Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Parky chanting

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: RodneyCharltonTrotta[/cite]
    Luckiest man in footaball at the moment is Parkinson to have pretty much a season to turn it around after the shambles last year.
    Yeah, except for the fact he's basically doing the job for Assistant Manager's money and is unlikely to see anoher job at this level after what he's done here. Unless next season is a raging success, which seems unlikely.

You get paid what you merit (in fact in football probably a hell of a lot more where most are concerned). If he does the business and gets us promoted or does enough to warrant a move to another club then he will have earned extra money. If he performs like last season then he wont deserve any more cash as any of us could emulate those kind of results and would probably love to take the job for half the money he is on.
  • Options
    If he "performs" like last season this club will be in admin and might go to the wall !

Dont boo , but cant give this guy a blank canvas he owes us big time.

Another huge gamble by the Board in keeping him at the helm---------------lets hope this time their mug punt actually comes off, if not ??????
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]If he "performs" like last season this club will be in admin and might go to the wall !

Sharing at Selhurst was one thing but if we ended up at the Wall I dont think I could bear it!
  • Options
    Get behind the team, not the manager.
  • Options
    Its harsh to bemoan him playing 4-5-1 he said several times that he would have prefered not to, but recognised that our midfielders had more chance of scoring than our strikers did.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RodneyCharltonTrotta[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]If he "performs" like last season this club will be in admin and might go to the wall!

Sharing at Selhurst was one thing but if we ended up at the Wall I dont think I could bear it!

Please, don't start Groucho off :-)
  • Options
    Nice and optimistic pavo, as most know I'm of the opinion that Parky should of gone with pardew, a proper clean out. But that was then and in the past no point harping on about it, Parky has been lucky? unlucky? doesnt really matter last season is behind us now. One thing I know I'd rather him in than Pardew or Dowie.

So let the season start and make the team (including Parky) feel that they are appreciated and a part of us so that they enjoy playing for passionate fans not finkle spurs types.. I'm happy to get behind them all (even dickson) and let them start on a clean sheet with no exceptions. when will I stop cheering I think that is irrelevant my concern is now and them starting the season full of confidence rather than haunted with the crap past..

(just put pavos tin hat on)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Bobbolder[/cite]Nice and optimistic pavo, as most know I'm of the opinion that Parky should of gone with pardew, a proper clean out. But that was then and in the past no point harping on about it, Parky has been lucky? unlucky? doesnt really matter last season is behind us now. One thing I know I'd rather him in than Pardew or Dowie.

So let the season start and make the team (including Parky) feel that they are appreciated and a part of us so that they enjoy playing for passionate fans not finkle spurs types.. I'm happy to get behind them all (even dickson) and let them start on a clean sheet with no exceptions. when will I stop cheering I think that is irrelevant my concern is now and them starting the season full of confidence rather than haunted with the crap past..

(just put pavos tin hat on)

Spot on, great comment.
  • Options
    100% with Bobbolder.
  • Options
    does this 'love-in' include the Board ?

One Derek Chappell, there's only one Derek Chappell ..........
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It is said over and over again that 'true' fans give the players a lift, and are pro-active in their support. That's certainly true of an away cup game against a higher placed team for example. Personally I feel so detatched from the squad and the team (Robbie an honourable exception) that my support initially is very likely to be the responsive type. Try hard, win a tackle, chase back, have a shot, hit the wood work, beat a player, elicit a good save, score a goal, defend well, win the game...these are the things I will probably respond to next season, the players will need to earn it from me. Philip Parkinson, our manager or not, has not done enough to get blind loyalty from me, neither have the players by and large...I hope they win me over by winning.
  • Options
    My point isnt about blind loyalty as you have no garrentees in football as you know, all you can do is support what you have as charlton is what you support. So that is a type of blind loyalty for us all?

I find it strange why people say win me over or earn it from me like you as an individual are more important than us blind following fans, its not just your comment seth heard it in more places, but would you explain what would they need to do? win 3 out of 3 games? promotion? win by showing desire but its 1-0 win via an own goal? is there a standard to be won over by the team you support or to forget the recent crap of last season and season before? ;o)
  • Options
    I've decided to take the hat off Bobbolder and I'm singing from the same songsheet as you and less pelters (actually zero than I'd expected). As for any chanting being a statement of loyalty, not from my perspective, this is purely a motivational device and signal of intent, we will get behind him and his team because we are Charlton fans and may be able to get another 10% by doing so. If our efforts are unrewarded and we start seeing laziness and lack of results, silence it will be from me.
  • Options
    Bob, I am certainly not more important than the newest of the new fan, or rock steady followers of Charlton. it's about feeling like I have been put through the wringer these past two or three years, and after being so steadfast (going back to 1963) that i want to respond to some positive actions by the players and manager. So for me, yes they do need to win me over.
    As for what they have to do...averag winning every home game, and drawing every away game.
  • Options
    so we know if your won over by the stats at the end of the season.. at least the team have the following season to win you over again.
  • Options
    .....not every season, but this season I want wins, i'm fed up continually going to the Valley to be made miserable.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: seth plum[/cite].....not every season, but this season I want wins, i'm fed up continually going to the Valley to be made miserable.

