Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Parky or Curbs

edited August 2009 in General Charlton
Imagine the takover happened 10 mins ago and have money and a willing curbishley waiting in the wings....

Would you want to fire parky and bring curbs back ...

Or keep Parky...

If he continues to do well this might get more interesting....

for me, on current form, keep Parky he deserves his chance and is doing well when a lot of others would have walked...

Comments

• Options
    What a b*stard question. Agree Parky deserves a chance but Curbs.................Yes from me but I would feel very guilty.
  • Options
    I wish people would just accept that Curbs is part of how history now. I feel for Parky a bit. He inherited a mess and couldn't save us from relegation. Now after a great start and with his hands tied all summer Curbishley is being whispered as a possible part of any new deal.

Personally I acknowledge how great Curbs was for us but I don't think it's a good idea to bring him back.
  • Options
    Can't believe this is worth debating!

Parky wins 2 games in Tier 3 and he is being compared with Curbs!!!!! LOL.
  • Options
    As much of a legend as Curbs is/was i think the old adage of never go back rings so true here. The whole Curbs/Charlton thing was a particular bond in a particular period of time. It's not the same club anymore and i expect Curbs has changed somewhat.

Parky is slowly turning things around and let's be honest, when was the last time we were this chirpy on a sunday because of our results. The comeback is on. Killer question though.
  • Options
    "As much of a legend as Curbs is/was i think the old adage of never go back rings so true here. The whole Curbs/Charlton thing was a particular bond in a particular period of time. It's not the same club anymore and i expect Curbs has changed somewhat.

Parky is slowly turning things around and let's be honest, when was the last time we were this chirpy on a sunday because of our results. The comeback is on. Killer question though."

SPOT ON!
  • Options
    CURBISHLEY WILL NOT MANAGE CHARLTON AGAIN.
    Director of Football, yes (whether above Parkinson or someone else).
    Manager, no.
    Simple as.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: floydandharvey[/cite]CURBISHLEY WILL NOT MANAGE CHARLTON AGAIN.
    Director of Football, yes (whether above Parkinson or someone else).
    Manager, no.
    Simple as.

Are you missing a imho on that postfloydandharvey ?
  • Options
    Curbs is a proven Premiership manager, Parky is not. Parky is not even a proven Championship manager.
    However Parky has conducted himself admirably in extremely difficult circumstances. Therefore ideally I'd like to give Parky a go, with Curbs coming in as Director of football. If they could work together, Curbs experience and knowledge could be a great help to Parky.
    Of course, should Parky stuff up, Curbs would be waiting in the wings to take over.
  • Options
    I'm not so sure going back would be a good thing, like others have said.

Some of the Parky haters are waiting for our first defeat to say there's a sign we should get rid of him, but he is slowly turning it around and I'm not sure any other manager could improve us any quicker than he is at the moment. The Hereford game simply showed we lack strength in depth, and with 5 first team players having minor injuries, he simply had to play a reserve side. He's doing the right things and we know he hasn't been able to bring in players like he would have done. He wants a couple more centre backs and striker, just what us as fans want, and we've got Small in as cover on the wing, and if he goes we'll try and get someone else to cover out wide.

So yeah Parky deserves a chance now, even though he wasn't the right choice when Pardew went.
  • Options
    There exists a point of view that says you can't judge anything until 8-10 matches have been played. Thats reasonable, but so is the attitude that the beginning of a season is also not a good time to judge because injuries, suspensions, long midweek away trips, poor light/pitches/weather, getting 'known' by the opposition these all unfold as a season progresses. Those in the game say 'you're as only as good as your last match', or 'we'll take one game at a time' and keep the focus narrow.
    Personally I want to judge Parkinson match by match, and so far we have had two wins and a defeat, we're out of a cup that may have been lucrative and exciting further down the road, but the two wins place us with a couple of points cushion against future difficulties....he has done fairly well so far, if we lose to Orient and draw with Walsall then we will be doing a bit below average in my view, and Parkinson will be expected by me to do something about it. I'm not sure if we can say much more than that at the moment, he is the man in posession, presumably he wants to be, he has has comparable resources with other Div 3 managers, and he should focus on accumulating league points, if he can...good, if he can't maybe someone else could.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    You can't properly get a realistic idea of anything until 8-10 matches have been played.

