Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Airman Brown,20th March 2010,CAFC VS GFC!.

Comments

• [cite]Posted By: Red_in_SE8[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: incorruptible addick[/cite]......

Airman's breakdown of where registered CAFC supporters live showed that we outnumber those with London postal codes by more than two to one...

Where can I view this breakdown?

posted by the good Airman six days ago:

The club has a database of 65,616 fans by postcode, which break down as follows:

DA 15,110 (23%) Bexley & Kent
    SE 14,262 (22%) Inner London
    ME 5,838 (9%) All Kent
    TN 5,001 (8%) Kent and East Sussex
    BR 4,760 (7%) Bromley & Kent
    CT 3,680 (6%) All Kent
    SW 1,683 (2.5%) Inner London

The others amount to 22.5%, but most will be outside London.
  • edited March 2010
    Where does West Sussex fit into this? (RH)

Sorry, in others! der.
  • Do remember that many of the DA and BR post codes are in the LONDON boroughs of Bexley and Bromley.
  • All of the outer London Borough of Bromley is in Kent, apart from Penge /Anerley in SE20 and a bit around Mottingam in SE9, I believe. There was a bit of SE6 that was in Bromley for a time, but it was transfered to Lewisham at the last local govt reorganisation. Anorak knowledge from when I was a (failed) candidate at the council elections in 1982!

Conversely, by the way, such outlying semi-rural districts as Biggin Hill and even a part of Swanley are also in the borough of Bromley, but you'd be in trouble trying to tell the residents of such places that they're Londoners rather than Kentish men...

On less certain ground over the London Borough of Bexley, but again almost all of it in Kent I would guess, apart from Thamesmead?

In any case, Airman's figures for BR and DA postal areas exclude Penge, Mottingham, Thamesmead etc which are included in the SE tally of 14,262.

But it doesn't really matter. Whichever way you look at it, the figures present a fascinating picture of where the club's core support lies these days and how it has spread outwards...
  • I'd like to know wht percentage of that live in Essex because there seem to be a fair few on here that do
  • [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]I'd like to know wht percentage of that live in Essex because there seem to be a fair few on here that do

yes, and then we can have a good argument about whether Romford, Hornchurch, Dagenham etc are really London or Essex !!!
  • [cite]Posted By: JT[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]err, i think se9 was quite clearly having a giggle chaps !

Bollocks

Haha, yes of course it was !!

I couldn’t care less where anyone lives or comes from. If you support Charlton you have to be a little bit mad. If you’re from the local area then you’re mad to support us when some of the biggest teams on earth play just a few miles away and if you come from Kent (or anywhere else) then you’re mad to support us when you have plenty of geographic excuses not too !!! It’s just that true Charlton fans share this madness in common no matter where they come from.

P.s. I’m not sure anyone from Kent could be considered a “glory hunter” for supporting Charlton, and if so they are making a very poor job of it !
  • [cite]Posted By: se9addick[/cite]If you support Charlton you have to be a little bit mad.

That's very good, SE9.

To support any team in south London you have to be mad, bad or sad...

mad = Charlton

bad = Millwall

sad = Palace

Perhaps a new chant for Saturday, along the lines of ''it's better to be mad than bad (or sad)'' ???
  • [cite]Posted By: incorruptible addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]I'd like to know wht percentage of that live in Essex because there seem to be a fair few on here that do

yes, and then we can have a good argument about whether Romford, Hornchurch, Dagenham etc are really London or Essex !!!

Well they are london boroughs and inside the M25
  • [cite]Posted By: incorruptible addick[/cite]
    To support any team in south London you have to be mad, bad or sad...

mad = Charlton

bad = Millwall

sad = Palace

lol, i quite like that !
  • Sponsored links:

• The Good, the Bad and the Hideously Ugly also works well !
  • [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: incorruptible addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]I'd like to know wht percentage of that live in Essex because there seem to be a fair few on here that do

Well they are london boroughs and inside the M25

Just like Bromley. Whatever some residents might say the Borough of Bromley is in London. It even says that on the Borough logo. We pay London tax and vote in London elections ipsofacto we are in London.

Woolwich used to be in Kent but it is most certainly in London now.
  • I think its a futile argument.

