Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Heroes Video

Comments

• just pissed me off royally

we used to be good but now were shit

watching stuff like that reallyt hurts
  • For the record, that Mike Flanagan goal was scored at Eastville, Bristol Rovers.

Gives a good impression of that shabby old ground which was built with a race track around the pitch, and huge semi-circular space behind the goal.

I remember when Stamford Bridge used to be like that.
  • edited March 2010
    If you're hunting footage of Bob Curtis .... I remember being at the Charlton v Derby match at The Valley in January 1969, and it was televised by ITV.

So there is film out there of the match.

We beat Brian Clough's top of the table Derby County 2-0 that day, to go 2nd;
    Ray Treacy with a brilliant strike and Matt Tees were the scorers, if I remember right.

But if you can get the footage somehow, you'll see such Charlton stalwarts as Hong Kong international Sir Charlie Wright in goal, Bobby Curtis and Brian Kinsey at fullback, Paul 'Wally' Went and Peter Reeves as centre halves; skipper and Wales international Graham Moore and Scotland U-23 Alan Campbell in centre midfield - flanked by Harry Gregory on the right and Keithie Peacock on the left.

And of course Ireland international Ray Treacy with Matt Tees up front.
    Sub was either Denis Booth or Johnny Keirs (who sadly passed away with cancer).

Manager: the Charlton legend and Italy international Eddie Firmani.
    And Ireland international, future Charlton manager, and Legends legend Theodore Cornelius Foley as player-coach.

Probably 30,000 in the ground for a Division 2 match!
  • Really good stuff charlton_hero, must take a lot of effort but your litte 4 minute video has just cheered me right up after a crap day at work.
    [cite]Posted By: ColinTat[/cite]Brilliant vid..... but has anyone got the vid of ortimer scoring against Bradford '97? Indeed most of his goals that season were awesome.

At the time I wasn't Morts' greatest fan, I think partly because I was a teenager and my Dad loved him so it was a kind of weird way of rebelling, but in the years since he left, which included a long spell in the top flight, we've never really had a player who could come close to doing the stuff he could with the ball at his feet. Maybe Di Canio, but he wasn't a wizard dribbler in the mould of Morts. That goal against Bradford was an absolute belter - beating about 4 players one after the other in a square inch of turf and then slotting it home - brilliant stuff but, as you say, he scored a few stunners that season.

There's a goal from Brownie and Sir Clive from the same match in C_H's video so I'd presume he must have Morts' goal as well - if you're after ideas, C_H, I'd say Morts is worthy of his own video.
  • edited March 2010
    Great video but why on earth did you choose to have Chris Martin singing his inane lyrics in the background?

And additionally, on your video entitled 'This is Charlton Athletic' you have someone singing:
    'This ship's sinking, we will not reach the shore.'

Couldn't you choose some more appropriate music?

I assume that you were hoping for, or at least expecting, some critical comments.
  • Some goose bumps watching that, great stuff.
  • edited March 2010
    [quote][cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]Great video but why on earth did you choose to have Chris Martin singing his inane lyrics in the background?

And additionally, on your video entitled 'This is Charlton Athletic' you have someone singing:
    'This ship's sinking, we will not reach the shore.'

Couldn't you choose some more appropriate music?

[i]I assume that you were hoping for, or at least expecting, some critical comments.[/i][/quote]

Haha, I like that song, have always wanted to do a video with that backing track. What song would you of liked then?

Choice, i'm currently studying at University, I have so much spare time I just do it as a hobbie. Your exactly right sometimes the hours just fly past, great fun though.If you wanted some clips I guess I could send them although i'm not sure if it would be to big or not?

And yeah I do have that Mortimer goal, should of put it in really, shame! Maybe a Mortimer tribute video should be my next project...
  • I could suggest lots of music I like but that's not exactly the point. I'm just suggesting that you listen to the lyrics before making a choice. Someone singing 'this ship's sinking' is clearly not good.

You might do well to do a search for 'motivational music' or suchlike.
  • It does fit well to the story of Charlton Athletic at this moment in time though, I know its negative but it rings true. Thanks for the constructive criticism though, always welcome!
  • I seem to remember Morts scoring a stunner from an acute angle at Leeds in our first Prem season, 98-99.
  • Sponsored links:

• Ch, the last time I saw jimmymelrose he was on his way to a depeche mode concert, so I would ignore anything he says about music. :-)

Stickied it because I knew people would appreciate it, but not got round to watching it myself. I'm keeping it back for when I'm in a good mood !
  • What a cracking player Bent really was such control and accuracy!

Gotta say Hales how much could we do with a poacher like him now?
  • Choice and Hero, I think both your vids are excellent and look forward to them each week.
    As for new projects, how about some early footage ( pre 90's) maybe by decades, or the Selhurst days or the Upton park season and a bit.
    If you got any footage of 2-0 win over Leicester at Upton Park,90/91/92? would love to see it as that was my favourite ever game.
    I know it was 25th April but not sure which year as it was my birthday.cheers.
  • Cheers Bartram for making it a sticky thread, let me know what you think of it when you have watched.

And as for those suggestions and all suggestions on here, i'm defiantly going to be looking in to all of them and see if i can get some more videos together.

Once again cheers for the supportive comments everyone.
  • [cite]Posted By: charlton_hero[/cite]Cheers Bartram for making it a sticky thread, let me know what you think of it when you have watched.

And as for those suggestions and all suggestions on here, i'm defiantly going to be looking in to all of them and see if i can get some more videos together.

Once again cheers for the supportive comments everyone.