But what's the point of saying ."...if we lose to Orient and draw with Walsall then we will be doing a bit below average in my view, and Parkinson will be expected by me to do something about it".....?

We've got a good starting XI but Parky can't sign anyone to strengthen a paper thin squad. If we get hit by injuries or forced to sell say, Nicky Bailey - what exactly in those circumstances will you expect Parkinson to do?

We have won our first 2 League matches, which many on here didn't expect.
    We've won back to back League matches for the first time in nearly 2 years.

Why look on the black side now?
    I know it's only the Third Division but after 3 painful seasons, can't we just savour the moment ....?
  • Options
    Curbs time has been and gone and is history now, yes at the time was a legend. but also i do feel he contributed to us being where we are today, as he left us in a bad position and then we had mugs come in who have made it even worse.

Parky deserves his chance and lets hope he can keep it up, altho i do think he needs to learn how to sub players at right times and the right players
  • Options
    Parky has started the season well and needs backing with new players to beef up the squad.Otherwise we could be pegged back.

Hereford was noticably worse than the other two games Spring in particular disappointed me.

Parky's signings have been good ,Christian Dailly in particular has impressed me and reading his comments in the programme he wants to be here.Although I know he won't last the whole season. I wish we had signed him last year.

he needs backing not uncertainty
  • Options
    I agree with the category who believe charlton's relationship with curbs has been and gone. He is an absolute legend and nobody will ever do the same job at our club. What i think people need to realise, is that the game has changed and so have footballers in general. I dont think you would find a rufus, mendonca or a mark kinsella anymore, players which you could say aided curb's success with charlton. If he was to come in as manager he would be working with a set of players who havent been brought up through himself and also (what someone else has said before) Curbs may even have changed himself!
    The category who are completely against parky are probably bored of reading "parky has conducted himself brilliantly under extreme pressure", unfortunately for you guys, its true! I do like parky alot and he may not seem like a fantastic tactician at times (although a lot better than pardew) but if he has the players backing along with his forever positive attitude, then maybe he is just the person we need to mount a climb. Now the anti-parkys may be disgusted with me saying that...but i would like to see him given a fair crack of the whip!

After all, we didnt exactly set the world alight in the first few seasons under curbs either did we??!!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cafc_se7[/cite]I agree with the category who believe charlton's relationship with curbs has been and gone. He is an absolute legend and nobody will ever do the same job at our club. What i think people need to realise, is that the game has changed and so have footballers in general. I dont think you would find a rufus, mendonca or a mark kinsella anymore, players which you could say aided curb's success with charlton. If he was to come in as manager he would be working with a set of players who havent been brought up through himself and also (what someone else has said before) Curbs may even have changed himself!
    The category who are completely against parky are probably bored of reading "parky has conducted himself brilliantly under extreme pressure", unfortunately for you guys, its true! I do like parky alot and he may not seem like a fantastic tactician at times (although a lot better than pardew) but if he has the players backing along with his forever positive attitude, then maybe he is just the person we need to mount a climb. Now the anti-parkys may be disgusted with me saying that...but i would like to see him given a fair crack of the whip!

After all, we didnt exactly set the world alight in the first few seasons under curbs either did we??!!!

here! here! well sed :-)
  • Options
    Good post, cafc_se7. Well said.
  • Options
    Parky for me..... I agree with JohnnyBev. Curbs had his time and did well. He was a Legend. Initially although I was happy for Curbs to go as things got stale.. when rumours of our impending takeover were ongoing i was happy for curbs to come back. However, from the moment he has come in... I have a lot of respect for him. He could've walked away... he didn't. He has handled himself well with great dignitiy and stated what a great club this is. He has managed to Shelvey to sign for us. Bailey is still with us and Racon is still with us. All have stated "they are happy at Charlton".

In pre-season I have never seen such a tight night bunch of players that want to play for each other and want to win (as opposed to going through the motions... The problem will come WHEN? the takeover happens and he has money to spend on players... he will need to bring good players in but you don't want to upset that good atmosphere that is at the club at the moment !! They know their jobs the players and playing for their manager. We have not had that for 3 years !!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]You can't properly get a realistic idea of anything until 8-10 matches have been played.

But what's the point of saying ."...if we lose to Orient and draw with Walsall then we will be doing a bit below average in my view, and Parkinson will be expected by me to do something about it".....?

