Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton 2 - 0 Stockport - Post match views

edited March 2010 in General Charlton
Add all post match comments here

Comments

• OS: "Mooney headed a corner from the left wide and the hosts had strong penalty claims turned down on 43 minutes after a Reid cross clearly struck the arm of Mathew Sadler."

Ball to arm
    is NOT a penalty ........!

Arm to ball: a player has to first move his arm for a handball offence to occur - even in self-protection.
    In that instance the referee should award a penalty.

But if his arm is stationary as the ball strikes it, as appears from the above OS quote, then it is not handball, and not a penalty
  • Akpo scored in 3 consecutive matches ..... not bad, at all !
  • Thought we was in for 5 or 6 after the first 10 mins but things seemed to die after that. Job done though, 2 points from Leeds and the season is alive again. Got a little run going for next weekend, confidence should be up.
  • Lively first half with Reid particularly on form....second half we seemed to be just going through the motions....Burton had a good shot well saved but apart from that and Rob Elliott making a complete hash of a cross there's little to relate.
    Would have been interesting (if that's the right word) to see what would have happened if Stockport had managed to nick one at some point....they had the odd half chance chance here and there but didn't really threaten, so thankfully that particular piece of agony was spared us.
  • Got to be the most boring 2nd half i have seen.
    Kicked off at half time in north upper
  • [cite]Posted By: S_E_7[/cite]Got to be the most boring 2nd half i have seen.
    Kicked off at half time in north upper

Go on...
  • Looked like a big steward was getting heavy handed by the toilets and a fan started shouting and went head to head with him then nutted him then all the other stewards turned up and started throwing people out for no reason.
  • First half was total dominance with Reid looking very impressive especially.

Second half was bloody awful. Passes inaccurate and too many basic errors. Shame as Stockport were there for a serious hiding.
  • Looked unbalanced without Jackson, but job done, Leeds fail again, and we're getting closer to them week by week
  • Agree with Rothko, looked totally unbalanced when Jackson went off.

First half 6.5/10.

Second half 4ish/10.
  • Sponsored links:

• will jackson be back next week? harris took a knock for them
  • What a poor poor game, hard to judge, as game was put to bed in first ten min and became a training exercise, esp since stockport offered absolutely nothing, even when we gave them goal scoring opurtunities they still couldnt hit target. deff the worst team iv seen at the valley since, well cant think of a poorer away team actually.

Rosetinted mood, another clean sheet and easy win, could have been a hatfull more
    Doom mongering mood, if we play like that against any other team we will get soundly beaten.
  • Looked ok both first and second half, but having not been for a few weeks, could not believe how poor the pitch was! Have they done the pitch budget already and now have to stop replacing poor areas? Cannot help us to play a good passing game and it shows when we feel the need to lump it forward from our own half rather than pass it through the middle. Two wins in a row should be good for confidence ahead of their cup final next week.
  • the pitch is bloody awful and doesn't help at all, i really fear for us if jackson isnt fit next week we are so ubalanced without a left footed left back.Just a bit gutted we didn't kick on and go into next week brimming with confidence.How the hell does Racon get in that team ahead of Shelvey.
  • Pretty dull really but the three points was the most important thing.

If we'd have gone looking for 5 or 6 and left ourselves open at the back Parky would have got slagged off big time.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Steve Dowman[/cite]Looked ok both first and second half, but having not been for a few weeks, could not believe how poor the pitch was! Have they done the pitch budget already and now have to stop replacing poor areas? Cannot help us to play a good passing game and it shows when we feel the need to lump it forward from our own half rather than pass it through the middle. Two wins in a row should be good for confidence ahead of their cup final next week.[/quote]

You should have seen it against Brighton!!

Disappointed that we did not kick on after 10 mins, we need the goals, would hate to miss out on auto because we have not got the goal difference. The second goal was a perfect example of why we can take this league we just don't do it enough and that is passing our way through teams. Still maybe we are keeping back our best performances for the up and coming big games
  • edited March 2010
    Three points against the worst team in the division. Performance was awful. Stockport should have been well and truly stuffed today and yet we looked completely incapable of dominating them. Racon should have had a field day playing against that lot but again I thought he was sluggish and lazy. Richardson was awful. The others did barely enough to justify their selection. Charlton looked better once Burton was on. At least he has a brain. If that's the Charlton that run out at the New Den next week then I fear they will swamp us. You can be sure that Millwall will be right up for it next week and I have no confidence that we can match them in that department. I am now firmly in the Parky hasn`t a scooby doo club. 2 points behind second place and yet I feel despondent. Only at Charlton !
  • [cite]Posted By: S_E_7[/cite]Looked like a big steward was getting heavy handed by the toilets and a fan started shouting and went head to head with him then nutted him then all the other stewards turned up and started throwing people out for no reason.

