Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

David Mooney signs

13»

Comments

• Scores a few pens as well.
  • Whoopee fuckin do

This is shite
  • I know you can't rely on You Tube best clips, but he took a lot of them goals well. So here's hoping :-)
  • edited October 2009
    Yeah, Reading have got it wrong and he should be in their first team every week.

Sorry to be all doom and gloom but why don't we just recall Dickson from Bristol Rovers, I've heard he is playing quite well!!!

Hopefully I'll be wrong about this Mooney and he'll come on and score a hat-trick but I doubt it somehow
  • Well surely we knew Parky wouldn't recall Dickson? Rightly or wrongly (and from what some on here with an inside track have said it is wrongly) , he's had a label that says 'trouble' hung round his neck at CAFC and you get the feeling he would have had to be the last stiker left standing on earth for Parky to have him back.

Interesting notion floated by somebody above that Mooney is actually a replacement for Burton while he has an op on his hernia. Do we know if there's any truth in that? I rather suspect he (Burton) will play this afternoon. In fact, I've an inkling Parky will revert to the same XI that started the season as it's the first time he's had a chance to do that in six games since Semedo got injured...it will be interesting to see what Mooney can do coming off the bench in a 4-4-2, if he gets the nod over McLeod...
  • [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]Interesting notion floated by somebody above that Mooney is actually a replacement for Burton while he has an op on his hernia. Do we know if there's any truth in that? I rather suspect he (Burton) will play this afternoon. In fact, I've an inkling Parky will revert to the same XI that started the season as it's the first time he's had a chance to do that in six games since Semedo got injured...it will be interesting to see what Mooney can do coming off the bench in a 4-4-2, if he gets the nod over McLeod...

I'm not sure. Like you can't rely on youtube videos, you can't rely on Football Manager, but in the game he's got decent pace but isn't strong or good in the air. Wouldn't be surprised if he plays alongside Burton as an alternative to McLeod. Maybe a bit less pace but hopefully a more all round and less predictable player.
  • edited October 2009
    [cite]Posted By: D_F_T[/cite]Yeah, Reading have got it wrong and he should be in their first team every week.

Sorry to be all doom and gloom but why the fuck don't we just recall Dickson from Bristol Rovers, I've heard he is playing quite well!!!

Hopefully I'll be wrong about this Mooney and he'll come on and score a hat-trick but I doubt it somehow

Because Parky is trying to and has improved the team spirit and it is said that Dicko detracts from this.

If, as alleged Dicko has been partying too hard, turns up late for training and gernerally does not conduct himself in a professional manner, then no we don't want him.

If your workmate often turned up late and possibly was worse for wear and then messed around and wasn't taking his job seriously, I don't think you'd be happy if he was allowed to get away with it to the detriment of you and your fellow colleagues.

Dicko himself said he chose Rovers over The Jills as he needed to get away from London and all its' distractions.
  • Call me old fashioned, but I just like a forward who can put the ball in the back of the net. I don't give a damn what he does or doesn't do in training during the week, so long as he does the business on a Saturday afternoon. I think if you look back at many of the greatest strikers to grace the game, many of them were also of a similar character. I give you, Killer, Jimmy Greaves, Georgie Best, Stan Bowles, Rodney Marsh just off the top of my head.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: queensland_addick[/cite]Call me old fashioned, but I just like a forward who can put the ball in the back of the net. I don't give a damn what he does or doesn't do in training during the week, so long as he does the business on a Saturday afternoon. I think if you look back at many of the greatest strikers to grace the game, many of them were also of a similar character. I give you, Killer, Jimmy Greaves, Georgie Best, Stan Bowles, Rodney Marsh just off the top of my head.[/quote]

Good point, I think it is that Parkinson has just doesn't get on with Dickson and wants him out.
  • Sponsored links:

