Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Parky chanting

edited July 2009 in General Charlton
My tin hat is firmly on, but now that it is obvious that Parky is our man this season, I reckon we should get behind him and start chanting his name during games. Maybe some have done this last season already? I haven't and neither have I heard it, but I want all teams coming to the Valley (at least) knowing we are a club, a family and we are right behind the entire team. I am prepared to get right behind him, he appears to be getting things together and I think we should offer him a clean slate.

Comments

• I couldn't agree more. As recently as a few weeks ago I was fuming that the worst manager in our history was still in charge for the new season... but as someone who was anti-Curbishley after the Gritt sacking all those years ago, I'm now thinking maybe he deserves a chance. Maybe we'll look back in ten years and be glad the board stuck by him?

Obviously if his record at the start of this season continues on from last year then my position will change but right now he's making the right noises, the players seem behind him and as fans of CAFC all we can do is give the team and Parky 100% backing from the minute the first ball is kicked. Anything else would be counter productive and make another bad season a self fulfilling prophecy.
  • It's a nice thought but Im sorry I cant chant for the guy until he actually achieves something other than failure! If anything I wouldnt want to demonstrate support if it means keeping him in the job at the expense of a better opportunity because the board think the fans love him!
  • Yes, he did a great job last year.

GET BEHIND HIM!

gibber, gibber, gibber.
  • edited July 2009
    [cite]Posted By: blackheathaddick[/cite]It's a nice thought but Im sorry I cant chant for the guy until he actually achieves something other than failure! If anything I wouldnt want to demonstrate support if it means keeping him in the job at the expense of a better opportunity because the board think the fans love him!

I agree with this. I want him to succeed because I want Charlton to succeed but vocal backing ? A step too far for me at the moment. He needs to show that he deserves that backing and so far he has done nothing to warrant me singing his name. Unfortunately I really think he is the wrong man for the job and that we will be singing his name after four or five games but in a different context. Hope I'm wrong though.
  • If he had got us into the mess we are in I would disagree, but he didn't. Alan 'sack of monkey shit' Pardew did, Parkinson could of walked away and I think it took some balls to stand up and accept the challenge. Noone would of kept us up last year with the shower that was there to work with and the level of moral that collective shower was in.

Phil Parkinson the player I remember as a tough, no-nonsense player. The manager at Colchester who made his name and was heralded when Pardew bought him in, is the manager of my club. He has my backing, He just has a bloody difficult name to sing anything to!!

I will not forgive or forget Pardew saying at the village hotel in Maidstone that IF we went down, we would need some solid, hard men in the side who could do 45 physically demanding games a season. He then proceeded to spend 10 million pounds on not one player who I would describe as hard or solid. Iwelumo doesn't count as he was on a free.

Parkinson deserves a chance, to be fair to him he could of dropped out and let Kinsella take on the undo-able task but he didn't so I back Parkinson.
  • edited July 2009
    [cite]Posted By: LeaburnForEngland[/cite]I'm now thinking maybe he deserves a chance.

Deserves a chance?
    He deserved a chance to be caretaker manager.
    That was it. And he failed.
    No wins in 8 matches. But he got the job anyway. It's all about "results!"
    He didn't deserve to be made "permanent manager." But he still was, and he led the club to the worst period in its 104-year history.
    He deserved to be fired. Again.
    But he wasn't, if for no other reason that he became a victim of circumstance with another year on his contract, a skint board and a protracted takeover bid.

As long as he has the job, I'll wish him well. Despite seeing no evidence that he is actually up to the task.

So while I wish him success, I would not chant his name.
    That should be earned, not automatic for anyone in the manager's seat.

To date, Parky hasn't earned anything.
  • parky aint done fck all for our football club yet if things go wrong all you people who said back him will be calling for his head i gave the man a chance last season and he got it terribly wrong playing 1 man up front didnt work but he kept doing it week after week . i dont think he is the right man for the job never have done we need a strong character to give our players a kick up the arse and anyway who said he is in charge next season if this so called takeover does happen whos to say that the buyers dont have another agenda personally i will back parky but if it goes wrong i feel 4 him cos the fans will turn .
  • Completely agree, we need to give him a chance at our new level and as we are a fickle lot if he did put a few wins together at the start of the season then we would start chanting his name then , so lets start the season on a postive footing
  • i mean he was the carnting coach for nearly 2 years of this shambles of shit we've had to watch
    yet the blinkered think it has nothing to do with him ffs
    even he'd admit he was part of that shambles but he isn't doing us any favours by staying it's his job and he has bills to pay ffs
    and you can't tell me that we've got that bad a squad to go down 13 points from safety especially as there was some 'improved' performances at the end
    he took over a demoralised squad of players that he'd been around as they got demoralised for 2 years and he got them playing worse ffs he took over 3rd bottom and went down bottom by a country mile
    but despite his poor track record with us of course we all want him to do well , fingers crossed
  • we all want parky to do well but i dont think he is the man for the job and i know there is plenty more people that think the same ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Guys I think he is doing a great job moulding a team from the disjointed bunch he inherited. Team spirit looks good and based on the performance against Ipswich look like they can play some football.

He has handled himself well in the close season when the takeover must be unsettling for him and the team.

Lets get behind him
  • Gauging from most comments since he has been in charge to start chanting his name 'hypocrisy' comes to mind.

You can all show unity by getting behind the team it doesn't have to include shouting Parky's name and you know if things start going pear shape he will get stick.

