Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Southampton vs. Charlton (10/4/10) - Poll, Teams, News & Views

Comments

• Same eleven, with a 2-2 draw. Another frustrating weekend where we could've gained as the others around us also slip up.
  • we lose in a tight game.... millwall and leeds win colchester beat swindon and we go into tuesdays fixture bricking it
  • Has Randolph improved on his catching since his game against us a couple seasons ago? :P

Bad news for us, but good news for Charlton is that Radhi Jaidi looks like he will miss out on this game.

Suspect Saints will line up like:

Davis
    Otsemobor - Fonte - Seabourne - Harding
    Puncheon - Schneiderlin - Hammond - Lallana
    Lambert - Barnard

Should be a good game, one I'm looking forward too - Hopefully a decent atmosphere at St Marys.

The battle between Bailey and Hammond looks like it could be a good one - Along with Lambert vs Sodje and Fonte vs Forster.

Not sure about the score, could go either way. Saints will need to up their game from the performance against Orient or it could be a long day.
  • Saints Fan how well are you guys playing at the momernt
  • edited April 2010
    I don't reckon Bailey will be starting.
  • [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]Saints Fan how well are you guys playing at the momernt
    Not fantastic tbh, but we've been winning.

We played well in the JPT final, but before that we had two very below average performances MK Dons and Hartlepool.
  • Looking at Saints fans team, they have a very impressive attacking force. However, their defence doesnt look that great and i think Reid could play a very big part for us against Ostemobor.
  • Charlton to win a nail-biter 2-1. Goals from Sam and Mooney
    I would start: Randolph, Richardson, S. Sodje, Dailley, Borrowdale, Sam, Semedo, Racon, Bailey, Reid, Mooney
  • Weve won 5 of our last 9 games so why cant we go down there and get a result. Charlton to win 1-0
  • Think we need to start Forster. His experience could be crucial in a game like this. Bring our most dangerous players, Reid & Sam into play.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite] Dazzler21

1-0 win fact [/cite]

I see I've trained you well, young man!

;o)
  • Going for a defeat purelyon the basis that I always predict the wrong result.
  • As said elsewhere & as everyone knows, their attack is top notch, but not the defence. So I think we need to take the game to them. This is not a game for sitting back and defending IMO.
  • [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]As said elsewhere & as everyone knows, their attack is top notch, but not the defence. So I think we need to take the game to them. This is not a game for sitting back and defending IMO.

Completely agree, we need them to be defending us not us defending them. Go out and attack Pardew wont expect it he'll think parky will set out to defend
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Dazzler21

1-0 win fact[/cite]

I see I've trained you well, young man!

;o)

who for tho?
  • Careful - Southampton get better results away than at home, according to Saints Fan on here.

If we force them to play their "away game style", we might be vulnerable and liable to get caught on the break.

Clog the midfield, 4-5-1 and catch them on the break. For this game, way to go!
  • Afternoon all, new to this, but enjoyed reading your comments over the last few months. I was invited to St Mary's a few weeks back when they played Leeds. Not the greatest game i have seen, Leeds were poor, i mean really really poor and did not have one shot on target all match. Beckford had a shocker. However, apart from one or two chances Southampton weren't up to much either. They relied on playing the ball up to Lambert, who then brings other players into play. Their biggest strength imo was their midfield. If you can get players in amongst them and win the second ball, this game is there to be won. Their defence is OK at this level, but hard to judge as Leeds did not put them under preasure. I'm going for a narrow 2-1 win, set pieces could be key.
  • Agree with Oggs, same team as Monday for me. 4-5-1 and look to stifle the midfeild and play on the counter.
  • CHGCHG
    edited April 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]Agree with Oggs, same team as Monday for me. 4-5-1 and look to stifle the midfeild and play on the counter.

I agree with this, same team, get some momentum, Shelvey scored a good goal down there last season and played well, more of the same please.
  • CAFC twitter: Just editing an Alan Pardew video interview for CAFC Player - he's calling the current Addicks team 'conservative'...
  • Sponsored links:

• I hate him so much. Love to land one right on his massive snozzer.
  • tedious 0 - 0 draw
  • I'll go for a draw, similar tactics to the last 2 away games
  • i can see us starting off being really up for it, taking the game to them and snatching a goal. then we'll probably sit back, then they'll equalise. then desperate defending until the final whistle - 1-1
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Careful - Southampton get better results away than at home, according to Saints Fan on here.

If we force them to play their "away game style", we might be vulnerable and liable to get caught on the break.

9 Southampton 39 12 4 3 41 18 6 9 5 30 23 30 57

You may be right Oggy, but their results are definitely better at home.
  • [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]CAFC twitter: Just editing an Alan Pardew video interview for CAFC Player - he's calling the current Addicks team 'conservative'...

Conservatively higher in the table.

I want to win this soooooooo much. I'd temporarily forgotten about the Pardew factor but that comment has reminded me just how much I hate that man. Of course 'his teams always play attacking football' don't they? We've all seen what an awesome site a Pardew team is in full flight... right???

Because of that man alone this fixture means way more to me than the Millwall matches.

I wasn't going but I'm seriously tempted - anyone know if tickets will be available on the day?
  • They will be mate, without doubt. We've only shifted about 1200-1400.
  • [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]They will be mate, without doubt. We've only shifted about 1200-1400.
    Yeah should be plenty on the day.
    Southampton (a) - Saturday, April 10th (3pm)
    Tickets are no longer available from The Valley for Charlton's trip to St Mary's on Saturday, April 10th (3pm), but will be on sale from Southampton's ground on the day.

Charlton were allocated 2,245 tickets, priced £22 adults, £17 over 60s and U22s, £10 U17s and £5 U13s. Over 1,100 had been sold by the end of Thursday.
    http://tickets.cafc.co.uk/ticketslatest.ink
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Careful - Southampton get better results away than at home, according to Saints Fan on here.

Did I ever say that? If I did I didn't mean it as our away form has been pretty poor.

[cite]Posted By: ElmerAddick[/cite]Afternoon all, new to this, but enjoyed reading your comments over the last few months. I was invited to St Mary's a few weeks back when they played Leeds. Not the greatest game i have seen, Leeds were poor, i mean really really poor and did not have one shot on target all match. Beckford had a shocker. However, apart from one or two chances Southampton weren't up to much either. They relied on playing the ball up to Lambert, who then brings other players into play. Their biggest strength imo was their midfield. If you can get players in amongst them and win the second ball, this game is there to be won. Their defence is OK at this level, but hard to judge as Leeds did not put them under preasure. I'm going for a narrow 2-1 win, set pieces could be key.

I thought we were pretty good that game, never really needed to get going as our game plan worked and didn't allow Leeds to play. Could have been 3 or 4 on another day. Beckford didn't get a sniff in, just dived and moaned and seemed to get very annoyed by Jaidi.

I'm just not sure what Southampton side we will see, we've gone from 5-0/5-1 wins against Huddersfield/Walsall to narrow 2-1/3-2 wins over the likes of Orient/Hartlepool.
  • I'm probably being a bit harsh on you, as you nullified Leeds pretty easily, so credit where credits due. I just thought that when going forward you could have made more of your possession. Against a better performing team, you could have paid the price for not getting that second goal.