Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

scariest pubs

Comments

• Options
    bobmunro said:
    SE_7EVEN said:
    Jayajosh said:
    The Duchess Welling , long gone thank god. The Crown & Cushion Woolwich, could be very nationalistic venue ! The Eardley Arms Belverdere, Travellers The Five Stars & Red Lion Foots Cray Travellers ! The White Swan Crayford (Crayford Skins) The Rose Bexleyheath, if the Kent Hells Angels were in
    Add the Plough in Welling to that list.
    And the Glenmore Arms Plumstead/Welling 

I thought the Glenmore was ok - maybe it's me who's rough!

The Rose Inn in Brewery Road was a bit tasty at times!
    I think that's quite true Bob. Most of the pubs that I've been a regular in (there's been a few) have been looked at as rough, and possibly scary, by others when I've said I drink in them in the past 
  • Options
    cafcfan said:
    Back in the day, the bar in the Europa Hotel in Belfast was a bit scary. In fact the whole hotel was. But that was because you never knew whether you were going to be blown up or not. I assume it retains its title as the World's most bombed hotel?
    Went on a business trip to Belfast whilst working for a telecoms company back in the early 90’s, met up with an ex Brit squaddie and his office staff, he ran a small installation company, after marrying a Belfast girl and settling down over there. 
    They took me in the Europa for a drink, knowing it’s reputation I was more than wary, in the end had a good night in there, but it was always in the back of my mind. 
  • Options
    The King's Arms, Eltham, always had trouble. Particularly in the bar it became (late 80s can't remember the name?) But not as much trouble as the New X Inn. Never seen things kick off so regularly  as there. Monday lunchtime, Friday and Saturday nights,  the hour just after work ~ grim. 

Miss the Man of Kent & Welcome Inn. Neither scarey. But perhaps the fact I miss them is scarey!  

The Wat Tyler and The Castle and the boozer on the barnfield were desperate holes. I remember a bloke at the bar leaning over and telling me if I as much as look in his direction ever again he'd glass me. It began my fascination with pub carpeting designs! 
    Lived on the ferrier estate for many years, the Wat Tyler had a fierce reputation, it was ok if a few “faces” knew your face (didn’t happen for me until later years) 
    First time me and a couple of mates went in there, mid 80,s, I was barely 18/19, bloke walks up to my pal and says “It was f******” you lot weren’t it?”
    my mate says “us lot what?”, his reply… “you done my mate outside here last night/week etc”, my mate gave a quick no, no idea what your talking about etc, his response was “I’ll back in a minute with a shooter, best you be gone when I get back” to which he did leave, unsurprisingly we never finished our pints.

over the the years I got to know a couple of the local Herbert’s and regulars vaguely on nodding terms, knew what they got up to but kept a distance, so it was ok to go in, but it was a very rare occasion that I did.
    One small Charlton link, when Pat Van Dan Hauwe separated from Mandy Smith, he moved into his parents flat who lived in Dando crescent, 10 doors or so from me.
    He started drinking in the wat Tyler and got involved with a few of them that I knew to be Millwall fans, so he fitted in nicely. 
    Anyway, during his stay on the ferrier, I used to frequent the blackheath standard pub, he was in there one night with these wat tyler fellas, and as I knew a couple of them I got chatting to him, mentioned to him that I called him all the names under the sun when he elbowed Shaun newton at the valley, he just grinned and said “f*** him, all part of the game.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    The Raglan Burrage Rd Was always quite a night out
  • Options
    The King's Arms, Eltham, always had trouble. Particularly in the bar it became (late 80s can't remember the name?) But not as much trouble as the New X Inn. Never seen things kick off so regularly  as there. Monday lunchtime, Friday and Saturday nights,  the hour just after work ~ grim. 

Miss the Man of Kent & Welcome Inn. Neither scarey. But perhaps the fact I miss them is scarey!  

