Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Today I will mostly be listening to ....

Comments

• edited March 2012
    Butthole Surfers - Who was in my room last night.
  • Minor Threat - First 2 7s on a 12
    Fugazi - Steady Diet Of Nothing
    The Smiths - The Queen Is Dead
  • The sea and cake - The Moonlight Butterfly
  • The Shins - Port of Morrow
  • the big pink
  • Jungleland - Bruce Springsteen & the E Street band - live from NY.
  • White Rabbit - Jefferson Airplane
  • The Cure. and a lot of it.
  • The Rezillos
  • Sponsored links:

• The Shangri-Las
  • Anastacia... sex on legs. Unfortunately she's not that kind of girl...
  • Band of Joy - Robert Plant
  • The Sex Pistols, The Clash, Siouxsie & The Banshees...........
    Jukebox in the Golden Lion just been "updated".............
    You'll never get to play them Paul (or should that be Gladys?).......as Billy Boy will have stuffed 20 quids worth of Elvis tracks on the moment he arrives!!!

• Goo - Sonic Youth
  • Lahore to Longsight - Aziz
  • Carl Barat
  • The Stone Roses
  • Meg Myers - Daughter in the Choir
    Willis Earle Beale - Acoustmatic Socery
    Paul Weller - Sonic Kicks
    Alabama Shakes - Boys & Girls
  • The Last Broadcast - Doves
  • Sponsored links:

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAm_C6sGWa0&feature=related....... jefferson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0rG2ME4sAc ......CSN

Been listening to some of the stuff that Jimi did with Steve Stills, which officially resulted in a track on Stills first album,
    Jimi was trying lots of things at the time,( nothing new there) and one thing that did see the light of day was the BOG concerts.. which Buddy Miles claims was killed of by jimis management.
    There has long been a rumour that he did a cover with Neil Young on down 'by the river', which Miles went on to sing as apart of his own act.
    So far I have only been able to track down a version of Buddy doing this with a Hendrix guitarist tribute act Randy Hansen.......with one of jimi's vox pedals that Buddy had, along with his gold 'flying v', probably adorning some millionaires walls somewhere, or a burger chain........
  • Joy Division - Closer
    and some Steve Reich
  • Heroes can be any size - Jackie Leven

First time I've heard his stuff ... wonderful
    Playing this again ... so good ... great voice
  • Marshall amps........ and the sound that Jim gave the world..........
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vY5peTYu7ZA
    This is the photo I took of Jimi's marshall plexi in London a few years ago, the one he played at Montrey.........
    on show at regent poly opposite the bbc... and the one that they based the recent marshall Hendrix amp re-issues I am told.
    JTM45 MKII "plexi" amp
  • edited April 2012
    here is the amp.....
  • edited April 2012
    Richard Thompson - Hand of kindness plus Great Lake Swimmers new one
  • Marshall amps........ and the sound that Jim gave the world..........
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vY5peTYu7ZA
    This is the photo I took of Jimi's marshall plexi in London a few years ago, the one he played at Montrey.........
    on show at regent poly opposite the bbc... and the one that they based the recent marshall Hendrix amp re-issues I am told.
    JTM45 MKII "plexi" amp
    did you hear that great piece on radio 4 about jim marshall earlier?
    great to hear unlike so many artist/bands who wanted a free amp, Hendrix actually paid for the amp, and so began a friendship.
  • I will have to catch up on that.........thanks.
    Over the years I have been fortunate to be speak to Jim Marshall and Charlie Watkins MD of WEM amps.
    It was well known that jimi paid for his equipment, and the guitar smashing gave the impression that he did not care for his guitars.
    In fact he used to buy several guitars at once from places like 'manny's, and then spend hours modifying them. As Chas Chandler once remarked " jimi invented spending" of course it was his money to spend, unlike the parasites who just wanted to milk him...... 'the classic rock act scenario'
    That was just part of his stage act to get noticed, in the later months jimi got to hate his stage act, according people that were close to him.
    In fact he got bored with his hits like hey joe, and the like, but his management wanted him to play the hits...... to make them money.
    Jimi, always returned to Marshalls, but tended to blend them with WEM. With Roger Mayer he got the amps 'tuned up' and the Stratocaster, Marshall, univibe, Vox, fuzzface/ crybaby sound is almost the default standard for his music, and the legion of musicians who have strived to copy that sound. Nowadays you can get all sort of 'clone' effects, or rigs and have a pretty decent sound to replecate this.... 'But just because you have a canvas and oils you ain't Picasso'
  • interesting about jimi not wanting to play his hits....makes sense in a way. like with so many before and after him they get fed up having to play that same hit they had years ago when they want to play something new or different. I have to admit at times i have been annoyed when a band plays new stuff. that’s not the music that made you fall in love with them. a mixture is good.
    when your small time you can often play what you want then as you become more famous you have to appease everyone. it becomes a job, with responsibilities to your fans. with the stage act i can understand...its not a circus act....I’m trying to play music.

I presume roger mayer patented what he did to make those numerous efforts? fuzz boxes...synths and all that as well.

• the Beach Boys
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!