Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Jason Euell

Comments

• Goals are goals at the end of the day!
  • yeah but it's fair enough to judge a striker, as he was when we signed him, on how many goals he scores from open play.
  • edited July 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Barn Door Varney[/cite]Wasn't Euell our top scorer 3 seasons on the bounce? How on earth someone can say that he wasn't good for us I don't know.

The way Euell was treated by Curbishley was a disgrace. Fair enough players/managers fall out and if that is the case then get rid but to not play him, turn down decent offers for him (all while he is costing the club thousands a week in wages) takes pettyness to a new level.

I lost a lot of respect for Curbishley over the Euell saga.

You lost a lot of respect for Curbs over Euell....WTF!!!
    Do you know what went on...there could have been any number of reasons...not least being his very poor form in his last season or two with us....conversely maybe Curbs lost a lot of respect for Euell....how would you or any other fan know about things that take place at the training ground?
    Euell has significant interests outside of football in the garment/fashion industry....for example how do you know if Curbs thought he was spending too much time devoted to his business and not enough attention to his football(which is something that I had heard as a matter of fact) in that alone you 'possibly' have another slant on the issue.
  • [cite]Posted By: ColinTat[/cite]Someone at Soton released the wage details of players around about jan. Reading them it's probably not too disimilar to our own wage bill. But it was truly shocking to see how many rubbish players they've got on ten grand. Euell is one of them, and he's been awful every time I've seen him. Nothing against footballers earning well but like Baseball, if put on the injured list or old signed on a minimum wage that can be boosted on performance.

Euell had good days with us, but to see him at Middlesboro and then see him maintain ten grand a week at Soton means something is severly structurally wrong in football. Skacel was on ten grand and then there were a few other atrocious champ players getting on towards ten grand.

I think you'll also find he was on £100,000 signing on fee for each year of his two year conract. That was in addition to £10,000 per week.
  • signed for Blackpool.
  • didn't the Curbs/Euell fallout happen when Euell got sent-off at home to Man U and Curbs blamed him for the defeat?

obviously we would won otherwise as we had such a great record against them...
  • [cite]Posted By: BBClaus[/cite]wasn't he also our penalty taker though. how many of his goals for us came from the spot. Anyone?
    [cite]Posted By: BBClaus[/cite]yeah but it's fair enough to judge a striker, as he was when we signed him, on how many goals he scores from open play.

Jason Euell - 37gls, 8 pens = 21.6%

To add a little perspective on the penalties vs open play issue..

Clive Mendonca - 45gls, 14 pens = 31.1%

..and Euell did his scoring in the top flight, whilst playing a considerable amount of games in midfield. It doesn't make Super Clive any less of a player, but facts are facts.
  • Agree with Henry: he did well for us, but don't think a return would be the best thing.
  • [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Barn Door Varney[/cite]Wasn't Euell our top scorer 3 seasons on the bounce? How on earth someone can say that he wasn't good for us I don't know.

The way Euell was treated by Curbishley was a disgrace. Fair enough players/managers fall out and if that is the case then get rid but to not play him, turn down decent offers for him (all while he is costing the club thousands a week in wages) takes pettyness to a new level.

I lost a lot of respect for Curbishley over the Euell saga.

You lost a lot of respect for Curbs over Euell....WTF!!!
    Do you know what went on...there could have been any number of reasons...not least being his very poor form in his last season or two with us....conversely maybe Curbs lost a lot of respect for Euell....how would you or any other fan know about things that take place at the training ground?
    Euell has significant interests outside of football in the garment/fashion industry....for example how do you know if Curbs thought he was spending too much time devoted to his business and not enough attention to his football(which is something that I had heard as a matter of fact) in that alone you 'possibly' have another slant on the issue.

I think it's common knowledge that Euell and Curbishley fell out and it is a fact that Euell wasn't playing in the first team. It is a fact that palace offered £2 or £2.5m for him which curbishley turned down as "not enough". Can't say it is a fact that he didn't play for the first team again, but I certainly can't remember him doing so and it is a fact that he was flogged to Boro for £800k not long after.

It was clear that the relationship between Curbishley and Euell had broken down so my point was why not sell him rather than let him rot in the reserves on £20k a week?

If you have heard "facts" that he wasn't concentrating on his football, isn't that even more reason for us to get rid?

I have no "slant" on the issue. Simply my take on it bearing in mind the way Curbishley has treated players in the past after a "falling out"
  • I think he made a few starts after but mainly was left out or put on the bench and played with less than 10 mins to go
  • Sponsored links:

• If Curbs had an achilles heel it seemed to be that he held a grudge!
    Parker, to cite but one example......

Obviously he felt that the players should give 100 percent with no distractions, fair point when you are paid big money, but I thought Jason did a decent job for us.
    If only the last lot of forwards we could say the same for Darren being an exception.

I thought that he played his part and should have been sold if things beetween them were so poor they could not act professionally.
  • Wouldn't be a bad signing.... Feed the Mule and he will score
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: SE7 Expat[/cite]Wouldn't be a bad signing.... Feed the Mule and he will score[/quote]
    His goalscoring record at Middlesborough and Saints suggests otherwise... ;) We mainly played him in CM anyway.

