Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

walsall v charlton - post match views

Comments

• [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]for me from the 45 mins i saw the best thing to emerge is Waggy gets more confident with every game he plays apart from Millwall he does done very well.And Solly looked very good to more youngsters to look forward to watching.I think whether people like it or not we are going to have to get used to the fact this is where we will be getting our players from and this is our level as I feel we are going to come up a little short.Dailly seems tired to me and is getting caught for pace more and more often,and this is not a critisms as i really admired his attitude.
    Wasn't there last night but I agree, apart from Millwall, Wagstaff looks so much more
    confident. Parky is doing a good job bringing him through, shows how important confidence and belief is for young players. Even more so for wingers who on a bad day can look very poor players.

He's trying things he never had the confidence to do when Pardew first played him, doesn't look so nervous now.

As for Solly I've always thought he'd do well, at least at this level. Have to remember he hasn't even got any experience out on loan, even after turning pro early like Wright, Arter and Shelvey all did.
  • Can't remember the lads name who called me an armchair supporter for not going to Swindon the other week, (couldn't get a ticket) would like to hear his comments on your armchair fans after only 450 made the Walsall trip, we also played them away on a Tuesday night,
    Att: 8483 (3679 Leeds),
  • [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]found his substitution weird as Basey offered nothing.

We were getting a lot of corners and free kicks at the time, I think Basey was chucked on in the hope he'd produce a killer dead ball.

Could have been because it was Solly's first game back from injury too!
  • edited February 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Oaky white[/cite]Can't remember the lads name who called me an armchair supporter for not going to Swindon the other week, (couldn't get a ticket) would like to hear his comments on your armchair fans after only 450 made the Walsall trip, we also played them away on a Tuesday night,

making a comparison between our two clubs is laughable... I expect Leeds to take 3k+ everywhere they go, they are in the top ten clubs in this country

in all fairness, can I ask if you are disappointed by some of your home gates, in comparison to the size of the city/club/fanbase? Would you have thought you'd be closer to full capacity in most league games given that things finally seem to be coming together for you and the cup run hype etc.
  • do you not think that taking 450 though is very poor considering we've only lost 3 times this season?
  • [cite]Posted By: Oaky white[/cite]Can't remember the lads name who called me an armchair supporter for not going to Swindon the other week, (couldn't get a ticket) would like to hear his comments on your armchair fans after only 450 made the Walsall trip, we also played them away on a Tuesday night,

Hope you beat the yids tonight you armchair
  • edited February 2010
    [cite]Posted By: ThreadKiller[/cite]do you not think that taking 450 though is very poor considering we've only lost 3 times this season?

I think it's pretty horrific! I'm not defending that crap number one jot, quite the opposite for an away game two hours drive away. I got in at 2 after dossing around in New Street and Derby at X o'clock freezing my nuts off on the way back north. Plenty of the 446 would have had similarly tiresome journeys, shame too many are not that bothered, but the away supporter debate has been flogged to death on here and I think the split in opinion has just been accepted.
  • Nobody booing last night though.

Same performance at home - booing guaranteed.
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Nobody booing last night though.

Same performance at home - booing guaranteed.

true supporters get diluted at home

I really don't understand any boos not after the whistle, nothing wrong with shouting angrily that's what football's about
  • edited February 2010
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oaky white[/cite]Can't remember the lads name who called me an armchair supporter for not going to Swindon the other week, (couldn't get a ticket) would like to hear his comments on your armchair fans after only 450 made the Walsall trip, we also played them away on a Tuesday night,

making a comparison between our two clubs is laughable... I expect Leeds to take 3k+ everywhere they go, they are in the top ten clubs in this country

in all fairness, can I ask if you are disappointed by some of your home gates, in comparison to the size of the city/club/fanbase? Would you have thought you'd be closer to full capacity in most league games given that things finally seem to be coming together for you and the cup run hype etc.
    Yes i am disappointed with our home gates considering our position in the league etc, and what annoys me more is the fact there will be 38,000+ tonight. i wasn't having a go just found it amusing that somebody called me an armchair fan when only 450 of you made it last night.Hope we do the yids tonight and whilst on the subject of away followings they sent nearly 1000 tickets back LOL.
  • Sponsored links:

• Heard they are taking c. 3,200 so did indeed send tickets back.

