Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Favourite Michael Caine movie and why

edited December 2009 in Not Sports Related
So many great cinematic moments featuring the great man. I would choose Alfie, because it beautifully captures London at a brilliant time (late 60's) it's poignant and has a superb iconic cast and must have one of the best end credit sequences ever.
Hard to imagine but Terrence Stamp could have been Alfie but he turned it down, Caine picked it up and the rest is history!

Comments

• The Muppet Christmas Carol
  • Get Carter - hands down
  • Yeah, Alfie for me too,for the sheer cheek of it. I love that style where the action stops and he speaks directly to camera. It's all the rage now, but I don't recall anyone else doing it back then (well, except for Eric Sykes).
  • Impossible to pick just one pilchard. Off the top of my head here are five good 'uns not yet mentioned that I love

The Ipcress File
    The Italian Job
    Educating Rita
    Dirty rotten Scoundrels
    The Cider House Rules
  • The Swarm
    Blame it Rio
    The Island
    Jaws 4
    Blue Ice

There are just so many.............

He is my favoutite actor and Get Carter is my favourite film.
  • You missed the classic "Water" off that list Chirps... ;-)
  • Zulu ... brilliant film which I still enjoy

But Caine's best must be 'The Man who would be King' ... I love this film. Great take on a Rudyard Kipling classic. Caine himself rates it as "the only film I've done that will last after I'm gone."
  • Got to be "The Italian Job" or me.........
    Classic.
  • Probably the first actor to play a 'Londoner' as the genuine thing, and not like a Dick Van Dyke character, or RADA type. Some of Michael's films have had a profound effect on Britsh cinema, Without him , Bob Hoskins, and Ray Winstone, to name just two other great actors would have found it hard to succeed. A man who has also not forgotten his past, or where he came from. Acting was a largely middle class, or cockney stereo type before Caine IMO.
    The films such as Alfie, and Italian job just get better IMO. Sleuth, and Get Carter amongst my favourites. A great briton IMO, surprissed he has not directed more, could have been Britain's Clint Eastwood. Made some turkeys but really does have screen presence, Only bloke to look cool in glasse's on the screen. Looking forward to seeing his new film.
  • [cite]Posted By: Miserableold-ish git[/cite]Got to be "The Italian Job" or me.........

Didn't know he played youin a film MOG ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Zulu - the best film EVER!

"I'll get my man to clean your kit"
    "Don't bother"
    "Oh it's no bother old boy, I'm not offering to clean it myself"
  • [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]Get Carter - hands down

Is that the sequel to Get Carter ? :-)
  • [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Miserableold-ish git[/cite]Got to be "The Italian Job"or me.........

Didn't know he played youin a film MOG ;-)

Told you I was "Old (-ish)" !
    ;-)
  • Batman Begins and Alfie. However, The Dark Knight is the best film he's in. As a lead I'd say Alfie.
  • [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]Zulu ... brilliant film which I still enjoy

But Caine's best must be 'The Man who would be King' ... I love this film. Great take on a Rudyard Kipling classic. Caine himself rates it as "the only film I've done that will last after I'm gone."

Agree with Stone Muse. Both great films but The Man who.. just edges it.

Neither seem as dated as Get Carter or The Italian Job either but I guess they were both comtempory.
  • edited December 2009
    Get Carter as a showcase vehicle for him but I think that Mona Lisa as best film that he is in.
  • Can't choose between Get Carter & Alfie.
  • For me it's Clue.
  • The Quiet American is an excellent film, he's terrific in that. Those others are all good though, why choose any when you could have them all?
  • Can't believe 'Escape To Victory' hasn't got a mention! What a player!
  • Sponsored links:

• [quote][cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]Get Carter - hands down[/quote]

Spot on- you're a big man, but you're out of shape!
  • ZULU but

Little voice was also a great Michael Caine film.
  • Very funny cockney rhyming double act with Mike Myers in Goldmember
  • The man who would be king.
  • Alfie's a great film.
    "Listened to all it's problems, got it laughing and it goes home happy" - funny as fook that.
  • First Caine movie I can remember loving is still my favorite: Death Trap with Christopher Reeve. Close second is Dirty Rotten Scoundrels with Steve Martin.
  • my favs are ( in no particular order)

The italan Job
    Death Trap
    Sleuth
    Zulu
    Swarm
  • Get Carter and Alfie for me
  • [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]Get Carter - hands down

Agreed, without doubt.
  • edited December 2009
    Or his worst = "Jaws 4: The Revenge"