Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Southampton vs. Charlton (10/4/10) - Poll, Teams, News & Views

WSSWSS
edited April 2010 in General Charlton
This is the game that will decide whether it’s playoffs (hopefully) or whether we can maintain a run for 2nd spot until the end of the season. Well it could be.

On paper, we have the most difficult run-in with games against 3 of the current Top 7 to go but the benefit of that means staying above Colchester and getting above Leeds is still in our own hands. Dropping points down at St Marys could however mean that we would have to overhaul three teams over the remaining games – maybe a bridge too far?

Again, on paper, Southampton have a very good team which has been shown in Pardewesque glimpses over the course of the season – they are however also experiencing the Pardewesque inconsistencies that we are all far too aware of. Although sitting pretty in third in the current form table, they are a lowly eighth (check out AFKA’s stat bank) in the home form table – somewhat surprising I think.

I think we will approach the game in the same way that we approached both Huddersfield and MK Dons and I would like to think we can possibly maybe nick a win. The team at the moment picks itself and I can’t see many changes from the Carlisle game. The only change that I could possibly see is Bailey coming in for one of Reid or Sam although I hope not. I’d stick with him on the bench…

If we play the ball to feet to Jonjo and Forster up top and they get well supported by the two wingers and maybe even Racon from the midfield I think we can get something from the game, maybe even all three points.

Not too confident though, and will predict a 2-0 loss combined with all other results going against us. Bring on May 29th…

League Table

ltapr7.png

Fixtures to keep an eye on

Brentford v Huddersfield
Colchester v Swindon
Leeds United v Southend
Millwall v Gillingham
Norwich v MK Dons

Comments

• 1-1 draw or we could nick this, we seem to raise our games against the better teams(millwall not included)

I would start:
    Randy Randolph,
    Richardson, Dailly, Sodge, Borrowdale
    Sam, Semedo, Shelvey, Reid
    Mooney(burton if fit??), Forster

Lets go to them and be positive, racon was not good enough imo monday and think we should give shelvey a CM role and maybe bring bailey on if not working

Come on you Reds!!!!
  • Not confident as Pardew always seems to get the most out of his players against his former clubs. That said, it should be a more open game than Monday so our attacking players should get a bit more space.
  • If we can frustrate them and stay defensively sound for the first 60 mins then i cant see why we cant go and nick a winner. Concede early and i think it could be another 4-0 drubbing.
  • We've had some decent results there over the past few seasons in the league there.

Can't make this one, would probably take a point as on paper it's probably going to be our hardest game.

At least we have a nice little gap between us and Colchester so we will at least have two shots of promotion 2nd or the play offs
  • Score draw for me.

Would easily be our win of the season if we can pull it off.
  • [cite]Posted By: JT[/cite]Would easily be our win of the season if we can pull it off.

Yep, I think to get an automatic place you need a real landmark win, a moment when you go "we could really do this". A win on Saturday would be that moment for us.
  • I can just imagine the pre-match conversation between Parky and Pardew going a little something like this:

Parky: "I've been waiting for you, Pardew. We meet again, at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you, I was but the learner; now I am the master."
  • As Jt said this would be our best performance of the season if we got a win away at the Saints. Unfortunately can't see us doing it. I think we will lose by a couple of goals and will then have to beat Colchester to confirm our playoff place.

Removing the race for automatic promotion from the picture and an away draw would be a good result. If the lads do that then they deserve plaudits whatever happens in the playoff picture.

I know i sound negative about our prospects in this game. It isn't a judgement on the team I simply think to many things work against us. For a start they are managed by Pardew. Don't think he's a good manager but I do think it's sods law that he ends our hopes of automatic promotion. Then take into account that they are the money team of the division and are playing at home. We have won two games one nil and I expect we will play this way again. The law of averages tells us that eventually we will be on the wrong end of this scoreline.

That said I really hope we win and we are in the best shape and form to do so than at any point this season. We have stabilized the defence and central midfield. Our wingers have a clear understanding of their jobs and we have a striker born to score goals. Shelvey, Bailey and A Sodje could also be effective coming from off the bench.
  • The official site's view, which seems to concentrate more on Pardew's time with us rather than anything else!

http://www.cafc.co.uk/newsview.ink?nid=35917
  • [cite]Posted By: Red5[/cite]I can just imagine the pre-match conversation between Parky and Pardew going a little something like this:

Parky: "I've been waiting for you, Pardew. We meet again, at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you, I was but the learner; now I am the master."