the fella got thrown out, thing is - his little boy was still there!, very easy to square up to a bloke twice your size when you think there's a few hundred backing you up so to speak, bet he wasn't quite so brave once 4 of them had dragged him down the stairs....anyway enough of the half time entertainment....

Boring game, we scored 2 early on and then should've had 5/6 in the first half, second half we didn't really do anything. Alot of good things in the first half, Reid/Jackson and Sam/Richardson both looked dangerous combinations down either flank and I think that was the key (really hope Jackson is fit next week, if not then I'd play Semedo there to be honest), Solly is not a left back and Millwall would really target him.

Thought everyone did 'ok', couple of nice passing moves and don't think Bailey and Racon in the middle will have an easier game all season.

Akpo looked lively and scored a lovely header, whatever people think of his ability - he works his socks off and has scored some important goals, I'd start him up front with Deon next week.
  • I'll take the 3 points as the biggest positive from the game. Not sure if they were so bad, that they just made us look ok, or because they had so little to offer, we didn't have to get out of second gear. Either way it doesn't matter as the performance was good enough for a comfortable 2-0 victory so no complaints on what was basically job done.
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]OS:"Mooney headed a corner from the left wide and the hosts had strong penalty claims turned down on 43 minutes after a Reid crossclearly struck the armof Mathew Sadler."

Ball to arm
    is NOT a penalty ........!

Arm to ball: a player has to first move his arm for a handball offence to occur - even in self-protection.
    In that instance the referee should award a penalty.

But if his arm is stationary as the ball strikes it, as appears from the above OS quote, then it is not handball, and not a penalty

Thanks for educating us on the laws of the game Oggy. Cos we iz fick, init.

As for the incident, absolute cast iron stonewall pen in my view. Happened right in front of me. Ball came across, fella went to control it, got done by a dodgy bounce and out went the arm in one of those instinct but "why the f**k did I do that" kind of moments. Couldn't believe it wasn't given.

As for the match, it was BLOODY COLD!
  • Sponsored links:

• never seen 2 halves so different..........1st half we passed them off the park and should have had a couple more - second half we couldn't pass a turd ! What has Lloyd Sam got to do to get dropped ? Reid showed time & time gain what a winger should do, but no, every time Sam got it all he wanted to do was cut inside and lay it off !

just hope that we don't play like that next week, or we'll get stuffed !
  • edited March 2010
    Without reading the article yet, Kinsella sums it up on the OS. "it's all about the three points". Job done in the end.

I don't think we'd actually play like that if we were being tested by a better team. The game slowed down, after the second goal it seemed like Stockport knew they had lost and we were fairly comfortable, without ever looking particularly good ourselves for most of the match. Perhaps being bottom of the league their players were thinking "here we go again" as our team probably have at times in the last few years. Easy to blame Parky for the players perhaps not doing more or really going for it, but a big part of it is their limitations as players. We were close to creating chances but there were poor passes or bad decisions that make the difference.

First half there was so much space, ideal for our team especially Reid, Sam, Mooney and Racon. Either a big mistake or just a limitation of Stockport's players. You don't beat our team by letting us play. They'd have surely had a better chance of winning packing out the midfield and closing us down, something Brighton did very well. Can see why they're going down as they looked pretty poor in all areas. They created a couple of chances but most teams will even if we're playing well. They improved a bit second half but eventually we got control again.

Reid was our main threat, had a good game, much better than against Brighton but being the type of player he is, he'll always make a few bad decisions. He's the player some fans I think want Sam to be, but they are different types of wingers. Some of it is down to confidence and a bit of drive, but Sam isn't actually that quick. He can't sprint past a defender as easily as Reid. Sam I just wish we could get him into the game more, in fact Richardson as well really, a lot of the play went down the left side. They did well creating our second goal.

Bailey's passing still a little bit off, obviously he's not a top passer but unless I'm imagining it this was a player who used to rarely give away the ball.

