Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Jackson/Possible Loan - JACKSON OUT FOR 6 WEEKS

13»

Comments

• Whoever gets the nod to play full back better be prepared to carry the ball and overlap his winger. When we play slow defensive full backs in a 442 formation we play rubbish football and usually drop points.
  • Yep, Solly was picked on by BR as our main weakness. Jackett would have picked up on that. I think Solly will become a good right back eventually, however i wouldnt play him out of position against a side like Millwall.
  • I would be reluctant to play Sam Sodje in this one.

How many games will he miss after the inevitable straight red?

He will be needed later on in the run in for sure so I'd save him for less intense fixtures.
  • Frustrating that this game has come a week too early for Kelly, but that's the way our cookie seems to be crumbling at the moment.

Agree with those who think we need Semedo's muscle and tenacity in the middle on Saturday, possibly at the expense of the second striker - i.e. back to 4-5-1.

It's a straight toss up between Solly's inexperience and out of positioness or Llera's horrible lack of pace, either will leave us a bit vulnerable perhaps but I've got faith in the two of them.

If Solly plays, he's a local lad and a Charlton graduate who'll know's what the game means and he played well at left back at Walsall (a decent enough side at League 1 level),and with 3 other 30 somethings in the back 4 he should get plenty of support so I think he'll be okay. If Llera plays, we know he'll give it everything and who knows what that left foot of his might conjure up, plus we'll have Sodje's pace back in the centre to help cover for him if he ventures forwards.

Have faith peeps - they'll be too busy fending off a sea off red attackers to have time to bother our left back!
  • What about moving Dailly to left back - he's played there a few times before.
  • Or Richo to left back and Solly at right back. And there is, of course, the elephant in the corner that is Moo2, although I've probably got more chnace of a start under Parky than he has.
  • Semedo would just edge it for me but I have absolutely no problem with playing Solly there I think he is a class act. He may be small but he is tough as nails, skillful, fast and a local lad who knows what the game means. Anyway, Millwall are shite and we would beat them with 10 men so i really am not bothered who plays there!
  • [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]Or Richo to left back and Solly at right back. And there is, of course, the elephant in the corner that is Moo2, although I've probably got more chnace of a start under Parky than he has.
    Would prefer that over Solly at left back. Parky doesn't seem to see as it as an option unfortunately.
  • Having read this:
    "Under former Leeds manager Gary McAllister, Richardson also played in the left-back position, playing a few games there as a replacement for on-loan Leicester City defender Alan Sheehan. After a poor performance in this position against Cheltenham Town, Richardson was booed off the pitch by Leeds fans and didn't play for a few weeks after. He returned in his usual right-back position as a replacement for the injured Darren Kenton in their 1–0 win over Doncaster Rovers, and played well."
    I don't think playing Richardson at left back would be the best option.
    If Semedo isn't picked in the midfield, I think I'd use him at left back. He has strength and experience which I think we are going to need. If it doesn't work out we could bring Solly on from the bench and push Semedo into the midfield.
  • edited March 2010
    I really think we need Semedo to stiffen the midfield in this game Otherwise we are too lightweight in the middle -
    Bailey will sit too deep so we'll miss his goal opportunism and Racon will go missing when we are under the cosh.

I'n not sure about no-pace 6' 4" lumbering centrebacks playing leftback ...... when I was a winger, I'd relish taking on a defender like that - just push the ball past him and go!

Leave Llera where he's playing well enough.
    Then there's also the reckless Sam Sodje, he's quick enough and always seems to gravitate to the left side when he gets forward. Is he the LB answer?

Dailly is a no-no at fullback also - fine for a spot of in-game covering when the regular fullback gets forward, but at 36 he's a skinning waiting to happen (think Bristol Rovers 2nd goal).

Solly would give a whole hearted buccaneering display and get up the line, but yes, his lack of height combined with wrong-footedness would mean he'd be targeted - as everybody realises. Although he played pretty much faultlessly at LB against a pacy Swindon winger for virtually all the 2nd half.

Playing 4-5-1 might be the way to go - we'd need Akpo's pace and power against Millwall's lump CB's, but there's not the guile or the touch for him to play there on his own - yet he's scored 3 in 3 and on top of his game.

Is Burton 90 minutes match fit ?

And Mooney virtually destroyed Millwall's defence at The Valley game - they didn't handle his movement well, and he created our first 3 goals.
  • Sponsored links:

• Llera at left back and Sodje in the middle?
  • Id go with Llera Left Back and sodje back in centre!
  • [cite]Posted By: I-SAW-POUSO-PLAY[/cite]Id go with Llera Left Back and sodje back in centre!

No. Don't mess about with other positions that are working. Solly's a left back and he's a senior squad member so put him in. Instruct the other players to give him some protection.
  • he aint a bloody left back he's a right back
  • solly got exposed at Bristol, tomorrow would be even worse.
  • Solly is a right back and playing him at LB tomorrow will do him no favours
  • [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]he aint a bloody left back he's a right back

Whoops - good point. My mistake. Forget what I said.
  • Chris Powell on loan?
  • I'm gutted by this .I thought Jackson was a well thought out signing.Although in the short term he was covering Left back , I felt he could have moved up pitch into his normal left footed central midfield role in the last third of the season. I hope we still move for him in the summer.

For tomorrow all of the options will be adequate defensively , but not offer anything going forward unless Youga really is fit.

In terms of Youga i would prefer him to have at least played a friendly or come on as a sub before being thrown in literally to the Lions Den.
  • wouldn't risk Youga in case he gets injured again. Better playing him when he's ready. Have no suggestions for who should play. Parky has a tough choice.