• [quote][cite]Posted By: D_F_T[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: queensland_addick[/cite]Call me old fashioned, but I just like a forward who can put the ball in the back of the net. I don't give a damn what he does or doesn't do in training during the week, so long as he does the business on a Saturday afternoon. I think if you look back at many of the greatest strikers to grace the game, many of them were also of a similar character. I give you, Killer, Jimmy Greaves, Georgie Best, Stan Bowles, Rodney Marsh just off the top of my head.[/quote]

Good point, I think it is that Parkinson has just doesn't get on with Dickson and wants him out.[/quote]

Well if he wants to win promotion and ensure he keeps his job, he is going to have to unearth a striker who can knock in 15-20 goals.
    So if he has outed Dickson because of a personal grievance, then he could be cutting off his nose to spite his face.
  • [cite]Posted By: queensland_addick[/cite]Call me old fashioned, but I just like a forward who can put the ball in the back of the net. I don't give a damn what he does or doesn't do in training during the week, so long as he does the business on a Saturday afternoon. I think if you look back at many of the greatest strikers to grace the game, many of them were also of a similar character. I give you, Killer, Jimmy Greaves, Georgie Best, Stan Bowles, Rodney Marsh just off the top of my head.
    Well that is old fashioned, how long ago did they all retire? We want to create a team spirit here, players with good attitudes who work hard for the team, want to play for the club and have to show they deserve a place in the team. If Dickson turns up late for training and is out drinking when he shouldn't be, he doesn't deserve a place in the team.

What I don't understand is how last season we moan about players that supposedly don't care, don't put in the effort, but when it comes to Dickson, because he's scored 3 goals for Bristol Rovers it should be forgotten and there are cries to just give him a place in the team. I've seen quite a bit of him when he has played and in the last two pre-seasons, and he can score a few goals, but he's not that good. This isn't like us dropping Darren Bent when we were in the Prem, we have other options and are top of the league.

I disagree that Parkinson just doesn't like him. He wants professional, committed players, like fans usually do, but Dickson just wants to play every week even though he hasn't proven to be a better player than Burton or Shelvey.
  • Weeeeell dicko apparently had 3 mcleod style wonder misses today sowelcome moonster please sign the dotted line.
  • +1 Sco, spot on.
  • On you tube video, were goals 6 & 7 scored at Selhurst park?
  • why isn't Mooney in the Reading first team?

Maybe he, ahem, doesn't fit into their system.... but in our system he could be a world beater/10/15/20 goal a season-striker/perfect foil for others.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Scoham
    Well that is old fashioned, how long ago did they all retire? We want to create a team spirit here, players with good attitudes who work hard for the team, want to play for the club and have to show they deserve a place in the team. If Dickson turns up late for training and is out drinking when he shouldn't be, he doesn't deserve a place in the team.

What I don't understand is how last season we moan about players that supposedly don't care, don't put in the effort, but when it comes to Dickson, because he's scored 3 goals for Bristol Rovers it should be forgotten and there are cries to just give him a place in the team. I've seen quite a bit of him when he has played and in the last two pre-seasons, and he can score a few goals, but he's not[i]that[/i]good. This isn't like us dropping Darren Bent when we were in the Prem, we have other options and are top of the league.

I disagree that Parkinson just doesn't like him. He wants professional, committed players, like fans usually do, but Dickson just wants to play every week even though he hasn't proven to be a better player than Burton or Shelvey.[/quote]

All true Sco and in an ideal world I would agree with you 100%. The problem is we don't have an Andy Hunt or a Super Clive or a similar good professional who can knock in 20 goals per season. The success of any team or football club for that matter is very dependent on having a goal scorer, because without one, you win nothing and get nowhere. So for that reason if I was a manager I'd try to tolerate a prolific goalscorer even if he wasn't a good professional. Likewise his team mates would also tolerate him, if his goals were earning them their win bonus every week!
    I don't know if Dickson is that man, I've seen him only twice in a poor team last season. So my comments are based purely on his scoring record which on paper is excellent. Hopefully now that he has been given his chance, McLeod will step up and score the goals we need and we won't need to worry about Dickson any more.
  • That's probably why he's brought in Mooney and started McLeod, and Burton although not a great goalscorer has done fairly well so far with both goalscoring and assists.

