Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Deon Burton

WSSWSS
edited September 2009 in General Charlton
Just read a stat that, since January, he has scored 8 goals in 15 starts.

Superb record IMO, especially combined with his work rate and everything else he adds to the team.

Tik-a-boo son.

Comments

• Options
    Not bad going at all that, I can think of at least 3 assists in recent games too.
  • Options
    4 in 7 this year, 7 in the last 8 league games.

As I said elsewhere if his name was Chris Dickson those stats would have some people in raptures but as it's Deon "he'll never be a goal scorer" Burton then it doesn't count somehow.

And even without his goals the rest of his game is great. How many assists so far this season?
  • Options
    deon is the main man reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeespect
  • Options
    Thought he showed some class when it all kicked off a bit with one of the Southampton players and he just walked away from the guy.
  • Options
    Great record especially with everything else he does for the team and the assists he also gets.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SE10Addick[/cite]Thought he showed some class when it all kicked off a bit with one of the Southampton players and he just walked away from the guy.

He did what he needed to do to get him booked
  • Options
    A Deon Burton fact - we haven't lost any of the matches that he's scored in this season.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]4 in 7 this year, 7 in the last 8 league games.

As I said elsewhere if his name was Chris Dickson those stats would have some people in raptures but as it's Deon "he'll never be a goal scorer" Burton then it doesn't count somehow.

And even without his goals the rest of his game is great. How many assists so far this season?

Don't recall saying that Burton wouldn't score in the 3rd Division but would have been pleased if Dicko had matched that. There again, Dicko hasn't started a single game for us at this level but did, however, start 11 games for Gillingham and scored 11 times (7 goals in 9 starts in the League) in a poorer side i.e. no Jonjo, Racon, Semedo, Bailey or Sam in the Gills midfield.

Some on here would, of course, say that those goals don't count for comparison purposes. And of course Parky tells us the rest of his game isn't up to it which is why he doesn't even make the bench for us.

Still we can't have any complaints if he comes back to haunt us when playing for the Gills can we?
  • Options
    Fair play to Burton, I was not a fan at all last season and thought he was a poor signing. This season he is showing himself to be a good all round striker and could reach 20 league goals.
    Dickson imo will score goals at this level but as he showed against Donny, he can't play on his own upfront and we'd have to change system as Dickson is nowhere near as good a all round player as Burton. Maybe when Shelvey needs a rest, Dickson may get a chance somewhere, think alongside Burton or even McKenzie he would form a decent partnership. Certainly don't want him going to Gills, as he would surely come back to haunt us!
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I don't think Dickson scoring 1 goal against us would constitute "coming back to haunt us". Only if he knocked in 20 goals would it be a big loss, and from what I've seen of him in a Charlton shirt, there's absolutely no chance of him doing that. And even if he did score that many goals, if Deon gets close to that it wouldn't matter.

I never saw much of his loan spell at Gills (apart from the YouTube vid), but I'd say last season's contribution and his supposed sulky attitude so far this year should influence our decision to keep him more than a 10 game loan spell a couple of years ago. He probably wouldn't even get in Gillingham's team at the moment. I wouldn't be sad to see him go.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2009
    Burton was consistently described as someone who would never be a "regular goal scorer". Just go back and look at the Wycombe game comments and see that it wasn't just last season either.

Let's wait and see if Dickson does actually score some goals for Gills before talking about him coming back to haunt us. He may well do well for them if they play to his strengths and good if he does. Maybe we can get a transfer fee for him or he can come back and play for us. And if he scores against Leeds on Saturday then we'll all be happy.

He didn't score at Crewe, he had a great spell at Gillingham, and then didn't do much in the limited time he had on the pitch with us. It seems the spell at Crewe doesn't feature in comparisons as those league games never seemed to be included in his stats.

What can't be denied that is that Burton is scoring vital goals, creating goals for others and playing for the team so that others can show their abilities.
  • Options
    Yes, agreed, Terrific stuff from Burton and he's surprised me. I was wrong about him and am glad to admit it. I like his spirit, his attitude, his character and everything about him from what I've seen this season.

I think his stats also put into perspective the record of our other non-firing strikers over the last year, including Andy Gray and Chris Dickson.

Some of us, I think, got fed up with reading the apologists for them on CL excusing their woefully barren record on the grounds that the team ''wasn't set up'' for the m to score, but for the goals to come from midfield. I've even seen that said on here at least once this season!

