Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton 2 - 0 Stockport - Post match views

Comments

• job done never in danger poor ref decision with the pen that was not given,most blatent hand ball i have seen.

Reid got the MOM glad Shelvey was given a bit longer rest didnt need to risk him, Racon broke up a lot of their attempted moves through midfield although he didnt do much he was as good as bailey

biggest concern for me is the lack of bollocking that comes from the sideline when we have so obviously switched off, i saw Parky telling folks to keep calm on the sideline which i agree with but i also feel he needs to lay the law down sometimes,

and removing the wrong striker for the sub

good move changing lloyd for waggy though so well done there

Elliot had every right to give out to Llera when he didnt deal with the long ball yet Parky told Robbie to calm down when he should have been bollocking Llera.

no one over a 7 out of 10 but they never needed to be

i dont get the fans bawling out the fellas in our Directors box about it not being good enough when we are winning 2 nil, a goal fest would have been nice but i would have taken 2 nil at the start of the day.

just chill the feck out another 2 points gained on leeds a clean sheet and Akpo on 3 in 3 somehow and what a great goal it was, worth the entrance fee
  • [cite]Posted By: No.1 in South London[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]As for the pitch, I'm sure it's always been better by this time of the season in other years. Is that just down the weather or something else?

Probably more to do with the finances of the division we are playing in.

But money doesn't make grass grow, and even with our finances I'm sure we could stretch to a packet of grass seed.

Truth is we've had a load of snow and then some pretty wet weather recently - not ideal for keeping a football pitch in mint condition. Just have a look at the pitches down your local park and at some of the other league grounds around the country. It's not just us with a worse than usual pitch at the moment.

Still nowhere near as bad as pitches used to be. That pitch at Selhurst when we were there was absolutely dreadful from about October onwards every year.
  • 3 points. Ist half we were ok-ish. 2nd half we were dire-ish. Reid and Bailey had a good game. I was impressed with Mooney for the first time for ages. Richardson was poor. Sam was poorer. And how the feeble Racon gets the nod ahead of Jonjo or even Matt Spring is a mystery to me. He bottles challenges, passes square, passes back, positions himself where he hopes no one will be able to pass to him - and all that after a prayer session before kick-off which would embarrass the Pope.
  • [cite]Posted By: nichorob[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: S_E_7[/cite]Got to be the most boring 2nd half i have seen.
    Kicked off at half time in north upper

Go on...

He was smoking in the toilets, got caught and asked to stop... cue a massive over reaction
  • [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]
    Probably more to do with the finances of the division we are playing in.

But money doesn't make grass grow, and even with our finances I'm sure we could stretch to a packet of grass seed.

As a gardener, I can tell you that grass seed does not grow until the temperature of the soil warms up in mid-to-late March. So it really is all about money.

Premiership clubs employ undersoil heating, not just to keep the frost at bay, but so that the grass will actually continue to grow in the winter months, when growth would otherwise be dormant...

Doesn't matter how many staff we have out there at half-time with forks. All that does is aereate the soil and help it not to become too compacted.It does not make the grass grow. From November through to March, only a temperature increase is going to achieve that...and in its absence above ground, it can only be provided (artificially and expensively) from below ground.
  • Wasn't that what I was sayingthough ia - the cold winter we've had is the major factor in our pitch being shite. Same as a lot of pitches around the country.

We never had undersoil heating last year either, or the year before, so the fact we are potless this year hasn't really made any difference.
  • [cite]Posted By: sinking feesh[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: nichorob[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: S_E_7[/cite]Got to be the most boring 2nd half i have seen.
    Kicked off at half time in north upper

Go on...

He was smoking in the toilets, got caught and asked to stop... cue a massive over reaction

if that's true I hope the muppet smoking was ejected. It's the law.
  • If he butted a steward because of it I hope he gets locked up.
  • yeah it was the guy smoking who went on to nut a steward and then get thrown. clever bloke
  • just thrown out? he got lucky
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: sinking feesh[/cite]yeah it was the guy smoking who went on to nut a steward and then get thrown. clever bloke

In that case, are you certain he was a Charlton fan and not a Millwall scout ???
  • haha why would they sent scouts?... they dont care about us
  • Thought Sam was OK 1st half and was very quick witted with the quick short corner, Bailey misplaced a lot of passes and at the moment is below par compared to pre the winter break, overall solid performance, but we need to score goals when we have the upper hand, we are breathing down leeds neck, but our goal difference is inferior.
  • At 2 - 0 up after ten minutes we had a golden opportunity to go on and score a few goals against the poorest team to visit The Valley in perhaps years and help out our goal difference. Instead we got a sterile passionless display both on the pitch and in the dugout.
  • I think it ws a case of 2 up, job done, nothing silly before next week
  • thats what i hope swisdom,all i ask next saturday is them to go in hard in tackles and want it more for once,oh and sam to fuck the silly grin off the face for once.
  • I'm surprised everyone's quite so poitive about the first half. To me the first 10 minutes were very good, then we relaxed totally. It was as if we'd agreed to a truce with them, "If you promise not to do anything to upset the result, we promise not to do anything that'll humiliate you". From then on very little of note happened in what was the surely biggest borefest of the season so far. Maybe the team/management do think we've got the points; job done. But for me I want to see us take teams apart. I've never seen anyone show us any mercy when we're not up to scratch, so why should we? If the aim was to have an easy afternoon and a nice rest with no injuries it didn't entirely work as we lost Jackson. I'd have thought it would be far better to score 3, 4, 5, 6... or how many we possibly could and take a nice big score to fill the team full of confidence for the next game. I feel more disappointed about this than about the string of draws we had last month, at least those were against sides that were worthy opposition. Stockport are the worst team I've seen in a long long while.

