Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Royal Oak to close (re-open Aug 3rd)

Looks like it's finally about to happen....http://drinkingduringthegame.blogspot.com/. Dear oh dear.

Comments

• Options
    I was just about to post your blog as just read it.

What an absolute joke. Obviously i dont drink in there on non match days anymore but still its always nice to have a decent local. You must be right peed off living where you do! as i asked in my post - will we be let off what we owe on the lottery ? :-)
  • Options
    Thanks B - just annoyed that I paid up two weeks ago when I was last in! Ho-hum, I will now revert to the Rose of Denmark full-time.
  • Options
    I should add that the noise coming from the Oak would tend to indicate that the party is already well underway!
  • Options
    Blimey another great british pub bites teh dust

What one next?

at this rate we wont have any choice but to take the Anti
  • Options
    Its a real shame i used to love going in there for a pre match pint, it was the place to be.

over the years i have used various pubs the H&G, the cons, The swan, the bugle and lately the lib, but none seem to grab the vibe of that place for a matchday drink.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Cardinal Sin[/cite]Thanks B - just annoyed that I paid up two weeks ago when I was last in! Ho-hum, I will now revert to the Rose of Denmark full-time.

We'll stick with the anchor - much better than the royal joke anyway.
  • Options
    I thought something must be going on as there was a hire van outside last night from a rental firm in Dereham Norfolk!
  • Options
    Very sad. Have been going there before matches since me dad used to take me back in 60s. It's part of the club's history too. It was always THE Charlton pub.
  • Options
    Used to always drink in the H&G, then the Oak but have now moved up to the Bugle.
    As Leftbehind says we'll have to take the Anti back soon.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I blame Andrew Mills.
  • Options
    I BLAME CHARLTON LIFE:-

Since its invention charlton has been a downward spiral lynch smudge!!
  • Options
    Surely there are enough punters on here, even in these dark, dark commercial times, to make a success of it.

I'd chuck in some decent sheckles.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: sporaddick[/cite]I thought something must be going on as there was a hire van outside last night from a rental firm in Dereham Norfolk!

Sporaddick - very observant! The landlord moved up there over a year ago and was presumably back to clear out his remaining stuff. He won't be missed.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Cardinal Sin[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: sporaddick[/cite]I thought something must be going on as there was a hire van outside last night from a rental firm in Dereham Norfolk![/quote]

Sporaddick - very observant! The landlord moved up there over a year ago and was presumably back to clear out his remaining stuff. He won't be missed.[/quote]

He may not be but the pub will be.

Save The Oak!
  • Options
    Get prince Charles to save it, as his name sake was save by one.
  • Options
    I should be given it the amount of cash I've put over the bar. . . .
  • Options
    Surely it will be open again by the start of the season! The club should rent it would make enough on match days!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Cardinal Sin[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: sporaddick[/cite]I thought something must be going on as there was a hire van outside last night from a rental firm in Dereham Norfolk!

Sporaddick - very observant! The landlord moved up there over a year ago and was presumably back to clear out his remaining stuff. He won't be missed.

spor i dont think CS knows who you are. Lets keep him guessing.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Cardinal Sin[/cite]

spor i dont think CS knows who you are. Lets keep him guessing.

Well I think I've guessed who CS is!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It really is a sorry tale and a classic case of "how not to run a pub."

------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote above taken from the article regarding the Royal Oak closing. I could not have put it better myself. Me and my mates were regulars in the oak when Ray and Penny ran the pub and to see see how things have gone since they left is unbelievable. I really hope that a proper landlord takes over the pub and turns it back into the cracking little local it once was.
  • Options
    For me the Oak was where i made a lot of mates on match days in the early 80's when Don ran it.

I use to work Sat mornings on home games to pay for away days and loved getting in there for opening time and taking in the day and banter.

I have very fond memories from a match point of veiw only and our last game at the Valley was the place i spent the evening.

Since then with getting back to the Valley,Wembley etc has always been the place i would be on football related days due to where i lived at the time.

I met my wife in this lovely pub at the time(Ray and Penny era) and spent some good nights in there as a local now. A real shame to see this and i mean that
  • Options
    better to say i met my lovely wife in there as opposed i met my wife in this lovely pub surely?

anyway why did you go down there and drink the free beer while im at work earning the bacon?
  • Options
    lol sorry,i am not a free loader,i pay my way
  • Options
    get a room you two.

Oh, you have!
    ;o)
  • Options
    lol i knew you woudl say that off-it somehow!

(but we are not in the same room at the minute - im stuck at work)
  • Options
    The late night shift at Burger King, eh?
  • Options
    It's slipped through in dribs and drabs over the past couple of years, but from a local punter's perspective, what exactly went wrong here? What did the last owner do to alienate the locals so? Was it more than just the renovations?

So sad.
  • Options
    This is bad news. Like the place on match days, though over the years have used the valley pub, horse, watermans arms and anti in the old days, bugle, white horse, swan and anchor pre match. Guess will use the anchor at the start of the season and switch to the lib or con club when can't be bothered with the walk. Anchor is a great pub when the weather is nice.
  • Options
    This is bad news. Like the place on match days, though over the years have used the valley pub, horse, watermans arms and anti in the old days, bugle, white horse, swan and anchor pre match. Guess will use the anchor at the start of the season and switch to the lib or con club when can't be bothered with the walk. Anchor is a great pub when the weather is nice.