Being serious though, Euell wasn't rated down here by many. I rated him and thought he was one of our better players last season, shame he wasn't offered a new deal tbh. He would have been a good midfielder in this league.

I wish him all the best at Blackpool.
  • edited July 2009
    He had a first touch like an elephant - but that apart, he was a quality player for us, great engine, good running with the ball, not afraid to shoot, brave enough to put his head down where angels fear to tread.

And he scored goals.

Don't forget, very soon after he had his tragedy, he specially asked to play. He fell out with Curbs spectacularly after he was sent off against Man Utd.

Curbs publicly made him scapegoat for the defeat.
    And apparently it all went off between Curbs and Euell when he reported back to training.

After a long period frozen out by Curbs, he eventually was re-instated in the 1st team squad and played a handful of matches during the remainder of that final season. But his heart didn't seem to be in it after such a long enforced absence,not surprisingly.

Palace were reported to have made that substantial £2million plus offer in the January, but Euell left for Boro the following August for just £300k, according to their website at the time.

Best of luck, Jase.
  • Really doesn't make sense, I remember at the time seeing we had rejected a bid of around £2m for Euell. Why reject a bid like that when he was rarely going to play anyway? We were clearly never going to get anywhere near what we paid for him. I guess Curbs thought we could.
  • terrible for the player.....

but hardline managers do tend to get results.... and we of course stayed up that year which was the target....
  • i remember watching Euell at home against Leicester (all the nasty Cafc fans throwing things on the pitch shock horror) and he couldnt hit a barn door. I was very worried that we spent big money on him. And then that goal against Derby away (i think).

poor first touch or not, he scored a lot of goals for us and was a major factor for the "good times" of days gone by. he did go off the boil in his last season with us but i'll remember him for the right reasons. Arsenal away - get in! Chelsea at home -get in! get in!

i doubt he would drop to league one at this stage in his career im sure another couple of seasons in the championship are where he is at.
  • [cite]Posted By: Anglia Addick[/cite]i remember watching Euell at home against Leicester (all the nasty Cafc fans throwing things on the pitch shock horror) and he couldnt hit a barn door. I was very worried that we spent big money on him. And then that goal against Derby away (i think).
    I remember that. Unknown to us, he was having terrible family problems at the time. Made me re-think the way I react to players.
  • Going to sign for Blackpool, apparently.
  • Yeah he already has, is on Blackpools OS
  • Sponsored links:

• Scores on his debut against Everton
  • Ian Holloway is a great manager.
    He once said on Gillette Soccer Satruday to play Euell when he was playing for southamp and everyone laughed. Couple of hours later Euell scored after being brought on as a sub so i can see why Ian has brought him.

Olly should of been our manager.
  • Ollie is a great bloke but not sure hes such a great manager
  • edited August 2009
    He was a great man manager and people person at Plymouth Argyle down here.
    Very highly regarded - the team played for him, and he worked miracles on a shoe string.

He came a cropper at Leicester, where he inherited a 'doom & gloom' mentality and a ship already relegation bound.

He was fired after about 3 months from Leicester the moment he disagreed with his chairman.

His No2 was of course Tim Breaker, can't remember where he is now, who would have saved Leicester if only they had won and not drawn on the last day of the season. Even so, Leicester were relegated with a record 52 points.
  • edited August 2009
    Oggy- He was a great man manager and people person at Plymouth Argyle down here.
    Very highly regarded - the team played for him, and he worked miracles on a shoe string.

That is almost exactly what my step uncle said about him the team played for him. Look at the talent Plymouth had then Ebanks-Blake, Halmosi,David Norris etc these players all went to play for bigger clubs which was not Ollie's fault according to fans. Plymouth finished in there highest ever position in the championship under ollie. His bad choice to join Leicster was proven but the relagation was not his fault. Also i heard that Ollie only agreed the deal because he was promised if relegated Leciester would keep him so he could rebuild the squad and get them promoted. He has also always had a good scouting network, always looking at teams like Man Utd and Chelsea youngsters which made them get Ebanks-Blake and Scott Sinclair (when he played good!)

Now do u think Falconwood that Ollie is a good manager?? :)
  • Good to see the ostriches emerge.
    Euell`s performances declined. He turned in some nightmare performances Euell was dropped.
    some say Curns ad a grudge, but
    He was never as good again. for any manager
    But somehow this can be turned against the man that kept us from where we are now.
    Some might say Curbs got the best out of him.

What is wrong with you Curbs~slagging fools?

Tut
  • I wouldn't particularly want euell back now, especially as he's no longer up to playing up front and we have better, younger midfieders, but I never quite understood the indifference a lot of people seem to feel towards his time with us.

True, he was a shadow of his former self by the time he left for Boro, but he scored some vital goals for us, mostly from midfield. I think I heard sometime back then that only three midfielders broke into double figures (in the premiership) over that 3 season period - Scholes, Pires and Euell. Not bad company that.

I guess it just goes to prove the old addage (sp?) that you're only as good as your last game.
  • Back on the scoresheet last night in Blackpool's 2-1 win over the barcodes.
  • Poor Jason - havng to live in Blackpool. Don't think he ever did anything to deserve that...
  • his first touch was awful but look at the effort the guy put into a game against con men like Jeffers/M Bent/Faye/Traore . Had a great heart and good luck to him at Blackpool.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!