Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

POLL: Dowie or Pardew

13»

Comments

• Peterboro, Plymouth and Palace coming down.

Would have to fancy Southampton, Leeds and Millwall to be favourites next season :)
  • [cite]Posted By: Southendaddick[/cite]Peterboro, Plymouth and Palace coming down.

Would have to fancy Southampton, Leeds and Millwall to be favourites next season :)

Wait till Pardew's sufficiently messed about with the team and i wont fancy them against anyone :-)
  • I would choose Dowie.
    But both of them are culpable for the demise of Charlton Athletic.
    Both made bad decisions in my view but, I am opting for Dowie because Pardew was an arrogant unpleasant individual who walked away with a huge pay out that he did not deserve in any way.
    It is that lack of integrity when doing a well paid "luxury" job that I find the most offensive part about Mr. Pardew.
    And his record on the pitch as manager with us was totally underwhelming.
    He let us down completely.
  • edited March 2010
    [cite]Posted By: forzajuve_27[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: dabos[/cite]
    Half of those players are definitely not good enough for the Championship. Even if I agreed that the management was to blame rather than the players (which I don't), if these players were any good we'd have Championship clubs knocking on the door for them, which hasn't happened.

Well according to the papers clubs have come in for Bailey and Racon and I'm sure if we don't go up or even if we do there will be interest this summer. Also like I said Matt Holland told me he agreed that with the players we had any old manager could have kept us up, so straight from the horse's mouth so to speak.

I'd rather base my opinion on what I've seen of the players, rather than a conversation you've had with Matt Holland, and some rumours in unspecified 'papers'.
  • [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]
    Strong favourites! How on earth do you work that out? You have the 3 coming down the ones that dont quite make getting up this year, why would that make you strong favourites. What makes you think you'll have a settled side next year? You have absolutely no idea who he'll bring in that might make it unsettled. Strong favourites please dont make me laugh.
    I kind of agree with him, if they aren't the favourites they'll be right up there. It won't be a big achivement with the transfer budget he'll have, but Pardew will have enough money to just buy the better players off the smaller clubs. That should get them at least into the top half and probably play-offs. Very different to us where we can just try and find the best free transfers.
  • [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Saints fan[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]How do you work that out your 24pts behind leeds.Your current team aint good enough for diddly squat.How many times have i heard teams say we are good enough for this or good enough for that. Or even to good to go down. I base my claim on your manager what do you base your claim on? Oh by the way how did your promotion challenge team get on at home tonight ??

How do you know this? We've hardly had a settled side, since making a couple more additions to the squad in January we've been on soild form.

Oh and tonight we lost to a very good Swindon side, no shame in that - first defeat in a while at St Marys.

Next season we will be strong favourites to win the league. It will be all about our players coping with the pressure and not letting it get to their heads. I'm confident that we have the type of players that can challenge for at least a play off spot.

Strong favourites! How on earth do you work that out? You have the 3 coming down the ones that dont quite make getting up this year, why would that make you strong favourites. What makes you think you'll have a settled side next year? You have absolutely no idea who he'll bring in that might make it unsettled. Strong favourites please dont make me laugh.

Pardew may be a mug, but almost anyone can do well if they have the resources to simply buy the best players in the league. Especially at league 1 level where there's so many poor sides. 'Strong' favourites is probably pushing it, but I'd make them favourites overall for the title next year.
  • Can't believe the way this vote's gone. The entire North Stand were chanting for Pardew to be our next manager while Les Reed was in charge, we loved him to start with. He had a good crack at keeping us up in the Prem and then after a promising start in the Championship ultimately made a mess of things.

Dowie - we jeered him off the pitch when we sent Palace down while he was manager at Palace. I was disgusted when we appointed him - 15 years of being the model of a well-run club, plenty of money in the bank. Dowie turns up and blows the lot in the space of one transfer window - Faye, Traore, Pouso - how people can compare the likes of Varney and Gray with these signings is beyond me. Varney, Gray and McLeod arrived with good pedigrees and failed to live up to expectations. Everyone in football knew that Faye and Traore were woeful.

Not a Pardew lover, he made a real mess of things in the end but Dowie's in a different league, just look at his record since, about to help a club lose it's Premier League status for the second season on the spin. Think some people on here have short memories.
  • How comes the poll says 69% dowie, 29% pardew. (maths question, rather than opinion)
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: dabos[/cite]
    I'd rather base my opinion on what I've seen of the players, rather than a conversation you've had with Matt Holland, and some rumours in unspecified 'papers'.[/quote]

Wouldn't Matty Holland have a better idea of things than not only both of us but everyone on this forum?
  • edited March 2010
    Mrlargo I think the vote reflects how Pardew had plenty of time to fashion something decent out of reasonable resources and he completely messed it up.
    Neither of them did us any favours, but I think Pardew was given a proper chance to deliver, and he remained arrogantly convinced of his own infallibility even as he collected his severance pay.

And yes we chanted his name at the beginning but not at the end after we had seen his work.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2010
    I'd rather base my opinion on what I've seen of the players, rather than a conversation you've had with Matt Holland, and some rumours in unspecified 'papers'.

Wouldn't Matty Holland have a better idea of things than not only both of us but everyone on this forum?
    Probably, but players sometimes say things they are expected to or have to. How often do you see a player or manager say a youngster is a "fantastic prospect", when he's actually just a decent player. Maybe he just didn't like Parkinson, considering he dropped him after being a regular for Pardew. I don't think it's as simple as a player said this, therefore it must be true.
  • [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]

Probably, but players sometimes say things they are expected to or have to. How often do you see a player or manager say a youngster is a "fantastic prospect", when he's actually just a decent player. Maybe he just didn't like Parkinson, considering he dropped him after being a regular for Pardew. I don't think it's as simple as a player said this, therefore it must be true.

What Scoham said. And since I didn't have this conversation with Matt Holland, I'll form my own opinion thanks.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: paulbaconsarnie[/cite]How comes the poll says 69% dowie, 29% pardew. (maths question, rather than opinion)[/quote]

The total votes is 1 more than the votes for both of them together 76 v 75 atm
  • [cite]Posted By: Telnotinoz[/cite]I think Pardew is just a talentless ****** so Ive gone for the lesser of two evils in Dowie

My thinking as well ... Dowie
  • [cite]Posted By: MrLargo[/cite]Can't believe the way this vote's gone. The entire North Stand were chanting for Pardew to be our next manager while Les Reed was in charge, we loved him to start with. He had a good crack at keeping us up in the Prem and then after a promising start in the Championship ultimately made a mess of things.

Dowie - we jeered him off the pitch when we sent Palace down while he was manager at Palace. I was disgusted when we appointed him - 15 years of being the model of a well-run club, plenty of money in the bank. Dowie turns up and blows the lot in the space of one transfer window - Faye, Traore, Pouso - how people can compare the likes of Varney and Gray with these signings is beyond me. Varney, Gray and McLeod arrived with good pedigrees and failed to live up to expectations. Everyone in football knew that Faye and Traore were woeful.

Not a Pardew lover, he made a real mess of things in the end but Dowie's in a different league, just look at his record since, about to help a club lose it's Premier League status for the second season on the spin. Think some people on here have short memories.

That is exactly as I also see it.