Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Curry

One for any Curry connoisseurs on here.

Having a take away and I would usually go for a korma but I fancy something different tonight.

Can anyone recommend a curry that has a bit of a kick to it but isn't going to blow my head off!

Ta.

Comments

• I'm a Jalfrazi man... but i don't reccomend it to a Korma man!

Dupiazza, Massala or Rogan Josh should all be slightly warmer without blowing your socks off

and thats also made my mind up of what i want for dinner tonight!
  • Mate - just ask for a lamb curry.
    I find just asking for a basic lamb curry it comes out nicer than a balti,jalfreezi, dopiaza etc.
  • Chicken or Lamb Pathia
  • Jaipuri Chicken is a nice medium curry. Saag Aloo as a side dish is a must.....mmmmm.
  • You could maybe try a Passanda if you like 'em creamy or the old favourite Chicken Tikka Massalla is always a winner. Rogan Josh or Bhuna are also very good, but are more tomato based than creamy - go for lamb in a Rogan Josh or King Prawn in a Bhuna imo!

Did you have to mention Curry though - I'm supossed to be on a diet and laying off the takeaways for financial reasons - I'm almost certain to sucumb now though.

There's a pub near mine that doesn't do food but provides plates etc for you to have a takeaway in there - does good beer too and is only 5 doors down from the best Indian in town. Think i might be heading there now!
  • [cite]Posted By: colthe3rd[/cite]Chicken or Lamb Pathia

Pathia is a good shout too!
  • ask for a vegetable phall if you want something a bit on the smooth side
  • Sorry EA ;o)

Thanks for the tips guys.
  • Chicken Jalfrezi...
  • Lots of the curry places around me (westcombe park/east greenwich) are now doing nepalese dishes... I like a lamb khutta myself....tasty, not hot, with sag aloo and mushroom bhaji....can't go wrong....
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: colthe3rd[/cite]Chicken or Lamb Pathia

Pathia is a good shout too!
    There you go two recommendations for a Pathia
    Description
  • This thread is making me peckish!
  • I'd go for the Jalfreizi because although they are pretty hot, the power is in the chilies rather than the sauce, so you can pick them out if you want to tone it down. Rogon Josh is very nice too.
  • edited September 2009
    Am a big Dopiaza fan myself as I like onions.

As a side note if you are into cooking & you want to recreate traditional British Indian curries at home - which us ex-pats need to do - the following website has amazing recipes, i can now make exact replicas of almost any traditional British Indian restaurant dish including all the sides like naans, bhajis & even the little suaces that you dip yr popadoms into!!

Make your own restaurant curries!
  • Chicken Tikka Dhansak - Hot, Sweet and Sour.
    Mushroom Pilau, Argie Bargie and Bombay Aloo.
    Well done Naan Bread
  • [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]Am a big Dopiaza fan myself as I like onions.

As a side note if you are into cooking & you want to recreate traditional British Indian curries at home - which us ex-pats need to do - the following website has amazing recipes, i can now make exact replicas of almost any traditional British Indian restaurant dish including all the sides like naans, bhajis & even the little suaces that you dip yr popadoms into!!

Oooohhh good linky!

I tried a couple of Canadian curries when I was working in Calgary last year. One place was quite nice (although not much like the English equivalent) but at another I ordered a Rogan Josh and got a bowl of creamy orangey-pink slop that frankly looked like baby sick - quite horrendous.

Stupid thing was the place with the 'Rogan Josh' was run by a bloke from Birmingham!
  • Curry Digital
  • Damn this thread
  • Gang gi se ke ow ------------- green chicken curry (Thai).

or masaman nunga --------------- beef (masaman) curry
  • [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]Am a big Dopiaza fan myself as I like onions.

Oooohhh good linky!

I tried a couple of Canadian curries when I was working in Calgary last year. One place was quite nice (although not much like the English equivalent) but at another I ordered a Rogan Josh and got a bowl of creamy orangey-pink slop that frankly looked like baby sick - quite horrendous.

Stupid thing was the place with the 'Rogan Josh' was run by a bloke from Birmingham!

Exiled - there are some truly excellent curry houses in Calgary - we have a large Indian population - but the curries tend to be either more authentically Indian or watered down for wimpy-Canadian tastes. Finding a restaurant that offers the uniquely British style curry has eluded me so far....
  • Sponsored links:

• the night train from Bangkok to Butterworth in Malaysia go to the dinning area all open windows etc no air con and get a good thai curry cooked right in front of you. Few bottles of Sigha and sleep untill the border, Panag Bazar while you waited for the passports to be carried and stamped from the Thai end of the platform to the Malay end go and have a Indian/Malay curry for break fast in the totaly open station resturant . Things flying round your head and running round your feet. gas bottles everywhere. Great curry though and long before passport control was computorised and the health and saftey mafia stopped all the fun. --------------happy days.
  • edited September 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]Am a big Dopiaza fan myself as I like onions.

Oooohhh good linky!

Exiled - there are some truly excellent curry houses in Calgary - we have a large Indian population - but the curries tend to be either more authentically Indian or watered down for wimpy-Canadian tastes. Finding a restaurant that offers the uniquely British style curry has eluded me so far....

There's a good Indian restaurant in Toronto if that's any help? The only thing is I can't remember its name.
  • I had a great curry for around 100 baht on the Bangkok-Chiang Mai sleeper train. I can't remember what it was - we just ate what we were given and a few bottles of Thai beer washed it down well.
  • edited September 2009
    I am addicted to Vietnamese Subs at the moment - absolutely marvellous concoctions!!

I had one in Vancouver on Wedesday, the little Vietnamese lady serving said something in pidgin English like "you want it hot" - while pointing at the baguette she was slicing? I thought she meant the bread itself, so i said yes

It wasn't until i took the first bite & there was a raw chill in in there that absolutely knocked my head off, that i realised what she was saying. Still beautiful though............

** For those in London interested in trying Banh Mi (Vietnamese Subs) - a new place called Viet Baguette is about to open next to Lantana in Charlotte Mews W1.
  • [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]Exiled - there are some truly excellent curry houses in Calgary - we have a large Indian population - but the curries tend to be either more authentically Indian or watered down for wimpy-Canadian tastes. Finding a restaurant that offers the uniquely British style curry has eluded me so far....

Next time you're in Vancouver we are going for Curry.
  • Chicken Xacuti

Garlic Rice

Peshwari naan

5 bottles of aspalls sorted night
  • Sagorana
    keema naan
    lemon rice
    sag aloo

alternatively swap sagorana for a murgh kopta
  • I had a Lebonese curry once............
    Trouble is I woke up with the Shi'ites.
  • Starter,
    King Prawn Viceroy,it consists of mild king prawns with crisp straw potatoes.

Main,
    Nepali Murg,Chicken cooked in ginger with delicate spices,with a mushroom rice and a Tamo nan with onion yuuuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmm
  • SE9SE9
    edited September 2009
    Vindaloo tonight for the girlfriend i think. She's been having contractions since tuesday evening so I think its time for the curry trick!