Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Airman Brown,20th March 2010,CAFC VS GFC!.

Comments

• A lot of us who live in Kent now were brought up in SE London and moved away because of house prices, schools etc, etc.

We are still Charlton fans.
  • [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Plaaayer[/cite]Do people actually but tickets in advance still, rather than on the day, at home?

Yes because the queues on the day are pretty long. why wait when you can order over the phone and have posted.

they might not be local to you nolly but they are a kent club and a lot of our fans live in Kent. I am looking forward to it.
    I pretty much wait no longer than a few minutes every game. How long before kick off do you queue when you get a ticket on the day?
  • Kent lad too.

Family moved down here in 80s
  • I just hope for me and my sons sake that we smash pardonts Saints. Otherwise every local yokel will be taking the p*ss.
  • I too live in Kent and originate from SE 18, I would not move back there for a kings ransom. Although have supported Charlton through thick and Thin, its a family curse.
  • Kev, I too live in Kent and originate from SE 18. I was born and raised in Samuel Street. Now GL Kent!
  • Born in SE London, Live in SE London, have a Kent postcode.
  • Henry, I'm in Hayes and that IS Kent, NOT London ...! :-)
  • You can take the boy out of Charlton......
  • Born in Woolwich (British Hospital for Mothers and Babies - Was the closest hospital to the Valley). Now live in Kent and love it! Wouldn't move back to SE18. There are some undesirable places in Kent (The administrative area of Medway having most of them), but on the whole it's a better place to live.
  • Sponsored links:

• This debate is stupid. I lived in gillingham for 18 years i know at least 8 charlton fans who live in gillingham. It takes just over 30 minutes to drive from gillingham to charlton. I agree our club is south east london. But Gillingham is still local. Anywhere that takes less than an hour to get to is a local derby IMO.

p.s I was born in that hospital BDL.
  • Those of us who reside in Kent are not just an eccentric minority to be humoured by you ethnically pure south Londoners, you know!

Airman's breakdown of where registered CAFC supporters live showed that we outnumber those with London postal codes by more than two to one...

This season I care more about the Millwall game than the Gills - but only because they're a potential play-off rival. If they were down the bottom , I'd care more about the Gillingham game, as I know dozens of their supporters and there is not a single Millwall fan of my acquaintance in this rather picturesque corner of Kent...
  • Medway is full of Millwall fans. Chavham high street was awash the other week.
  • missing point,dont matter where you live.its millwall and always will be,a club with our history and past stature hardly going to have them as a rival,like i said west ham fans live in essex they dont see southend as a rival,millwall prob have more fans in kent anywhere.
  • Just to make it clear i Dont see them as a rival. Just a local derby.
  • thats sounds about right.
  • If you live in Kent you are highly likely to say it's lovely.
    If you live in London you'd say the same.
    Not many people would go to all the expense and effort of buying or renting a home, moving all their stuff into it etc etc only to say that they don't like the area.

We support a London club and are all Charlton, no matter where we live.
  • [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]Medway is full of Millwall fans. Chavham high street was awash the other week.

Fortunately, BDL, I live far away from the Medway towns in a village on the Kent/Sussex border...

And, by the way, can I just point out that I know all the booers at the Valley are south east Londoners. FACT.

Those of us with the good sense to live in Kent are far more civilised !!! ;o)

Stirring it - moi (as we say down here closer to the English Channel) ?
  • People can live in Kent and support Charlton, but to be true Charlton you have to come from SE !!
  • [cite]Posted By: se9addick[/cite]People can live in Kent and support Charlton, but to be true Charlton you have to come from SE !!

Bollocks
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: incorruptible addick[/cite]......

Airman's breakdown of where registered CAFC supporters live showed that we outnumber those with London postal codes by more than two to one...

Where can I view this breakdown?
  • Gillingham don't have any rivals to speak of do they?
  • [cite]Posted By: se9addick[/cite]People can live in Kent and support Charlton, but to be true Charlton you have to come from SE !!

Bollocks.
  • As far as I'm concerned people can consider whoever they like as Charlton's rivals. For me it's Millwall/Palace and then some way below that comes Gillingham (and West Ham). If it's different for other people then that's up to them - if we're talking 'historical', a lot of the real old timers considered it to be Arsenal because they were the local side once upon a time. We all have our own reasons/motivations for being a supporter or an anti-supporter.

Regarding the Gills game however, it is clear that for most of them it is a bigger game than for most of us, so their support will be that much more galvanised and that might be the difference between the two sides on the day. At least those that don't see the Gills as rivals won't be too upset if we do lose!
    Bollocks
  • [cite]Posted By: JT[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: se9addick[/cite]People can live in Kent and support Charlton, but to be true Charlton you have to come from SE !!

Bollocks.

How old are you SE9?

I just think this is, in the main a generational argument and not the first time its been made.

My family come from Catford and Deptford both historically in Kent but administratively in London for many years. Same as Charlton, historically part of Kent but administratively in London since the late nineteenth century. I was born in Bromley, also now part of London but my address was Kent.

The connection though with Kent is very strong. Kent Cricket was played at Blackheath for many years and many many fans like many on here, have moved out into the current administrative county of Kent.

So respect some people who feel great affinity with Kent and perhaps try not to be so dogmatic.
  • err, i think se9 was quite clearly having a giggle chaps !
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]err, i think se9 was quite clearly having a giggle chaps !

Bollocks
  • bingo.
  • edited March 2010
    I can most certainly say that Bromley IS Kent