I can see what you're saying, but it's not going to happen. Parky won't have one rule for Dickson, one rule for the rest. Surely that doesn't do team spirit any good? If Dickson can turn up late for training, why can't the rest of the team. Like I said, he's a good lower league goalscorer, but not that good. Maybe if Dickson was by far the star of our team, a Premier League player playing in League One it could be argued it should be tolerated, but he's not and we are doing fine without him.

While we're top of the league, top 2 if Leeds win on Monday, just signed a striker on loan, we shouldn't be worrying just yet. Mooney may well be the answer, we might start getting more goals out of McLeod and Shelvey. Good thing is we are one of the top scorers in the league, but we have goals all over the pitch. More for opponents to worry about, and we aren't relying on one player to have a good game for us to win.
  • edited October 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]
    Good thing is we are one of the top scorers in the league, but we have goals all over the pitch. More for opponents to worry about, and we aren't relying on one player to have a good game for us to win.

What a very good point, Sco!

Charlton are about having a very good team, rather than relying on one player to score most of the goals.
    The sum of the parts is greater than any individual player.

Relying on one player to regularly score can backfire. Arguably, we may have even scored enough goals & points to stay in the Prem, if Darren Bent hadn't been missing injured for 2 months.

Back to this season, as you say, the team is scoring goals all over the pitch.
    And teams overall have had a hard time dealing with that.

Which is why today, we sit top of the League.
  • [cite]Posted By: queensland_addick[/cite]Call me old fashioned, but I just like a forward who can put the ball in the back of the net. I don't give a damn what he does or doesn't do in training during the week, so long as he does the business on a Saturday afternoon. I think if you look back at many of the greatest strikers to grace the game, many of them were also of a similar character. I give you, Killer, Jimmy Greaves, Georgie Best, Stan Bowles, Rodney Marsh just off the top of my head.

Just as well you're not our Manager then. Why don't we get back all the other lazy or disruptive players that have dragged us down to League one while we are at it.

Come back Marcus Bent, JFH, Amdy Faye, Moots, Ambrose etc etc.
  • Sponsored links:

• Because none of them were prolific goalscorers!
  • edited October 2009
    [cite]Posted By: queensland_addick[/cite]Because none of them were prolific goalscorers!

I think Marcus Bent and JFH are better strikers than Chris Dickson - but I don't want either of them back thanks. I'll settle for Burton he gives 100%

George Best, Jimmy Greaves, Rodney Marsh, Stan Bowles ,Chris Dickson. Guess the odd one out ? LOL.

NB Dickson was not a prolific scorer for Charlton, he looked terrible TBH.
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]What a very good point, Sco!

Charlton are about having a very good team, rather than relying on one player to score most of the goals.
    The sum of the parts is greater than any individual player.

Relying on one player to regularly score can backfire. Arguably, we may have even scored enough goals & points to stay in the Prem, if Darren Bent hadn't been missing injured for 2 months.

Back to this season, as you say, the team is scoring goals all over the pitch.
    And teams overall have had a hard time dealing with that.

Which is why today, we sit top of the League.
    When we had Darren Bent that's just what I was comparing to. In his two seasons we pretty much just relied on him for goals. Out of our strikers Burton has 5 this season, McLeod 3, Shelvey playing in behind 2 and Tuna 1. In October for a team without a proper goalscorer that's not too bad really.

It's much harder for opponents to deal with, we've even had a goal from Semedo and Youga has hit the bar and post. We've scored from open play and set pieces. Might only be the odd goal, but our full backs and defensive midfielder have had a few chances themselves in open play, not many teams have threats from those positions. At the moment at least, it's making up for not having a regular goalscorer up front (though 8 goals in 15 games for Burton and McLeod isn't bad at all)
  • He is the second coming:

Mooney