Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Llera

edited September 2009 in General Charlton
Is now on 4 bookings. Do we need him for the Leeds game and therefore should we rest him for Exeter or are we happy for him to get a yellow against Exeter and then replace him for a potentially non match fit Sodje. Or if he picked up a yellow against Exeter would his ban be picked up by the JPT Barnet game, enabling him to play anyway?

Comments

• Options
    Good point, but Sodje should be up to speed by the time we play Leeds. Also I would rather he plays ahead of Llera at elland road, Sodje knows all about Beckford and Llera has looked shaky recently. Against the best striker in the league imo, i think Llera could get very exposed and look average!
  • Options
    Is the b##tard love child of alan mcleary and phil chapple... runs like chapple did to, think sodg and dailly will be back two in the long run with lera as back up, more steady imho.
  • Options
    I had the same thoughts as soon as Holt got him booked Kap. It depends how crucial Parky thinks he is but, maybe for the first time this season, the manager has a decision to make in terms of team selection.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Red God[/cite]I had the same thoughts as soon as Holt got him booked Kap. It depends how crucial Parky thinks he is but, maybe for the first time this season, the manager has a decision to make in terms of team selection.[/quote]

What about Bailey, he has been off colour in last two and maybe needs a rest himself (this is not a crticism of Bailey, he has been generally excellent, just think he is carrying a knock). Think Parky has some big calls to come especially with three game sin seven days next week.

Sodje, McLeod and even Spring will probably get a start before Leeds
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Red God[/cite]I had the same thoughts as soon as Holt got him booked Kap. It depends how crucial Parky thinks he is but, maybe for the first time this season, the manager has a decision to make in terms of team selection.

Sodje, McLeod and even Spring will probably get a start before Leeds

JPT gives a good chance for players to get a run out, i would have thought for that Sodje, McCenzie (assuming he is fit, which is what we are being told) the new left winger and McLeod will all get a start.
  • Options
    Sodje might be physically fit, but that's not the same as being match fit.

I'd bring in Sodje and give him a start, or bring him on at half-time and give him at least 45 minutes. If llera doesn't get booked in the next match it'll happen in the one after that or soon after, best be prepared for these eventualities...
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Also remember we'll probably carry on the weekly reserve friendlies, more chances for Sodje and McKenzie to get fit, and playing time for Spring, McLeod and the young players. When the time is right in a game, and Sodje is fit enough, I think it would be worth giving him 20-30 minutes.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Llera i think he is a liability the man is slow and his distribution is shocking when sodje is fit he must come in .i reckon that silly hat must fall in front of his eyes when he is passing the ball clumsy git.
  • Options
    what boogica said ... it has to be sodje in for this fella
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: boogica[/cite]Llera i think he is a liability the man is slow and his distribution is shocking when sodje is fit he must come in .i reckon that silly hat must fall in front of his eyes when he is passing the ball clumsy git.
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]what boogica said ... it has to be sodje in for this fella

Llera is tall and ungainly and is always going to look vunerable on the floor when confronted by small players like Hoolihan on saturday. Having said that he has imho opinion done pretty well so far and I think some of the critisism coming his way is tbh pretty harsh. Sodje will have his time no doubt but I personally wouldn`t drop Llera. FFS we are unbeaten.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]
    Llera is tall and ungainly and is always going to look vunerable on the floor when confronted by small players like Hoolihan on saturday. Having said that he has imho opinion done pretty well so far and I think some of the critisism coming his way is tbh pretty harsh. Sodje will have his time no doubt but I personally wouldn`t drop Llera. FFS we are unbeaten.

Agree that the criticism is harsh. He is a bit clumsy but I thought his booking on Saturday was very harsh. His distribution is not poor at all, he's found Sam a number of time with excellent cross field balls. Just because they're long balls doesn't make him a hoofer, I generally think they're measured and worth trying.
  • Options
    I thought he had a good game against Holt on Saturday
  • Options
    He's got a lot of heart but, like a lot of foreign CH's, misses too many routine headers for me. Seems to get under the ball. Mind you, Sodje did that a bit too in his previous time with Charlton. And to those critics of Phil Chapple, I don't recall him missing too many headers or Alan McLeary for that matter. But back to Llera.....for all his clumsiness, he still does do most of the job for us....sticking legs out here and there, plus he does try to get tight to his man. However, he doesn't look capable of playing at a higher level to me, whereas Sodje did when I saw him previously. So, Sodje for me and use Llera as back up.
  • Options
    Finesse on the ball isn't what he's in the team for, but he does have a couple of tricks up his sleeve and an eye for the cross-field ball to Lloydy.

Llera seems to me to be all about a big heart, fighting mentality and a character who doesn't give up.
    Added to the fact he's 6'4" and physically a bit of a lump.

And I guess he's in the team to provide that bit of backbone and passion....... that's been so missing for the past few seasons.
  • Options
    Llera's fighting qualities are to be admired, but Sodger is not excatly lacking in up and at em spirit. I think we perhaps need to be a bit horses for course - Llera, by all accounts, was doing a good job with Holt on Saturday, but I can see beckford tearing him apart, especially as only Youga has any real recovery pace in our back four.