Great video mate, some great memories in there.....didn't really realise how few games both Benty and Mendonca played for us really (although 31 and 40 goals respectively are fantastic stats)

love your idea of a Mortimer compilation one, one of my favourite all time players....
  • Top video mate, only thing I would do would use the kinks 'thankyou for the days' that would bring the house down matey..
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]I seem to remember Morts scoring a stunner from an acute angle at Leeds in our first Prem season, 98-99.

Another top Morts goal. Think my favourite of all was one he scored against Notts Forest in the playoff year. Can't remember if it was in the league or the cup. Seem to remember him picking the ball up towards the left within shooting range (25-30 yards out), I screamed shoot, but he chose to go past a man and widen his angle, I screamed shoot again, but he chose to beat another man, I scremed shoot but he went past another, I screamed shoot again, but he steadied himself and moved forward with the ball, now in space centrally about 18 yards out, I'm still screaming shoot but Morts is coolness personified and he just slots it nonchalantly home.

Probably not his best goal but it was a classic example of what a class player does, I think all our current lot would have just pulled the trigger at the first opportunity and probably missed because it was a tough chance, Morts was never ever hurried when he was in control of the ball and he knew from the moment he got on it where he was going and what he was going to do once he got there. He surely would've played at a higher level with a bit more personal drive and less bad luck with injuries.
  • edited March 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]
    Morts was never ever hurried when he was in control of the ball and he knew from the moment he got on it where he was going and what he was going to do once he got there.

That's always the criteria of class - a superb touch on the ball is needed, but it's the mental strength that creates the decisiveness and unhurried composure on the ball that makes all the difference.

As I posted on the Jimmy Greaves thread.
  • great vid hero!

so glad Leaburn got a mention too!
  • [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]I seem to remember Morts scoring a stunner from an acute angle at Leeds in our first Prem season, 98-99.

Another top Morts goal. Think my favourite of all was one he scored against Notts Forest in the playoff year. Can't remember if it was in the league or the cup. Seem to remember him picking the ball up towards the left within shooting range (25-30 yards out), I screamed shoot, but he chose to go past a man and widen his angle, I screamed shoot again, but he chose to beat another man, I scremed shoot but he went past another, I screamed shoot again, but he steadied himself and moved forward with the ball, now in space centrally about 18 yards out, I'm still screaming shoot but Morts is coolness personified and he just slots it nonchalantly home.

Probably not his best goal but it was a classic example of what a class player does, I think all our current lot would have just pulled the trigger at the first opportunity and probably missed because it was a tough chance, Morts was never ever hurried when he was in control of the ball and he knew from the moment he got on it where he was going and what he was going to do once he got there. He surely would've played at a higher level with a bit more personal drive and less bad luck with injuries.

That goal was unbelievable, and pretty sure it was in the League game. Seeing those 2 defenders sliding straight past him as he's just done them with consecutive dummies - priceless.

Just a shame that my last playing memory of Morts was that penalty miss against Leeds at home :(

Choice/Hero - what software do you use to make these clips? I've got mpeg versions of several end of season videos, so should be able to paste together a few Mortimer wondergoals.
  • Sponsored links:

• I could cry watching that - some true legends in there.

Mort's best one was at Maine road imo
  • Creepyaddick
    Charlton v Leicester at upton park you favourite game.LOOK AGAIN.
    David Whyte goal is the match you are talking about.
  • [cite]Posted By: dabos[/cite]Just a shame that my last playing memory of Morts was that penalty miss against Leeds at home :(

And mine too, Dabos ...... everybody seemed to know that we weren't going to get out of it, when the ball rebounded from the post.

Finished 1-1. We murdered Leeds that game, but the gods were against us that day.
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: dabos[/cite]Just a shame that my last playing memory of Morts was that penalty miss against Leeds at home :(

And mine too, Dabos ...... everybody seemed to know that we weren't going to get out of it, when the ball rebounded from the post.

Finished 1-1. We murdered Leeds that game, but the gods were against us that day.

That game also featured Graham Stuart's first goal for us, Richard Rufus being sent off for accidentally treading on one of their players, and a brilliant Martin Pringle dive. I'm going to claim Leed's problems all started because of the outrageous luck they got in this game.
  • [cite]Posted By: Lewis Coaches[/cite]Creepyaddick

To be honest, cant remember much of the game, hence why I would like to see it
    but it was a great atmosphere and ruined Leicesters promotion party!
    What year was it?
  • Gary Nelson, Sasa Ilic and Eddie Firmani deserve an honorable mention.
  • Perhaps we should have an unsung heroes compilation as well, especially for the likes of Garry Nelson, John Humphrey, Kish etc, etc
  • [cite]Posted By: creepyaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Lewis Coaches[/cite]Creepyaddick

To be honest, cant remember much of the game, hence why I would like to see it
    but it was a great atmosphere and ruined Leicesters promotion party!
    What year was it?

It was 1992, towards the end of the 1991/92 season. Think those were David Whyte's first goals for us. The goal in the video is awesome.
  • [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]Perhaps we should have an unsung heroes compilation as well, especially for the likes of Garry Nelson, John Humphrey, Kish etc, etc

Or even a Howlers compilation - you know, own goals, keeper howlers, the Mooney/Lisbie 'harder to miss than score' stuff?
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]Perhaps we should have an unsung heroes compilation as well, especially for the likes of Garry Nelson, John Humphrey, Kish etc, etc[/quote]

Or even a Howlers compilation - you know, own goals, keeper howlers, the Mooney/Lisbie 'harder to miss than score' stuff?[/quote]

definitely, could add the benny hill soundtrack to it as well