Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Parky and Breaker Q&A

edited September 2009 in General Charlton
good night.

PP impressive, articulate and got a few laughs. Lots of background on players and tactics.

Main emphasis was its a long season and the need for good charecter in players.

Lots of other lifers there who can tell more.

Comments

• Options
    The takeover must have been mentioned? ;-)
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Were the crowd gracious toward him Henners?
  • Options
    agree with the above, nothing really new came out of it that wasn't already known or been said before, however I will say that my opinion of Parky was rising before tonight and has risen even more after listening to him. Seems like a really top bloke, clearly has the club at heart and hearing him speak has made me even more confident about the rest of the season.

Breaker didn't say to much but what he did say left me impressed also.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I was very impressed with his honesty and the fact he took the time to explain where he is coming from.
    To me he sounds very focused with his plan and his agenda!and his back room staff,well done PP.
  • Options
    Did anyone ask him his opinion of Scally?
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Also impressed. I learnt there was a well thought out plan B in the event of injuries, that there was an awful lot wrong last season and that having too many foreign languages in the back four can make communication problematic. Miguel had a really nasty head injury but refused to stop playing and Nicky Bailey = 100% pro. Breacker seemed a quiet modest man and he and Parky appeared to work well together. Off/on takeover stuff made buying players difficult. Thought he got a decent reception and all questions were respectful but not sycophantic.

Don't recall any questions about Scally.
  • Options
    What the other guys have said. Parky and Breacker both came across very well.
    Breacker's dad is a Charlton fan.
    Parky sounds like he's building a team that want to play for the shirt and those who've left didn't have the commitment that he wanted from them.
    Things are still very much one game at a timeand Parky says we go into every game with the intention of winning it. He joked that Jonjo will have to get used to players being physical with him because if he was marking him, Parky said he'd be constantly kicking him!
    He commented how important a very hard pre-season was for the likes of Sam and Burton, to make sure that we got the most out of them in such a crucial season, and its showing that the hard work has paid off.
    Parky talked about how he likes to talk to players in person before money is discussed and tries to avoid players who want to talk money first and everything else after.
    He fended of a critique of his use of substitutions in the saints game and what one audience member saw as Parky trying to hang onto the draw, rather than stick McLeod on and try to win the match. Parky felt the best chance of us winning was with the players on the pitch.
    I asked him about the Dickson transfer and basically Bristol Rovers offered us the best chance of getting some kind of decent fee for him in Jan if he does well.
    Getting loans in is a possibility but he wants to see what the likes of Tuna (he'd run through walls for the team), Mcleod (working very hard) and McKenzie have to offer before looking at a market that has been sometimes troublesome for us!
    The difficulty of the next few games was acknowledged but he expects us to go and play like the home side when we go to the likes of Norwich and Leeds and aim to win the games.
    He's thought about the idea of having players injured and how it could affect our system, so there appears to be a plan B if needed.
    There's lots more that i've missed but that's just a bit of what was mentioned. What was great was that Parky and Breacker seem really committed to building the Club back to it's glorious heights and their interested in doing it the old style Charlton way with the touch of flair and a bucket of grit. Parky was very honest about the mistakes he's made in his managerial career and he's trying to put all that he's learned into making us a real success again. He's well aware that he's still got a lot of fans to win over (Les Berry's Tash made a comment that a lot of people in the room didn't want him to still be in the job at the end of last season but him and many others had since changed their minds) but he's doing all he can to convince the fans that he's the man to move the Club forward.

All in all a great night, very impressed with both guys, met some new Lifers (Tavern, Eltham Addick, BBClaus, Kap10) and some old ones and it added to my feeling that things are finally looking up after a difficult few seasons.
    Live, Love, Laugh and Be Happy

Mart77 (The (fat) Irish bloke, next to Mr.Irving)

P.S. I don't think i've said anything confidential but please tell me if i have.
  • Options
    I'll state i've heard Parky a couple of times before, and i always come away impressed, but that is perhaps not the overriding factor, the main one is i feel he is someone i can relate to.

He doesn't give auto routine answers, he explains his reasons / thinking and delivers it with a very real sincerity. How he was Pardew's assistant i will never know as i don't think you could find two more opposite characters.

From what he was saying, everything in the make up of the player squad last season seemed wrong. Commitment, wages, attitude and positions. He is working hard to ensure we have players of the right mentality. He would rather bring in a player with lesser ability that he knows is going to give his all.

It also quite telling the way he was happy to pass general questions over to Breaker, and try and engage him in the process. It wasn't a case of i'm the manager and this is my platform, there seemed to be a real team mentality.

