Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Shirt of hurt on Saturday?

Danny Baker's big idea for Sport Relief - wear the shirt of your fiercest rival. So do we think there will be any takers for this on Sat?! Millwall shirts in the away end, and Charlton shirts in home areas? Hmmmm.

Comments

• You're not our fiercest rival, so no.
  • mate i think most west ham would say the same about you,radar comes to mind
  • What a complete embarrassment that would be.
  • Nolly - I think you'll find the Millwall - west ham hatred is pretty mutual.

I know that their more recent fans, the post 1996 brigade, see the yids as a big rival and a lot of proper west ham have put them right, but on the whole, ask most upton park regulars, and we are their most hated rivals. Have worked for and with loads of west ham too, and they all said the same.

http://www.footballfanscensus.com/issueresults/Club_Rivalries_Uncovered_Results.pdf
  • I don't think the timing of this concept could be worse
  • anyway baker is a div who i would gladly iron out.
  • Yes I'm gonna stand in the away end wearing a lions shirt, trying to explain I'm doing it for charity as I get a kicking from Charlton, Police and stewards or I could go for broke wear a Palace shirt and add Millwall to the list of kickers
  • [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]Yes I'm gonna stand in the away end wearing a lions shirt, trying to explain I'm doing it for charity as I get a kicking from Charlton, Police and stewards or I could go for broke wear a Palace shirt and add Millwall to the list of kickers

lol
  • [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]Yes I'm gonna stand in the away end wearing a lions shirt, trying to explain I'm doing it for charity as I get a kicking from Charlton, Police and stewards or I could go for broke wear a Palace shirt and add Millwall to the list of kickers

Well, it is the shirt of hurt
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Sussex_Addick[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]Yes I'm gonna stand in the away end wearing a lions shirt, trying to explain I'm doing it for charity as I get a kicking from Charlton, Police and stewards or I could go for broke wear a Palace shirt and add Millwall to the list of kickers[/quote]

Well, it is the shirt of [b]hurt[/b][/quote]

It certainly would be
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Sparrows Lane Lion[/cite]Nolly - I think you'll find the Millwall - west ham hatred is pretty mutual.

I know that their more recent fans, the post 1996 brigade, see the yids as a big rival and a lot of proper west ham have put them right, but on the whole, ask most upton park regulars, and we are their most hated rivals. Have worked for and with loads of west ham too, and they all said the same.

http://www.footballfanscensus.com/issueresults/Club_Rivalries_Uncovered_Results.pdf

Very interesting reading, albeit seven years old. There may have been some changes of opinion since then though. After all, West Ham were in the same division as Millwall then.

Interesting that less than half of team agree with their "rivals" who their main rivals are. Also that Charlton are the only team to have a nickname for Millwall. Did enjoy Brighton's nickname for Palace, "Crippled Alice".
  • I actually found that site a couple of days ago, after googling the answer to a question that I'm too embarrassed to ask here. I was troubled to see that no one seemed to think that nice little Charlton was their top rival, unless I missed one. :-) That said, West Ham, Palace, Millwall and Charlton did figure prominently on each other's lists.

OK, (gulp) I'll ask. Is the Spanner nickname source cited there accurate?

PFOTP (Plastic from over the pond)
  • Danny Baker is admittedly a Millwall fan, but I also think he is an entertaining broadcaster, and i enjoy his Saturday morning programme a lot. Is this heresy?
  • I have done a lot for charity including jumping out of a plane at 2000 feet, running the London 10k BUT wearing a Millwall shirt? no chance! you have to draw the line somewhere lol
  • I'll do it if he goes live on the BBC in a West Ham shirt singing that silly bubble song! NOT!!!! Man is an eejit!
  • edited March 2010
    Stig - if you were around west ham at the time of our league cup game against them in August then their opinion hasn't changed, in fact the ground & the surrounding area seemed to be even more full of hatred than my previous 2 visits there a few years ago. Considering they played Tottenham 3 days previously, the contrast in atmospheres was huge, the whole millwall - west ham thing stretches back donkeys, to the old east end cup in the late 1800's as rival dockworkers and then the docks strike which the Millwall docks supposedly broke, then the Harry Cripps testimonial and the growth of hooliganism which added a new dimension to go along with the whole historical South London vs East London rivalry, it's not just about football, which is why they still hate us and we hate them.

As for nicknames, the longtails call us pikeys & sometimes scabs, you call us spanners, not sure if Palace have actually thought of anything and Gillingham I have no idea.