The Wat Tyler and The Castle and the boozer on the barnfield were desperate holes. I remember a bloke at the bar leaning over and telling me if I as much as look in his direction ever again he'd glass me. It began my fascination with pub carpeting designs! 
    Did the Kings Arms become 
    Blake’s ? A bit poncy but 
    always trouble 
  • Options

always trouble 
    You might be right with ‘Blake’s’.
    for some reason ‘knights’ sprung to my mind. Not sure where I got that from.
  • Options
    The Dun Cow - Old Kent Road.
    The Green Man - Old Kent Road.
    The Henry Cooper - Old Kent Road.

But the worst and scariest place was always Scribbles.

Why did i keep going out down the OKR??
    Scribbles was the bollocks
    We must have been lucky as we used to to the Old Kent Rd regularly and never had any bother. Used to go to all these places and also a couple of places just off the road itself, Samsons and Gillies/Jillies.
    Yes they were my regulars, plus a pub/night club called Southsides. Took my wife there on our first date and had my stag night in all 3 too.
  • Options

always trouble 
    I can remember walking past Blakes one night (late 80's/early 90's) and there was a fancy dress party going on. A bloke jumped out of a cab stark bollock naked and just bowled into the place. 
  • Options
    The Raglan Burrage Rd Was always quite a night out
    Spent many an evening / night in there, when Mick ran it.
  • Options
    Jolly Farmers in Dartford was proper scary ! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

always trouble 
    There was a Knights bar/club just up Brownhill Road in Catford, sometimes got a bit tasty in there from what my mates told me.
  • Options

always trouble 
    Knights was a club in Catford.
  • Options
    Has anyone mentioned The Harp Club in New Cross? I can't remember ever being in there (and I used it quite a bit back in the day) when there wasn't a ruck or three.
  • Options
    Jolly Farmers in Dartford was proper scary ! 
    A film called ‘Wasp’ was filmed at Jolly Farmers - starring a very young Danny Dyer - won an Oscar for best short film in 2003 https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0388534/ 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Jolly Farmers was mental. All the site workers off the places behind it went in there and then all the travellers off the site next to the railway bridge, then there was us that went there cos you only had to look about 13 to get served. Was garrity in there.
  • Options
    That Infernos or whatever it was in Welling never had a good rep.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Has anyone mentioned The Harp Club in New Cross? I can't remember ever being in there (and I used it quite a bit back in the day) when there wasn't a ruck or three.
    Yeah, been in there a few times, with the GAA team I used to play for, knowing them they were probably in the fights. Now the Venue.
  • Options
    The Warrior at Surrey Docks, and The Ship & Billet at Greenwich, opposite the old Lewis Coach booking office. My favourite quirky name for a pub is The Who’d Have Thought It in Grafty Green.
  • Options
    We can moan about our pubs, but they need to be put in context. 
    When we played Sunderland at the Stadium of Light in 2001, we went in the terminus near the ground. They were playing Vera Lynn songs.

Spoke to one of their fans walking to the ground. Told us that when they played at ours earlier in the season that he and his mates had a great night out in Woolwich! You couldn't make it up. 
  • Options
    We can moan about our pubs, but they need to be put in context. 
    When we played Sunderland at the Stadium of Light in 2001, we went in the terminus near the ground. They were playing Vera Lynn songs.

Spoke to one of their fans walking to the ground. Told us that when they played at ours earlier in the season that he and his mates had a great night out in Woolwich! You couldn't make it up. 
    To be fair, a night out in Baghdad would be a welcome break if you lived in Sunderland.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    bobmunro said:
    SE_7EVEN said:
    Jayajosh said:
    The Duchess Welling , long gone thank god. The Crown & Cushion Woolwich, could be very nationalistic venue ! The Eardley Arms Belverdere, Travellers The Five Stars & Red Lion Foots Cray Travellers ! The White Swan Crayford (Crayford Skins) The Rose Bexleyheath, if the Kent Hells Angels were in
    Add the Plough in Welling to that list.
    And the Glenmore Arms Plumstead/Welling 

I thought the Glenmore was ok - maybe it's me who's rough!

