Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Who has a good memories for old adverts?

Comments

• Options
    iaitch said:
    For carpets you can afford go to Cyril Lord.
    Erm.....not quite iaitch.

”Here is luxury you can afford from Cyril Lord.”
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    When the factory whistle goes toot toot toot
    Everybody drinks Typhoo
    Oh, it’s a money saver...much better flavour
    Everybody drinks Typhoo......toot toot.
  • Options
    meldrew66 said:
    ...hands that do dishes are as soft as your face with mild green _ _ _ _ _  /  _ _ _ _ _ _ 
    Stig said:
    Wow, that takes me back. I remember having paraffin heaters as a kid.  I used to love that 'stink'.

The past is a different world.
    Ah yes, that smell.  I couldn't have been much older than 10 before I was allowed to fill up the reservoir from the cans we kept in the basement.  Even younger than that, when we had an open fire, I'd use an axe to make the kindling from the offcuts of wood Dad would brink home from work.  As you say, the past is a different world.
    Thank you so much for posting that @AddicksAddict, I too chopped kindling as a kid. You brought it back to me. Also remember playing around the coal bunker in our back garden. Seems a lifetime away now. 
  • Options
    Bring me honey 
    bring me apples
    bring me hazelnuts 
    bring me wheat,
    bring me good things to eat
    with
    Findus crispy pancakes

Not entirely sure about the last line...
  • Options
    Redskin said:
    Bring me honey 
    bring me apples
    bring me hazelnuts 
    bring me wheat,
    bring me good things to eat
    with
    Findus crispy pancakes

Not entirely sure about the last line...
    Yes, I think the last word was 'foreskins' 
  • Options
    Stig said:
    meldrew66 said:
    ...hands that do dishes are as soft as your face with mild green _ _ _ _ _  /  _ _ _ _ _ _ 
    Stig said:
    Wow, that takes me back. I remember having paraffin heaters as a kid.  I used to love that 'stink'.

Ah yes, that smell.  I couldn't have been much older than 10 before I was allowed to fill up the reservoir from the cans we kept in the basement.  Even younger than that, when we had an open fire, I'd use an axe to make the kindling from the offcuts of wood Dad would brink home from work.  As you say, the past is a different world.
    Thank you so much for posting that @AddicksAddict, I too chopped kindling as a kid. You brought it back to me. Also remember playing around the coal bunker in our back garden. Seems a lifetime away now. 
    Now we’re going off topic but I take your chopping wood as a kid and raise you with being asked by your mum to take a shovel and bucket to collect the horse shit the rag and bone man’s horse had dumped in the street outside and shovel it on the roses in the garden...still, at least domestos killed all known germs you might pick up in the process and Daz will have cleaned your clothes whiter than white...
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    If not mentioned, one of the best ones must have been the Sony Trintron one when they ‘demonstrated’ how much better quality the picture on one of their TVs was and how it was far superior to the one on your tv...except they were demonstrating it on your tv....fck knows how they got away with that one for such a long time.
  • Options
    I'm Victor Kiam...

Plus, who was that local geezer who fancied a but of personal airtime advertising is VW dealership.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Stig said:

Now we’re going off topic but I take your chopping wood as a kid and raise you with being asked by your mum to take a shovel and bucket to collect the horse shit the rag and bone man’s horse had dumped in the street outside and shovel it on the roses in the garden...still, at least domestos killed all known germs you might pick up in the process and Daz will have cleaned your clothes whiter than white...
    When we'd go out with a Nan and Grandad, there'd always be a sack and shovel in the boot for collecting any road apples we'd pass, then Grandad, too, would put it on his roses when we got home.

Some people say you should put horse manure on rhubarb, but I prefer double cream myself.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    This mock ad 'Not for astronauts', makes me laugh, but I'm easily pleased.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0Cjo1MWGZg

Just like the space fights in Star Wars, you wouldn't hear the monster's roars or the guff.  Remember, "in Space, No One Can Hear You Scream".
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The Brook Bond chimpanzees were always great.
  • Options
    I'm surprised no one's mentioned the fellatio that aired on prime time TV, purporting to be an ad for Cadbury's Flake.
  • Options
    This is why I've always been a fan of the BBC:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86CZQGdxyMs

I have never seen that Lub A Club advert. Maybe it wasn't shown in London. But as I am a huge fan of Jimmy Buffett, I immediately recognised the tune as his song Volcano. Very surprised!

There were some great ad campaigns years ago and many of the best were for alcoholic drinks: Leonard Rossiter and Joan Collins for Cinzano; Heineken refreshes the parts other beers cannot reach; Double Diamond works wonders; John Smiths with Peter Kay; Courage Best Chas n Dave ads; try a taste of Martini; Carling Black Label, usually with Stephen Frost and Mark Arden; Guinness had some great campaigns, as well as some awful ones (e.g. Friends of the Guinless).

• Options
    iaitch said:

Ok got that wrong, another carpet one '1001 cleans a big big carpet'.
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    iaitch said:

Ok got that wrong, another carpet one '1001 cleans a big big carpet'.
    and for less than half-a-crown!
  • Options
    Maxell....break the sound barrier
  • Options
    Stig said:
    meldrew66 said:
    Stig said:

And I raise you when your mother noticed you were ill and sent you out to breathe in the fumes from newly laid tarmac as a cure.
  • Options
    Talking of tarmac - do you remember Famel Syrup and Pastilles- my Dad swore by it - smelt of creosote, but tasted great.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Talking of tarmac - do you remember Famel Syrup and Pastilles- my Dad swore by it - smelt of creosote, but tasted great.  
    That’s because it ‘was’ creosote.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Sorry, but for people of a certain age this is right up there as the best campaign ever...

Just Google "its frothy man" youngsters, you are in for a treat.

• Options
    R Whites lemonade , I'm a secret lemonade drinker
  • Options

Possibly one of the best print campaigns was the B&H gold packet as, e.g. one of the pyramids at Giza or a can of sardines with part of the top peeled back.  There were quite a few more and they were generally very clever.
  • Options

Possibly one of the best print campaigns was the B&H gold packet as, e.g. one of the pyramids at Giza or a can of sardines with part of the top peeled back.  There were quite a few more and they were generally very clever.
    A mate of mine found out he was colour blind when as a young graphic artist on one of his first assignments he was given the job of airbrushing B&H adverts, and got the colours wrong. His career was never the same after that.
  • Options
    It came right out of the green 
  • Options
    Pastel picking mama, put those pastels down. A finger of fudge. Texan bar sure takes time.
  • Options
    I remember their was an advert for SKOL lager. I can't remember what the competition on the advert involved (early 80s). We won the competition & received 2 massive tankards SK & OL.  We must of been 10-12ish.