Hope Leeds get the job done tonight.
  • I don't, I've lumped on Spurs @ 5/6
  • Hello. Walsall fan here.

Yesterdays game was ok match. Both teams had there chances (you more so) but i think Walsall gave a good acount of our selves. The pitch was shocking but no one can blame it on that, it was the same for both sides. The ref was TERRIBLE! Gave Mattis a yellow card for a good challange. Deeney (who got sent off) shouldnt of been. The 2nd challange was a booking but the first deserved a long talking to, not a card. The penalty shouldnt of been one. Vincent got the ball and Racon i think it was went down to easily. But he was in the box and thats what you are taught to do. Get caught in the box you go down. We could of had a penalty. Byfield had his legs took from under him in the 2nd half. Maybe went down a bit easily but as i said about your penalty, you get caught you go down. It wasnt given but no hard feelings to Charlton.

I was a little disapointed with your support. When you look at Norwich last tuesday, who brought 1200 fans and you brought 500 at best on a night with the same kid of weather.

When Burton put the penalty away (that was quiet lucky) its nice to see him show respect and not to celebrate against a former club. Always nice to see that is.

I think 1-1 was a fair result on both teams. Best of look for the rest of the season, you could go up but i do think Leeds and Southampton are much better sides overall. All the best for the rest of the season.
  • Yids might have a wasted journey its snowing like fooook here in Leeds now.
  • [cite]Posted By: walsall-fan[/cite]
    I was a little disapointed with your support. When you look at Norwich last tuesday, who brought 1200 fans and you brought 500 at best on a night with the same kid of weather.

I'll freely admit our away following is lower than it should be, but as the home ends were about 3/4 empty I'm surprised you've got the cheek to come on and criticise! ;-)
  • Not to mention the 120 at Charlton on a sunny August afternoon
  • [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]Not to mention the 120 at Charlton on a sunny August afternoon

As many as that?

I thought they all came together in just 3 taxis.
  • [cite]Posted By: walsall-fan[/cite]Hello. Walsall fan here.

Yesterdays game was ok match. Both teams had there chances (you more so) but i think Walsall gave a good acount of our selves. The pitch was shocking but no one can blame it on that, it was the same for both sides. The ref was TERRIBLE! Gave Mattis a yellow card for a good challange. Deeney (who got sent off) shouldnt of been. The 2nd challange was a booking but the first deserved a long talking to, not a card. The penalty shouldnt of been one. Vincent got the ball and Racon i think it was went down to easily. But he was in the box and thats what you are taught to do. Get caught in the box you go down. We could of had a penalty. Byfield had his legs took from under him in the 2nd half. Maybe went down a bit easily but as i said about your penalty, you get caught you go down. It wasnt given but no hard feelings to Charlton.

When Burton put the penalty away (that was quiet lucky) its nice to see him show respect and not to celebrate against a former club. Always nice to see that is.

I think 1-1 was a fair result on both teams. Best of look for the rest of the season, you could go up but i do think Leeds and Southampton are much better sides overall. All the best for the rest of the season.

Not sure you needed to start this with "Walsall fan here" Think we might have guessed that after reading your quite one sided opinion on every decision
  • And the fact his username is "walsall-fan" as well uncle.....
  • edited February 2010
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]Not to mention the 120 at Charlton on a sunny August afternoon

yet that works out a better ratio home/away fans than what we took there last night with us on the back of our promotion chase and only losing 3 times all season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Very difficult one to sum up for me, the performance was ok, we dominated the game but never really created a chance. I can't remember Clayton Ince having to make a save worth mentioning but on the same token Walsall never really scared me. I thought I'd give it a day before commenting hoping to be able to put my finger on my feeling about it but I'm still as confused. I can't single out a bad player or performance but there still didn't seem to be enough.
    Reid played well but needs to get his head up and make the right decisions pass wise. I think the striker that can create his own chances is the missing piece of the jigsaw but then with no money we're not going to find one. We're a League 1 team with League 1 players.
    Overall the performance was more positive than recent games but I think it was maybe the end to our automatic promotion push which is maybe why it feels so hollow, Play-Offs for us I fear and a meeting with either Millwall or Southampton seems written in the stars...
  • Well we did expect more fans from you side to be honest. You are an ex-premier league side so we thought you would of brought around 1,000.