I'd seriously consider giving Sodje some game time with a view to him coming in against Leeds.

Agree it might be time to give a couple of players a rest, not necesarily from the start, but maybe time to mix the subs up a bit - so far it's basically always Sam and Jonjo who come off. We're playing a very high energy style at the moment, which is great, but we need to keep out players at their peak if we gonna keep it up all season. Maybe Izzy deserves a start as well - would be great if he could finally get his goal because we need him coming off the bench confident - it might well have won us the game on Saturday.
  • Options
    When the time is right, I'd like to see McLeod get the uplift of being picked to start.

Having seen the highlights video, he did make life difficult for himself running down the wide channel and shooting from a narrow angle - or even shooting at all, he could have jinked back once in the box to give himself a better angle, and passed the ball into the net.

But best of all, if you're going one on one, you need to be as central as possible. That gives you 2 options to put the ball past the keeper from either side. Like McLeod did for his disallowed goal against Brentford.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]When the time is right, I'd like to see McLeod get the uplift of being picked to start.

Having seen the highlights video, he did make life difficult for himself running down the wide channel and shooting from a narrow angle - or even shooting at all, he could have jinked back once in the box to give himself a better angle, and passed the ball into the net.

But best of all, if you're going one on one, you need to be as central as possible. That gives you 2 options to put the ball past the keeper from either side. Like McLeod did for his disallowed goal against Brentford.

In a 451 or a 442?
  • Options
    Definitely in a 4-4-2 ...... I feel he needs to play off a target man - or at least someone to tell him what to do.

;o)
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Dropping any of Bailey, Racon, Semedo, Shelvey or Sam would be very risky though, can't drop Burton in his current form and he'd be needed to form the 4-4-2. Perhaps Racon could be given a rest at some point, to see how McLeod plays for the full 90 minutes, it's not easy coming on for short periods of times when you haven't played much recently. but he needs to, or he won't be picked. :-)

Deon could feed him 2-3-4 good chances a game, I'm sure of it. but then the small matter of scoring them..
  • Options
    It would be nice to see Mcleod incorporated into the team on the left hand side. Many of his goals at MK Dons came from poor defending where the oppo's defence were too high up the pitch and he ran through onto the ball from virtually the half way line. But on the other hand below average or not I don't want to see Bailey dropped at anytime, and I still have major concerns about walkabout Youga. Bailey might be off colour but he still does his job protecting the area in front of Youga.

Stick with it until major change is needed. Though hopefully Mcleod can be incorporated in that role if we start cruising against teams.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: ColinTat[/cite]It would be nice to see Mcleod incorporated into the team on the left hand side. Many of his goals at MK Dons came from poor defending where the oppo's defence were too high up the pitch and he ran through onto the ball from virtually the half way line. But on the other hand below average or not I don't want to see Bailey dropped at anytime, and I still have major concerns about walkabout Youga. Bailey might be off colour but he still does his job protecting the area in front of Youga.

Stick with it until major change is needed. Though hopefully Mcleod can be incorporated in that role if we start cruising against teams.

Yeah McLeod is great at running down the left flank from the half way line. It's what he does when he sights the goal that's the problem :-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]When the time is right, I'd like to see McLeod get the uplift of being picked to start.

At the risk of being a bit old skool, in a 442 you need the front two to play 'Close' to each other and feed off the knock downs and touches.Also they need to pick up the opposition back 4 when not is possesion to stop the midfield getting overun.
    So often today a front two get isolated. The other need is a midfield 4 that operate as a unit particularly the central two.
    The quality of the central two being able to both 'hold' and create is important.
  • Options
    No booking yesterday, so still on for Leeds.
  • Options
    Thank god as Sodje is on international duty

Mind you I wish he would take a second to think a out his passed sometimes
  • Options
    Did not realise about Sodje, in that case I would start Sodje against Colchester, assuming he has not gone on international duty already
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: boogica[/cite]Llera i think he is a liability the man is slow and his distribution is shocking when sodje is fit he must come in .i reckon that silly hat must fall in front of his eyes when he is passing the ball clumsy git.
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]what boogica said ... it has to be sodje in for this fella

llera looked like a giraffe on stilts with skates on ice ... shocking
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]

the aforementioned giraffe also had the shits and cataracts today
  • Options
    even more reason for sodje to have started ...
  • Options
    Was awful tonight.

Dailly and Sodje
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]
    [cite aria-level=0 aria-posinset=0 aria-setsize=0]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]
    [cite aria-level=0 aria-posinset=0 aria-setsize=0]Posted By: boogica[/cite]Llera i think he is a liability the man is slow and his distribution is shocking when sodje is fit he must come in .i reckon that silly hat must fall in front of his eyes when he is passing the ball clumsy git.
    [cite aria-level=0 aria-posinset=0 aria-setsize=0]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]what boogica said ... it has to be sodje in for this fella

the aforementioned giraffe also had the shits and cataracts today

You'd think a creature that afflicted would get some sympathy.