Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jermaine Defoe

14567810»

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2022
    Croydon said:

He left us when we were at West Ham's level, even arguably better than them at the time. 
    I checked on wiki and he joined us in 1997 and left in 1999

“ Defoe was spotted playing football by Charlton Athletic who enrolled him at the FA National School of Excellence at Lilleshall Hall in 1997.”

The way our fans cry (I would have been one of them) I thought he’d been with us for 5-6 years in the academy .

1999 we were relegated from the Prem and start of our promotion season West Ham finished 5th in 1999 and ninth the following season .

Sponsoring him through Lilleshall would have been a big investment.

As others have commented it was our success in getting boys from East London Bowyer,Jenkinson,Koncheskyand Shelvey to name four that irked the Hammers. We literally recruited in the shadows of Upton Park.

Does Jon jo Shelvey's father still run a Centre for us in Romford?
  • Options
    What I really like about this signing is that if we don't prosper in the Pizza Cup , Defoe along with Gunter, Watson and Pearce could form the spine of an Charlton OAP walking football squad. 

Can we not just sign someone who can play football, is under 30, over 6ft tall and not injured ?

Surely it can't be that difficult.  

To be fair we don’t sign them injured, that curse kicks in after they sign
  • Options
    What I really like about this signing is that if we don't prosper in the Pizza Cup , Defoe along with Gunter, Watson and Pearce could form the spine of an Charlton OAP walking football squad. 

Can we not just sign someone who can play football, is under 30, over 6ft tall and not injured ?

Surely it can't be that difficult.  

Maybe there's a 5 aside league restarting, we used to be the bollox in that. 
  • Options
    Interesting, I wonder if Defoe will consider the MLS?
    He already tried that - FC Montreal.

He said in his press conference that he was excited to live in America.
    He played for Toronto in the MLS
    Ah yes, thanks for the correction.
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    Croydon said:

He left us when we were at West Ham's level, even arguably better than them at the time. 
    I checked on wiki and he joined us in 1997 and left in 1999

“ Defoe was spotted playing football by Charlton Athletic who enrolled him at the FA National School of Excellence at Lilleshall Hall in 1997.”

The way our fans cry (I would have been one of them) I thought he’d been with us for 5-6 years in the academy .

1999 we were relegated from the Prem and start of our promotion season West Ham finished 5th in 1999 and ninth the following season .

Sponsoring him through Lilleshall would have been a big investment.

As others have commented it was our success in getting boys from East London Bowyer,Jenkinson,Koncheskyand Shelvey to name four that irked the Hammers. We literally recruited in the shadows of Upton Park.

Does Jon jo Shelvey's father still run a Centre for us in Romford?

Plus he scored 10 in 4 games at Lilleshall, so everybody was getting justifiably excited and then he was gone.
  • Options

Hope this puts to bed any rubbish rumours that Defoe is going to rejoin us. Ah well at least he’ll get a Charlton homecoming on March 5th.
  • Options

Hope this puts to bed any rubbish rumours that Defoe is going to rejoin us. Ah well at least he’ll get a Charlton homecoming on March 5th.

I hope the crowd don't bother doing wanker Jermaine Defoe chants. 

It will result in Sunderland getting a rare 3 points against us

• Options
    Retiring immediately before the season even ends, good job he snubbed us!
  • Options
    That’s why we were never really interested .. fans again creating but not knowing the full story .. well done SG 
  • Options
    That’s why we were never really interested .. fans again creating but not knowing the full story .. well done SG 

How was this put around by SG.

The rumour gained credibility when Simon Jordan speculated about it on TalkSport and it was picked up as a story.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just listened to his podcasts (to date).

Once you get through the self love - and there is a lot of it - it becomes quite interesting.   Hardly a mention of Charlton, although Harry Rednapp admits that Charlton had better boys than West Ham at the time, which is why he nicked the coach as well as Defoe himself.

Another standout for me is the advice Defoe continually gets by pros in the game to choose a chairman over a club for his first job in management.  Could this be the reason so many managers fail at Charlton?

Anyway give it a go 'Outside the Box', Jermaine Defoe.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0f09s93
  • Options
    That “choose a chairman over a club” is very interesting. Makes perfect sense. 
  • Options
    Defoe never spoke about loyalty did he?
  • Options
    He was at the next table to us at the One & Only hotel in Dubai last week. Came across as a very nice guy; polite & with very good manners. I didn’t have the nerve to actually speak to him though!
  • Options
    I'm sorry to say but I'm making a documentary about him..... trying to work out the best way to cover his Charlton career without punching him in the face!
  • Options
    supaclive said:
    I'm sorry to say but I'm making a documentary about him..... trying to work out the best way to cover his Charlton career without punching him in the face!
    Judging by interviews I've heard with him, he's forgotten he was ever here. That aside, he sounds like a decent human.
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    supaclive said:
    Judging by interviews I've heard with him, he's forgotten he was ever here. That aside, he sounds like a decent human.
    I bet his Mum and Dad liked the (house? ) wasn't it?
  • Options
    I will never forget what he did for that young Sunderland fan and his family in the kids last few months. 
    exactly.  I always think of Bradley when I hear his name or see him on the box.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Did it cover his lottery win?
  • Options
    he came to us at the age of 14 and left at 16 . 

• Options
    edited March 2023

By 11 he was at the Charlton academy – where Paul Rose and Steve Watts were huge influences on the young Jermain. Aged 14 he joined Lilleshall alongside future pros like Joe Cole and Danny Webber. At the age of 15 he was approached by West Ham. His move from Charlton was a controversial one, and went to a tribunal – meaning the teenager had to sit in on proceedings as if he was in court. It was an intimidating and unsettling moment for the youngster. But, despite the Hammers having to pay £1m in compensation to their London rivals, it ended up being worth it for the club… ( I believe the final compensation ending up totaling £2.5m, btw)
  • Options
    supaclive said:

By 11 he was at the Charlton academy – where Paul Rose and Steve Watts were huge influences on the young Jermain. Aged 14 he joined Lilleshall alongside future pros like Joe Cole and Danny Webber. At the age of 15 he was approached by West Ham. His move from Charlton was a controversial one, and went to a tribunal – meaning the teenager had to sit in on proceedings as if he was in court. It was an intimidating and unsettling moment for the youngster. But, despite the Hammers having to pay £1m in compensation to their London rivals, it ended up being worth it for the club… ( I believe the final compensation ending up totaling £2.5m, btw)
    Can you update his wiki page please 
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    supaclive said:

No, but his documentary that I am a producer on, will tell the full story! :-)
  • Options
    supaclive said:
    supaclive said:

No, but his documentary that I am a producer on, will tell the full story! :-)
    would be great to make it crystal clear he was ours ;)
  • Options
    Shame he never got to play for us but West Ham and to a lesser extent, his family are the villains in this story, not the 16 year old kid. 
  • Options
    Doing the punditry (well) on MOTD too now. Bloody Judas. Just can’t get away from him. 
  • Options
    Shame he never got to play for us but West Ham and to a lesser extent, his family are the villains in this story, not the 16 year old kid. 
    Spot on, it's weird people holding a 25 year old grudge over a kid moving clubs.
  • Options
    Spot on, it's weird people holding a 25 year old grudge over a kid moving clubs.
    No, he's still a Judus scumbag and West Ham deserve to be relegated from whichever shit league they are in.