Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Disallowed Palace Goal

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Even in rugby technolgy doesn't always work. Invariably the video ref gets to make a decision where the evidence is far from clear cut and has to make a decision based on an assumption of what happened rather than on what he can see. For example in the second SA-Lions Test a South African player scored a controversial try after his foot appeared to slide out of play. In the last World Cup Final England were denied a try under similar circumstances.

The only solution is either to use some kind of technology that sets off an alarm if the ball crosses the line or goes out of play, but that has been tried and it didn't work (from memory someone at Nuremberg university tried to develop something that would also tell if a player was offside when the ball was played), in any case it would be prohibitively expensive to have this in operation at every pro football match just so it can catch the once every season example of where a ball crosses/doesn't cross the line and a goal is scored (or not). More reasonably an informal rule where the players 'fess up and tell the referee that the ball crossed the line could be introduced by the players themselves. Other sports have a code of unofficial ethics - eg in snooker or golf if a player accidentally hits the ball and no one sees it the player concerned admits the error.

Then again it did happen to Palace...
  • Options
    I guess technically the goal wasn't disallowed. The offcials never thought it was a goal.
  • Options
    Good old Paddy Power

http://blog.paddypower.com/blog/
  • Options
    As it happened to Palace I had a good chuckle but it has to be said the officials f@cked up big. I feel so sorry for the team that I tipped to win the Championship..........................not.
  • Options
    The bit of technology I'd really like to introduce to resolve this kind of situation is a large wooden stick with which complaining managers and their equally mouthy day-glo chairmen are publicly beaten until they shut the f**k up.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    [cite]Posted By: IdleHans[/cite]The bit of technology I'd really like to introduce to resolve this kind of situation is a large wooden stick with which complaining managers and their equally mouthy day-glo chairmen are publicly beaten until they shut the f**k up.
    Hope they televise that and show it on the big screen at half time too