I have to say though, all credit to their fans for sticking it out until the end. It must be very hard following them if it's like that every week, and the table suggests it is.
  • I can't quite work out if we were actually trying in the 2nd half. We seemed to switch off and start thinking about next week. If they'd nicked a goal back (which they very nearly did) then i think we'd have got nervous and been hanging on. We should have been 3 or 4 up and out of sight.

Still don't know what to make of Mooney, Sam didn't do enough for me, Richardson had a bit of a mare, Llera still worries me, Reid is getting better with every game, he's a real threat. Anyone know how bad Jacksons injury is?
  • Obviously didn't see the pitch today, but can't imagine it was worse than Stamford Bridge when we drew there on the strength of debut goal from the legend Marcus Bent...
  • [cite]Posted By: Can-addick[/cite]Obviously didn't see the pitch today, but can't imagine it was worse than Stamford Bridge when we drew there on the strength of debut goal from the legend Marcus Bent...

Surely the drubbing on sand was worse Can-addick?
  • Sponsored links:

• First half was good, Reid done well, things changed when Jackson went off.
    Second half was a non starter, the sign that we wouldn't be going for more goals was when a steward walked back from the east stand with the extra balls from the multi ball system.

Nice to walk out after the game in daylight.
  • Would happily have settled for 2-0 at 3pm, but given the start - and the lacklustre second half - then it felt disappointing by the end.

That said, I would be delighted with another 11 games and results like that before mid-May.
  • This game highlighted perhaps even more than other recent games that we don't press teams enough and allow them the sniff of getting back in to the game.

Stockport new they were on their way to defeat after 10 mins but because we din't apply the pressure to kill them off they eventually started to gain confidence and were allowed to play. This has happened time and again against teams at home, we have to start pressing teams as a unit more in the midfield. Somehow I can't see better opposition not taking advantage of our play if we don't get closer when defending as a team.

It wasn't a convincing performence but I'll take it and be happy and keep the blind faith for the moment, hoping we can keep picking up the points and other teams start slipping up.
  • Job done, the sting was taken out the game by the two early goals and after that both teams settled for the result.

I'd like to have seen us press for a third and maybe a fourth - our GD is worse than Leed's and a bit more pressure and coolness in front of goal and we'd have had an extra goal.
  • [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]At 2 - 0 up after ten minutes we had a golden opportunity to go on and score a few goals against the poorest team to visit The Valley in perhaps years and help out our goal difference. Instead we got a sterile passionless display both on the pitch and in the dugout.
    This was the thing I was disappointed with yesterday - we really could've helped our goal difference stats. With a tight table, they can count for an extra point...
  • edited March 2010
    3 points is great but the manner which they came wasn't exactly inspiring ....
    hopefully we're saving our best for the new den or whatever that khazi is called
    anyway come what may 5 o'clock next saturday we'll still be above them muppets in the table!
    i now see us as 10% automatics 85 % playoffs and 5% out of playoffs come the end of the season , i'll up date it after each game so you all will know where we'll end up ;-)
  • Suprised so many people are disapointed by the performance. We had the game wrapped up early, coasted for 60 minutes and didn't play particuarly well but Stockport never looked likely to get back in the game.

It wasn't exactly thrilling but it was the most comfotable home win we've had all season.
  • whats all this come what may crap oohaa,its all about finding the stomach for the fight and matching them on the field and beating them,big away support watching and getting behind team so no shirking from the fight and finding comfort in that were be in front in table come what may.
  • come on nolly you and i both know we wont win, draw at best ....
    so being a cub scout i'm prepared for the abuse that we'll get from them non-entities who we haven't had to talk to about football for 14 years cos we've been knocking around in the higher echelons of the football stratosphere while they have been knocking about in the hell hole league that we currently find ourselves in
  • i know mate,but there lies the problem ,this game should be talked up,the manager should lead by example,its one thing getting easy points of poncy palace and kidding ourselves (not me or you) thats are big derby but this game is the real deal,both teams pushing for promotion big crowd etc etc, if those bastards dont turn up and put a tepid perfomance in AGAIN im having a rest from them. as you can see im a tad nervous about the game.lol