desperate to drop Sam, but he does offer himself as a vital outlet when the defence is under pressure - rarely gives the ball away cheaply and enables the team to retain possession.

Maybe that's a key reason why he's in the team?

I know it's infuriating that he's not more aggressive and doesn't play a penetrating game, but he's still often double marked, draws defenders to him thus creating space that team mates should exploit

And with Reid running direct on the other flank, it does give us options. Or if we must continue with 4-5-1, should Reid run the inside left channel as a quasi-striker - in the same dangerous and effective role that Jason Puncheon played on Saturday for Southampton?
  • Lisbie is bound to score for them unless my Baldrick like cunning plan works.

I will be backing him as first scorer thereby hopefully offsetting his malign influence on our prospects with my usual lack of betting ability!

Shelvey has to play. I'd drop Racon.

We need a win to retain any hope of automatic. A win should also seal a play-off place I reckon.

If they are up for it they can beat anyone in this division. The problem is the flaky mental attitude displayed at Northwich and Millwall.

I'm going for a draw.
  • [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]Agree with Choice on the team, 2-1 Charlton Forster and Bailey ... both assists from Jonjo
    Really don't feel we can carry on with Forster on his own, even with Jonjo there. Against Carisle and Southampton their defenders won almost everything in the air and that led to them starting attacks. It just puts us under so much pressure. Akpo will frustate our own fans but he'd end up winning balls and throw ins that would otherwise be possession to the other team.
  • edited April 2010
    Great minds think a-like Oggy. I like both Bailey and Racon in their different ways but, for whatever reason, they've both rarely looked liked really stamping their authority on the midfield in 2010 and we're at the stage now where we need to find a way to win these tight games, and our tough run-in would suggest all the games will be tight. We've brought Forster in to improve our chances of taking that one golden goalscoring chance but we're struggling to produce that one clear chance and Jonjo represents our best chance of picking that killer pass out.

I think Jonjo still has masses to learn and playing him in that key central midfield role will be a gamble because it'll definitely weaken us defensively, but we're at home in a key key match at the business end of the season so I think now might be the time to throw off the shackles a bit and sacrafice a bit of solidity for a bit of creativity. I think Parky's done well to steer us into this position by making us relatively tough to beat, we're still in the game with 15 minutes to go, lets go for the win now and not die wondering.
  • Agreed, Scoham. Ideally, I'd play Burton and Forster in tandem, decent combination of touch, guile and strength from both players. But while Burton is out (and with his knee ligament injury should not be rushed back), then Akpo must play alongside Forster.

Akpo hasn't got the touch or vision to play the lone striker role effectively - but he is a handful physically for defences, and will draw the big lump defenders to him. Forster can then thrive on the knockdowns and loose balls - our 'fox in the box'.

I do admire the way Forster collects the ball on the floor under pressure, turns and creates space for himself and others;
    reminds me a little of Clive Mendonca.

Forster might be 36, but has scored goals at a higher level and plays with touch and awareness - you can see why he's already scored 17 goals this season.

But we must play to his strengths.
  • Definitely Forster to start with a partner in a 4-4-2. My Choice would be Akpo because I think we need a presence alongside Forster to enable him to work at his best. Jonjo on bench for me in this one.