Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Who is to blame for the Addicks' plight?

Comments

• edited March 2010
    the guy who introduces the team line ups on the pitch: "come on you need to get behind the team - make some noise"

oh and er the board for consistently bad management of management!
  • poor newsshopper! and us, makes it look like no one has any interest on there where it all went so woefully wrong!!
  • I put the blame on the takeover that never happened. We were inches from being an official buyout from the DuBai Investors Group and then when that fell though, so did our football. Since that takeover deal fell through with Dubai Investors, everything else has hit the f'n fan...
  • Matt 'the albatross' Holland
  • has andrew mills been mentioned yet?
  • errrrr have you seen the news shopper website manager comment underneath... surely made to start a ruck..

"They have gone from being the biggest to only the third biggest club in the area, which is a humiliation.
    Maybe Charlton and Palace should consider merging. Two rotten clubs going down the pan might just make one half-decent club in the future."
  • Entirely the fault of Alan Curbishley and absolutely nothing at all to do with Iain Dowie, Alan Pardew or Richard Murray and his Board.

Absolutely disgraceful of Curbishley antagonising the fans by acquiring uncharismatic players like Kishishev so that they had to phone Talksport and 606 moaning about the boring mid table Premership football we had to suffer for all those seasons.

It's far more enjoyable and exciting losing at home to Orient and Brighton and getting stuffed at Millwall.

Curbishley was a real curse to the Club!
  • edited March 2010
    [cite]Posted By: johnnybev1987[/cite]Curbishley! done well for us but left us with loads of dead wood imo long story, dont hate him though as what he done for the club, just 2 years too long for me

probably the only one here though

No you are in the majority. 606, Talksport and netaddicks overflowed with disgruntled fans calling for Curbishley's head.

It wasn't Richard Murray who decided that he did not want Curbishley to see the last year of his contract out either thus not giving him an opportunity to do something about "the deadwood" the majority of fans claimed he left.
  • Has to be the board, they appointed the duff managers and signed the cheques for the duff players. The buck stops...

It's a paradox though, because they saved the club and they have collectively hurled pots of cash into it.
  • Us the fans.

Obviously.
  • Sponsored links:

• Parker went, that game v Chelsea may have been the high water mark but that wasn't what caused the decline. Curbs was also always going to leave at some point. It was always going to be when we were going to be most vulnerable and couldn't cope.

So

3. Under performing and uncaring players

2. The Board allowing Dowie to spend so much of the following season's budget and then repeating that with Pardew.

1. Iain Dowie

[cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]the charlton fans who weren't satisfied with the levels of excitement they received in the premiership and the apologists who thought the championship would be a great journey (clown shoes)

You know, I agreed with that at the time both before and after Curbs left. No it wasn't always exciting but we stayed up. If only we could have had a decent cup run or two. And when people were saying how much fun the championship would be I said "only if we go straight back up" but I haven't been going on and on and on about it every week since.
  • [cite]Posted By: ken from bexley[/cite]Agreed, So Murray then Scoham as the Chairman...... 'The buck stop's here' does come to mind, however ungrateful that might appear and sound to be I think he should fall on the his sword, which let's admit it is quite apt with our badge.....
    Surely he didn't make all the decisions on his own though? Might have made many final decisions, but it's not like he appointed Dowie/Reed while the rest of the board disagreed.
  • Parker. End of. Could have been us last night against Juve. Still, so long as his missus has been kept in louis vitton sandles i can forgive him......NOT! & dont be giving me the, 'if someone offered you more money' mullarky, it doesnt wash!
  • I dunno what you are going on about.

Without the amazing efforts of Curbs, Dowie, Reed, Pardoo & Parky we'd never seen the unique talents of Akpo, Mooney and the undescribable Llera.
  • LenGlover - how can you say Curbs is the downfall? He was manager for over 2 decades for our club. he was a joint manager with Gritty back in the day and he was making peanuts, but he was always the first one at the training ground and last to leave the training ground (this is when he was player/manager). Curbs took us to heights that Charlton had never seen before in the Premership. Towards the end of this managerial career with us, he did sign some crap players but nothing compares to the success he brought us. get a clue mate!
  • [cite]Posted By: addick16[/cite]LenGlover - how can you say Curbs is the downfall? He was manager for over 2 decades for our club. he was a joint manager with Gritty back in the day and he was making peanuts, but he was always the first one at the training ground and last to leave the training ground (this is when he was player/manager). Curbs took us to heights that Charlton had never seen before in the Premership. Towards the end of this managerial career with us, he did sign some crap players but nothing compares to the success he brought us. get a clue mate!
    You might want to read it again, the comment about losing at home to Orient and Brighton makes it obvious he wasn't being serious...
  • [cite]Posted By: addick16[/cite]LenGlover - how can you say Curbs is the downfall? He was manager for over 2 decades for our club. he was a joint manager with Gritty back in the day and he was making peanuts, but he was always the first one at the training ground and last to leave the training ground (this is when he was player/manager). Curbs took us to heights that Charlton had never seen before in the Premership. Towards the end of this managerial career with us, he did sign some crap players but nothing compares to the success he brought us. get a clue mate!

