Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bridge withdraws from international football

Comments

• Options
    Brilliant, Plaaayer. :D
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]"It has always been an honour to play for England. However, after careful thought I believe my position in the squad is now untenable and potentially divisive.
    Sadly therefore I feel for the sake of the team and in order to avoid what will be inevitable distractions, I have decided not to put myself forward for selection."

I think the quotes 'potentially divisive' and 'inevitable distractions' say it all really.
    Exactly Large. If he'd gone to the World Cup, you can guarantee the tabloids would be pointing to the slightest thing as evidence of "division in the camp", and I wouldn't put it past some bright spark at the FA to suggest a reconciliation photoshoot just prior to the tournament in an attempt to avert that, which would totally stick in the throat. And then there's all the fun they could have had speculating about whether his ex will bring his son along to see his Daddy play at the World Cup, and the prospect of a WAG catfight between her and Terry's Mrs, and that's before we even get to the matches themselves. Imagine if there was a defensive mix-up between Bridge and Terry that led to us conceding an important goal; the press'd have a field day, and I reckon there'd be a reasonable chance of a repeat of the Hales-Flanagan punch up if Terry went off on one at him about it. What wonders that would do for our 2018 bid...

At least dropping out now means that one avenue of possible speculation is knocked on the head.
  • Options
    Unprofessional would have been to go to the world cup and him and Terry have a huge punch up.

Fair play to Bridge I say. Must have been an awful decision to make but it's clearly been done with the best interests of the team in mind.
  • Options
    It was inevitable. There was always a strong possibility that Capello wouldn't take them both to the World Cup and it was obvious that it wouldnt be Terry who was left behind.
  • Options
    Feel sorry for him, but this was almost an inevitable decision. For those that are slagging him off be very interested to see how they would react if it had happened to them, I would guess with a lot less dignity than Wayne Bridge.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]Feel sorry for him, but this was almost an inevitable decision. For those that are slagging him off be very interested to see how they would react if it had happened to them, I would guess with a lot less dignity than Wayne Bridge.

spot on....wonder how Bridge will feel come saturday lunchtime
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]Feel sorry for him, but this was almost an inevitable decision. For those that are slagging him off be very interested to see how they would react if it had happened to them, I would guess with a lot less dignity than Wayne Bridge.

hear hear .... it'll be interesting to see what happens at stamford bridge , will the chelsea fans rip the piss out of bridges , will he wont he shake hands with terry ....
  • Options

Agreed again, imagine it happening to you in the first place let alone everyone in the country knowing about it and then supporters taking the piss every week.
    He probably knows that Terry is more integral to the England set-up so as he said his inclusion could provide a split in the camp so has taken himself out to prevent that situation.
    My respect for Bridge has gone up tenfold and I'd love to see him spit in Terry's face come the handshake at the weekend.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Red5[/cite]For those of you who said he's selfish or over-reacting, consider this:

Your girlfriend shags your mate in the office and he sits on the next desk to you. Do you go back to work then and still work perfectly well sitting next to the guy who did that (publicly) to you. I think not, anyone who says otherwise, is deluding themselves.

I'd agree with you if she was his girlfriend at the time but he'd moved 250 miles away and then split up with her. Yes Terry is a pr*ck and shouldn't have done it, but i still feel Bridge should have risen above it.
  • Options
    its not even the Ross rule then: "they were on a break"
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can see why he's made the decision but wonder if, in a few years time once the pain has gone and he's moved on, he will regret not being involved in the pinnacle of any footballer's career.
  • Options
    I admire Bridge for doing that. He cant drop it in his head (and i still believe there was probably a lapover which he might know about) but doesnt want to cause problems within the camp and knows Terry is the bigger player.

He must be gutted tho.
  • Options
    I wish wayne & cheryl find each other and drive off into the sunset
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]I admire Bridge for doing that. He cant drop it in his head (and i still believe there was probably a lapover which he might know about) but doesnt want to cause problems within the camp and knows Terry is the bigger player.

I think you'll find it's his ex missus who knows whether Terry is the bigger "player" or not!
  • Options
    Agree that Bridge is showing a lot more dignity than some of his colleagues.

It's his decision to make and he's made it, said his piece and will now shut up.
  • Options
    Foolish boy ill advised IMO may as well have just said he is resigning from English football,

we dont need a coward out there any how
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]Foolish boy ill advised IMO may as well have just said he is resigning from English football,

we dont need a coward out there any how

That's rubbish, how on earth is he a coward?
  • Options
    Because he should be able to think about himself and his future and his countries needs over if his missus has had a bit with John Terry

this is the world cup a once in a lifetime chance it is JT who should be ashamed not him
  • Options
    If only Terry had withdrew...
  • Options
    hardly a coward tho is he? thats stupid. he cant deal with the issues and probably wants to punch terry so is standing aside without messing up team spirit.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]this is the world cup a once in a lifetime chance
    Not really - he went in 2006. ;-)
  • Options
    Look at the prestige gained by our players who won in 1966.
    If we were to win now what is he going to feel like.
    He ll feel like hes won the lottery and lost the ticket.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]Because he should be able to think about himself and his future and his countries needs over if his missus has had a bit with John Terry

this is the world cup a once in a lifetime chance it is JT who should be ashamed not him

And how would it help him or the country if the whole thing was to erupt during the world cup?

There's no doubt that having the 2 of them in the same camp would effect team spirit. Seems to me that he is putting the team before himself and I don't see that as the act of a coward.
  • Options
    The fact that he said it may be divisive would suggest there are already people in the squad who are pissed off with Terry or who are on Team Bridge.

Think Terry has screwed it up already.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Barn Door Varney[/cite]
    [cite aria-level=0 aria-posinset=0 aria-setsize=0]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]Because he should be able to think about himself and his future and his countries needs over if his missus has had a bit with John Terry

And how would it help him or the country if the whole thing was to erupt during the world cup?

There's no doubt that having the 2 of them in the same camp would effect team spirit. Seems to me that he is putting the team before himself and I don't see that as the act of a coward.

in my opinion Wayne Bridge should not let this come between his football and his country he should be man enough and professional enough to not let a piece of shit like JT to allow this to happen

in my opinion he jas took the easy way out and that is cowardly

bridges son "dad why didnt you go to the world cup fabio had picked you for 7 out of 9 games before he must have thought you were good enough"

Wayne " i couldnt play in the same team as John Terry "

Son "Why"

Bridge "Principles son principles after what he did to my life"

Son " oh well so long as you dont regret not having a winners meadl like the rest of them dad"

Surely surely for the good of the England team they both could be man enough to sort this out we potentially have no crashly cole and now no bridge leaving us with Leighton Baines and who

he is a coward he has walked away instead of fronting it out
  • Options
    Oh I see sorry crack on terry and send us the vid, because your the better player

Actually I do think that, like that false choice over picking either Terry or Bridge, cause Cappello was never going to drop Terry.

Anyway, at least it means we'll take decent cover for Cole if fit, instead of someone who is amazingly average
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]Son " oh well so long as you dont regret not having a winners meadl like the rest of them dad"

You're just the man I need to count these chickens I have.

;-)
  • Options
    Bridge to be sent off against Chelsea 33-1 with Coral worth a fiver in my books :)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nickaspanner[/cite]Bridge to be sent off against Chelsea 33-1 with Coral worth a fiver in my books :)

If I was him I'd take the 3 game ban to go 'straight through him'....bet he'd feel a whole lot better after !