Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jamaican athletes

edited August 2009 in General Charlton
How the f*** is an island the size of the isle of wight producing so many world sprinting champions?

Drugs i tell ya.Drugs that are so advanced they are not detectable.

Comments

• Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: carly burn[/cite]How the f*** is an island the size of the isle of wight producing so many world sprinting champions?

Drugs i tell ya.Drugs that are so advanced they are not detectable.[/quote]

How the f*** is an island the size of the isle of wight producing so many non detectable drugs? Its called talent
  • Options
    Probably a bit of both to be honest. I'd imagine there's some undetectable form of growth hormone some of them have been using - maybe even most of them - but they've always had the natural talent in the past, just not fulfilled it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: carly burn[/cite]How the f*** is an island the size of the isle of wight producing so many world sprinting champions?

How the f*** is an island the size of the isle of wight producing so many non detectable drugs? Its called talent

Again,how can there be that much talent in such a small area??
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Not sure - why don't you ask the All-Blacks?
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    so the Jamacans run fast over short distances , africans are world beaters runing long distance and the Brits are good on bics , so there you have it we we like a hard fast ride !
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    (1) They are born with super fast twitch muscles which give them pace and power
    (2) Athletics and specifically sprinting is their National Sport

It's a bit like asking "why are Ethiopians so good at long distance running?"
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    The all blacks are a well drilled rugby machine that are brilliantly coached.You cannot train someone to run faster than the speed of sound,you're born with it........
    or drugged up to the eyeballs.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: carly burn[/cite]How the f*** is an island the size of the isle of wight producing so many world sprinting champions?

They should give them to their swimmers then .......................... they need a bit of help.
  • Options
    they do train people to run. If you herd Micheal Johnson talking about some of the runners arm movements being incorrect coming out of the blocks and they couldnt get the drive if their arms werent in the correct place. The USA 100M team where training with an ex USA 100M medal winner who was a great starter just to get this micro piece correct. They all use sports scientists who video every run. Bolt maynot need them he is just gifted.
  • Options
    How comes a great team like Charlton tend to buy sh*t players most of the time?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The all blacks comment is wrong on at least two levels. One is that they are not particularly good at the moment and two is that half of them are not even from new zealand.

As for the sprinters, no reason why jamaicana should be better than other nations near them or African Americans either, all looks a bit suspicious how they are suddenly so good. There are two rival sprint camps their and they both regularly accuse each other of drugging their athletes.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: No.1 in South London[/cite]

They should give them to their swimmers then .......................... they need a bit of help.

my Ghanaian buddy tells me black guys have higher bone density and consequently don't float so well

incidentally why don't black people play golf or snooker or race F1 particularly well?? (tiger is not black he's mixed race - as is Lewis Hamilton)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: No.1 in South London[/cite]

my Ghanaian buddy tells me black guys have higher bone density and consequently don't float so well

incidentally why don't black people play golf or snooker or race F1 particularly well?? (tiger is not black he's mixed race - as is Lewis Hamilton)

Exactly, nowt to do with drugs......................
  • Options
    The West Indies also produced a long string of world class fast bowlers in the 70's, 80's and 90's - way better than anyone else - were they on drugs too? Ridiculous claim.

Jamaica has always produced world class athletes, its a very popular sport there. The historical facts tell you that the slave traders dropped the most troublesome slaves [suggesting the most physically aggressive] off the ships in Jamaica to get them off their ships This suggests that the Jamaican heritage may lean towards producing more physically powerful people than the other Carribean islands.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]
    Jamaica has always produced world class athletes, its a very popular sport there. The historical facts tell you that the slave traders dropped the most troublesome slaves [suggesting the most physically aggressive] off the ships in Jamaica to get them off their ships This suggests that the Jamaican heritage may lean towards producing more physically powerful people than the other Carribean islands.

Wrong.With the influx of american TV,basketball is now THE no1 sport in the west indies.
  • Options
    Apparently people in the West Undies are taller on average than anywhere else in the world. It's because their knee grows!!

*grabs coat*
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: carly burn[/cite]

Wrong.With the influx of american TV,basketball is now THE no1 sport in the west indies.

Not "wrong" actually. Basketball is popular in the West Indies but is not dominant by any means, cricket, football and athletics are all very popular still - especially in Jamaica where football is extremely popular.

There are almost certainly way more footballers of Jamaican heritage playing at professional level in England than basketballers playing in the NBA.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: carly burn[/cite]

Not "wrong" actually. Basketball is popular in the West Indies but is not dominant by any means, cricket, football and athletics are all very popular still - especially in Jamaica where football is extremely popular.

There are almost certainly way more footballers of Jamaican heritage playing at professional level in England than basketballers playing in the NBA.
    Way more. To my knowledge there have been two Jamaican players in the NBA - three if you count Patrick Ewing, who was born in Jamaica but is a US citizen and grew up there. There must be dozens of Jamaican footballers in Britain right now, let alone over the past thirty years.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: carly burn[/cite]The all blacks are a well drilled rugby machine that are brilliantly coached.You cannot train someone to run faster than the speed of sound,you're born with it........
    Have you ever watched Richie McCaw, Jerry Collins, Dan Carter or Joe Rokocoko play rugby? Tell me they weren't born with their talent - Richie McCaw is the best rugby player that ever lived. New Zealand is a country with a population reasonably similar to Jamaica - they were born to play rugby, Jamaicans were born to sprint. In the last ten years that Jamaica has had ANY serious sports coaching at all - other than cricket coaching that is. Like I said, I think its fishy that they've all burst onto the scene so rapidly, and admit its quite possible that they're taking some form of growth hormone or something, but there is also undeniably a massive pool of sprint talent there.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: carly burn[/cite]The all blacks are a well drilled rugby machine that are brilliantly coached.You cannot train someone to run faster than the speed of sound,you're born with it........
    Have you ever watched Richie McCaw, Jerry Collins, Dan Carter or Joe Rokocoko play rugby? Tell me they weren't born with their talent - Richie McCaw is the best rugby player that ever lived. New Zealand is a country with a population reasonably similar to Jamaica - they were born to play rugby, Jamaicans were born to sprint. In the last ten years that Jamaica has had ANY serious sports coaching at all - other than cricket coaching that is. Like I said, I think its fishy that they've all burst onto the scene so rapidly, and admit its quite possible that they're taking some form of growth hormone or something, but there is also undeniably a massive pool of sprint talent there.