Or possibly: 'Your powers are weak, old man."

Oh dear, what a nerd I sound...
  • Sponsored links:

• Bailey and JJ to start
    0-4
    COYR!
  • Don`t share the blind optimism shown by about 39% of you I`m afraid. I still don`t think PP knows his strongest team and even if he does I think Charlton are performing below what is required. Southampton win.
  • [cite]Posted By: thenewbie[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Red5[/cite]I can just imagine the pre-match conversation between Parky and Pardew going a little something like this:

Or possibly: 'Your powers are weak, old man."

Oh dear, what a nerd I sound...

Or.... (Pardew to Parky)

"Everything that has transpired has done so according to my design. Your players, out there on the pitch, are walking into a trap, as are your supporters. It was I who allowed your scouts to know the formations of my teams. We are quite safe from your pitiful little band. An entire legion of my best players awaits them. Oh, I'm afraid the scoreline will be quite embarrassing by the time your substitutes arrive".

Dear, dear, it would seem you are nowhere near as big a NERD as me, padawan!
  • [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]Not confident as Pardew always seems to get the most out of his players against his former clubs. That said, it should be a more open game than Monday so our attacking players should get a bit more space.

Monday we had loadsa space? your right this will be an open game so should suit us
  • I still feel there will be twists and turns and think we could still just about afford losing one more game and making the top 2.

A narrow defeat.

Leeds will be Sarfend, Col U and Swindon draw, Millwall win

I still think if we win our home games we will be top 2 as we will get some points at Oldham and Exeter.
  • We will bottle it because of the "Pardew factor."
  • cant see anything other than a home win
  • 1-1 would be a good result. Southampton will be well up for this. Real test for our defence with their forward power. Can't see a cleansheet somehow!

Bailey has got to start particularly to help cover at the back.
  • spot on Len, I'll be amazed if we get anything from this
  • I went for a win, but I'll take a draw.
  • Sponsored links:

• I don't think a defeat will be the end of our automatic chances but it won't help. If Leeds win then we need at least a draw to keep catching them in our own hands. This season still has a few twists and turns yet to come. With our play-off place practically guaranteed we must surely now be in a position to go for it. If we are drawing with twenty minutes to go I'd want to see us gamble to get the three points. We need to have more than one shot on target if we hope to get anything from this game. My heart says a draw, my head says a defeat.
  • Dailly and Sodje have done well so far together, have to wonder how well they'll match Southhampton's strikers though. Midfield may well be the key, boss that and starve sevice to the forwards and try and scrape a winner. Don't think this is going to be a thriller, 1-1 or 2-1 to one side, not sure which yet!
  • 1-0 win fact
  • edited April 2010
    Think we should aim for the draw and try and snatch it on the break. Would definately go with a 4-4-1-1 as I think it could work well with a bit more practice...and I think JJ is due a few goals - he definately needs to get some games under his belt.

My team would be

Randolph,
    Richardson, Dailly, Sodje, Borrowdale
    Sam, Semedo, Bailey, Reid
    Shelvey
    Mooney (would link up better with Shelvey IMO)

Bench: Warner, Fry, Llera, Racon, Wagstaff, Forster, A Sodje
  • edited April 2010
    I like it BUT you have 6 loanees (Borrowdale, Reid, Mooney, Fry, Forster, A Sodje) in your 18 and we are only allowed 5.
  • edited April 2010
    ;o)EDIT:
    Comment re-tracted for legal reasons.
  • No, he was a free agent.
  • edited April 2010
    i think 4-4-1-1 is a good decision and i'd have the following

Starting

Randolph

Richardson
    Dailly
    S.Sodje
    Borrowdale

Sam
    Semedo
    Bailey
    Reid

Shelvey

Forster

Bench
    Warner
    Solly
    Llera
    Racon
    Wagstaff
    A.Sodje
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]No, he was a free agent.
    so he was! comment retracted
  • I still think we are 1 Bad result away from our season completely imploding, but strangely enough don't think this will be the one. Fancy a draw & ending Southampton's Play off hopes once & for all.