I hope the guy does well and gets us back up for all our sakes but lets keep it in perspective for the time being.
  • you have to earn the fans respect and he will this year in my opinon...
  • [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]you have to earn the fans respect and he will this year in my opinon...

He has earned mine already
  • Just carry on booing as usual. Cos that's worked so well so far.
  • Parky wears a frown
    ‘Cos he took us down
    He’s a bit of a clown
    But he’s Charlton’s own
    Ooooh Parky
    Ooooh Parky
  • How about:

Confidence is a preference for the habitual crap manager known as... Parky!
    And defeat can be avoided if you take a route straight through what is known as... Parky!
    He’s got brewer's droop, he gets intimidated by the Palace - they love a bit of it… Parky!
    Who's that playing 4-5-1 ? You should cut down on your midfielders mate, get some strikers….Parky !

Could catch on I think
  • Yes we need to get 100 per cent behind the team, the team includes Parky. Our suppport or lack of it has a huge effect on the team. We all know that confidence and belief are important lets do what we can to help give the team that.
  • If we start winning people will soon chant his name (in a positive way).

If we are losing people will soon start calling for his head.

Such is the way of football.
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]If we start winning people will soon chant his name (in a positive way).

Thank you Sigmund
  • Sponsored links:

• Whether you agree or disagree with the circumstances of his appointment Parky is the man at the helm.

He appears to be doing his best in trying circumstances and does not spout bullsh** blaming fans, Club songs, location of away fans, training ground decor in short everybody but himself unlike the 21st Century Mullery!

I want Charlton to succeed once more. That will only happen if the fans get behind the shirt and the management in my opinion.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: KBslittlesis[/cite]Just carry on booing as usual. Cos that's worked so well so far.[/quote]

but no-one is saying boo him (yet, but it will happen imo) and there is a big difference between that and cheering his name. He's done nothing yet for fans to start chanting his name. We did that straight off when our supposed savious Pardoo arrived and look where that got us. Hopefully in time Parky will win us over and earn the accolades he'd then receive but until he does no way Jose.
  • [cite]Posted By: American_Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LeaburnForEngland[/cite]I'm now thinking maybe he deserves a chance.

Deserves a chance?
    He deserved a chance to be caretaker manager.
    That was it. And he failed.
    No wins in 8 matches. But he got the job anyway. It's all about "results!"
    He didn't deserve to be made "permanent manager." But he still was, and he led the club to the worst period in its 104-year history.
    He deserved to be fired. Again.
    But he wasn't, if for no other reason that he became a victim of circumstance with another year on his contract, a skint board and a protracted takeover bid.

As long as he has the job, I'll wish him well. Despite seeingno evidencethat he is actually up to the task.

So while I wish him success, I would not chant his name.
    That should be earned, not automatic for anyone in the manager's seat.

To date, Parky hasn't earned anything.

AA you seem to be suggesting that someone sometime said that Parky would only be retained on the outcome of results....have I missed something here...where and when was that?
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]If we start winning people will soon chant his name (in a positive way).

I think we all know he's at the last chance saloon....he has to start getting some decent results and very very quickly.
  • edited July 2009
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]If we start winning people will soon chant his name (in a positive way).

I think we all know he's at the last chance saloon....he has to start getting some decent results and very very quickly.

Not if Parky is part of the consortium taking over the club. Job for life.
  • It's too late in the day to replace him now. Even if a takoever did occur a new manager wouldnt have the time to get to know the current squad and learn his best side let alone to work out what areas we are lacking in and work out what players would fit the requirements on the transfer market.

Luckiest man in footaball at the moment is Parkinson to have pretty much a season to turn it around after the shambles last year.
  • [cite]Posted By: Pavo[/cite]My tin hat is firmly on, but now that it is obvious that Parky is our man this season, I reckon we should get behind him and start chanting his name during games. Maybe some have done this last season already? I haven't and neither have I heard it, but I want all teams coming to the Valley (at least) knowing we are a club, a family and we are right behind the entire team. I am prepared to get right behind him, he appears to be getting things together and I think we should offer him a clean slate.

I completely agree.

It's a new season, so why not get behind him on the first day of the season. If he has a terrible record after 10 games and people want to have a go then fine, but it's a new start and he's the manager like it or not. Hearing the fans get behind Parky could help settle the players and give a feel of unity that we really need.

Some football fans seem to go in for the cut off your nose to spite your face approach - Charlton succeeding is what we all want more than anything but they'd rather hold back some support on a small principle or prejudice they hold. I don't understand how not getting behind the manager is in the interests of the club at the moment because no-one knows how he will do next season, especially when we can't even afford to get rid of him at the moment anyway.
  • [cite]Posted By: RodneyCharltonTrotta[/cite]Luckiest man in footaball at the moment is Parkinson to have pretty much a season to turn it around after the shambles last year.

Surely Mark Hughes is in with a shout for that award!
  • [cite]Posted By: RodneyCharltonTrotta[/cite]
    Luckiest man in footaball at the moment is Parkinson to have pretty much a season to turn it around after the shambles last year.
    Yeah, except for the fact he's basically doing the job for Assistant Manager's money and is unlikely to see anoher job at this level after what he's done here. Unless next season is a raging success, which seems unlikely.
  • Will be 100% behind him and the team come Wycombe and hope he and we succeed.

Unlike Mark Hughes Parkinson has little or no pressure or expectation as we have scarce resources etc and none of us are really expecting great things for the first time in past couple of seasons I would imagine. It is right though that the past is the past and come 3pm on the start of the new term he has a blank canvas and will judge him on results this year.