Remember the days when Mourinhio and wenger used to say that!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]does this 'love-in' include the Board ?

One Derek Chappell, there's only one Derek Chappell ..........

It all depends on the "results!"
    But you already knew that.
  • Options
    We just need to get behind the team now, because to do anything else would be counterproductive.

If we want anything else other than instant failure, we really have no other choice. I think most people realise that.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bigstemarra[/cite]We just need to get behind the team now, because to do anything else would be counterproductive.

If we want anything else other than instant failure, we really have no other choice. I think most people realise that.

Absolutely.
    Behind the team.
    But Parky can be left out of the equasion individually, until his performance warrants it, either way.

There are very few clubs that have as many people that would be willing to give Parky a clean slate to start the campaign after last season's abject failure, as Charlton fans.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Parky is trying his upmost to help Charlton he has a unstable board to work with, fans are against him he has no real support but still is managing to cope under the pressure and build on the backroom staff, get rid of the highest earners and players not commited towards Charlton and make 3 free defensive signings to build on the squad, give faith and support to the younger charlton players, and run a pre-season aimed for Football League One.

Now we can all pull together and get behind this man to get us back to the Championship or just drive him out of here and wait a while because i personally dont think many guys whould fancy the Charlton job at the present time.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AddickRam[/cite]Parky is trying his upmost to help Charlton he has a unstable board to work with, fans are against him he has no real support but still is managing to cope under the pressure and build on the backroom staff, get rid of the highest earners and players not commited towards Charlton and make 3 free defensive signings to build on the squad, give faith and support to the younger charlton players, and run a pre-season aimed for Football League One.

Now we can all pull together and get behind this man to get us back to the Championship or just drive him out of here and wait a while because i personally dont think many guys whould fancy the Charlton job at the present time.

Well said AR.

Let's stop beating him up for last season and see how he gets on shaping his own squad for the first time in very difficult circumstances.
    Could be the making of him.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: American_Addick[/cite]
    Absolutely.
    Behind the team.
    But Parky can be left out of the equasion individually, until his performance warrants it, either way.

There are very few clubs that have as many people that would be willing to give Parky a clean slate to start the campaign after last season's abject failure, as Charlton fans.

So it's helpful and important to get behind the players, but not helpful or important to get behind the manager?
    The players who let us down and under-performed massively last season (and before that for some) get support and a clean slate, but that can't be offered to the manager?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AddickRam[/cite]Parky is trying his upmost to help Charlton he has a unstable board to work with, fans are against him he has no real support but still is managing to cope under the pressure and build on the backroom staff, get rid of the highest earners and players not commited towards Charlton and make 3 free defensive signings to build on the squad, give faith and support to the younger charlton players, and run a pre-season aimed for Football League One.

What a sensible, well thought out post!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BBClaus[/cite]
    [cite aria-level=0 aria-posinset=0 aria-setsize=0]Posted By: American_Addick[/cite]
    Absolutely.
    Behind the team.

So it's helpful and important to get behind the players, but not helpful or important to get behind the manager?
    The players who let us down and under-performed massively last season (and before that for some) get support and a clean slate, but that can't be offered to the manager?

It is pretty much a new team, and certainly is a new unit ... and backing the team, while they are playing, can lift them.
    I doubt that Parky would make any better decisions after hearing his name chanted. Getting a clean slate, and being left unfettered to do the job, is still giving a lot to the manager with the worst record in club history. Or do you prefer to carry on where we left off last season and start by giving him stick?
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    It is pretty much a new team, and certainly is a new unit ... and backing the team, while they are playing, can lift them.
    I doubt that Parky would make any better decisions after hearing his name chanted. Getting a clean slate, and being left unfettered to do the job, is still giving a lot to the manager with the worst record in club history. Or do you prefer to carry on where we left off last season and start by giving him stick?

We've only brought in 3 players so not that much of a new team. I don't see the difference between giving the players a fresh start and offering one to the manager.

Hearing his name chanted won't improve parky's decision-making but then neither will getting behind the players directly improve Youga's positioning. It's not about that, it's about showing unity and creating a good atmosphere for the staff to work in. That can only help, imo. especially as we can't even afford to get rid of the manager anyway!

obviously i wouldn't prefer to start off by giving parkinson stick. I just don't see it as a great kindness to give him some time and a bit of support, it's just doing what is in the club's interests.
  • Options
    great points bbclaus
  • Options
    Agreed.
  • Options
    it's not actually about whether parky's name is chanted, though i do think it would be a good show of support and unity as i said.

It's more the attitude of ''i'll support parkinson when he deserves it'' that i'm arguing against. I'm not sure it's good enough. I think it will very quickly lead to getting on his back, questioning him at every opportunity and not giving him time. I just think get behind everyone, without making exceptions.

(is it weird to respond to your own posts? ;-) )
  • Options
    Bloke who sits next to me spoke to Racon and Youga at a fans do somewhere.

The gist of what they allegedly said was that Pardew totally destroyed the confidence of Youga and Wagstaff amongst others and Parky had to spend a lot of time putting it all together again. They also apparently said that the dressing room (including the main players) was 100% behind Parky.

As I said before we may not think he should have got the job but he is at the helm and if we want the Club to progress then we must back both him and the players.