The thing is Leroy that Jamaica is a desperately poor country with a serious lack of cash for sports investment so it is very hard to see how they could finance some sort of sophisticated drugs program for their athletes. Unlike the Chinese with their swimmers.....

The Jamaicans are just very talented athletes, especially in any sport requring explosive physical power.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    i know a jamaican bloke and he runs fast. he reckons you have to be fast or you get your shoes robbed where he lived.
  • Options
    LOL - geezer who played up front for my Sunday team a few years back was Jamaican - absolutely lovely bloke, and he was like s*** off a shovel. Unfortunately, he was probably about as effective in front of goal as Usain Bolt would be. He said he was quick because he ran on the beach when he was a kid, reckoned it strengthened his calf and thigh muscles.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Addick Addict[/cite](1) They are born with super fast twitch muscles which give them pace and power
    (2) Athletics and specifically sprinting is their National Sport

It's a bit like asking "why are Ethiopians so good at long distance running?"

Last year Colin Jackson went to Jamaica (both his parents are from there) to find out just why they are so good at sprinting. Thr two reasons I've already stated were given but here is another article I've found on this very subject:

"Jamaica is a poor, tiny nation about half the size of New Jersey. What makes its people such champion sprinters?

A combination of nature and nurture. Runners of West African descent—which includes Jamaicans as well as most African-Americans—seem to be built for speed: In 2004, they held all but five of the 500 best times in the 100-meter dash. (East Africans, such as Kenyans and Ethiopians, rule the long-distance field.) Several biological factors may be coming into play here. One study conducted in Quebec in the 1980s found that black West African students had significantly higher amounts of "fast-twitch" muscle fibers—the kind that are responsible for short, explosive bursts of action—than white French Canadians did. (So far, there is no evidence that even extensive training can turn slow-twitch muscles into fast-twitch ones, though moving in the other direction is possible.)

Exercise physiologists at the University of Glasgow and the University of the West Indies are currently researching the genetic, nutritional, and sociological factors behind West Africa's sprinting success. The team has just begun to analyze the genetic data it has collected, but preliminary findings suggest that 70 percent of Jamaicans have the "strong" form of the ACTN3 gene—which produces a protein in their fast-twitch muscle fibers that has been linked to increased sprinting performance. That's a significantly higher percentage than in the United States, where about 60 percent have the gene variant. A further 28 percent of Jamaicans are heterozygous for the gene—which has the same effect, but to a lesser degree—compared with about 20 percent of Americans. The rest, by contrast, have the "null" form of the gene that produces no protein at all, apparently making for lousier sprinters but perhaps better endurance runners. (Ironically, a sample of Kenyans showed a lower incidence of the null form than Americans.)

Of course the vast majority of Jamaicans with active ACTN3 genes don't go on to become world-class athletes. Cultural factors are likely to contribute to the success of Jamaican sprinters. For example, track and field has historically held a high place of honor in Jamaican culture. The annual high school Boys and Girls Athletics Championships—known simply as Champs—is a major national event the importance of which to Jamaicans rivals that of the Super Bowl to Americans. A long history of high-profile accomplishments at Champs—plus the 45 Olympic medals Jamaicans have now won in track—helps inculcate a deep sense of national pride in the sport.

Some have pointed to improved training over the past 30 years as an explanation for Jamaica's medal haul. Star athletes once had little opportunity to train and compete at the post-high-school level, but the country's University of Technology has since become a premier training center for track and field. Nevertheless, four-fifths of this year's Olympic team trained overseas."
  • Options
    they should have a go at the bobsleigh again.
  • Options
    Didnt 5 of their athletes just test postive a few weeks ago ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MrOneLung[/cite]Didnt 5 of their athletes just test postive a few weeks ago ?

Yes but I do believe that it wasn't performance enhancing drugs if you know what I mean.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MrOneLung[/cite]Didnt 5 of their athletes just test postive a few weeks ago ?

i think they tested positive for a substance 'similar' to a banned substance. The implication being that it is a new variant of a banned stimulant, I imagine the new substance will be added to the banned list shortly.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: kigelia[/cite]

i think they tested positive for a substance 'similar' to a banned substance. The implication being that it is a new variant of a banned stimulant, I imagine the new substance will be added to the banned list shortly.

The got banned for taking a substance which isn't banned ?
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    This is so very simple Jamaican's Genes develop natural fast twitch fibres within the muscles and as humans evolve the fast twitch muscle fibre is being carried through and evolving itself into even faster twitch muscle fibres called (wait for it) Super fast twitch!

FACT

Ethiopians have super slow twitch which is why they run so long!

So kids:

Fast Twitch Muscle Fibres - Short explosive bursts of energy - Perfect for muscle building and sprinting.
    Slow Twitch Muscle Fibres- Slow release of energy. - Perfect for long distance running.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Just watched the winner of the womens 400m hurdles.Guess where she's from.Looks like a F****** crak head to me.

Fact

Jamaica had won 7 world championship golds since 1987 up until now!! They are currently on 4 and counting for this championship.