We've got a good starting XI but Parky can't sign anyone to strengthen a paper thin squad. If we get hit by injuries or forced to sell say, Nicky Bailey - what exactly in those circumstances will you expect Parkinson to do?

We have won our first 2 League matches, which many on here didn't expect.
    We've won back to back League matches for the first time in nearly 2 years.

Why look on the black side now?
    I know it's only the Third Division but after 3 painful seasons, can't we just savour the moment ....?

Savour the moment by all means, and if we win on Tuesday and Saturday we will all have an irresistable spring in our step. The feeling from me though is that third division football is unacceptable for us, we have similar constraints to most other clubs in this division, and Parkinson should solely concentrate on doing whatever to get points. If we have a player crisis or have to sell somebody then park the bus or step up training or whatever, but don't moan about it, face problems head on and try to deal with them, no shrugging of shoulders with an 'everybody can see we need.....' response. Get the points to get up the league, if Parkinson can get points at the front end of the season they are just the same as points gained anytime, and whats more they can build confidence and act as a cushion against future hard times.
  • Options
    I would think the Hereford result was expected by many, given the depth of the squad. The league is our priority, and i think we will have more of a go at the paint trophy, which we would have a chance of doing well in. We were never going to win the Carling cup,or the F.A cup for that matter. Parky is doing alright,as Oggy says lets enjoy it.See you all at Orient.
  • Options
    always think its best to leave a winning combination. as has already been said. its been a long time since ive been smiling two weekends running. ive been under sh't loads of pressure at work lately and it chucks it all to one side till monday morning. thanks parky and the boys!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chaz Hill[/cite]Can't believe this is worth debating!

Parky wins 2 games in Tier 3 and he is being compared with Curbs!!!!! LOL.
    You're right. It's so unfair. Curbs never won a game in tier 3.
  • Options
    I'm not completely up on the history of Charlton but hadn't Curbs had enough and left (shoot me down if i'm wrong). Parky hasn't left even when people were calling for his head (yes you's on here) he stuck at it. Close season no money not even sure he had a job he still stuck at it. Yes the players everyone thought would be gone are still here and as i've said on previous threads this is partly to do with Parky that they are. It was said he should do the honourable thing and leave i'm bloody glad he never. I think everyone should get behind him now and stop dragging up the past. Yes this is third tier as some have mentioned and we aint played anyone fantastic but you can only beat whats in front of you. Two league wins in two games says it all to me.... Roll on Tuesday
  • Options
    Good boy unc!Come on you reds, bring on orient!
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Chaz Hill[/cite]Can't believe this is worth debating!

Parky wins 2 games in Tier 3 and he is being compared with Curbs!!!!! LOL.[/quote]

Amazing aint it
  • Options
    In what way is he being compared to Curbs. It's just a question which needs asking, Curbs is a club legend, agreed, Parky isn't.........................................................YET!!!

Now lets get behind Parky and the boys on tuesday and see if 3 is the magic number.
  • Options
    Parky or Curbs?
    Brixton or Paris? Where do you want to go?
  • Options
    Come on guys - most of us could win more games in the division than not if we had a midfield of Racon, Sam, Shelvey, Semedo and Shelvey! None of those are Parky players.... However, he's done very well to get Dailly in and with Solly, Youga, Burton and Elliot making our best 11 up - you can say he's got a sprinkling of his own side now.

Fair play to him - but let's not get carried away.

However for anybody to ask the question, Parky or Curbs .... Aye carumba ...!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: supaclive[/cite]Come on guys - most of us could win more games in the division than not if we had a midfield of Racon, Sam, Shelvey, Semedo and Shelvey! None of those are Parky players.... However, he's done very well to get Dailly in and with Solly, Youga, Burton and Elliot making our best 11 up - you can say he's got a sprinkling of his own side now.

Fair play to him - but let's not get carried away.

However for anybody to ask the question, Parky or Curbs .... Aye carumba ...!

Two Jonjo`s would be awesome I agree ;0)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: supaclive[/cite]Come on guys - most of us could win more games in the division than not if we had a midfield of Racon, Sam, Shelvey, Semedo and Shelvey! None of those are Parky players....

Maybe not but Parky managed to keep them here when everyone thought they would go
  • Options
    what does jonjo think of parky please uncle?