What did you expect us to bring to your place? We are a club that hasnt got anywhere in recent years. Our greatest success of recent seasons is the league 2 title.We are a mid-table side so we wont take many to a place we dont expect a win.

Funny that we didnt have many ourself, around the same attendence as every other home game this season except Leeds. Dont that prove that people in Walsall dont really care about who comes to our place. It proves your not a big club no more, the only big club in this league is Leeds, and i for 1 have up-most respect for. They have suffered there 3 long seasons in this league, and will be out of it the end of this season.
  • shame you can't take what you give isn't it? few bits of banter and it's suddenly personal eh ;-)

I think you've contradicted yourself really to be fair, you expected us to bring a lot more fans being an ex-premier league side and you didn't bring many to ours as you didn't expect anything out of it, yet there's only one big club in this league...

thought your analysis was very one-sided to be honest and you made no mention of Walsall wasting at least ten minutes of that game, and I mean at least, some of the antics were the most theatrical time wasting I can recall. fake arranging every throw in and goal kick like it was a military manoeuver. christ is it really that desperate?!
  • But ISaw, you have to see it from plucky little Warsaw's perspective:

They dug in, raised their game to play a mighty ex-Prem club - and played like the away team.
    And probably deliberately watered the pitch an hour before kick off.

It was their Cup Final, after all.

;o)
  • [cite]Posted By: walsall-fan[/cite]Well we did expect more fans from you side to be honest. You are an ex-premier league side so we thought you would of brought around 1,000.

What did you expect us to bring to your place? We are a club that hasnt got anywhere in recent years. Our greatest success of recent seasons is the league 2 title.We are a mid-table side so we wont take many to a place we dont expect a win.

Funny that we didnt have many ourself, around the same attendence as every other home game this season except Leeds. Dont that prove that people in Walsall dont really care about who comes to our place. It proves your not a big club no more, the only big club in this league is Leeds, and i for 1 have up-most respect for. They have suffered there 3 long seasons in this league, and will be out of it the end of this season.

You mug
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]And probably deliberately ploughed the pitch an hour before kick off.

not wrong there Oggster ;-)
  • [cite]Posted By: RedArmySE7[/cite]We're a League 1 team with League 1 players.
    Interesting to see that point of view. I had a look on the fans view section of the OS (after reading the thread on here) and there are fans in there that think we have a mid table Championship and it's Parky not getting enough out of them. I think we'd look a better team with more quality up front. I think we have a lot of players would be ok in the Championship, but they won't stand out in League One consistently. Bailey and Dailly have had poor and very average games, the two that are usually seen as our best players.
  • [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: walsall-fan[/cite]Well we did expect more fans from you side to be honest. You are an ex-premier league side so we thought you would of brought around 1,000.

You mug

lol
  • 3,100 at Walsall and 450 odd from us. I paid on the door so you can add one to the actual total. To the Walsall fan, it takes 3 hours M6,M1 or 3 and half hours if travelling down M40 whereas Norwich is about 30 minutes away from Walsall so yes 1,200 is good for a Tuesday night from them when they can walk up the road. How many songs did your 2,700 sing? Answer, none. Worst support I have ever encountered at any ground I have been too, that's a fact. Of course you will be against the referee when we dominated the game for 90 minutes, the word is bias.
  • No we didnt raise our game. We was sh*t like most the weeks. We raised our game agaisnt Leeds. Yesterday we didnt.