Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bridge withdraws from international football

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/8536491.stm

Comments

• Can't blame him really. Even if him and John Terry were fine, it would still be awkward for others feeling like they're stepping on egg shells around them. A big shame but these things happen when you're a dirty dog or you go out with a dirty dog. Hope Ashley can get fit in time and Terry doesn't attract Cheryl.
  • Could be bad news imo for England, Bridge is our second best left back and with Ashley out for the foreseeable not sure who will fill in. I prefer Warnock at Villa to Baines!
  • Bet that was an easy decision your mate and your bird do the dirty on you and you miss the world cup great
  • selfish if you ask me

but I guess its a little understandable

any ideas what our defence will look like for the WC2010?

Terry looks out of sorts
    Rio is crocked
    Glen Johnson is crocked
    GNev is crap
    Cole is crocked
    Jagielka is crocked
    Lescott is crap
    Woodgate and King are made of china

and who should play in goal?

Englands defence worries me
  • And Upson is toilet, too slow!

Gary Cahill is crocked aswell.

Who should play in goal? Not James
  • It must really have bothered him then because making that decision must've been a massive one to make.

Missing Egypt, fair enough because it was too early but missing the World Cup is a massive massive decision.
  • He should be the bigger man and rise above it. Everyone has got sympathy for him over the Terry affair but now he just looks like an idiot. If he doesn't want to play for his country then f*ck him, it's his loss. He is a PROFESSIONAL and this is the World Cup.
  • [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]He should be the bigger man and rise above it. Everyone has got sympathy for him over the Terry affair but now he just looks like an idiot. If he doesn't want to play for his country then f*ck him, it's his loss. He is a PROFESSIONAL and this is the World Cup.

If you say so, things are so simple really
  • [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]He should be the bigger man and rise above it. Everyone has got sympathy for him over the Terry affair but now he just looks like an idiot. If he doesn't want to play for his country then f*ck him, it's his loss. He is a PROFESSIONAL and this is the World Cup.

I disagree....not sure I could rise above it to be honest.
  • [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]selfish if you ask me

my initial reaction as well.

Life is bigger than football and Terry should be ashamed for what he did, and as well for the circumstances he has done it in. No complaints there whatsoever.

But I think at the end of the day Bridge is destroying his own career on his own accord. Where is the spirit that he's been working since he was about 10 years old to be in this position now and he's not going to give it up whatever obstacle is thrown before him. He's let Terry, that girl, the whole "footballer" mentality and the media win. That's what's the worst part. By all accounts, he is a shy and reserved guy. I can't see the majority of others doing something similar in his position.

In terms of the impact on the team though... Not a shred of difference between Bridge, Baines or Warnock. No big 'footballing' loss.

Whatever the circumstances, he should get over it, pull the shirt on and not throw his career in the bin.
  • Sponsored links:

• Feel very sorry for the fella and wouldnt be suprised if the trauma its caused him doesnt affect his whole game including domestically.

Hope you are proud Terry and French bird...what a lovely pair of cnuts.
  • I don't buy it, a team mate has an affair with his ex, so what, get a grip and move on
  • [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]selfish if you ask me

Life is bigger than football and Terry should be ashamed for what he did, and as well for the circumstances he has done it in. No complaints there whatsoever.

But I think at the end of the day Bridge is destroying his own career on his own accord. Where is the spirit that he's been working since he was about 10 years old to be in this position now and he's not going to give it up whatever obstacle is thrown before him. He's let Terry, that girl, the whole "footballer" mentality and the media win. That's what's the worst part. By all accounts, he is a shy and reserved guy. I can't see the majority of others doing something similar in his position.

In terms of the impact on the team though... Not a shred of difference between Bridge, Baines or Warnock. No big 'footballing' loss.

Whatever the circumstances, he should get over it, pull the shirt on and not throw his career in the bin.

How is he throwing his career in the bin? At the end of the day, playing for your country is an honour (and he says so), but it's something you do on the side. It's not his job, so if it upsets him to do it, then of course it's understandable for him to pull out. The World Cup is only good for the career of lesser known players or those from minor countries. Bridge plays for Man City - he'll be fine careerwise with or without the World Cup.

It's a rough decision to have to make. I won't congratulate him for making it, but I recognise that.
  • For those of you who said he's selfish or over-reacting, consider this:

Your girlfriend shags your mate in the office and he sits on the next desk to you. Do you go back to work then and still work perfectly well sitting next to the guy who did that (publicly) to you. I think not, anyone who says otherwise, is deluding themselves.