Akpo is useful at this level, that's 3 goals in 3 games now, even if he's not a clever or technical player that's good for any striker. Typical Akpo moment was when he flicked on a header to no one, chased it himself and we won a throw out of it. He's a nuisance and I can't imagine centre backs like playing against a big strong player like him who also has a bit of pace. First 20-30 minutes I noticed he didn't seem to anticipate where the ball was going too well, probably what stops him winning as many headers as he should because when he gets it right he's got a decent leap.

Solly did ok but can see he's not comfortable on his wrong side. Like in other games at times he was forced to go for a long ball because he probably doesn't feel comfortable taking the ball up the pitch or playing a pass into the middle. He's a decent player and I like him, but I hope Jackson's injury isn't serious.

Mooney I can see more and more what's he's about now. He's actually quite a clever player, just doesn't have any pace, power or the technical ability to always pull things off, or players aren't on the same wave length. Not as good as Burton in linking the player, using his brain, but then Burton has far more experience.

As for the pitch, I'm sure it's always been better by this time of the season in other years. Is that just down the weather or something else?

Anyway like I said, I don't think (well, hope) we'd play like that against a better side. Got a win and a clean sheet in the end, it's not like Leeds or Norwich destroy their opponents every week, they must have had performances like this as well. Comfortable without every being convincing.
  • edited March 2010
    Don't quite know what to make of today. It's so long since we saw Charlton kill off a game with two goals in the first ten mins that I really can't remember whether the next 80 mins - with the points in the bag - are customarily as dull and devoid of inspiration as that.

There's going to be controversy when it comes to the match ratings, because I thought there were quite a few 5 out of 10 performances today. And when those marks are recorded on here, those who weren't there are going to wonder how you can mark them down like that when we won...

Does anybody know why Kins rather than Parky handled the post-match stuff ? .The thought struck me that Parky didn't really want to have to say: ''Yeah, we were crap today, but who cares? They were more crap than us and we got the points.''

There's probably a quite different and justifiable reason for him not being around. But in any case, that's not really such a bad thing to say in div three, is it? Let's face it, if Parky or Kins can say the same at 5pm next Saturday, it's going to get the biggest cheer of the whole bloody season !
  • [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]As for the pitch, I'm sure it's always been better by this time of the season in other years. Is that just down the weather or something else?

Probably more to do with the finances of the division we are playing in.
  • Outplayed them totally in the 1st half could've been more than two, did enough to fully deserve the points and never looked in any dangerin the 2nd. Reid was always a danger, just wish we could sign him permanently. Leeds slip up again so its game on.
  • [cite]Posted By: No.1 in South London[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]As for the pitch, I'm sure it's always been better by this time of the season in other years. Is that just down the weather or something else?

Probably more to do with the finances of the division we are playing in.
    That's the something else I was talking about.
  • We did the job and got the 3 points. Not much else to say really.

Dailly looked far more like he did earlier in the season and had Ibehere(?spelling) in his pocket. Reid looked good in the first half, faded for a while in the 2nd but came good again towards the end. Everybody's second favourite whipping boy, Mooney, ran his nuts off creating space but will only be remembered for that shanked effort towards the Covered End goal. Everybody's favourite whipping boy, Sam, seemed subdued throughout and I wonder whether that foul on him at the start of the second half slowed him up. The decline in our performance in the second half coincided with the disappearance of Racon from proceedings. Can anyone tell me what he did in the second half other than slide in late at the far post from Waggy's cross?

Llera was good throughout as was Richardson. The curse of the left back struck yet again. I hope Jacko isn't seriously hurt as he and Reid are developing a good understanding on the left hand side.

Bottom line though 3 points!
  • 3rd game in a row i've seen our own fans squaring up. Strange.

Pretty flat game after a bright start, never seen us given us so much space as they did 1st half. Can't sit back next week.

Felt a bit sorry for their support after 10 mins...!
  • Comfortable 3 points on a real pudding of a pitch that made playing passing football almost impossible. Well done to Reid for being a regular threat and to Akpo for unsettling their two giant centre halves and for another good goal. Mooney also looked good at times with a lot of running, but what a difference when Deon came on. He is a class above our other strikers and is just such a clever player.

I do fear for us if Jackson is out for very long though. Our performance dwindled away once he limped off and Solly doesn't look at all comfortable playing left back. Fingers crossed he'll be available for next week's game.
  • Jackson would be a huge loss for Saturday