Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

facebook

Comments

• Options
    I agree. Although when i've complained about something "destructive" on there before, its been removed in literally a couple of minutes. As for the Raoul Moat "legend" group surely they can't do anything about that as its freedom of speech?
  • Options
    Okay Carly, but what about the people like me who just use it to keep in touch and share photos with family and (real)friends around the country?
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    If Paedo's ARE (which I doubt) using facebook to share photos then what an easy way for the police to catch them.

Facebook just installed a panic button after being asked to do so, so they are prepared to do something about it.

Thought I was reading the daily mail for a minute there.
  • Options
    Currently got a bloke on there in Bermuda who did a runner from court yesterday. Facebooking all of his mates and them all replying. Clever.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: charlton_hero[/cite]As for the Raoul Moat "legend" group surely they can't do anything about that as its freedom of speech?

Freedom to make an effing moron of yourself and insult the famliies of all concerned more like. They Police should get the details of every single one of those that posted stuff in support (can hardly believe I'm typing that) of him and as a minimum cross reference it against the firearms records. If a single one of them is found to be a firearms holder they should have their licence revoked and the gun seized immediately. No arguement , no appeal, you're just not the sort of person we want having access to firearms.
  • Options
    Well you can't go around controlling people like that, the police already have way too much power IMHO. The fact is, its a SICK group and i'm not defending it, but if they did delete it, then they run the risk of upsetting family members/friends of the deceased Raoul Moat.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Six-a-bag-of-nuts[/cite]Okay Carly, but what about the people like me who just use it to keep in touch and share photos with family and (real)friends around the country?

Sorry sixy.I'm afraid it's a case of a few irresponsibles ruining it for the rest in my book.If it can't be kept 100% clean then it's got to go.

And another thing.What do you facebookers find to talk about when you actually meet people in the FLESH? ...... . Seeing as the night before you told your hundreds of imaginary friends that you "filled the car up with diesel " or told them how many sheets of bog roll it took to wipe your arse!
  • Options
    daily mail must be creaming their pants with some of the views on here
  • Options
    the moat lovers are sick f****** looking for a reaction and it looks like they got it.

Not a reason to ban FB.

If you ban FB then why not CL or any other internet message board.

Its the message that is wrong not the medium.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    [cite]Posted By: carly burn[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Six-a-bag-of-nuts[/cite]Okay Carly, but what about the people like me who just use it to keep in touch and share photos with family and (real)friends around the country?

Sorry sixy.I'm afraid it's a case of a few irresponsibles ruining it for the rest in my book.If it can't be kept 100% clean then it's got to go.
    What - like 'real life'? What are you going to do - ban computers? Or mobile phones? or public toilets? or grown men meeting each other in their own homes?

Honestly - how naive do you have to be to think that banning Facebook will stop (or even put a dent in) paedophilia? Or do you think that the percentage of people who eroticise children is on the increase? (Despite every single study saying that it has fallen or, at the very least, remained at exactly the same ridiculously rare percentage of the population it always has done?)

What evidence do you have that Facebook is "A place where peodophiles can gang up in their hundreds and share stories and photos of their 'conquests'"? I've never seen anything that suggests this is true. But that's OK - just because a few people (who don't use or understand Facebook) believe that it might theoretically be used in that way, lets ban it completely and stop a million British people from using it.

All aboard the clue train... Wooo Woooooo - next stop is you.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    whats face book ?
  • Options
    hahaha
  • Options
    The most cathartic thing I've done for ages was junk my facebook page. I genuinely can't see why a grown-up would want to use it. It's one more thing to maintain, at a horrible time-cost to better stuff like physically being with your family, your mates, your band, your bicycle, your cats or a good newspaper or book.

It just seems like an utter waste of time. Apparently I'm ruining my 11 year old's life by not letting him on it, but its overall contribution to the quality of his classmates' lives seems to be to ensure that fights happen over perceived slights that would ahve been totally forgotten by teh next day when I was at Eglinton Junior Mixed!

Daughter in Cambodia emails me every other day,
    myspace for music,
    photobox for photos
    pubs or Gambadellas for a chat
    Charlton life to be entertained and informed (and hugely helped out by some ace people)

That'll do.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]

What - like 'real life'? What are you going to do - ban computers? Or mobile phones? or public toilets? or grown men meeting each other in their own homes?

Honestly - how naive do you have to be to think that banning Facebook will stop (or even put a dent in) paedophilia? Or do you think that the percentage of people who eroticise children is on the increase? (Despite every single study saying that it has fallen or, at the very least, remained at exactly the same ridiculously rare percentage of the population it always has done?)

What evidence do you have that Facebook is "A place where peodophiles can gang up in their hundreds and share stories and photos of their 'conquests'"? I've never seen anything that suggests this is true. But that's OK - just because a few people (who don't use or understand Facebook) believe that it might theoretically be used in that way, lets ban it completely and stop a million British people from using it.

"Don't understand facebook". Are you for real? What's to understand? complete and utter pish for sad F*****s who spend there life telling a group of people that they hardly know how much fluff they just pulled out of their belly button.Hardly gonna give stephen Hawkin sleepless nights.

As far as evidence goes ,what about the very recent dispicable case of the nursery teacher nonces that were photographing their pupils/victims and posting them and a load of sick stories on it. Strong enough for you? Or is that just freedom of speech?
  • Options
    edited July 2010

"Don't understand facebook". Are you for real? What's to understand? complete and utter pish for sad F*****s who spend there life telling a group of people that they hardly know how much fluff they just pulled out of their belly button.Hardly gonna give stephen Hawkin sleepless nights.