A shame there were not more people there (about 120 i reckon), because it was a useful exercise for everyone. The crowd come away with a better insight into the manager's character and thinking, and equally i think he come away knowing the supporters are very much behind him now.
  • Options
    we definatly need a lifer badge. agree what has already been said. More of a curbs than a pards. Interesting thoughts on why players were bought not just for position but for squad blend and for character. Breaker quiet but seems a good guy learnt trade from ian holloway at qpr. Implied turned down offer from holloway 4 charlton. His dad is a charlton supporter
  • Options
    Some really informative posts ...... cheers guys!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    thanks for the update
  • Options
    "What was great was that Parky and Breacker seem really committed to building the Club back to it's glorious heights and their interested in doing it the old style Charlton way with the touch of flair and a bucket of grit."

I think this comment from Mart 77 hits the spot. Parky doesn't want any Charlton fan to go go home after a match feeling that the players didn't give their all for the shirt. He had listened to some players last season and despite what they said, Parky wasn't convinced that they had really tried. He also commented that we took on unfit loan players and then sent them back to their clubs having got very little out of it but had basically got them match fit in time to send them back to their clubs. He's not going to take that in future. I reckon there's a touch of steel in the quiet man.
  • Options
    Very interesting. Thanks all for the info.
  • Options
    Mart77 (The (fat) Irish bloke, next to Mr.Irving)

P.S. I don't think i've said anything confidential but please tell me if i have.

We met in the Gents last night LOL.
    Did not no you were a lifer.
    These badges are a must if we are to identify each other or we all wear a red rose or something at these get togethers.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Red roses and secret meetings in the gents?

What sort of "lifers club" is it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]How he was Pardew's assistant i will never know as i don't think you could find two more opposite characters.

So true. Whatever people may think of his record on the pitch, and ultimately that is what matters, he isn't Pardew MKII or his lap dog.
  • Options
    I alway said that Mart77 was as dodgy as they come!!!

Backs to the wall lads!!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rodex[/cite]Mart77 (The (fat) Irish bloke, next to Mr.Irving)

These badges are a must if we are to identify each other or we all wear a red rose or something at these get togethers.

Or carry Nikon cameras?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: stilladdicted[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Rodex[/cite]Mart77 (The (fat) Irish bloke, next to Mr.Irving)

Or carry Nikon cameras?

Huge great cameras but don't move out of your seat to use them : - )
  • Options
    His was bigger than mine!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: stilladdicted[/cite]His was bigger than mine!

Are we back to Mart77 in the toilets again?

; - )
  • Options
    Good reading. sounds like a good informative evening for the fans.
    Did parky say much more on the plan B senario. Or did he say that he has one and that was that.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: christian da valiant[/cite]Good reading. sounds like a good informative evening for the fans.
    Did parky say much more on the plan B senario. Or did he say that he has one and that was that.

He was asked twice about his plan B (I think the second questioner must have arrived late) and said that the coaching team think all the time about different scenarios in games and what to do if certain players are unavailable. Eg Solly could step in for Semedo or JJ could drop back in the the middle with Burton playing behind McLeod.

Said they are not stuck with 4 - 4 - 1 - 1 just that it suits what they have now and allows us to play football.

He said he didn't change the team in the 2nd half for Soton as we were on top. First half he felt we had contributed to their success in stopping our game plan so changed it at half time "made the pitch wider" by getting Bailey out wider and other things and it was working. He felt we were on top for most of the half even if Soton came strong in the last five minutes
  • Options
    I thought Kins was going to be there as well?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Plaaayer[/cite]I thought Kins was going to be there as well?

Due to a communications cock up Kins was not available, but they will do a session with Kins and Mathews in the future. personally I am not dissapointed by his absence as it allowed us to get to know Parkie and his thoughts better
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Plaaayer[/cite]I thought Kins was going to be there as well?

Some sort of mix up according to Airman Brown (the DVD of an old match didn't work either).

PP said Kins and Damian Matthew are going to do a Q & A focusing more on the youth development side of things.
  • Options
    Cheers
  • Options
    Whilst having no idea about the Pardew regime and I along with a number of people bottled the question "!What were you doing duringthe Pards era." It does sound like the Manager and staff have a good working relationship, there was lots of "Well Tim and I were speaking a bout that ....," Or "We spoke to Kins ...", sounds like he has an inclusive management style.
  • Options
    You're a funny bunch! The mere mention of toilets and you all revert to being schoolchildren! ;0)

Was a great night and was cool meeting some more Lifers (and those who i didn't know they were Lifers)!

Would be cool if we could organise a similar event in the future and tie it in with a CL get together.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]

Would be cool if we could organise a similar event in the future and tie it in with a CL get together.

There is a lot of scope for that.

Speaking to Wendy and Rick, who are trying to organise more of these sort of events. So far only Bromley Addicks and Maidstone CASC have given them any dates for guests.

So if you want a meeting in your area get in there.