Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

POLL: Dowie or Pardew

Comments

• Dowie, his record was somewhat tainted by the fact that we had a very hard run while he was in charge. Or maybe it was made to look better, we'll never know. He came into the club at a difficult time, and was stuck with a signings and staff that he wouldn't have wanted (which he should have been stronger about). A lot more fuss is made about Pousso than Sorrondo and Gibbs who cost a lot more and were signed at a truly bizarre time.

Also never lost a cup game. Jesus, fondly remembering the Dowie daze. Has it come to this, Charlton?
  • Pardew losing by about the same distance as most of my horses today
  • You have to be kidding.I vote for none of the above.
  • Obviously, that's like a choice between putting a scorpion or a banana spider down your keks, but....as has been already posited:

Dowie might have been crap and with a largely reverse-Midas touch in the transfer market (he actually signed Traore for which he will never, ever be forgiven), but at least he didn't appear to think that he was the greatest manager in the whole wide world ever. Contrast this with Mr Pardew. Being crap is one thing, but being crap, but convinced that you are a football genius is another thing entirely.

Even hearing the 'P' word makes me fume and want to commit acts of extreme violence. And I'm usually quite nice.
  • [cite]Posted By: Lewis Coaches[/cite]You have to be kidding.I vote for none of the above.

That actually not a vote
  • I must admit i dont really know who Traore is but judging by whats being said he wasn't much cop
  • gone for pardew still cant get over dowie spending that money he made some awful buys, pardew also bought terrible but he didnt have all that cash at his disposal.
  • dowie was never given a fair crack of the whip .....
    and as we've slid in to football oblivion i've always been of the opinion if dowie had stayed we wouldn't be in the trouble that we now find ourselves in
  • I went pardew, not only is dowie a failure where ever he goes, he was manager of palarse.
  • Just be grateful you had to watch him 'play' uncle...

Knowing he cost our club over a million quid made it even worse!
  • Sponsored links:

• I would say Pardew,

I couldn't stand Dowie one of the most overrated men in football he comes out with a couple of quirky phrases and a sports science degree and everyone believes that he is the next generation of managers, and I still believe Pardew would have at least given us a better chance at staying up than Parky did if he had stayed.
  • edited March 2010
    Dowie, both are poor of course but as a person, I don't mind him whereas with Pardew I was in the situation where I genuinely disliked our manager, probably why I'l willing to give Parky more time than I did with Pardew. I don't think Dowie would have taken us this far down either.
  • edited March 2010
    Dowie for me. As others have said, he may have just got the boot a few games too soon. We'll never know.

Pardew on the other hand is an egotistical, arrogant, overrated, 'poopy-drawers' who can sod off.

(Edit - Just read AFKA's message!)
  • Neither by choice.

Prior to their appointments I was vehementally anti Dowie but pro Pardew because I thought, as a former player, Pardew would appreciate and understand our Club, financial limitations and fans. How wrong could I be!!

Therefore by default it has to be Dowie purely because as an ex Charlton man Pardew's betrayal of our beloved club is even worse in my eyes. Tying our hands with dross like Christensen at £5k a week etc, etc!!
  • Poopy drawers will henceforth be my CL term for all the well .... Poopy drawers.
  • Pardew

Ok he is arrogant and bought some poor players but he has done well at Southampton.

I have always thought that there were "things" going on in the background at Charlton that didn't help the football management, things like the Dubai takeover, and changes in the Board.

Dowie - sorry no way ever could I consider him to even manage the parking.
  • Has he done well at Southampton though? I think he may just be bankrupting them. He spent 2m on what's his face about a day after they came out of administration and even with their points deduction they'd still be off the pace.
  • I am of the opinion NOW that Dowie should've had more games. I wasn't then and I was so happy when we signed Pardew - deluded fool, that's me, not him. Faye is still a shockingly dreadful player. Traore is only very slightly better. Don't look to me for opinions on managers, I thought Hodgson would take Fulham down..........
  • Would have said Dowie before I heard the anecdotes from RM about him at The Valley Q&A last year. He was incompetent plain and simple.
  • [cite]Posted By: AshTray[/cite]Has he done well at Southampton though? I think he may just be bankrupting them. He spent 2m on what's his face about a day after they came out of administration and even with their points deduction they'd still be off the pace.