The Rose Inn in Brewery Road was a bit tasty at times!
    Glenmore Road itself always had a bad reputation in late 60s / 70s Never ventured into the pub  :D
  • Options
    Unless you knew people, pretty much all of the pubs in Erith & Slade Green in the 90s and 00s. 

Was at a family do in my early 20s at the back of the Lord Raglan when I got punched full in the face from behind (if that makes sense). There were two of them, still don't know who they were to this day, can only assume they'd wandered in from the main bar.. Before I had time to react, they were annihilated by other then family members and dumped outside. Still think it was my pony tail that sparked it off.

Also got barred from the Style & Winch (with my cousin), within an hour of getting in there one afternoon.

The Harrow was lively pretty much all of the time.

The Running Horses was like travelling back in time. If a song was playing and a stranger walked in, you could almost here that needle across the record sound and 10 seconds of tension.
  • Options
    The Dun Cow - Old Kent Road.
    The Green Man - Old Kent Road.
    The Henry Cooper - Old Kent Road.

But the worst and scariest place was always Scribbles.

Why did i keep going out down the OKR??
    Scribbles was the bollocks
    We must have been lucky as we used to to the Old Kent Rd regularly and never had any bother. Used to go to all these places and also a couple of places just off the road itself, Samsons and Gillies/Jillies.
    Yes they were my regulars, plus a pub/night club called Southsides. Took my wife there on our first date and had my stag night in all 3 too.
    Reading about the pubs in the old kent road brings back many happy memories,  spent most of my time in Samsons, Gillies, Southsides, The Victoria (Pages Walk), Red Cow, World Turned Upside Down, Dun Cow as well as the Elephant and Castle pub the list goes on, happy days the 80's and 90's were for 'disco pubs'

Was in The World Upside Down the night we won the 98 playoff final belting out Valley Floyd Road, looking back happy I survived the night 😀.
  • Options
    used to live just off Euston Road

After we got knocked out of euro 96, we ended up in a pub just behind the station in Somers Town for one last drink before closing time (not sure how, we lived other side of Euston road). Floor was full lino and full of the most nasty looking characters. We went to leave but were informed they were having a lock in and wouldn't be opening the doors for a couple of hours. we had to practically beg to be let out of the place as it looked like it was gonna erupt at any stage.

• Options
    Jolly Farmers was mental. All the site workers off the places behind it went in there and then all the travellers off the site next to the railway bridge, then there was us that went there cos you only had to look about 13 to get served. Was garrity in there.
    I’ve actually did kareoke in there and considering I can’t sing a note, was either brave or stupid 
  • Options
    I’ve actually did kareoke in there and considering I can’t sing a note, was either brave or stupid 
    Worked at Crayside Industrial estate, and yes did karaoke in there....Bat out of Hell, Knocked em dead!!
  • Options

When Percy had the kings arms late 80s/early 90s think it was known as knights at the kings arms.
    Always a ‘youngsters’ pub but never really thought it scary. Probably because I drank in the Grey.
    Yes mainly a youngsters pub. Not so much scarey as a place youngsters would try it on. Grandkids of the oldies from the Chequers down the hill I always thought... 

There was that night club down the bypass on the way to the Grey too. What was that called? 
  • Options

always trouble 
    YES!! Blake's! That's the one. And I agree with your summary! 
  • Options
    Fox under the Hill on Shooters Hill......The Emmets etc....plus the mob who caused the Woolwich Odeon Riot....never felt safe in there even though I knew all the faces......
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    ct_addick said:
    Fox under the Hill on Shooters Hill......The Emmets etc....plus the mob who caused the Woolwich Odeon Riot....never felt safe in there even though I knew all the faces......
    The Fox Under The Hill was my regular haunt back in my youth. Never seen a moments trouble in there apart from a bit of handbags over a girl every now and again. The only aggravation came from the Old Bill. They used to regularly hand out tickets for obstruction to all the cars parked down Farjeon Road - because the landlord used to refuse to pay protection money donate to the Met Police Benevolent Fund.

Edited to add: It's a crappy Hungry Horse now!