Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Favourite Michael Caine movie and why

Comments

• Options
    Funeral in Berlin...

"Bitte?"

"No...I'll have a Lowenbrau please"
  • Options
    88 today, great man, great actor.
    Wow... Another a bit like Murray Walker who is so much older than I realised 
  • Options
    Love a Michael Caine film. Sure hes been in some turkeys, but hes also been in some all time classics. 

And always comes across as a nice bloke done good, not too up himself.
  • Options
    Not a great lover of his acting but Zulu and The Man who would be King. 
  • Options
    Definitely Get Carter for me
  • Options
    Get Carter - some great lines in that film. 

"You're a big man, but you're in bad shape. With me it's a full time job."

"You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow."
  • Options
    Watched King of Thieves last night, typically understated performance from MC. Very different portrayal of Brian Reader to Kenneth Cranham's in the TV series, a much more sympathetic character, though still not gloryfying a bad egg.  
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    my favs are ( in no particular order)

The italan Job
    Death Trap
    Sleuth
    Zulu
    Swarm
    11 odd years ago I posted this. Can't believe no-one else has mentioned Sleuth or Deathtrap. 
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Love a Michael Caine film. Sure hes been in some turkeys, but hes also been in some all time classics. 

And always comes across as a nice bloke done good, not too up himself.
    I've read one of his autobiography's (The Elephant to Hollywood) and i completely agree he comes across as just a chap who done alright.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I also think it helped that he was a bit older than the other icons in the 60s. gave him a bit of perspective. 
  • Options
    my favs are ( in no particular order)

The italan Job
    Death Trap
    Sleuth
    Zulu
    Swarm
    11 odd years ago I posted this. Can't believe no-one else has mentioned Sleuth or Deathtrap. 
    Or Escape to victory 
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Educating Rita is one of my favourite films .

Michael Caine supports the young Julie Walters in her quest to better herself through the Open University .

I saw it recently and although it was dated I felt it was authentically a good representation of life in the 1980's ( drinking at work etc ) 
  • Options
    My favourite film that he’s in is The Battle of Britain. My favourite that he starred in is The Italian Job. I can remember my Dad getting excited and telling me we must watch it when it was shown on TV. This was during the time of just 3 channels and films like this being shown was a big thing.

Loved it then and love it now.
  • Options
    Dreadful actor but has real screen presence. 
  • Options
    Don’t agree at all ... he has showed he can ‘act’ in films such as The Quiet American and Educating Rita. 
  • Options
    The Italian job, loved it as a kid and forever remember it.
  • Options
    Top 3:

Zulu
    Get Carter
    The Italian Job
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    No mention for Ashanti/  Not surprised, pretty appalling film, think his wife was in it?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2021
    stonemuse said:
    Don’t agree at all ... he has showed he can ‘act’ in films such as The Quiet American and Educating Rita. 
    Off_it said:
    Absolute rubbish. You could say his range was "limited" but if he was a dreadful actor he wouldnt have had such a long, distinguished and iconic career.
    Just like Sean Connery Caine brings the same character to every role. Like his films though.
  • Options
    really enjoyed "Going in Style", with Morgan Freeman and Alan Arkin,  very funny,
  • Options
    Not sure that's true.  I can see why he really struggled on stage, and was probably being close to average on it.  He was in absolutely awful movies when I was a kid/teenager, and a bit of a joke to us.  But in Zulu, The Ipcress File, Get Carter, The Man Who Would Be King, Educating Rita and The Quiet American he's an excellent screen actor. 

Sometimes it seems he's playing the same roué at different levels of class, but as long as an accent's not crucial his acting in small moments and emotional collapses are top notch.  No way is he a bad screen actor.  I think he's a much better and diverse actor than Sean Connery, who I also think is excellent on screen at what he did.

My favourite is Too Late The Hero.  Hilariously ridiculous final scene, with awful lines given to him but plays it better than anyone else.  I love it for it's Saturday matinee feel/memories of watching it with the family.
  • Options
    Mona Lisa, with his cameo with Bob Hoskins, Fantastic. Small part but so well done.
  • Options
    anyone seen the re make of get carter? with Stallone? 

what a pile of shite. 
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    No mention for Ashanti/  Not surprised, pretty appalling film, think his wife was in it?
    His wife was in the Man that would be king too but that was a great film,
  • Options
    Wasn’t MC in the Kinsman?
  • Options
    Alfie, for the reasons originally posted.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    Off_it said:
    Absolute rubbish. You could say his range was "limited" but if he was a dreadful actor he wouldnt have had such a long, distinguished and iconic career.
    Just like Sean Connery Caine brings the same character to every role. Like his films though.
    The two examples I gave are very different from, for example, Zulu, Italian Job etc. 
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    Off_it said:
    Sean connery the same character??
    James bond a womanising and deadly spy and indiana Jones' father? Not sure i agree with you there.
    I get what you mean with Caine in the 60s 70s but I think he evolved with the time superbly.