Well considering most on here thought we would go straight down to League Two with him in charge, I'd say he's done a OK job.

We should be higher for the amount we spent but the majority of Saints fans would have settled for a season like this after admin.
  • Sponsored links:

• i don't think everyone realised saints fan quite the amount of cash pardew was gonna be given to spunk , that's why expectations were low .....
  • [cite]Posted By: Saints fan[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: AshTray[/cite]Has he done well at Southampton though? I think he may just be bankrupting them. He spent 2m on what's his face about a day after they came out of administration and even with their points deduction they'd still be off the pace.

Well considering most on here thought we would go straight down to League Two with him in charge, I'd say he's done a OK job.

We should be higher for the amount we spent but the majority of Saints fans would have settled for a season like this after admin.

Wait till next year you'll be down then
  • Uncle re Traore, you may recall a Liverpool player putting into his own net a few years ago against a lower division team, more or less stepping over the ball and back flicking it into the net un pressured, that qualified him to play for us. You may also recall in the first Dowie match at Upton Park player gets booked, then a minute later kicks the ball away from a free kick and gets sent off thats Traore/

BTW Your really rubbing it in, Millwall last saturday and then a question like that
  • [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Saints fan[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: AshTray[/cite]Has he done well at Southampton though? I think he may just be bankrupting them. He spent 2m on what's his face about a day after they came out of administration and even with their points deduction they'd still be off the pace.

Wait till next year you'll be down then

Based on what exactly? Our current team is good enough to mount a promotion challenge next season.
  • How do you work that out your 24pts behind leeds. Your current team aint good enough for diddly squat. How many times have i heard teams say we are good enough for this or good enough for that. Or even to good to go down. I base my claim on your manager what do you base your claim on? Oh by the way how did your promotion challenge team get on at home tonight ??
  • edited March 2010
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]How do you work that out your 24pts behind leeds. Your current team aint good enough for diddly squat. How many times have i heard teams say we are good enough for this or good enough for that. Or even to good to go down. I base my claim on your manager what do you base your claim on? Oh by the way how did your promotion challenge team get on at home tonight ??

How do you know this? We've hardly had a settled side, since making a couple more additions to the squad in January we've been on soild form.

Oh and tonight we lost to a very good Swindon side, no shame in that - first defeat in a while at St Marys.

Next season we will be strong favourites to win the league. It will be all about our players coping with the pressure and not letting it get to their heads. I'm confident that we have the type of players that can challenge for at least a play off spot.
  • The choice is between a complete buffoon and an arrogant a-hole.

If I had to hire one as manager, under those circumstances, it would have to be the a-hole.
  • [cite]Posted By: Saints fan[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]How do you work that out your 24pts behind leeds.Your current team aint good enough for diddly squat.How many times have i heard teams say we are good enough for this or good enough for that. Or even to good to go down. I base my claim on your manager what do you base your claim on? Oh by the way how did your promotion challenge team get on at home tonight ??

How do you know this? We've hardly had a settled side, since making a couple more additions to the squad in January we've been on soild form.

Oh and tonight we lost to a very good Swindon side, no shame in that - first defeat in a while at St Marys.

Next season we will be strong favourites to win the league. It will be all about our players coping with the pressure and not letting it get to their heads. I'm confident that we have the type of players that can challenge for at least a play off spot.

Strong favourites! How on earth do you work that out? You have the 3 coming down the ones that dont quite make getting up this year, why would that make you strong favourites. What makes you think you'll have a settled side next year? You have absolutely no idea who he'll bring in that might make it unsettled. Strong favourites please dont make me laugh.
  • I think Pardew is just a talentless ****** so Ive gone for the lesser of two evils in Dowie
  • [cite]Posted By: Telnotinoz[/cite]I think Pardew is just a talentless ****** so Ive gone for the lesser of two evils in Dowie

It seems thats what most are doing mate. Although people disliked Dowie its not to the same extent as the hate for pardew