I live in Borough of Bexley and if i'm honest, although it has ties to both i don't class it as either London or Kent. Bexley / Bromley etc are grey areas where there is no real, tangent boundary lines.
  • Considering the people of Bromley and Bexley have more say on London wide goverance then the people of Greenwich and Lewisham, you're in London.
  • And while we're on the subject, are the Falkland Islands/Malvinas part of the UK or Argentina?

And can Airman tell us how many Charlton fans live there?
  • edited March 2010
    Fact......

Sadly i won't be away for the next three games or I might have made an effort with this for a laugh. Just for Scally of course ;-)
  • Just about the most pointless thread ever.
  • JTJT
    edited March 2010
    [cite]Posted By: incorruptible addick[/cite]And while we're on the subject, are the Falkland Islands/Malvinas part of the UK or Argentina?

And can Airman tell us how many Charlton fans live there?

Used to be full of Jills, but since the Valley Atlantic Express came about we do quite well over there...
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]. Bexley / Bromley etc are grey areas where there is no real, tangent boundary lines.

There should be a much better defined boundary between Bexley and Bromley. About 12 foot tall with barbed wire would do. : - )

Being serious for once if you are looking a boundary then it is the green belt. The north of Bromley is much more urban and developed. The south, which is in the green belt much less so. A quick look at a map shows this.
  • Sponsored links:

• Oggy reckoned:

''Just about the most pointless thread ever.''

Pay attention, Oggster. There have been dozens that have been proudly far more pointless than this one!
  • I'd agree with that AFKA. Having lived in different parts of Bromley all my life I wouldn't say I'm from London. Borderline maybe but in my mind its a bit to far out to be classified as London. Yes I appreciate Henry its a London Borough etc etc but most people I know who live where I do now wouldn't say they were from the smoke.
  • Born in SE18
    Brought up in SE9
    Adult in DA1, then TN13
    Now in ME18

Should be covered in all of Airmans Post Code data bases then :-)
  • I can't give you home ticket sales figures as easily as I can away ones, but I know Gillingham have now been sent all the Jimmy Seed tickets after initially only requiring 1,600, which was all they felt they would sell. Given that they haven't been to The Valley for 29 years in any competition and Gills officials have nothing to benchmark Charlton against, I always felt it was likely they would sell out.

Valley Express numbers are running way ahead of other games this season, which of course could mean we are picking up some Gillingham fans or that Charlton supporters in Kent are more interested in this game, or a combination of both. We have cut the comps back for this game, but I think we could be looking at 19-20,000.

By the way, and as I've said before, Gillingham is arguably no more or less in Kent than Bexley and Bromley, since like those areas it has a unitary local authority (Medway) and does not come under Kent County Council, but retains a Kent postcode.

And Dartford is inside the M25, but that doesn't make it London.
  • So are the Falkands/Malvinas British or Argentinian?
  • I can see my house on that map
  • [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]So are the Falkands/Malvinas British or Argentinian?

There is no such place as the Malvinas. The only Islands in that area are called the Falklands. I'm sure if you ask anyone who lives there they will confirm that a) They live in the Falkland Islands and b) They are British.

c) They all support Charlton and used to go to away games regularly but it is obviously difficult for travelling. I believe thats why our away attendences are not as good as they could be.
  • Someone mentioned Dagenham earlier.
    I was born there. - London Borough of Barking apparently, according to my documents,- though as a family we more often said 'Essex'.
    I think it depends who you are talking to when the 'London' thing comes up.
    If you are talking to someone from up north and you meet them on holiday in Greece, you would probably say you live in London purely for the ease of it even though you might actually live in Bromley.
    If you are talking to someone who is from nearer you'd be more precise.
  • Born in SE23, South East London, London, England, United Kingdom, Europe, World, Solar System, Milky Way, Universe.

Now live Witherenden Hill, Burwash, East Sussex, England, United Kingdom, Europe, World, Solar System, Milky Way, Universe.

Gor blimey.
  • Born SE1
    Lived SE23 until the age of 23.
    Lived Essex since, SS13 for ten years, SS11 for 20.
    Work NW1.
    Outlaws spread all over - Norfolk, Midlands, Cumbria - all threaten to come visit us in 'London'!
    Good luck to 'em - I just tell them the north starts at the River Thames.