As far as evidence goes ,what about the very recent dispicable case of the nursery teacher nonces that were photographing their pupils/victims and posting them and a load of sick stories on it. Strong enough for you? Or is that just freedom of speech?
    So - one case then, yeah? A case where the very fact that the imbeciles in question were stupid enough to post their intentions on Facebook quickly led the old Bill to them (which would not have been the case had they shared them either in person or using a closed-membership Internet site), which, in turn, led to their arrest and subsequent incarceration?

I await the 'hundreds' of other cases you claim as evidence that Facebook should be shut down. If that's the only one you have, then quite contrary to your argument, I would suggest that Facebook is actually HELPING the Daily Mail brigade's crusade against paedophiles, since it now heightens the chance that the stupider amongst them will be caught and banged up for it.

Face it, your argument is knee-jerk reactionary childishness. You might as well say that drinking should be banned because selling alcohol to adults means that children may have access to it in the home, or that kissing should be banned because it can lead to STDs.

And your laughable response about Facebook serves only to reinforce the fact that you know nothing about it. Perhaps if you had paid attention in school instead of flicking bogeys at the smart kids sat in front of you, you would have the ability to construct a sentence, spelling above that of the average ten year old, and the ability to understand that just because you don't like, use or understand something, doesn't mean it's the sole premise of Internet nerds, bored housewives and attention-seeking teens.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    It has its merits.

When I lived in Brighton, you were sent invites from a ton of different nights in various clubs, pubs and bars. A much better resource than the local 'whatson' mag, which was a pile of tosh. Gave you a great idea of where you'd be heading, and you usually got discount for putting your name on their group wall.

Keeps you in contact with people you may otherwise fall out of contact with completely. Would you say friends reunited is a waste of time for saddos? I've got back into contact with loads of people from my school days.

Keeps you updated. My best mate went travelling around Asia about six months ago. Now I can go to his page and see not only all of his photos (which would frankly be a nightmare to email and trawl through), but photos of him that other people have taken and tagged him in - photos I would never see otherwise. Not to mention the fact I can generally keep in contact with him on there.

And the photos thing goes for me, too. I have photos that date back from aaages ago, photos that I would never have otherwise seen but people have uploaded and tagged me in.

As for the fluff, I guess you mean status updates. Well they make up about 0.01% of facebook's features. And not everyone bothers using them.
  • Options
    I love spacebook and myface
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    reading this thread tonight reminded me of this, how utterly ridiculous:

Linky
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Six-a-bag-of-nuts[/cite] bored housewives .

What Bored housewives i never knew that face book here i come

Cheers Leroy

by the way i dont use face book but what Leroy said seems pretty sensible to me and a logical reason as to why you shouldnt ban things like this.

I do think though taht morally they should remove the page for Raol Moat the same as flowers should be removed from his last resting place.

he was a drug riddled murderer.

not a super hero
  • Options

So - one case then, yeah? A case where the very fact that the imbeciles in question were stupid enough to post their intentions on Facebook quickly led the old Bill to them (which would not have been the case had they shared them either in person or using a closed-membership Internet site), which, in turn, led to their arrest and subsequent incarceration?

I await the 'hundreds' of other cases you claim as evidence that Facebook should be shut down. If that's the only one you have, then quite contrary to your argument, I would suggest that Facebook is actually HELPING the Daily Mail brigade's crusade against paedophiles, since it now heightens the chance that the stupider amongst them will be caught and banged up for it.

Face it, your argument is knee-jerk reactionary childishness. You might as well say that drinking should be banned because selling alcohol to adults means that children may have access to it in the home, or that kissing should be banned because it can lead to STDs.

And your laughable response about Facebook serves only to reinforce the fact that you know nothing about it. Perhaps if you had paid attention in school instead of flicking bogeys at the smart kids sat in front of you, you would have the ability to construct a sentence, spelling above that of the average ten year old, and the ability to understand that just becauseyoudon't like, use or understand something, doesn't mean it's the sole premise of Internet nerds, bored housewives and attention-seeking teens.

Amazed that you use facebook as some sort of educational barometer.It was voted the number one past time by guests on the Jeremy Kyle show FFS.

If adults choose to give their kids access alcohol then that's their lookout.But if an off licence is found to be selling alcohol to minors then I would expect them to be severely reprimanded.
    So in the same context, I would also expect a social networking site that is accessed by millions to act responsibly when a group is set up to worship a child beating murderer.Sitting back nonchalantly with your feet on the table doesn't cut it for me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    my daughter has now not just de added me but also blocked me lol
  • Options

Giving your baseless opinions to a world of people you don't know? Bit like a chat forum really....
  • Options
    Er, Carly, they were only asked to install a child's panic button. Which they willingly did. I wouldn't call that sitting back nonchalantly. You don't really seem to like to deal in facts...
  • Options
    I work on allot of facebook stuff.

Its a great tool, but you do have to be careful about it all.

Privacy is a severe issue - check this out
  • Options
    Just need to know how to use the privacy settings.
  • Options
    The Moat appreciation society has been taken down, thank goodness
  • Options
    Can someone on here link to the talksport website and link the ian collins show podcast where he challenges the woman who started the facebook page.

totally mugs here off.

Leroy if thats what the desperate housewives are like buddy you can keep em ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]Can someone on here link to the talksport website and link the ian collins show podcast where he challenges the woman who started the facebook page.

totally mugs here off.

Leroy if thats what the desperate housewives are like buddy you can keep em ;-)

In answer to his final question. Yes, quite possibly.
  • Options
    Kinda ironic that TalkSport is getting excited about the Raoul Moat page on FB when they employed Jon Gaunt who never hesitated to step into the gutter.
  • Options
    I like Facebook:
    Its says I have over 200 "friends"......
    ;-)