& also I think as the years start to roll on, more people may see you as second rivals rather than palace, simply because more Millwall now live in in North Kent etc and kids will grow up & go to school with more Charlton than Palace fans, so more banter etc between them.
  • [cite]Posted By: Sparrows Lane Lion[/cite], the whole millwall - west ham thing stretches back donkeys, to the old east end cup in the late 1800's as rival dockworkers and then the docks strike which the Millwall docks supposedly broke,

This is about the 5th different version I've read of this and all completely without any sources or references.

Every time it's a different strike at a different vague time.

Late 1800s was when Millwall were still playing north of the river and worked in a jam factory

West Ham weren't even formed until 1895.

Like most of what you say on here Sparrows Lane just made up rubbish to justify a bunch of meat heads beating up some other meat heads and getting hard on's thinking about it.
  • [cite]Posted By: Can-addick[/cite]

OK, (gulp) I'll ask. Is the Spanner nickname source cited there accurate?

Completely.

Although Millwall fans laughable complained at the time and afterwards that it wasn't a spanner but some other metal tool.

Away game at Reading if I remember correctly. Early/mid 90s

The nickname was first coined in Voice of the Valley by my name sake in his Fifth Column
  • Danny Baker and Ray Winstone are doing the Shirt of Hurt this week. As Palace and Millwall don't see as as rivals (only the team they want to beat more than anyone else and the local fixture they want to be at more than any other), we are left looking sideways at the Gills but find ourselves equally uninterested....perhaps we will want to beat them sufficiently in a fortnight for it to move up in our estimation.
  • edited March 2010
    My eldest got called a Trainspotter yesterday by his Millwall mate at school and to which he replied: 'At least I can read'.

He's 9 years old.

You gotta love that.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Sparrows Lane Lion[/cite], the whole millwall - west ham thing stretches back donkeys, to the old east end cup in the late 1800's as rival dockworkers and then the docks strike which the Millwall docks supposedly broke,

This is about the 5th different version I've read of this and all completely without any sources or references.

Every time it's a different strike at a different vague time.

Late 1800s was when Millwall were still playing north of the river and worked in a jam factory

West Ham weren't even formed until 1895.

Like most of what you say on here Sparrows Lane just made up rubbish to justify a bunch of meat heads beating up some other meat heads and getting hard on's thinking about it.

So 1896, 1897, 1898 and 1889 ain't the late 1800's then Henry? I'd have to start searching more & pulling the history books off the shelf to get all the full details of the East End Cup etc, didn't really have the time to do that I'm afraid.

I never mentioned the date of the strike and I said Millwall supposedly broke it. I'm not sure of the true details, but if it's a myth or not, it's added to the rivalry in west ham's eyes.

What else have I made up? Where is my justification for "meatheads beating up other meatheads"?

All of your posts are very snidey & bitter with regards to Millwall, nice to see that Millwall gets under your skin so much! You seem to twist posts and make things up more than I apparently do!
  • What have I made up? Nothing at all.

I'll never deny having a total disdain for Millwall and everything that thuggish little no mark club stands for.

Under my skin? No, don't think so. More like s*** under my shoe.

The whole "strike breakers" thing was made up by Millwall fans in the 90s. There was never a single mention of it before then and I am old enough to remember. Why they needed to make it up I don't know but as you have proved whenever you push a Millwall fan for some dates or facts they suddenly say they don't know the full details.
  • Blimey we have two decent Millwall fans on this board and we have to resort to childish insults.

Im pretty sure Sparrows Lane and Groucho will be on here on Monday win, lose or draw so can we cut the name calling bullshit.
  • yeah reign it in lads for gawd sake
  • Well i'll be wearing my Millwall shirt on Saturday.They're my second team.
  • good grief what is this site coming too.....time for a break me thinks.
  • Slaaaags.
  • I'll be back on Monday, regardless. Ok, maybe Tuesday....

To be honest, i'm more worried about my Sunday teams game this weekend, which i believe AFKA might have some common interest in too.
  • whats your sunday team?
  • [cite]Posted By: Groucho78MFC[/cite]
    To be honest, i'm more worried about my Sunday teams game this weekend, which i believe AFKA might have some common interest in too.

blimey, your manager notifies his players of their game before Friday ??? I need to sharpen up !

We're missing a couple this week so there is a very real chance i may be forced to pull a shirt on. Not impressed

Anyway, back to thread.....