Terry is a complete prick and is back with his bird, carrying on as if its yesterdays news. I hope he misses the world cup through injury or something, perhaps a two-footed flying tackle from Bridge when City play them soon.
  • [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]I don't buy it, a team mate has an affair with his ex, so what, get a grip and move on

Mother of his children and his best mate. Dont think there should be the media hoo ha that came with it but complete wrong uns the pair of them in my book and I can imagine a lot of people would struggle to work with a colleague who did that without wanting to nut them everytime they were in the vicinity.
  • [cite]Posted By: IA[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]selfish if you ask me

How is he throwing his career in the bin? At the end of the day, playing for your country is an honour (and he says so), but it's something you do on the side. It's not his job, so if it upsets him to do it, then of course it's understandable for him to pull out. The World Cup is only good for the career of lesser known players or those from minor countries. Bridge plays for Man City - he'll be fine careerwise with or without the World Cup.

It's a rough decision to have to make. I won't congratulate him for making it, but I recognise that.

I don't see the world cup as ancillary to a football career. I personally see it as the pinnacle. Maybe that's why we've not won it for a while ;-)
  • Two things

1. It's only Wayne Bridge, and not Wayne Rooney
    2. Bridge is 4th best left back in the country at the moment anyway
  • [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Two things

I think Terry would be in hospital by now if he dicked about with Rooney's missus.
  • Footballing wise we will cope. Baines to me is very underrated and deserves a chance.

As Isaw says though I do wonder if he is cutting off his nose to spite his face but can completely understand the mental anguish he must have gone through. It is a shame from his personal viewpoint only that he was unable to find the mental strength to say I've done nothing wrong I'm not going to let Terry and the tart win by quitting England. Let them drop me if that is what they want to do. Tough thing to do though.
  • "It has always been an honour to play for England. However, after careful thought I believe my position in the squad is now untenable and potentially divisive.
    Sadly therefore I feel for the sake of the team and in order to avoid what will be inevitable distractions, I have decided not to put myself forward for selection."

I think the quotes 'potentially divisive' and 'inevitable distractions' say it all really. Shame as I feel Terry should have done the decent thing and stood down.
  • Sponsored links:

I agree Chris. It was his EX, not his girlfriend at the time.

Warnock is better anyway. Last time i saw Bridge play for England (Friendly at wembley - Germany?) he was dire.
  • If he stayed, I'm not sure how he could win.

He gets picked - people say that Baines or Warnock or whatever is better and that Bridge was only picked out of sympathy.

He doesn't get picked - people say it's the right decision because the team dynamic would suffer and it'd have to be him or Terry and Terry's too important yadda yadda yadda.

Lose-lose
  • They're a squad packed full of adulterers, brothel-keepers and drug cheats, bar Milner holding the coats and tapping his watch impatiently. If we want to win, which is what I want, we pick the best players including JT. If we want to uphold some noble corinthian ideal, we drop the whole sorry lot of them and have Wayne Bridge as captain holding the Daily Mail
  • [cite]Posted By: IA[/cite]He gets picked - people say that Baines or Warnock or whatever is better and that Bridge was only picked out of sympathy.

anyone with a footballing brain would know Capello wouldnt do such a thing.
  • [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: IA[/cite]He gets picked - people say that Baines or Warnock or whatever is better and that Bridge was only picked out of sympathy.

anyone with a footballing brain would know Capello wouldnt do such a thing.

People say this sort of crap all the time. Maybe they don't have footballing brains, I don't know, but that's what some people would say.
  • [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Two things

Oh I see sorry crack on terry and send us the vid, because your the better player
  • [cite]Posted By: RodneyCharltonTrotta[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Two things

1. It's only Wayne Bridge, and notWayne Rooney

I think Terry would be in hospital by now if he dicked about with Rooney's missus.

Why whats Colleen got?
  • Call for Sir Chris...... Is he still playing ?
  • chelsea vs man city this weekend too.

This came out before bridge announced his decision Wayne Bridge

It says bridge is devastated and is unsure if he can shake hands with terry before the chelsea game. I thought it was probably nonsense when i first read it because it's all from 'a source close to wayne bridge', but his retirement from international football backs it up a bit.

It also says there's been no contact between terry and bridge since it all became public.
  • Inevitable really wasn't it? I think those that are saying it doesn't matter as it's only Bridge might reconsider their point of view if it were a more central player to the squad/team or would they be equally happy to see Rooney, for instance making the same decision? Who's to say it mightn't be someone else next time...