Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Latest Films

Comments

• [cite]Posted [/cite] *

CommentAuthorValleyGary
    * CommentTimeJan 19th 2010

quote# 33
    Please, No more poxy Vampire movies!!!

Where have all the good thrillers gone? Films like Usual Suspects or Memento. Original stuff. If it doesnt have explosions, SFX or vampires then it seems it doesnt get commisioned anymore! .

Watch 'El secreto de sus ochos', it's bloody brilliant.
  • [cite]Posted By: [/cite] * JiMMy 85
    * CommentTimeDec 8th 2010

quote# 77
    The Secret In Their Eyes - my film of the year and I think it won the Best Foreign Film Oscar.

It has a 7 minute long take, which starts in a helicopter above a packed Argentinean football stadium, turns into a chase scene, and ends in the bowels of said stadium. Without a single cut. They literally dropped the camera out of the chopper! And it's the characters that make the movie great!!! Can't recommend it highly enough. .

Just to add to my above recommendation that I got the idea to watch it originally from Jimmy85 so thank-you Jimmy - it was great advice
  • [cite][/cite] * North Lower Neil
    * CommentTimeJan 18th 2010

quote# 19

Posted By: Leroy Ambrose 'The Road' is one of the best twenty books ever published. Fact.

No it isn't. Opinion.

I don't know how anything written by Cormac McCarthey could ever be considered as good literature. He writes like an uneducated teenager text messaging on speed.
  • You can surely only have read The Road then? Very different to his others I thought. No Country For Old Men is excellent, but the film is very close to it which is sometimes surprising. Normally its you should read/watch the book/film, but that one is spot on.
  • Didn't really like The Road (the novel) not that it was grim just I dunno, kinad bored me. Have had little interest in watching the film. The Secret In Their Eyes looks good though.
  • Went into the road completely blind having never heard anything about it.............It was okay. Good in some places, not so good in others. Left me with more questions than answers at the end though.
  • Watched Yogi Bear on Saturday,to earn brownie points for later festivities.It wasnt as bad as I feared!
  • I really enjoyed The Fighter!
  • best two films out at the moment are; PAUL, and the fighter, its probing time
  • [cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]
    [cite][/cite]* North Lower Neil
    * CommentTimeJan 18th 2010

quote# 19

Posted By: Leroy Ambrose 'The Road' is one of the best twenty books ever published. Fact.

No it isn't. Opinion.

I don't know how anything written by Cormac McCarthey could ever be considered as good literature. He writes like an uneducated teenager text messaging on speed.
    Never read 'All the Pretty Horses', 'Outer Dark' or 'Blood Meridian' then, clearly. Reading him is like putting your head out of a car window with your tongue hanging out travelling at 100 mph for ten miles facing into the wind. I think 'exhilarating' is the word I'd best use to describe it.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]Went to see The Kings Speech yesterday - brilliant.

I went to see this yesterday but found it very irritating - 'We're about to go to war and millions of you are about to die......but on a brighter note my stutter is much improved, thanks'. Most of the characters were wimps or snobs, or both. Which I suppose goes with the territory.

Not a royalist, me.
  • Me neither Red, just enjoyed the film for what it was.
  • [cite]Posted By: Kiely#1[/cite]You can surely only have read The Road then? Very different to his others I thought. No Country For Old Men is excellent, but the film is very close to it which is sometimes surprising. Normally its you should read/watch the book/film, but that one is spot on.

I've read 'No Country for Old Men.' I've never read 'The Road' and doubt I ever will. In my opinion this author is a disgrace to literature and I'm surprised that he was ever published.

My reasoning for this is that as you read the book, you have to try and hear that American drawl sound in your head as you're reading. Most of it is written not with the correct words but with them spelt 'phonetically' in that accent. Therefore anyone who has not previously heard that accent will be unable to undertstand the text. It's rather like trying to read some of the worst posts on this website.

To complement the author I would say that he had a good exciting story to tell but has the wrong approach in how to tell it effectively. Instead of using imagery, metaphors, similes, personification,allusions, he relies solely on colloquialisms and action. That's my complement to him, which should give some indication of how bloody awful I think he is.
  • Paul's average, didn't really do much for me, has a few good laughs, but then what comedy film doesn't?

Kings speech is very good, and True Grit is stunning and is a great tribute to the original
  • Watched Rabbit Hole last night. Stunning movie. Very Moving.
  • edited February 2011
    Saw 'Never let me go' at the barbican last week. Super duper. Good acting, not too long, great storyline, and thought provoking enough without giving cause to lose sleep
  • Watched The Moon tonight after some reviews on here.

Was interesting, made you think.

Enjoyed it though.
  • Just watched True Grit ... very enjoyable
  • Has anyone seen Irish Road?
  • Just seen the new Brighton Rock. Rubbish.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]Just watched True Grit ... very enjoyable

Saw it last night. Good but not great.
  • [cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]Has anyone seen Irish Road?
    Route Irish you mean? I haven't but it's meant to be really good.
    [cite]Posted By: Kiely#1[/cite]You can surely only have read The Road then? Very different to his others I thought. No Country For Old Men is excellent, but the film is very close to it which is sometimes surprising. Normally its you should read/watch the book/film, but that one is spot on.

I've read 'No Country for Old Men.' I've never read 'The Road' and doubt I ever will. In my opinion this author is a disgrace to literature and I'm surprised that he was ever published.

My reasoning for this is that as you read the book, you have to try and hear that American drawl sound in your head as you're reading. Most of it is written not with the correct words but with them spelt 'phonetically' in that accent. Therefore anyone who has not previously heard that accent will be unable to undertstand the text. It's rather like trying to read some of the worst posts on this website.

To complement the author I would say that he had a good exciting story to tell but has the wrong approach in how to tell it effectively. Instead of using imagery, metaphors, similes, personification,allusions, he relies solely on colloquialisms and action. That's my complement to him, which should give some indication of how bloody awful I think he is.
    So - not a big fan of Irvine Welsh then? Or Flannery O'Connor? Or Iceberg Slim? Or Tennessee WIlliams? Or John Steinbeck? Or any other author who's every written anything in a dialect before?
  • [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Kiely#1[/cite]You can surely only have read The Road then? Very different to his others I thought. No Country For Old Men is excellent, but the film is very close to it which is sometimes surprising. Normally its you should read/watch the book/film, but that one is spot on.

So - not a big fan of Irvine Welsh then? Or Flannery O'Connor? Or Iceberg Slim? Or Tennessee WIlliams? Or John Steinbeck? Or any other author who's every written anything in a dialect before?

No.
  • Just seen Unknown. Excellent film. Clever plot.
  • Went to see Battle Los Angeles the other week , not because of the hype , or the originality , but just some form of escapism after watching Charlton with the nippers!

Did the trick took by brain off it!
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]

No.
    Really? Why not? That's a pretty big swathe of contemporary and modern classic literature you've just dimissed there.
  • Submarine and Patagonia are both worth looking out for. The Eagle is disappointing - though has some stunning Scottish scenery in it.
  • Submarine is excellent.
    Anuvahood is truly awful.
    Lord Of The Dance 3D rocks! :-)

However, for me, the leading light if you haven't seen it still is The King's Speech. Fantastic performance from Colin Firth.
  • [cite]Posted By: supaclive[/cite]Submarine is excellent.

Agree with this. Could be a Gregory's Girl for the....whatever this decade is called.

Also liked Norwegian Wood - sombre but beautiful.