Whooooooooooosh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
  • my bad- i actually thought you were dissin on Curbs. the sarcasm is soo damn strong that it went straight over the top of my thick skull. sorry lenglover.

honestly - our results went to shit when the suspected takeover from Dubai group fell through. look at the timelne.
  • A debate that could go in circles for years! The amount of times this subject has been analised on here, every other site & newspaper is unbelievable. Newshopper obviously have a slow news day to dredge this ol' crap back up.

To Charltonkeston:

Why did we punch above our weight? We became a decent, mid-level top flight club & rightfully deserved to, until we deserved not to.
    Its not like our Premier League years were our only dalliance with the top flight, & 'plucky li'l Charlton' had to make the most of their years in the sun.
    Irrespective of league position, I consider us, historically speaking, to be bigger than the likes of Wigan, Hull, Fulham, etc. Not that that does us a great deal of good now. But still annoying to hear thoughts that we are 'back at our level', or very close to our 'natural one'.
  • [cite]Posted By: addick16[/cite]my bad- i actually thought you were dissin on Curbs. the sarcasm is soo damn strong that it went straight over the top of my thick skull. sorry lenglover.

honestly - our results went to shit when the suspected takeover from Dubai group fell through. look at the timelne.

No problem!
  • Sponsored links:

• that crap squad curbs left us with got 47 points and a point per game from the last 10 and got to the 1/4 of the fa cup(is that a cup run) with curbs as manager ... FACTS not an opinion just FACTS ...
  • Do you still have your foam hand from those good ole days?
  • I blame Charlton Life.
  • [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]that crap squad curbs left us with got 47 points and a point per game from the last 10 and got to the 1/4 of the fa cup(is that a cup run) with curbs as manager ... FACTS not an opinion just FACTS ...
    Well by the time he left Murphy and Smertin had gone, the midfield we were left with was the likes of Ambrose, Thomas, Holland, Kishishev and Hughes, hardly impressive at Premier League level. Up front we had nothing apart from Darren Bent. Was a squad that needed strengthening and unfortunately Dowie got it wrong apart from Reid and Carson (who although player of the year, arguably was not much better than what we had).
  • Gary Borrowdale is entirely to blame
  • What Uncle said
  • [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]that crap squad curbs left us with got 47 points and a point per game from the last 10 and got to the 1/4 of the fa cup(is that a cup run) with curbs as manager ... FACTS not an opinion just FACTS ...

For a premier league club our cup record in both cups was poor IMHO and yes I did expect or at least hope for more. It's not as if the draws we got were unhelpful.

But Curbs was a great manager for us (I said so then and defended him against the minority of Charlton fans who wanted him gone) and his will be the benchmark that all subsequent Charlton managers and teams will be judged against. (Jimmy South Stand's achievements were greater but in black and white so don't seem to count to many).

But in the same way the Murray lead board's achievements (the ground, the 8 years in the prem, the sense of progress year on year, the "well run club") will also be the benchmark against which all future boards will be judged.

The irony, which will not be lost on Richard or any other other board members, is that it is those standards which the current board and team are nowhere near achieving which make our current position even more painful.

They say that to have loved and lost is better to have never loved at all but right now it hurts.

But then again, we are still third : - )
  • edited March 2010
    I agree with Stefco's analysis tbh.
    Too many bad decisions to close together have taken our once stable club to the brink. Its no one thing-more a succession creating a domino effect. Returning to the Championship would lift the morale tremendously so with 10 to go the message to our players is very very clear (or it should be!)
  • <--- Him no Him ---> no me or you
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: addick16[/cite]my bad- i actually thought you were dissin on Curbs. the sarcasm is soo damn strong that it went straight over the top of my thick skull. sorry lenglover.

honestly - our results went to shit when the suspected takeover from Dubai group fell through. look at the timelne.[/quote]

No problem![/quote]

Couldn't possibly agree more Len....D_F_T and Co got what they wished for...they just couldn't see it coming, unlike most of us....they wanted Curb's out and got their wish...... unbelievable idiots the lot of 'em!
    To this day he's never admitted he was wrong....mind boggling if you ask me.