I thought it was nonsense the first time I read it and it seems even more like nonsense now. In fact, I'm not even sure what it means - how can you not be ''set up'' for the strikers to score? Of course you want goals from midfield. But AS WELL as goals from the strikers, not INSTEAD OF!

So please, can we ban forthwith all mention of Parky's style of play meaning his teams are ''not set up'' for the strikers to score. Burton has disproved that and and hopefully McLeod and McKenzie will do so as well.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]

Let's wait and see if Dickson does actually score some goals for Gills before talking about him coming back to haunt us. He may well do well for them if they play to his strengths and good if he does. Maybe we can get a transfer fee for him or he can come back and play for us. And if he scores against Leeds on Saturday then we'll all be happy.

I've obviously missed something because I didn't even know Dicko had already gone to Gillingham!
  • Options

It seems the spell at Crewe doesn't feature in comparisons as those league games never seemed to be included in his stats.

He had a whole 2 (two) starts at Crewe. So, at this level, Dicko has started 11 League games and scored 7 times. Shocking goals per game ratio. Happy now Henry?
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    so only starts count now.

he flopped at crewe which is why he was sent back after one month as they didnt want to keep him.

And you can keep on and on about his great spell at gills but hes not as good as burton.

And no hes not gone to gills yet hence the use of the word ''if''
  • Options
    "..he's not as good as burton."

Don't want to make a habit of agreeing with you, Sir Henry, but for the third time today, I am forced to do so!

Not as good as Burton by a very long way.

Now can you please post something with which I can furiously disagree ???
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]"..he's not as good as burton."

Don't want to make a habit of agreeing with you, Sir Henry, but for the third time today, I am forced to do so!

Not as good as Burton by a very long way.

Now can you please post something with which I can furiously disagree ???

Get a room you two !
    ;-)
  • Options
    Praps he's found his true level.

It's to early to call but lets hope he can keep the goals coming. I don't think anyone ever had a problem with his work rate.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]so only starts count now.

he flopped at crewe which is why he was sent back after one month as they didnt want to keep him.

And you can keep on and on about his great spell at gills but hes not as good as burton.

Yeah I forgot the one sub appearance for them.

Dicko does not suit 4-5-1 because he doesn't have the ability to hold the ball up or bring players into the game as Burton does. I've never denied that but what I won't have is that Deon Burton is, all of a sudden, this great goalscorer and will always be better at putting the ball in the net than Dicko, when, in the Championship, he scored 2 (yes two) goals in some 36 appearances for Sheffield Wednesday.

I firmly believe that they can play together but that would mean sacrificing 4-5-1 and the results simply don't warrant changing this. However, if we're not even prepared to Dick on the bench and have 4 strikers in front of him (for one place) and he's a disruptive influence then get him off the payroll and let him go to Gillingham for nothing.

After all he's costing us plenty for a player who isn't even in the squad. Or are we saying that we can afford to keep him? Perhaps he should take the money like Martin Christensen.
  • Options
    IMO should have been player of the month. As many have said he allows other players to play to their strengths and has shown he can be a goalscorer at this level. If he can keep it up we may see a good 20-25 goals from him this season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    it was only durring the soton game that i realised how smart deon plays
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    MOG wrote: ''Get a room you two ! ;-) ''

Call me old fashioned, but not on the first date.

A gentle day together at the cricket first, perhaps ! ;-)
  • Options
    led zepp are hugely overated and responsible for most of what went wrong in rock music in the 70s.

There you go Nigel : - )
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]led zepp are hugely overated and responsible for most of what went wrong in rock music in the 70s.

There you go Nigel : - )
    I agree with that !
    ;-)
  • Options
    Is he Charlton's best, post-Premiership signing?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]Is he Charlton's best, post-Premiership signing?

Semedo, racon, bougherra, bailey, spring
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]Is he Charlton's best, post-Premiership signing?

Semedo, racon, bougherra, bailey, spring
    Well, Spring obviously...
  • Options
    Spring??? Henry you still looking for disagreement!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]Spring??? Henry you still looking for disagreement!

me?

Slightly tongue in cheek but think he will prove his worth this season. 50 or more games yet to come this term and he will play a role.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]Spring??? Henry you still looking for disagreement!

me?

Slightly tongue in cheek but think he will prove his worth this season. 50 or more games yet to come this term and he will play a role.
    So, what's your top ten list, in order, of Charlton's post-Premiership signings? (Or does this deserve another thread?)